Wide Receiver Options

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If we trade for someone I like odds of it being DK Metcalf, Devante Parker or a guy like Denzel Mims that Gute liked when they came out but didn't pan out on their team.

I would think that a move like Mims would be secondary to some other more significant acquisition. I don't think you could pick up a guy who has struggled that much and view him as a lock to be a contributor in GB.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
As I watch DeVante Parker in recent seasons, I'm not really that impressed.

Maybe it's the limitations of the offense, but he's mainly a Z running slants and comebacks. He's not particularly good getting off press or gaining yards after the catch. He's a ball winner.

Don't get me wrong-- he'd be a fine possession guy, but I don't think he's adding much substance to the offense.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
As I watch DeVante Parker in recent seasons, I'm not really that impressed.

Maybe it's the limitations of the offense, but he's mainly a Z running slants and comebacks. He's not particularly good getting off press or gaining yards after the catch. He's a ball winner.

Don't get me wrong-- he'd be a fine possession guy, but I don't think he's adding much substance to the offense.

Brandin Cooks, by contrast, plays more X and can get himself open while still looking pretty strong in contested situations. His speed isn't gone either-- he can stack defensive backs consistently.

Reaction score
Brandin Cooks, by contrast, plays more X and can get himself open while still looking pretty strong in contested situations. His speed isn't gone either-- he can stack defensive backs consistently.
He’s a better WR than Parker. However at this juncture we’d better be considering both. Lol

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think that a move like Mims would be secondary to some other more significant acquisition. I don't think you could pick up a guy who has struggled that much and view him as a lock to be a contributor in GB.

He would be a depth addition not a #1 of course unless someone wants to be a fool

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This one feels like a pipe dream, but with big investments already made in Courtland Sutton and Tim Patrick, and a highly draft K.J. Hamler on the roster, maybe the Broncos would listen to an offer on Jerry Jeudy? Wouldn't make a ton of sense given that they're trying to win right now, but I guess you never know.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@OldSchool101 has done an excellent job on his 'Packer Types' post in the draft section and many of us have also discussed tendencies of GB (which isn't the only regime to do similar)...what if Gute doesn't change anything about his approach into the draft, still primarily stays a team/organization focusing on draft and develop and not pinholing ourselves into a position. I did a mock doing precisely this with Gute's willingness to move when needed, in BOTH directions. I walked away with, when focusing on BPA vastly more and need playing backseat (still exists of course): HEADS WOULD EXPLODE IF THIS HAPPENED.

#16 - DeVonte Wyatt iDL - IMO he is a top 10 talent in this draft, and personally if he or Davis make it to the Eagles second pick at #16, I'm calling and trying to not hang up till the pick is mine, he is that good. We trade our #22 pick, #92 pick and a 6th rounder in 2023 to trade up and grab IMO a Top 10 talent at 16.

#28 - Traded away to Houston, who is staying very aggressive with their draft capital and fiscal flexibility. We net the 37th, 107th and 183rd for our 28th and 132nd

#37 - Christian Watson WR

#53 - Nicholas Petit-Frere OT

#59 - John Metchie WR

#107 - Myjai Sanders EDGE

#140 - JT Woods S

#171 - Isaac Taylor-Stuart CB

#183 - Daniel Bellinger TE

#228 - Ali Fayad EDGE

#249 - Austin Deculus OT

#258 - Baylon Specter LB
Was Alec Pierce still there at 59? I would've preferred Burks @ 28 and Pierce @ 59. DL is still a weak spot so grabbing a stud in the 1st is OK with me. Haven't done any mocks, yet, but would love a DL in top 5 picks.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was Alec Pierce still there at 59? I would've preferred Burks @ 28 and Pierce @ 59. DL is still a weak spot so grabbing a stud in the 1st is OK with me. Haven't done any mocks, yet, but would love a DL in top 5 picks.

Absolutely Pierce was there. I don’t have even a second round grade personally on him, but could understand late 2nd if WR has been depleted.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With MVS now gone and not to many viable options left in FA unless we give up a kings ransom to trade for for a WR it looks more and more as though we might see Gut take 2 WR in first unless the coaching stuff has a lot of faight in Lazard and Amos stepping up big time.

Which they should. It is a huge opportunity for both of them to strap it down and play there as. Of for thd next big contract.

