Wide Receiver Options

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have enough veterans... we need to hit on a couple of high end draft picks.

I made the comparison of Alec Pierce to Jordy Nelson, and saw online where a commentator made the same comp.

The more I look at Pierce, the more I want him in Green Bay. His ceiling is very high, he's a good kid, and should plug right in.

Then in the second, Jalen Tolbert or Bo Melton would be season 1 contributors.

Tolbert might not be there at 53 though... even saw 1 mock where he went late first.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cooks is due to make over $13Mil in '22, way too rich for GB. It would cost A LOT to have Houston eat over 1/2 of his salary/bonus $. I'd rather have AJ Green as an AR target at $5-$6Mil.

They could sign cooks to an extension which would also significantly lower his 2022 number of 13 m

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He d
What?!?! "Pro Football Focus graded Alexander as the NFL’s No. 1 cornerback in 2020."

After an injury shortened '21 season Alexander hasn't suddenly turned into slouch. He erases #1 WR's that he plays, to the point that QB's don't even throw at him, much. In the NFCCG against Tampa he had 2 picks in the 2nd half to neutralize TB's offense... unfortunately their D neutralized our offense.

AR=#3, D. Adams = #6, A. Jones=#30, Bakhtiari=#36, J. Alexander=#41, Z. Smith=#51. Yes, Adams ranks higher, but that doesn't take away Alexander being a true lock-down CB. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-top-100-list-2021-players/hee5a08fynqu1jfaxxi9vr6cm
Gaudy numbers are what some people look for. If you are not getting a bunch of Ints and pick sixes you really aren't very good. Doesn't matter if no one else catches balls thrown at you either.

In general I'd rather have a top 5 CB than a top 5 WR but given the Packers lack of WR talent other than Adams I might agree that Adams may have been more important than Alexander.

Reaction score

I made the comparison of Alec Pierce to Jordy Nelson, and saw online where a commentator made the same comp.

The more I look at Pierce, the more I want him in Green Bay. His ceiling is very high, he's a good kid, and should plug right in.

Then in the second, Jalen Tolbert or Bo Melton would be season 1 contributors.

Tolbert might not be there at 53 though... even saw 1 mock where he went late first.
I just watched some film on Tolbert last night. I think he’s in that solid round 2 area imo. Ovbiously various teams have him graded in various ways. Round 1 would be a reach though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Wife had Hamilton on last night and I couldn't help but think this is my personal current thought on where we are...Gute isn't doing nothing as many think. I am just waiting for the chips and all to start to fall...

Reaction score
Who aren't very good. The Packers need at least one very good veteran. Like Cooks or Julio. And then at least two WR draft picks.
Julio is older. But here a guy who ran a 4.3’s 40 at one time. Him slowing is like 4.5 speed which is still plenty fast.
I think Gute is playing time into his favor. I think we might be looking at 2 separate $5m types ;OL or TE or WR etc.. and time is bringing a few players closer that objective. Patience is very hard, but in negotiations it’s often the last one who speaks that wins.
Confucius say:
Make reasonable offer to supply interest in player
Then keep mouth shut…
Must not be afraid
Silence very very formidable :ninja:

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Julio is older. But here a guy who ran a 4.3’s 40 at one time. Him slowing is like 4.5 speed which is still plenty fast.
I think Gute is playing time into his favor. I think we might be looking at 2 separate $5m types ;OL or TE or WR etc.. and time is bringing a few players closer that objective. Patience is very hard, but in negotiations it’s often the last one who speaks that wins.
Confucius say:
Then keep mouth shut…
Must not be afraid

I still suspect Dennis Kelly is sitting there ready to sign IF needed, I suspect a post-draft signing of him is quite likely should we not get a formidable OT prospect.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
But near the bottom in future cap expenditures.
We’re not in a race to hit our credit card limit
It's ok to lose one or two expensive core players a year. Just need for some young guys to become the next core guy.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Tampa game is how he needs to play far far more often to be considered to have a chance to be a fhof player.

The greats erase number 1s and are playmakers at the highest level and when they get the ball in their hands they score.

