At receiver, the Packers currently carry:

-Allen Lazard
-Randall Cobb
-Amari Rodgers

-Rico Gafford
-Juwann Winfree
-Chris Blair
-Malik Taylor

Only the top three guys should be considered strong candidates for the 53 man roster.

So what are the veteran options to bolster this position?

Re-sign:

-Marquez Valdes-Scantling:
MVS is certainly no Adams replacement, but he plays an important role in the offense that will need to be replaced even if he doesn't return. Rumor is that he's seeking 7-10M on a one year deal to try and establish more value for a bigger deal. Something on the lower end of that would be fine, though I would be careful not to overpay.

Sign:

Intriguing Options:

-Juju Smith-Schuster: Played as a big slot in Pittsburgh; could be redundant if that's his only role. Intrigued with his ability to do more if he moves beyond the limitations of Big Ben. Signed with the Chiefs

-Will Fuller:
Fuller is still only 27 and only a year or so removed from being a high end deep threat option.

-Keelan Cole: Competent boundary receiver who has never played with a high level QB.

High Floor Options:

-Jarvis Landry: Can play slot or the Z on the outside; possession receiver. Wouldn't mind the acquisition but not overly eager.

-Emmanuel Sanders

High Risk/Reward Options:

-Odell Beckham Jr: Proved that he can still play, but he's oft injured and oft dissatisfied. Forgot about late season ACL tear

-Julio Jones:
Can still play when healthy, but that's almost never the case. I would pass.

Redundant Options:

-Jamison Crowder: Pure slot; redundant to Cobb and Rodgers. Signed with the Bills

-Cole Beasley

Trade:
With a good bit of draft capital in hand (and a QB that some teams might want to take a flier on), it's possible that the Packers could add by way of trade.

-D.K. Metcalf: Bonafide X receiver who adds a terrifying vertical element to an offense; cheap (4M base salary), entering a contract year, only 24; Hawks unlikely to want to move such a young player.

-Tyler Lockett: 29 year old, versatile, high volume receiver. Base salaries of 3M and 9.7M next two years.

-Robert Woods: 29 year old X receiver who thrives in this type of offense and is an excellent run blocker. Paced for a 1000 yard season last year but tore his ACL in November. Just replaced by Allen Robinson. Traded to the Titans

-Brandin Cooks:
28 years old; capable and versatile with a 12.5M base salary in a contract year. Should be simple to acquire.

-D.J. Moore: The dream option-- Moore is a legit WR1 with versatility. He's still just 24 years old and entering a contract year (11M base salary because of 5th year option). Unlikely to be moved; would only be because he's not in their future plans for whatever reason.* Signed extension with the Panthers

-Michael Thomas:
High risk/reward option who the Saints might try to move if they don't land Deshaun Watson. Not only did he miss all of last year and most of 2020, but he's also a head case.

-DeVante Parker: Oft injured X receiver who specializes winning at the catch point. 5.7M base salary this season and next.

-Denzel Mims: Mims has totally failed to launch in New York; I have no knowledge if that's on him or the offense or both. However, if GB had designs on him in the 2nd round of that 2020 draft, they might try a reclamation project.

-Darius Slayton: Slayton is a speedster with big play ability who could replace MVS if he's not brought back.

-Jalen Reagor: Similar to Mims-- if the Packers liked him coming out, they might try to change his scenery and see if they could unlock him.

-Marvin Jones: An unexciting possession guy who would nevertheless bring some stability to the position; Jags might be willing to move him after spending up for Kirk and Jones.

*The only reason I listed Moore as even a possibility is what the Panthers have done lately at WR. Last year they drafted Terrace Marshall, then they restructured Robby Anderson and made a longer term commitment to him, and then they signed Rashard Higgins on the open market. So are they setting themselves up to move on from Moore? Probably not, but maybe...

Updated to reflect moves that have been made since, plus I added a few more trade ideas.

Re-signing MVS and trading for Lockett or Cooks appeals to me as the ideal outcome.

If MVS doesn't come back, giving a prove-it deal to Will Fuller or trying to pick up Darius Slayton in a trade would make sense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Updated to reflect moves that have been made since, plus I added a few more trade ideas.

Re-signing MVS and trading for Lockett or Cooks appeals to me as the ideal outcome.

If MVS doesn't come back, giving a prove-it deal to Will Fuller or trying to pick up Darius Slayton in a trade would make sense.