Can't wait for the draft. To much anticipation. Lets get this over with lol

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With MVS now gone and not to many viable options left in FA unless we give up a kings ransom to trade for for a WR it looks more and more as though we might see Gut take 2 WR in first unless the coaching stuff has a lot of faight in Lazard and Amos stepping up big time.

Which they should. It is a huge opportunity for both of them to strap it down and play there as. Of for thd next big contract.

Can't wait for the draft. To much anticipation. Lets get this over with lol

Adrian Amos can step up all he wants, I expect zero offensive contributions from him.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am tempted by Brandin Cooks.

Are the Houston Texans seeking to fleece or compromise?

If there is even a whiff of greed, then GB should hang up the phone.

If a Day 2 or 3 pick is all that's needed to acquire Cooks, then cool, let's make a deal.

Cooks is in the last year of his deal. Currently counting 12.5M against the cap.

Is Cooks ok with going to another team without promise of a new deal?

So, let's assume Cooks wants a new deal.

GB needs the cap hit down considerably. How would a deal look?

He's made average level pay for a WR. With Adams and Hill's deal, Cooks want his money.

I am unsure GB would pay it. I don't think I would.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely Pierce was there. I don’t have even a second round grade personally on him, but could understand late 2nd if WR has been depleted.

Alec Pierce can be Jordy Nelson 2.0

Hope he's still available in the 2-3rd.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's up with Funchess? I know he sat out in the covid year and got hurt last year. So he missed the last two seasons.

Reaction score
What's up with Funchess? I know he sat out in the covid year and got hurt last year. So he missed the last two seasons.
Funchess looked strong out of the gate last season from a physical condition view, I thought. However he’s a guy that is a bit redundant also. Maybe you sign him if someone gets injured type?

There’s really only about 4-5 teams needing a WR ahead of us. It’s highly unlikely they all choose WR because only 1-2 are worthy of a early Day 1 area. I think we see 2-3 come off the board by #22.

If the Eagles already trade away a high draft pick for Parker?they may just pass altogether on WR in the teens. I’d consider leapfrogging the Pats though at #21 if our guy is there. If we play our cards with prudence? we may land a top 2 WR late teens without much substantial additional collateral.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If I’m Gute I’d go as high as #18 overall to stick our choice at WR
(if needed). It just so happens that the Saints have been a very accommodating trade partner over the years with the Packers. That leapfrogs the Pats and the Eagles #19 selection, if Philly hadn’t already used a WR at #15-#16 and they are thinking they’ll suck one away from us at #19 overall. Trade the second they make their #16 selection.

Philly is a thorn in our side this draft (and FA for that matter) Hopefully the Eagles plan on packaging 2-Day 1 selections and going after a high profile top 5 Guy. That potentially gets them out of our way

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am tempted by Brandin Cooks.

Are the Houston Texans seeking to fleece or compromise?

If there is even a whiff of greed, then GB should hang up the phone.

If a Day 2 or 3 pick is all that's needed to acquire Cooks, then cool, let's make a deal.

Cooks is in the last year of his deal. Currently counting 12.5M against the cap.

Is Cooks ok with going to another team without promise of a new deal?

So, let's assume Cooks wants a new deal.

GB needs the cap hit down considerably. How would a deal look?

He's made average level pay for a WR. With Adams and Hill's deal, Cooks want his money.

I am unsure GB would pay it. I don't think I would.

Remember that Cooks has had some brutal head injuries. My gut says he's one more head injury away from retirement. Sure he has been healthy as of late, but he carries some risk IMO. I think we need to stock the shelves with draft picks.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember that Cooks has had some brutal head injuries. My gut says he's one more head injury away from retirement. Sure he has been healthy as of late, but he carries some risk IMO. I think we need to stock the shelves with draft picks.
I don't think we need Cooks.

Even with the injuries, Cooks has the production to get a nice contract.

I just don't like the cost, which is draft pick(s) and cash to acquire and retain Cook.

I am advocating for GB to use the first 2-3 picks on WRs. I have explained the benefits of cheap and developing players that would have their rookie deals end with hopefully or regrettably a new era of Packers football.

D

Deleted member 6794

For sure. I made a list on another post that if you COMBINE what Aaron Jones and Dillon do PLUS Tonyan and Deguira we really don't need a bunch of capital at WR

The Packers definitely shouldn't solely rely on their running backs and a subpar tight end group to build their passing game around.

Is one of them Brandin Cooks by chance? I feel like that's one that might make sense for us. He's not big, but still fast, has had 1000+ yards and 6TD both of the last two seasons, and could probably come fairly cheap...