Think butler, woodson, collins, and even that stupid mfker whose name I wont mention to name 4 former Packers dbs. 2 are hofers, 1 was on his way when he got injured, and the last would be a hofer like woodson and butler, if he hadnt done some sht that is causing me not to use his name
Darren Sharper is NOT a hall of famer

Nic Collins could have been if not for his injury

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander is not as good of a player as davantae adams. Adams is likely to go to the hof. Alexander would have to seriously jump start his ball production to have any shot. Which isnt impossible but seems unlikely he just isnt a guy who creates a lot of turnovers and when he does he doesnt score. Which is what the greats do...
A shutdown CB is more valuable to a team than a Number 1 WR

The 3 most important pieces to an NFL franchise are
1);QB
2) OT (to protect said qb)
3) CB
4) Edge/pass rusher/DE

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darren Sharper is NOT a hall of famer

Nic Collins could have been if not for his injury

Dude absolutely would be if it wasnt for the fact hes a fckn idoit

254 games 65 ints 11 tds 183 pds 33ff 18fr 2tds 20 sacks 1220 tackles 54 tfls
205 games 63 ints 11tds 123 pds 8 ff 8 fr 2tds 7.5 sacks 949 tackles 28 tfl
181 games 38 ints 1 td 15pds 13 ff 10fr 2tds 20.5 sacks 889 tackles 10tfl
95 games 21 ints 4tds 68 pds 6 ff 4fr 1td 1 sack 421 tackles 11tfls

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude absolutely would be if it wasnt for the fact hes a fckn idoit

254 games 65 ints 11 tds 183 pds 33ff 18fr 2tds 20 sacks 1220 tackles 54 tfls
205 games 63 ints 11tds 123 pds 8 ff 8 fr 2tds 7.5 sacks 949 tackles 28 tfl
181 games 38 ints 1 td 15pds 13 ff 10fr 2tds 20.5 sacks 889 tackles 10tfl
95 games 21 ints 4tds 68 pds 6 ff 4fr 1td 1 sack 421 tackles 11tfls
Butler and Woodson absolutely are

Does Sharper have a ring?

Collins has one

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A shutdown CB is more valuable to a team than a Number 1 WR

The 3 most important pieces to an NFL franchise are
1);QB
2) OT (to protect said qb)
3) CB
4) Edge/pass rusher/DE

"Guess we don't need run defense" - said all the GB defenses from 2011-2020.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we please stop the discussion on DB's in the WR thread?

Folks don't stay on track well here.....I mean the Dillon keeping defenses honest thread is so far from a discussion of Dillon at this point the title of the thread shouldn't even be the same LOL

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a status update on FA out there...nothing really has changed in the past week truly...the following guys are still available...there are more but just a few of the main ones:

Julio Jones
Jarvis Landry
Will Fuller
TY Hilton
Cole Beasley
Emmanuel Sanders
AJ Green
OBJ
Kellan Cole
Sammy Watkins
Albert Wilson
Adam Humphries

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Confucius say:
Then keep mouth shut…
Must not be afraid
Agree. I believe we are now shifting into the buyers market of free agency. The weird money has pretty much been played.
Bad time for the 300 or so free agents left without a contract. Gonna get worse with every passing day. Time to pick up reasonably priced players will be any time after June 1 imo. A month after completion of the draft and rookie camps, free agents will get nervous about not having a paycheck.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Amish Mafia draft contest is now open at the Draft Thread. Have at it.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Butler and Woodson absolutely are

Does Sharper have a ring?

Collins has one

He does not I believe he was a rookie in 1997 when the packers lost to the broncos or 98' cant recall. But his stats are 2nd best on that list above...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree. I believe we are now shifting into the buyers market of free agency. The weird money has pretty much been played.
Bad time for the 300 or so free agents left without a contract. Gonna get worse with every passing day. Time to pick up reasonably priced players will be any time after June 1 imo. A month after completion of the draft and rookie camps, free agents will get nervous about not having a paycheck.
What day does the comp pick calculations in FA go away?

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Tampa game is how he needs to play far far more often to be considered to have a chance to be a fhof player.

The greats erase number 1s and are playmakers at the highest level and when they get the ball in their hands they score.

Think butler, woodson, collins, and even that stupid mfker whose name I wont mention to name 4 former Packers dbs. 2 are hofers, 1 was on his way when he got injured, and the last would be a hofer like woodson and butler, if he hadnt done some sht that is causing me not to use his name
You talking about Darren Sharper?

D

Deleted member 6794

Alexander is not as good of a player as davantae adams. Adams is likely to go to the hof. Alexander would have to seriously jump start his ball production to have any shot. Which isnt impossible but seems unlikely he just isnt a guy who creates a lot of turnovers and when he does he doesnt score. Which is what the greats do...

Alexander is an elite cornerback who is as important to the Packers' passing defense as Adams was to their offense.

But near the bottom in future cap expenditures.
We’re not in a race to hit our credit card limit

Actually the Packers are currently in the middle of the pack in cap space allocated to the 2023 season as well. I agree they don't have a fortune to spend on free agents but they can make some moves to improve the roster.

The Packers only veterans at wide receiver are Cobb and Lazard. That's not good enough in my opinion.

He does not I believe he was a rookie in 1997 when the packers lost to the broncos or 98' cant recall. But his stats are 2nd best on that list above...

He won a Super Bowl with the Saints in 2009.