Wide Receiver Options

D

Deleted member 6794

Haven't read through this whole thread, so maybe he's been discussed, but what are anyone's thoughts on Sammy Watkins? Just about 29 years old, usually misses a few games a year, but he was only on a 1 year, 5 million dollar contract last year and didn't do enough to expect much more than that this year. Think he'd be good for 500 yards and a few touchdowns, which isn't exactly amazing, but given what we currently have, I wouldn't mind it as insurance. I think if there were mutual interest though, it would have been done already, so I'm guessing that there isn't.

Watkins has been discussed before but in my opinion there are currently still better options available to add a veteran receiver.

The one silver lining to that mistake is that drafting Love lit a fire under AR's a** and no doubt helped propel him back to an MVP level in 2020 and 2021.

As I've mentioned repeatedly there's definitely reason to doubt the Packers drafting Love had any effect on Rodgers' performance the past two seasons.

But it has grown clear Aidan Hutchinson could fall to #22 and a segment of our fan base would be pissed with Gute for not taking a WR LOL

The Packers should definitely select a player ranked a tier above everyone else regardless of position if such a prospect drops for whatever reason.

Within a tier position of need should factor into a decision though.

Another missing Receiver is our TE. Our top #1 Offense had 230 points scored from our top 2 TE + top 2 WR targets in 2020. 84 points resulted from those 2 TE.
In 2021 , just 138 points was scored by our top 2 WR + top 2 TE targets.

Efficiency improves drastically with multiple viable Receiving targets. Just 24 points were production from Deguara and Dafney.
Had our TE production paralleled 2020. We would’ve scored a respectable 198 vs 230 pounded by that group of 4

I don't think solely taking a look at points scored by specific player is an accurate way to evaluate their performance.

By saying Washington isnt far off from finding themselves in the same situation as the packers did with Adams. I was simply meaning if he doesn't wanna play for them he can force his way out just as Adams did. Like you said next offseason...

My point is that McLaurin hasn't mentioned anything about wanting to leave the Commanders. Therefore I don't think speculating about it makes a lot of sense.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've mentioned repeatedly there's definitely reason to doubt the Packers drafting Love had any effect on Rodgers' performance the past two seasons.

Yup, about the same amount of doubt as there is that it had no affect at all.

Reaction score
Interesting scenario you painted there. It might possibly result in Rodgers throwing at a rookie. Doesn't mean it will result in greater success for the team though. Rookies are notorious for making lots of rookie mistakes which is why I think it's usually wise to limit your risk by limiting the snaps of players who are going to be handling the ball a lot.
It’s just a guess but I could see #12 picking a favorite target of the 2-3 new players we likely add as his go to guy. I know they are WR Rookies, but you’d expect at least 1 Round 1-2 guys (presuming we add 2) to be quick learners and get tested early and often. The top 5-7 players are pretty darn good even without Rodgers and several of them switched schools midstream and still came on strong.

Burks is an appealing example of
A production after catch type plus able to power through press etc:. That’s someone you’d expect to get good early production, but maybe never ceilings at anything past a top #2 WR.
Now watch us draft 1 WR on Day 3 and no FA additions. :laugh:

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s just a guess but I could see #12 picking a favorite target of the 2-3 new players we likely add as his go to guy. I know they are WR Rookies, but you’d expect at least 1 Round 1-2 guys (presuming we add 2) to be quick learners and get tested early and often. The top 5-7 players are pretty darn good even without Rodgers and several of them switched schools midstream and still came on strong.

Burks is an appealing example of
A production after catch type plus able to power through press etc:. That’s someone you’d expect to get good early production, but maybe never ceilings at anything past a top #2 WR.
Now watch us draft 1 WR on Day 3 and no FA additions. :laugh:
If Rodgers doesn't want to be part of a rebuild he's going to have to make up his mind pretty damn quick about trusting some of the new guys. If not its going to be a long season with him only throwing to Cobb and Lazard.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers doesn't want to be part of a rebuild he's going to have to make up his mind pretty damn quick about trusting some of the new guys. If not its going to be a long season with him only throwing to Cobb and Lazard.

