Wide Receiver Options

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would you give up for Metcalf? He's going to be a free agent after this year. Always remember that if you give up a first for him, you have now essentially traded Adams for a guy that's under one year contract and a 2nd round pick.

If it's the latter, of our two 2nd rounders, not so bad.

I'm not enthused about it above that 2nd rounder, at the most. Also eats up a fairly sizable chunk of cap room, which they probably will regret losing somewhere along the line.
I doubt the Packers would trade for Metcalf unless they were able to agree to a long term contract. That contract IMO would be at least as much as the one Adams just signed.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What would you give up for Metcalf? He's going to be a free agent after this year. Always remember that if you give up a first for him, you have now essentially traded Adams for a guy that's under one year contract and a 2nd round pick.

If it's the latter, of our two 2nd rounders, not so bad.

I'm not enthused about it above that 2nd rounder, at the most. Also eats up a fairly sizable chunk of cap room, which they probably will regret losing somewhere along the line.

Well, think about the market.

Adams merited a 1st and a 2nd and the Raiders immediately had to give him a massive contract.

Hill merited a 1st and a 2nd and the Dolphins immediately had to give him a massive contract.

In both cases, the need for that new contract was baked into the deal. So the need to extend Metcalf after acquiring him probably wouldn't dramatically lower the price.

Personally, I think if you get him for pick #22, you've done well in comparison to the Adams and Hill deals. The guy is 24 years old, truly one of the league's elite athletes, and he's had major production to his name already.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I doubt the Packers would trade for Metcalf unless they were able to agree to a long term contract. That contract IMO would be at least as much as the one Adams just signed.

Agree with this. I think the extension would be agreed to in principle before the trade actually happened.

Otherwise, you acquire the player and they have you over a barrel because you sunk the draft capital into them via trade.

That's essentially what happened in the case of Laremy Tunsil. The Texans trade two 1st rounders and a 2nd to land Tunsil, and later moved to extend him. Tunsil's camp knew that Houston would never let him walk after paying that much to get him. So they ended up having to pay him well over the top of the market.

Similar thing happened with Hopkins. The Cardinals went way beyond market rate and now you have this massive gap in AAV where Hopkins, Adams, and Hill are 7-10M above the 3rd highest paid guys.

D.J. Moore just agreed to 3/62/42. If you could get Metcalf to go for something in that neighborhood, you do it in a heartbeat.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Lastly, I know some people are antsy about D.K. because of his outburst in our most recent game against him. I went back and watched it. It's not what you want to see, but it certainly doesn't alarm me to the point that I wouldn't want him on the Packers.

He's a very young player who clearly lets taunting get under his skin. He's also a phenom who will most likely grow up. Remember, most of his struggles in this regard have come as a 22, 23 year old guy out there.

I'd way, way rather root for an emotional kid who sometimes gets into fights on the field than a guy like Tyreek Hill who is under control in the stadium while assaulting women and children off of it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see us draft two receivers early and stay away from such high cost W/Os. We will have a good team (emphasis on team). I think we should continue to build it. As opposed to spending all the money on 1 more player. The poll showed big support for letting Adams walk and taking the 2 picks. Why put ourselves right back in the same boat?

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see us draft two receivers early and stay away from such high cost W/Os. We will have a good team (emphasis on team). I think we should continue to build it. As opposed to spending all the money on 1 more player. The poll showed big support for letting Adams walk and taking the 2 picks. Why put ourselves right back in the same boat?

I'd at least like to see someone brought in like Julio Jones or Brandin Cooks who should not break the bank in terms of dollars or years but would provide experience as well as talent.

WR is a really tough position to excel in for year 1.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll say this much, most year one WR don’t have Rodgers. We just need to win games and have the WR hitting stride by playoffs with Rodgers.

I also support a Julio signing too

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I like this idea. I believe 2 veteran WRs could be had and helps offset the pressure on a rookie WR to produce right away. Because again the odds of landing a Chase or Jefferson are pretty low, but if we can get a rookie to produce like Davante/Jennings/Jones/etc that would be o

I also believe that with MLFs scheme, AR could/would be better with this actually lol

But which 2? I still believe Green and Jones could fit or Fuller and Cooks would also be great

I believe in the next week, be first week of April we will know

Jones and Cooks would be a pretty good 1 and 2...then you still draft 1 in the the first/2nd 2 if 1 of them is Jameson Williams. Rodgers. Cobb, Lazard round out your 6

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Just ran across this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220327-181925_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220327-181925_Chrome.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 140

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there ever was a year for the Packers to draft a WR in the 1st Rd.... obviously this is the year. A case could definitely be made to draft 2 of the top 5 WR's in the 1st rd., hoping to hit gold with one, and the motherload, if you nail both picks, which would set up the receiving core for years. In all honesty, I see at least 1 of the 1st rd picks on OL or DL, and most likely OL. (Departures of Turner, Patrick, plus Big E is going to miss some time, plus the Jarran Reed signing makes DL less urgent) As for my WR preferences, I'm shading my #1 toward Burks, (I like his size, and YAC ability) My #2 guy is Olave, as they need someone to take the top off, replacing MVS... plus he just runs great routes. I would be perfectly fine drafting either one in the 1st, and if they somehow went against all Packers drafting precedent, and ended up drafting both.... WHOA NELLY!!! When it comes to FA WR's, I wouldn't mind them picking up a vet like TY Hilton, I think he could still be a great #2 WR option, should come fairly cheap, and I think he could be a guy Aaron would trust. I don't want them to trade any of the picks they received in the Adams trade for a veteran, I think it would be too steep a price, and definitely not DK Metcalf, as his next contract is going to be big $$$$. One last point, if they go with a high draft pick and a vet, I would definitely be okay drafting Metchie in the 3rd, even if means it's a red shirt year, while he rehabs from his injury... if not for the injury, he would be a lock for the 1st rd. and possibly a top 20 pick.
Good post. We share similar opinions. I think you have to double dip at the WR well.

This draft is really well balanced, with the exception of "top tier" QB talent.

I think the Packers need to diversify their WR room.

The offense consisting of QB and pass catchers should operate like a starting five unit for basketball.

Aaron Rodgers is the point guard.

Gotta have a WR1 as your shooting guard, this position must generate points either through the air or on the ground.

SF and PF should do the dirty work, their production.

These receivers offer speed, route running, YAC, big plays, and 50/50 winners.

A combo of Olave and Williams
Yeah I like this idea. I believe 2 veteran WRs could be had and helps offset the pressure on a rookie WR to produce right away. Because again the odds of landing a Chase or Jefferson are pretty low, but if we can get a rookie to produce like Davante/Jennings/Jones/etc that would be o

I also believe that with MLFs scheme, AR could/would be better with this actually lol

But which 2? I still believe Green and Jones could fit or Fuller and Cooks would also be great

I believe in the next week, be first week of April we will know

I can agree with multiple arguments made for the construction of the WR corps.

However, I am of the strong opinion; that GB must use 2 of the first 4 picks and to select a WR.

The WR depth is above average in this draft.

Versatility is key for the WR corps.

GB needs Randy Moss and a Chris Carter; a Jamar Chase and a Tee Higgins; a Jerry Rice and a John Taylor.

These variations have different components...FA/Drafted, Drafted/Drafted, etc.

I'm also greedy.

Hell, why not target 2 vets for specific needs/roles and draft 2 WRs with the first four picks?

Give AR12 as many weapons as possible and let him play point god?

My 2cents?

Sign Sammy Watkins to an incentive laden 3yr/12M deal.

Second, take a look at signing Marcus Johnson, he looked pretty good last year with the Titans.

Johnson could be had for a 2yr/6M deal with incentives built in expanding the final total.

Once the draft rolls around, if the draft picks remain in place, go draft Olave and Burks, or Williams and Burks, or Olave and Williams.

Or if bold, create a package, and jump up to get London (USC) or Garret Wilson (Ohio State).

Then, use a later pick on another WR...Alec Pierce?

Now, you have a diverse WR corp, the FA vets leave after two seasons, which would perfectly align with the ascension of the young receivers.

Naturally, receivers like Lazard, Cobb, and Amari Rogers fill out the depth.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Metcalf has proven to have better COD skills that people initially thought he might. But he's still best off on a linear route tree (slants, posts, corners, go's, screens).

If that move happened, which would be great, he would be replacing MVS's role in the offense, not Adams'.

However, that role would obviously expand tremendously with a much better player in it.

I agree totally. EXCEPT that....

As you mentioned, DK is better off on routes like slants, go/Flys, posts, screens, etc.

Aside, from back shoulder, timing and precision type, those are MOST of the routed Davante would run anyway? Am I wrong ? Lol

Wouldn't DK present a younger, ascending player to somewhat replace BOTH MVS and Adams

To the other post, correct, out of college that was his knock. DK has essentially improved his game to where we would have like MVS to have improved his game...

D

Deleted member 6794

Even Devante took a couple of years to get to be a very high level WR (38/446/11.7 in year 1).

The Packers had two elite recivers in Nelson (98/1,519/13) and Cobb (91/1,287/12) during Adams' rookie season. That definitely factored into him not putting up better numbers.

In all honesty, I see at least 1 of the 1st rd picks on OL or DL, and most likely OL. (Departures of Turner, Patrick, plus Big E is going to miss some time, plus the Jarran Reed signing makes DL less urgent)

The Packers have more pressing needs to justify spending a first rounder on an offensive lineman.

Not sure they have the money for those 2 moves.

The Packers can structure the contracts in a way to fit them under the cap for the 2022 season.

There's no way the Packers should offer Metcalf even close to the money Adams received.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way the Packers should offer Metcalf even close to the money Adams received.

What do you feel is "close"? Metcalf I bet gets near or around $20M a year given age, abilities and resume in this WR market now.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Laviska Shenault trade was brought up the other day by someone ( @Dantés maybe?) and honestly this makes a lot of sense. He is quickly becoming the odd man out despite young, with all the money Jaguars are throwing at weapon additions in JAX.

They have added Christian Kirk, Zay Jones and LaQuan Treadwell (technically a re-sign) this off season. Still on the roster is Marvin Jones, who led the team in yards and targets last year. That makes Laviska at the highest the 3A or 3B guy...

Shenault hasn't been the homerun swing many had hoped, which is arguably why Jags have made all of these moves to begin with. That said it isn't like he has been terrible either...targeted 100 times last year,63 receptions and 619 yards isn't nothing...however never finding the endzone and lack of big plays is something that is eye catching for a guy with such raw elite athleticism.

The issue with Laviska is valuing him both if you're the Jags or if you're the Packers. I think you'd have to have it be a conditional pick, given he is a former high draft pick (42nd in 2020) BUT he hasn't seemed to be what many thought he would be....however a change of scenario one could argue he could explode...but if he doesn't he truly will be a middle/bottom depth guy for his career it seems.

A 4th that could become a 3rd or two Day 3s of the later variety (one in 2022 and 2023) is about where I'm at I think and realistically I don't believe Jacksonville can expect more. I'd be very curious if we ever learn if this was even a call that placed...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
**I will add, if the hypothetical scenario of trading for Laviska were to unfold, he is very similar to the structure and offering of Treylon Burks enough to where I'd probably not target Treylon with intent.

D

Deleted member 6794

What do you feel is "close"? Metcalf I bet gets near or around $20M a year given age, abilities and resume in this WR market now.

I guess that there will be a team offering Metcalf $20 million a season but I don't want it to be the Packers. After moving on from Adams I would prefer the team to focus on getting several decent pass catchers instead of paying another one to fill his shoes.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that there will be a team offering Metcalf $20 million a season but I don't want it to be the Packers. After moving on from Adams I would prefer the team to focus on getting several decent pass catchers instead of paying another one to fill his shoes.

I actually agree, I am thinking a low grade trade for a guy like Laviska Shenault plus a FA signing of a veteran like Julio and then still getting high draft pick or picks is how I'd solve this departure of Adams. You will never find one player to replace him, it will be a collective approach to replacement.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll add a name I know many will roll eyes too and I was in that camp years back, but DeSean Jackson is a guy fully capable still it seems to be that deep threat for an offense. Last year he was active every game but one, saw limited snaps (about 26%)...however despite seeing DEEP targets had 20 receptions on 36 targets for an astounding 22.7 yards per catch.

Is he a number #1, no. Could he be...honestly at this stage of his career I say no.

Could he fill that MVS support field stretcher role still, yes. Especially if only for a year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listing out all the various "realistic" FA options

Free Agents:

Jarvis Landry
- I've crossed his name off my list and suspect Gute has as well given what it is rumored he thinks he needs to be paid, and he operates mainly out of the slot - we need that outside help.

Julio Jones - He is my choice to add presently of anyone that could even possibly be that WR1B level (his clear WR1 days are gone IMO) type guy here in Green Bay. Savvy route runner still gets him open and his per snap when playing is still very good. Health is the only kicker with Julio, but that and his age means he shouldn't cost an incredible amount base wise, perhaps incentives might bump him to be more costly.

AJ Green - Of the veterans he is probably behind Jones on potential WR1B type level. Slightly less productive than Jones is but still last year proved fully capable of helping a team and saw the field more than years prior like Jones. Dude put up just shy of 850 yards last year for Arizona - he still can play.

Will Fuller - Unlike Jones and Green, Fuller one could argue still may have a few years being a teams #1 outside WR threat...however health and production questions are there...so are cost expectations for him. He is still 27 and fully expects to get paid seeing Kirk and MVS and other WRs that he no doubt views as inferior. It is for the cost that makes me think this is not as likely as I did earlier in the off season.

Keelan Cole - Noted solely for his being able to produce Lazard type numbers with terrible QB play in his four years with Jags and then last year with Jets. You'd assume better QB play would surely cause him to produce at minimum slightly better. He was a one year $5.5M deal last year for the Jets...

TY Hilton - Many estimate his cost being $5M-7M at this point in his career and I can see it - missed time last year with the Colts, but appears to still be a productive savvy route runner that to me is that Veteran experienced WR that along with Green I'm calling should Julio deal cannot work out.

DeSean Jackson - His depth of targets and yards per catch last year were incredible, and while he would purely be a deep threat role like MVS once was early in his career...on a cheap deal ($2M deal last year) this addition could be smart for Gute to do.

Emmanuel Sanders - At 35 this dude just seems to keep going...putting up 747 yards last year in the Buffalo system...if he has decided not to retire, can he go for a last ride with Rodgers and Green Bay? I'm not a fan of this option personally, but is worthy of listing.

TreQuan Smith - He is one of the few 26 or younger guys on the top 30 still available and he has produced similar statistics to Lazard. He fits the tendencies of GB WRs, he is a bigger 6'2' 210lb guy with reasonable speed 4.49 forty time. He had a respectable RAS when he came out few years back at 6.86 and illustrated elite level vertical (37.5) and broad (10ft10in). He is one of a few guys GB may be able to sign to a two or three year deal even that hasn't reached ceiling arguably and could be a steal if he finally lives up to expectations in a new place outside New Orleans.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll add a name I know many will roll eyes too and I was in that camp years back, but DeSean Jackson is a guy fully capable still it seems to be that deep threat for an offense. Last year he was active every game but one, saw limited snaps (about 26%)...however despite seeing DEEP targets had 20 receptions on 36 targets for an astounding 22.7 yards per catch.

Is he a number #1, no. Could he be...honestly at this stage of his career I say no.

Could he fill that MVS support field stretcher role still, yes. Especially if only for a year.

If it was DeSean + Julio Jones or Brandin Cooks I'd be good with that. And then whoever they draft.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will Fuller - Unlike Jones and Green, Fuller one could argue still may have a few years being a teams #1 outside WR threat...however health and production questions are there...so are cost expectations for him. He is still 27 and fully expects to get paid seeing Kirk and MVS and other WRs that he no doubt views as inferior. It is for the cost that makes me think this is not as likely as I did earlier in the off season.

I don't want anything to do with this guy. Since he was traded by the Texans in 2020 he has been a black hole. Well, a black hole that cashes checks.

He's missed time with a drug suspension, injuries, and "personal issues." No thank you unless it was a vet minimum deal so the Packers could release him in a heartbeat if something came up.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want anything to do with this guy. Since he was traded by the Texans in 2020 he has been a black hole. Well, a black hole that cashes checks.

He's missed time with a drug suspension, injuries, and "personal issues." No thank you unless it was a vet minimum deal so the Packers could release him in a heartbeat if something came up.

Before even discussing his off field stuff, the cost he would be has me out for what you get even just football player wise.

Although to be fair to your comment, of course he hasn't done anything since being traded, he has barely played any.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Laviska Shenault trade was brought up the other day by someone ( @Dantés maybe?) and honestly this makes a lot of sense. He is quickly becoming the odd man out despite young, with all the money Jaguars are throwing at weapon additions in JAX.

They have added Christian Kirk, Zay Jones and LaQuan Treadwell (technically a re-sign) this off season. Still on the roster is Marvin Jones, who led the team in yards and targets last year. That makes Laviska at the highest the 3A or 3B guy...

Shenault hasn't been the homerun swing many had hoped, which is arguably why Jags have made all of these moves to begin with. That said it isn't like he has been terrible either...targeted 100 times last year,63 receptions and 619 yards isn't nothing...however never finding the endzone and lack of big plays is something that is eye catching for a guy with such raw elite athleticism.

The issue with Laviska is valuing him both if you're the Jags or if you're the Packers. I think you'd have to have it be a conditional pick, given he is a former high draft pick (42nd in 2020) BUT he hasn't seemed to be what many thought he would be....however a change of scenario one could argue he could explode...but if he doesn't he truly will be a middle/bottom depth guy for his career it seems.

A 4th that could become a 3rd or two Day 3s of the later variety (one in 2022 and 2023) is about where I'm at I think and realistically I don't believe Jacksonville can expect more. I'd be very curious if we ever learn if this was even a call that placed...

Let's get Shenault and Isabella. We can have a battle royale in the WR room to see who comes out on top at slot.