Most likely Gutekunst would have to sign Cooks to an extension to lower his $12.5 million cap hit for the 2022 season though.

I know teams convert roster bonuses into signing bonuses as a cap maneuver. Can they do the opposite? Can his prorated cap hit be turned into say a May 1st roster bonus to facilitate a trade by making the receiving team liable for the cap charge?

No.

It’s natural for us novice fans to get impatient when you look at our WR room. We could all collectively jump off a cliff holding hands, Yet those who do their jobs at a high level in player acquisition likely are not threatened with our lack of trust in their ability of our need to complain.

There seems to be these premature reactions to our current talent at WR (yours is more tempered)
Yet does anyone really believe we are no longer addressing that need?
We can keep adding talent all the way through trade deadline if needed. One of our best CB in performance wasn’t even a Packer when regular season started last year.

I fully expect the Packers to address the wide receiver position before the start of the season. At this point there's no doubt it's the most pressing need on the roster.

The Packers passing game will be just fine. Rodgers will find open receivers. Some guys will step up, and at least one will be added to the mix, via free agency or the draft, that adds decent numbers on the field.

In my opinion the Packers definitely need to add more than one decent pass catcher for the offense to be successful.

Actually Funchess hasn't played in a game in nearly three seasons and he suffered a season-ending injury in week 1 of the 2019 campaign. The Packers should pass on bringing him back.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers passing game will be just fine. Rodgers will find open receivers. Some guys will step up, and at least one will be added to the mix, via free agency or the draft, that adds decent numbers on the field.

Captain Wimm
In my opinion the Packers definitely need to add more than one decent pass catcher for the offense to be successful.
--------------------------------------

Two if Amari Rodgers doesn't move up, and one if Rodgers does. I believe Rodgers will prove to be a decent receiver. Not a 1,500 yard receiver this coming year, but good enough to be a decent part of the mix. My biggest concern is who else, on staff, will step up.

It's obvious that any free agent help will be from the low rent district, and a rookie will be of only nominal help. Since Cobb and Amari are both slot receivers, that automatically means they probably won't be a combination on the field at the same time. Take it from there.

By the way, I'm also considering that we will have a solid receiving pair at tight end, and that doesn't count against my count. Without that, it would definitely be two short no matter what. You have to have 3 out there that can catch the ball.

D

Deleted member 6794

Two if Amari Rodgers doesn't move up, and one if Rodgers does. I believe Rodgers will prove to be a decent receiver. Not a 1,500 yard receiver this coming year, but good enough to be a decent part of the mix. My biggest concern is who else, on staff, will step up.

In my opinion the Packers need to add at least two receivers even if they expect Rodgers to ascend. After his disappointing rookie season it wouldn't be smart to rely on it anyway.

It's obvious that any free agent help will be from the low rent district, and a rookie will be of only nominal help. Since Cobb and Amari are both slot receivers, that automatically means they probably won't be a combination on the field at the same time. Take it from there.

I agree the Packers should mainly be interested in receivers that are capable of playing outside as they might be able to get by with Cobb and Rodgers lining up in the slot.

By the way, I'm also considering that we will have a solid receiving pair at tight end, and that doesn't count against my count. Without that, it would definitely be two short no matter what. You have to have 3 out there that can catch the ball.

I don't consider the Packers' tight end group to be particularly strong either. Tonyan could provide a decent target for Rodgers if he's fully healthy though.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In my opinion the Packers need to add at least two receivers even if they expect Rodgers to ascend. After his disappointing rookie season it wouldn't be smart to rely on it anyway.
--------------------------------------

I agree. It might even be more. The list presently signed, and depth chart seems to be:

WR - Lazard - Taylor - Gafford
WR - Cobb - Winfree
WR - Amari Rodgers - Blair

That is definitely not the type of depth chart I like seeing, as we get closer to the season. Rotating slot, Cobb & Rodgers? That puts someone among the four others showing on the field more. Not exactly something that will strike fear in defenses. That's why I hope the Packers can grab a "plug and play" WR in the draft. He could give instant results.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every day I check the NFL transactions to see that Gutey has done to plug the hole created by the departure of DA and now MVS. Every day I see nothing. I realize the season doesn't start tomorrow but I'd like to see some action. I'm feeling mighty uneasy right now.

I don't think WR is a position where you can expect your problems to be solved with the draft in the first year--even two 1st round picks.