Obviously there’s no universe where the guy who is better at his job than anyone else is, anywhere, at their job, might have a legit reason to target a guy other than “won’t buy into rebuild”. Only possibility for NOT targeting the guy some fan likes is because the best guy at playing QB is, what, pouting?

A long season of only targeting Cobb and Lazard is almost completely on Gute, not one of the greatest to ever play QB.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that he will also throw to Lewis, Deguarra, Tonyan, Jones and Dillon.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously there’s no universe where the guy who is better at his job than anyone else is, anywhere, at their job, might have a legit reason to target a guy other than “won’t buy into rebuild”. Only possibility for NOT targeting the guy some fan likes is because the best guy at playing QB is, what, pouting?

A long season of only targeting Cobb and Lazard is almost completely on Gute, not one of the greatest to ever play QB.

I'm not sure how much truth there is to it but there have been plenty of observations about how it takes Rodgers a long time to build trust with his WRs and until he does he won't throw to them. If Rodgers doesn't start trusting the new guys pretty quickly he is only going to have two WR targets. If he doesn't want to spend all season throwing to Cobb and Lazard and none or the other WRs he has two other options. Start trusting the new guys sooner or start throwing to guys he doesn't trust.

How is it on Gute? He doesn't call the plays. He doesn't run the plays. He's not the one not throwing to guys he doesn't trust.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that he will also throw to Lewis, Deguarra, Tonyan, Jones and Dillon.
Probably but they are not WRs. The thread is about WR options and the expectations of the rookies and potentially new WRs added.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How is it on Gute? He doesn't call the plays. He doesn't run the plays. He's not the one not throwing to guys he doesn't trust.
Gute has known for years what the contract status of the receiver room is. If there isn’t a high upside guy in that room to build “trust” with Rodgers, then who’s fault is it? Who is in charge of stocking the various positions on the team?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much truth there is to it but there have been plenty of observations about how it takes Rodgers a long time to build trust with his WRs and until he does he won't throw to them. If Rodgers doesn't start trusting the new guys pretty quickly he is only going to have two WR targets. If he doesn't want to spend all season throwing to Cobb and Lazard and none or the other WRs he has two other options. Start trusting the new guys sooner or start throwing to guys he doesn't trust.

Probably but they are not WRs. The thread is about WR options and the expectations of the rookies and potentially new WRs added.
Your words were a long season throwing only to Cobb and Lazard. How dare I bring up players not included in the thread title. I apologize since I am probably the 1st one to ever do that.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would certainly hope the Packers FO is talking to AR about what draftee and FA WR's he wants on the roster.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would certainly hope the Packers FO is talking to AR about what draftee and FA WR's he wants on the roster.

Some fans think that consulting the best player in the nfl and asking about his thoughts is basically paving the way to Heck.

Reaction score
I don't think solely taking a look at points scored by specific player is an accurate way to evaluate their performance.
You would actually have to hunt to say I only spoke of one sole player in that entire post.
Talk about being all-time bored. :laugh:

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tell you what, I wish the board fell this way for the Pack. Based on his picks for the other teams IMO I would grab:
22. Olave- WR
28. Wyatt- DL
53. Hill- CB/S
59. Tolbert- WR
92. Mitchell-OT
132. Engabare-E
140. Jones-CB
Would like to hear others thoughts. The need a TE group would have some options. ILB wasn't addressed yet.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tell you what, I wish the board fell this way for the Pack. Based on his picks for the other teams IMO I would grab:
22. Olave- WR
28. Wyatt- DL
53. Hill- CB/S
59. Tolbert- WR
92. Mitchell-OT
132. Engabare-E
140. Jones-CB
Would like to hear others thoughts. The need a TE group would have some options. ILB wasn't addressed yet.
Ok

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
22. Olave- WR
28. Wyatt- DL
53. Hill- CB/S
59. Tolbert- WR
92. Mitchell-OT
132. Engabare-E
140. Jones-CB

I don't think you can pass on Jameson Williams at 22 if he's there. I hate that he's coming off an ACL surgery and will miss part of the season but his ceiling is too high to pass up. But maybe I've been listening to too much Chris Simms.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that Rodgers needing more time than most quarterbacks to trust receivers is purely a myth. Early on his career the receiving corps had that much talent there was no need to throw it to anybody else than to already established veterans. Once that wasn't the case anymore both Thompson and Gutekunst failed to spend significant resources to upgrade the position.

