Wide Receiver Options

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally if we go two WRs and a TE with our first four that is a misstep by Gute in my opinion. With the signing of Tonyan and Big Dog back, plus Davis, Dafney and Deguara all showing growth and progress another year in the system I've basically taken TE off of my list of consideration unless Ruckert is still there in the 3rd and even then I would defer to possibly a CB of value, S or of course OL or DL or EDGE depending how we handled things with our first four picks (given we sit still and keep those four).
The only thing for me is that I feel like Tonyan's situation is probably going to mean either a.) he recovers nicely, has a big season, and we get priced out of keeping him around, or b.) he doesn't recover well/doesn't play well, ends up looking like a one-season wonder and then we're probably in need of another TE either way. Of course Marcedes is not really a long-term option, either. And I don't think they're bad players, but at the moment none of the others have really shown themselves (IMO) to be the same type of pass-catching threat that I'd like to see us have at that position.

That being said I don't know that you need to spend one of our first four on a TE to get that type of player, either. It seems like with the exception of McBride I'm not seeing a lot of TEs given consensus 2nd-rd grades in this year's draft, so there should be plenty of options still available in the 3rd or beyond.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's subjective I think though... I'm trying to picture how MLF may run the O next year...

We have:
Lazard - smart, good route runner, good blocker, "ok" hands
Cobb - smart, good route runner, clutch, good hands
Amari - not much known

Tonyan - knows the O, can get open, good route runner, good hands
Deguiria - smart, ok route runner, good blocker, "ok" hands

Aaron Jones - smart, good route runner, gets open, great hands
Dillon - smart, good route runner, good hands

I suppose we could spend ONE pick or take a swing on a true "deep threat", but with the way the passing game is set up, you don't necessarily "need" a burner/deep route guy

This is why I was saying in another thread, bc we tend to use Tight Ends and Runningbacks too, it may be wise to just get guys like Julio Jones and AJ Green. Although they are physically past their prime, i'm sure they can learn the playbook, can "get open" and are both good blockers with good hands
I don't think it's subjective. We need someone with speed (or someone that fakes and gets deep with stop/start quickness) to loosen up the D. Maybe Amari but I don't know.

JTiceman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as DA leaving, Rodgers will create another one or two WR superstars. Recall that Adams was an average receiver when he came in the league. He was not a good route runner and dropped easy catches. With some hard work and getting in a groove with AR, he started to gel.....and the rest is history.
Look back to the early years with Rodgers at the helm. He took Jordy and Randall to another level, as they were considered average WRs coming out of college. And note that when the WRs that excelled under AR went to other teams, they became mostly invisible. Whether Adams stays at the top with his QB teammate from college (Carr) or fades, will be seen soon enough.
Since he did not want to be tagged and earn only $17M per year, and GB likely not to have offered more to stay, it was obvious that he was going to hit the market for the almighty dollar. I don't blame him but still believe he had a better chance to get a championship ring with the Packers in the long run.
So I don't think we will miss a step as we will either get a top tier (already proven) WR in FA, or create new ones with our existing ones or new draftees. We have the extra low round picks for the DA trade, so we are in good shape to deal. Salary cap can be worked around with the magic wands that the NFL hands out to the teams' accounting offices.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At receiver, the Packers currently carry:

-Allen Lazard
-Randall Cobb
-Amari Rodgers

-Rico Gafford
-Juwann Winfree
-Chris Blair
-Malik Taylor

Only the top three guys should be considered strong candidates for the 53 man roster.

So what are the veteran options to bolster this position?

Re-sign:

-Marquez Valdes-Scantling:
MVS is certainly no Adams replacement, but he plays an important role in the offense that will need to be replaced even if he doesn't return. Rumor is that he's seeking 7-10M on a one year deal to try and establish more value for a bigger deal. Something on the lower end of that would be fine, though I would be careful not to overpay.

Sign:

Intriguing Options:

-Juju Smith-Schuster: Played as a big slot in Pittsburgh; could be redundant if that's his only role. Intrigued with his ability to do more if he moves beyond the limitations of Big Ben.

-Will Fuller: Fuller is still only 27 and only a year or so removed from being a high end deep threat option.

-Keelan Cole: Competent boundary receiver who has never played with a high level QB.

High Floor Options:

-Jarvis Landry: Can play slot or the Z on the outside; possession receiver. Wouldn't mind the acquisition but not overly eager.

-Emmanuel Sanders

High Risk/Reward Options:

-Odell Beckham Jr: Proved that he can still play, but he's oft injured and oft dissatisfied.

-Julio Jones: Can still play when healthy, but that's almost never the case. I would pass.

Redundant Options:

-Jamison Crowder: Pure slot; redundant to Cobb and Rodgers.

-Cole Beasley

Trade:
With a good bit of draft capital in hand (and a QB that some teams might want to take a flier on), it's possible that the Packers could add by way of trade.

-D.K. Metcalf: Bonafide X receiver who adds a terrifying vertical element to an offense; cheap (4M base salary), entering a contract year, only 24; Hawks unlikely to want to move such a young player.

-Tyler Lockett: 29 year old, versatile, high volume receiver. Base salaries of 3M and 9.7M next two years.

-Robert Woods: 29 year old X receiver who thrives in this type of offense and is an excellent run blocker. Paced for a 1000 yard season last year but tore his ACL in November. Just replaced by Allen Robinson.

-Brandin Cooks: 28 years old; capable and versatile with a 12.5M base salary in a contract year. Should be simple to acquire.

-D.J. Moore: The dream option-- Moore is a legit WR1 with versatility. He's still just 24 years old and entering a contract year (11M base salary because of 5th year option). Unlikely to be moved; would only be because he's not in their future plans for whatever reason.*

-Michael Thomas: High risk/reward option who the Saints might try to move if they don't land Deshaun Watson. Not only did he miss all of last year and most of 2020, but he's also a head case.

-DeVante Parker: Oft injured X receiver who specializes winning at the catch point. 5.7M base salary this season and next.

*The only reason I listed Moore as even a possibility is what the Panthers have done lately at WR. Last year they drafted Terrace Marshall, then they restructured Robby Anderson and made a longer term commitment to him, and then they signed Rashard Higgins on the open market. So are they setting themselves up to move on from Moore? Probably not, but maybe...
Outstanding report! Did you just come out of Gute's office? I guess that is what they pay him for. Lot of options. When I see Cole Beasley on the list I think of Don Beebe who came to the Pack in 1996-97. He was a role player and a very adequate sub when Robert Brooks went down and then Freeman for a spell. He had that quick acceleration speed but not tall.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Realistic trade targets i would hope the packers inquire about are Lockett and Cooks. Both can play outside, both would add a much needed speed element to the offense, and both have proven they can absolutely be #1 receivers. Outside of that, use two of the first three picks on receivers and count on a weak division to support the team while the rookies catch on.
No to Lockett. Small, always hurt, and not affordable.

Cooks is interesting. He always produces no matter the QB. I would start trade negotiations if Houston was interested.

I do agree, both 1st round picks must produce two WRs.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope you are right. But Devante's quickness is out of this world.

Davante worked on himself both mentally and physically into the player he is today.

I think as long as the receivers and players overall drafted by GB, have that same commitment to excellence and self improvement, that hunger will fuel the next era.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davante worked on himself both mentally and physically into the player he is today.

I think as long as the receivers and players overall drafted by GB, have that same commitment to excellence and self improvement, that hunger will fuel the next era.
You mean that if I had worked harder; I could have had that kind of quickness? Dam

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't true about Lockett.

He has played more games over the past four seasons than Davante has.

62 games (Lockett) vs 57 (Adams)

Who cares about the number of games played?

Did Lockett finish those games?

He could've played for a series or two and spent the rest of the game on the sidelines.

Also, clearly Adams produced better numbers than Lockett.

There shouldn't be any comparisons.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean that if I had worked harder; I could have had that kind of quickness? Dam

There are several drills and methods than increase quickness.

No sure you would have quickness similar to a professional athlete, but there would be improvement, if you worked harder.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He could've played for a series or two and spent the rest of the game on the sidelines.

In the last four seasons Lockett played 3,659 snaps. Davante played 3,291.

I don't see anywhere where anyone has claimed anything close to saying that Lockett has produced better numbers than Davante or that he's a better player or anything like that, so frankly I have no idea what that has to do with anything.

The point is just that the claim that "Lockett is always hurt" is simply measurably false. Unless you also think that Davante was "always hurt," in which case then sure, at least you're being consistent.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

LOL now you're grasping at straws instead of just acknowledging the false claim. I am not a supporter of Lockett as well, but mainly because it won't happen as well - Seattle has too much dead money in him.

However since you asked here are the seasons and the snap counts of each for the last four seasons:

Tyler Lockett
2018 - 908 snaps
2019 - 994 snaps
2020 - 944 snaps
2021 - 813 snaps
TOTAL 3659

Davante Adams
2018 - 953 snaps
2019 - 678 snaps
2020 - 774 snaps
2021 - 886 snaps
TOTAL 3291

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the last four seasons Lockett played 3,659 snaps. Davante played 3,291.

I don't see anywhere where anyone has claimed anything close to saying that Lockett has produced better numbers than Davante or that he's a better player or anything like that, so frankly I have no idea what that has to do with anything.

The point is just that the claim that "Lockett is always hurt" is simply measurably false. Unless you also think that Davante was "always hurt," in which case then sure, at least you're being consistent.
Injury History for Tyler Lockett

Above is the link for Tyler Lockett, I suggest you look at it. its factual information.

He is washed. He is not reliable. He'll give you one good game for fantasy purposes, nothing more.

True, no one claimed Lockett is near or better to Adams' level. I'm saying it, Lockett is trash compared to Davante Adams.

The suggestion of adding Lockett won't work.

He does not fill a need on this team, he has an extensive injury history, prone to injury, and not worth the cost, comparative to his ability.

Hard pass.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL now you're grasping at straws instead of just acknowledging the false claim. I am not a supporter of Lockett as well, but mainly because it won't happen as well - Seattle has too much dead money in him.

However since you asked here are the seasons and the snap counts of each for the last four seasons:

Tyler Lockett
2018 - 908 snaps
2019 - 994 snaps
2020 - 944 snaps
2021 - 813 snaps
TOTAL 3659

Davante Adams
2018 - 953 snaps
2019 - 678 snaps
2020 - 774 snaps
2021 - 886 snaps
TOTAL 3291

Like I said before I don't game a damn about seasons and snaps in relation to these players over the course of each of the last four years in the 21st century...LMAO!!!

The only claim I made was that Lockett is frequently injured. This is primarily why he's not a good fit with Green Bay.

My use of word "always" was hyperbolic.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you even think to look at Davante's page on that exact same site before posting this? Hahahaha. Enjoy...
Did you realize that neither player is on the Packers?

We were talking about the possibility of Lockett joining the team.

Adams is no longer a concern for Green Bay.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@McKnowledge LOL dude stop digging yourself deeper. It's okay to admit you made a mistake and typed quicker than you thought. I am well aware of his early career injuries, as I am of Davante's and his recent as well. There are TONS of reasons not to want Lockett, but your injury claim is just false and isn't an opinion.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@McKnowledge LOL dude stop digging yourself deeper. It's okay to admit you made a mistake and typed quicker than you thought. I am well aware of his early career injuries, as I am of Davante's and his recent as well. There are TONS of reasons not to want Lockett, but your injury claim is just false and isn't an opinion.

Should've left this alone.

How is my injury claim false?

Its a fact he has an injury history.

Are you saying my opinion is not respected and/or valid?

If it isn't, why do you keep responding?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should've left this alone.

How is my injury claim false?

Its a fact he has an injury history.

Are you saying my opinion is not respected and/or valid?

If it isn't, why do you keep responding?

You said he is always hurt.

He is one of only four Wide Outs in the entire NFL which have found themselves on the top 10 in snaps taken in a season the last four seasons (he led one year)...the other three are Hopkins, Evans and Woods - quite the company.

Only 6 WRs have managed to be on the list twice in that time: Diggs, McLaurin, Thielen, Thomas, Metcalf, Allen

Has he been hurt in the past, sure. Is he always hurt, not even able to write that off as an exxageration - that is just false.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You said he is always hurt.

He is one of only four Wide Outs in the entire NFL which have found themselves on the top 10 in snaps taken in a season the last four seasons (he led one year)...the other three are Hopkins, Evans and Woods - quite the company.

Only 6 WRs have managed to be on the list twice in that time: Diggs, McLaurin, Thielen, Thomas, Metcalf, Allen

Has he been hurt in the past, sure. Is he always hurt, not even able to write that off as an exxageration - that is just false.

I admitted to using hyberbole with the word "always".

I was replying to someone else's post.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admitted to using hyberbole with the word "always".

I was replying to someone else's post.

LOL you then went on to question that information when I presented with "did he even finish the games and such..."

No worries, all the matters is Lockett to GB isn't happening as Seahawks have way too much of a dead cap cost in him.