Honestly I really love the Denzel Mims idea honestly. I wouldn't give them a 2nd for hiim as he doesn't appear to have that much value now, however I'd consider a 4th clean. Only way I'm going higher, say our third, is if they send back in return a 4th or 5th as well. Lot would depend what Gute and Co thought of Mims in his draft as well as health of Mims now.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Honestly I really love the Denzel Mims idea honestly. I wouldn't give them a 2nd for hiim as he doesn't appear to have that much value now, however I'd consider a 4th clean. Only way I'm going higher, say our third, is if they send back in return a 4th or 5th as well. Lot would depend what Gute and Co thought of Mims in his draft as well as health of Mims now.

Given how little he's produced in New York, I think it would be a late rounder or nothing (i.e. they won't trade him or be able to find a trade partner).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given how little he's produced in New York, I think it would be a late rounder or nothing (i.e. they won't trade him or be able to find a trade partner).

I mean one could argue signing Julio to a reasonable figure, a swing like the Mims costing a Day 3 and you now could easily substantiate a mindset of not forcing two WR picks before the end of Day 2 - letting it happen if it does but no need to force and it would cost you very little.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers passing game will be just fine. Rodgers will find open receivers. Some guys will step up, and at least one will be added to the mix, via free agency or the draft, that adds decent numbers on the field.

It may take a couple of games at the start of the season, but rest assured, they're going to be just fine through the air.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers passing game will be just fine. Rodgers will find open receivers. Some guys will step up, and at least one will be added to the mix, via free agency or the draft, that adds decent numbers on the field.

It may take a couple of games at the start of the season, but rest assured, they're going to be just fine through the air.
It's just too bad Rodgers has never been able to win without Adams on the field. Er... wait...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@OldSchool101 has done an excellent job on his 'Packer Types' post in the draft section and many of us have also discussed tendencies of GB (which isn't the only regime to do similar)...what if Gute doesn't change anything about his approach into the draft, still primarily stays a team/organization focusing on draft and develop and not pinholing ourselves into a position. I did a mock doing precisely this with Gute's willingness to move when needed, in BOTH directions. I walked away with, when focusing on BPA vastly more and need playing backseat (still exists of course): HEADS WOULD EXPLODE IF THIS HAPPENED.

#16 - DeVonte Wyatt iDL - IMO he is a top 10 talent in this draft, and personally if he or Davis make it to the Eagles second pick at #16, I'm calling and trying to not hang up till the pick is mine, he is that good. We trade our #22 pick, #92 pick and a 6th rounder in 2023 to trade up and grab IMO a Top 10 talent at 16.

#28 - Traded away to Houston, who is staying very aggressive with their draft capital and fiscal flexibility. We net the 37th, 107th and 183rd for our 28th and 132nd

#37 - Christian Watson WR

#53 - Nicholas Petit-Frere OT

#59 - John Metchie WR

#107 - Myjai Sanders EDGE

#140 - JT Woods S

#171 - Isaac Taylor-Stuart CB

#183 - Daniel Bellinger TE

#228 - Ali Fayad EDGE

#249 - Austin Deculus OT

#258 - Baylon Specter LB

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@OldSchool101 has done an excellent job on his 'Packer Types' post in the draft section and many of us have also discussed tendencies of GB (which isn't the only regime to do similar)...what if Gute doesn't change anything about his approach into the draft, still primarily stays a team/organization focusing on draft and develop and not pinholing ourselves into a position. I did a mock doing precisely this with Gute's willingness to move when needed, in BOTH directions. I walked away with, when focusing on BPA vastly more and need playing backseat (still exists of course): HEADS WOULD EXPLODE IF THIS HAPPENED.

#16 - DeVonte Wyatt iDL - IMO he is a top 10 talent in this draft, and personally if he or Davis make it to the Eagles second pick at #16, I'm calling and trying to not hang up till the pick is mine, he is that good. We trade our #22 pick, #92 pick and a 6th rounder in 2023 to trade up and grab IMO a Top 10 talent at 16.

#28 - Traded away to Houston, who is staying very aggressive with their draft capital and fiscal flexibility. We net the 37th, 107th and 183rd for our 28th and 132nd

#59 - John Metchie WR

#140 - JT Woods S

#228 - Ali Fayad EDGE

#249 - Austin Deculus OT

#258 - Baylon Specter LB
You’re fired, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go immediately to you’re fired.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to be on social media day 1 of the draft if they trade up to grab a DL and trade out. It will be the apocalypse.

Reaction score

#59 - John Metchie WR

#140 - JT Woods S

#228 - Ali Fayad EDGE

#249 - Austin Deculus OT

#258 - Baylon Specter LB
Now see, I like that scenario. We get a monster at DL who immediately puts Reed as a #3 and Lowry as a #4. Our currstarter

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to be on social media day 1 of the draft if they trade up to grab a DL and trade out. It will be the apocalypse.
You’re fired, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go immediately to you’re fired.

LOL Right!

Again understand that is purely sitting and pouncing at BPA. Also to be fair only Burks in that exact mock was there at 28 that even sniffs close to the grade/spot....so trading back was easier if you have "WR" tunnel vision.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now see, I like that scenario. We get a monster at DL who immediately puts Reed as a #3 and Lowry as a #4. Our currstarter
Lowry is gone after this year so you immediately have the future and arguably even the present cuz he is NASTY good. I concur.

Reaction score

#59 - John Metchie WR

#140 - JT Woods S

#228 - Ali Fayad EDGE

#249 - Austin Deculus OT

#258 - Baylon Specter LB
Now see, I like that scenario a lot. We get a monster at DL who immediately puts Reed as a #3 and Lowry as a #4. Our DL could be a top 5 overnight, but with also with average to above average depth. Then we hit WR hard twice in Round2. That’s a scenario that would be much more palatable if we resign either MVS or similar veteran who will be an assumptive starter.

These other guys obviously don’t understand what it would look like to have a top 5 DL. They’ve not seen one in 13 years. Wyatt isn’t just a guy (Lowry) he’s another Kenny Clark but faster. If we did that plus grabbed another Edge as a solid rotator with no dropoff? We’d see a marked number of Takeaways.

I’d also look to resign Sully on the cheap if possible. He’s very opportunistic and he’d get several INT with all that pressure upfront, plus he’d offer adequate and immediate depth if needed.

Also sign the best 4th round off ball LB to compete with Barnes

Last edited:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL Right!

Again understand that is purely sitting and pouncing at BPA. Also to be fair only Burks in that exact mock was there at 28 that even sniffs close to the grade/spot....so trading back was easier if you have "WR" tunnel vision.
I mean if something weird happened where all the packers top WR options were gone, this would be a consolation prize, it is not horrible outside of I feel like we are so hosed in the WR department right now

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean if something weird happened where all the packers top WR options were gone, this would be a consolation prize, it is not horrible outside of I feel like we are so hosed in the WR department right now

LOL, I get it. Personally I don't have any fear that the WR room we have now is what we enter the draft with. Either by trade or FA signing that room is not what it will be when we enter the draft. Personally in FA, I fully support a Julio Jones signing, AJ Green next for that veteran presence. I'd also for the right price trade for DK or Devante Parker as well to bolster it. Gute is king of trying to lessoning dire needs, even if by a little bit, prior to the drafts. He wants some flexibility in his picks and seems to HATE the concept of feeling pressured to pick a certain position.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, I get it. Personally I don't have any fear that the WR room we have now is what we enter the draft with. Either by trade or FA signing that room is not what it will be when we enter the draft. Personally in FA, I fully support a Julio Jones signing, AJ Green next for that veteran presence. I'd also for the right price trade for DK or Devante Parker as well to bolster it. Gute is king of trying to lessoning dire needs, even if by a little bit, prior to the drafts. He wants some flexibility in his picks and seems to HATE the concept of feeling pressured to pick a certain position.
I am on board with Julio as long as the price is good. I feel like he could have a mini resurgence with #12. He will never be the Julio people remember but would produce better than he did in Tennessee

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the whole thing shook out exactly like that I couldn't complain much.

But that said if we got to the end of night one and we'd traded up to take a DL and then traded out of the first and just had to hope that the chips fell our way for passcatching options...I think that would be a pretty nervous night for me.

It's tough to say. Someone like Wyatt falls, it's hard to say no. But it's also (IMO) going to be hard to pass on taking a WR early and then just banking on getting lucky and being able to find one later. Lotta teams that need reinforcement at that position, too...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am on board with Julio as long as the price is good. I feel like he could have a mini resurgence with #12. He will never be the Julio people remember but would produce better than he did in Tennessee

Which per snap or game the dude was still producing just not Top 5 in the league.

Reaction score
MVS going to KC

So we can eliminate that scenario

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Trading for Metcalf would obviously be a way to replace MVS that would also mean a major upgrade.

Signing Will Fuller or (if possible) acquiring Darius Slayton would be other ways to address that role.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading for Metcalf would obviously be a way to replace MVS that would also mean a major upgrade.

Signing Will Fuller or (if possible) acquiring Darius Slayton would be other ways to address that role.

If we trade for someone I like odds of it being DK Metcalf, Devante Parker or a guy like Denzel Mims that Gute liked when they came out but didn't pan out on their team.