Take a look at the Packers' receiving corps and compare it to other teams being considered a contender. The lack of talent on the current roster is solely on Gutekunst.

You would actually have to hunt to say I only spoke of one sole player in that entire post.
Talk about being all-time bored. :laugh:

Once again, you missed my point. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to solely consider points scored when evaluating the performance of the entire receiving corps. If that would be a decent approach why not just look at the number of touchdown passes thrown by Rodgers to form your opinion???

Reaction score
I think reps between AR12 and Watson would speed up the kid's development.
That’s what I was saying. We rarely give a Rookie that type emphasis of huge snaps. They are normally slowly ramped.
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to solely consider points scored when evaluating the performance of the entire receiving corps. If that would be a decent approach why not just look at the number of touchdown passes thrown by Rodgers
Oh ok speaking of opinions! ;)

How do teams win vs opponents? Is it not the one that scores the most points? Why on earth should we never be allowed to mention disregard points scored by position groups?

Please explain that for us in detail because I’m having a hard time here or maybe I’m just not getting what you’re laying down?

My argument being: I think exploring areas of improvement on Offense, thus using a successful season would be in play (2020) We look to that season to see areas of success and one key one is cumulative Receiver production.

Now what’s your argument against that again ?

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you can pass on Jameson Williams at 22 if he's there. I hate that he's coming off an ACL surgery and will miss part of the season but his ceiling is too high to pass up. But maybe I've been listening to too much Chris Simms.
I agree he is the most talented receiver in the draft. But if this is an all in year I want a guy who is ready to go on day 1. If the Pack drafted a receiver at 22 and somehow Jameson was still there at 28 then I for sure take him in that spot. Highly unlikely though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers has now become a college scout in his spare time? I would hope the front office is talking amongst themselves about which prospects would mesh well with both Rodgers and Love.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's how I think about the Packers' "depth chart" at WR, in terms of roles and not 1st, 2nd, 3rd string:

X: ---

Z: ---

Slot:
Cobb, Rodgers

Power Slot: Lazard

These aren't hard and fast distinctions. Many NFL players line up as both the X and the Z. But they need someone who can reliably beat press coverage at the LOS. And of course, players move all over within formation, not being strictly boundary or slot options, but they currently have players who live inside, so they need guys who can play the boundary.

Ideally, one or multiple of the guys to fill these roles would possess vertical speed and/or YAC ability.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Rodgers needing more time than most quarterbacks to trust receivers is purely a myth. Early on his career the receiving corps had that much talent there was no need to throw it to anybody else than to already established veterans. Once that wasn't the case anymore both Thompson and Gutekunst failed to spend significant resources to upgrade the position.

Take a look at the Packers' receiving corps and compare it to other teams being considered a contender. The lack of talent on the current roster is solely on Gutekunst.

Once again, you missed my point. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to solely consider points scored when evaluating the performance of the entire receiving corps. If that would be a decent approach why not just look at the number of touchdown passes thrown by Rodgers to form your opinion???
I wasn't talking about the WRs I was talking about the idea that Rodgers doesn't throw to WRs he doesn't trust. Even if it is a myth that's still on him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree he is the most talented receiver in the draft. But if this is an all in year I want a guy who is ready to go on day 1. If the Pack drafted a receiver at 22 and somehow Jameson was still there at 28 then I for sure take him in that spot. Highly unlikely though.
All in means ready to be productive come playoff time. It sounds like he has lots of time for that.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am thinking that if we go 1,2 on wide receivers and then even pick another one later on (speedy and can punt return); we don't really need a veteran. Those guys will play well off the bat and be ready 3/4 of the way into the season for the stretch. Yes, injuries are possible. Always. Just think the "we need a vet" is a "the sky is falling" thinking. We would be able to go a different direction.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All in means ready to be productive come playoff time. It sounds like he has lots of time for that.
I am one of the guys that believes Rodgers needs time to trust his receivers. Drafting an injured player makes that even tougher. IMO Williams should not be the 1st WR they select due to that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts