Wide Receiver Options

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to predict that Gute has already named his price draft pick wise he is willing to give for Metcalf and/or Cooks - with those teams waiting to see if they can get more. IF Gute is going to increase his offering, it will be dependent on how the draft progresses Day 1...folks just gotta chill.

I think regardless of how day 1 progresses the team still needs at least one talented and experienced wide out. That means either trade or FA. And since the options are dwindling I would not wait.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think regardless of how day 1 progresses the team still needs at least one talented and experienced wide out. That means either trade or FA. And since the options are dwindling I would not wait.

But it is also ignorant to overpay someone that doesn't fit (Fuller good example) or get fleeced by another team thinking our "desperation" should cause us to give more.

I also am wondering if an OBJ signing isn't on the horizon, despite him being out for half the season for sure...add a vet, go to draft...and get reloaded when OBJ is back.

I'm not incredibly worried as most are because I have zero doubt before we hit the season a veteran of sometype will be added, a high profile single or two rookies as well. Do that in addition to Cobb, Lazard and Rodgers PLUS return of Bobby Tonyan who is motivated and additionally two RBs that are BEASTS...I suspect the BAAAAD man Aaron Rodgers is going to silence folks that have been saying GB is out of contention now.

Reaction score
But it is also ignorant to overpay someone that doesn't fit (Fuller good example) or get fleeced by another team thinking our "desperation" should cause us to give more.

I also am wondering if an OBJ signing isn't on the horizon, despite him being out for half the season for sure...add a vet, go to draft...and get reloaded when OBJ is back.

I'm not incredibly worried as most are because I have zero doubt before we hit the season a veteran of sometype will be added, a high profile single or two rookies as well. Do that in addition to Cobb, Lazard and Rodgers PLUS return of Bobby Tonyan who is motivated and additionally two RBs that are BEASTS...I suspect the BAAAAD man Aaron Rodgers is going to silence folks that have been saying GB is out of contention now.
I understand we’re cap strapped, but I just think we should avoid Receivers who are currently injured.
I know it’s an attractive idea but we need to stay focused and not get distracted.
I do not want a big group of players on IR that we’re hoping come back again. I can’t take that again it’s too stressful. :coffee:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There really aren't any free agent WR's available that can step in and be a #1 target. Julio is 34 and on the way down though he could possibly make a good #2 IMO. Same for the other older WR's that are available. Not going after Parker indicates Gute will likely load up at WR in the draft. He can then tell AR to trust rookies and throw them the ball or sh** in his hat. Gute resigned AR and contrary to his wishes is transforming the team with a gradual rebuild. It makes sense that after the dust settles, Gute will bring in a veteren WR who is desperate at a bargain rate. That approach will add depth but probably won't have the turn out to be a legit #1 or #2 WR.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand we’re cap strapped, but I just think we should avoid Receivers who are currently injured.
I know it’s an attractive idea but we need to stay focused and not get distracted.
I do not want a big group of players on IR that we’re hoping come back again. I can’t take that again it’s too stressful. :coffee:
Lol, well I'm sure Brian Gutekunst will keep that in mind as he's building the WR corp.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Big group lol, no one wants that - we have one presently

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
William's or Pickens at 22/29. I could live with Olave or Burks, but prefer the 1st 2.

In the 2nd round, Tolbert or Bo Melton at 53/59.

2 of those 6 guys would go a long way toward fixing WR.
I'm gonna add Alec Pierce to the conversation at 28. His tape is messy because of bad QB play, but he can win at the LOS like nobody's business. His ceiling is higher than I thought it was.

A bigger, faster Jordy Nelson maybe.

Also, I saw segment with Chris Simms where he Tolbert could be at the end of Rd1, top of Rd2.

I was thinking that because there are so many receivers in that Rd2 mix, that he might drop a bit. Maybe not.

Reaction score
I'm gonna add Alec Pierce to the conversation at 28. His tape is messy because of bad QB play, but he can win at the LOS like nobody's business. His ceiling is higher than I thought it was.

Also, I saw segment with Chris Simms where he Tolbert could be at the end of Rd1, top of Rd2.

I was thinking that because there are so many receivers in that Rd2 mix, that he might drop a bit. Maybe not.
He even moves like Jordy! High Point/Back Shoulder .. Which is a compliment. Although Pierce has a smidge better long speed. If he catches one in stride ain’t nobody catching him

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign Julio...trade for Cooks and draft 2 wrs (jameson williams and christian watson) within the first 60 picks and youve completely rehabbed the wr room

Cooks 593 7917 13.8 46
Adams 669 8121 12.1 66

Catches, yards, avg, tds since being drafted #20 and #53 respectively during the 2014 draft

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

His QB play is better than arguably any of the Top 10 WR options in the draft...Ridder isn't a slouch QB prospect.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm OBJ I'm waiting until I'm ready to come back and will take the highest bidder at that point out of the SB contenders. He has no value right now given his injury.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His QB play is better than arguably any of the Top 10 WR options in the draft...Ridder isn't a slouch QB prospect.
Maybe so, but I don't think he adapted well to Pierce's speed...a lot of throws slightly behind. Catchable, but not in stride.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe so, but I don't think he adapted well to Pierce's speed...a lot of throws slightly behind. Catchable, but not in stride.
That's what jumps out on tape... Pierce was always having to hold up or adjust to underthrown balls.

There were quite a few balls that had Ridder been on target Pierce would have walked in.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chris Simms has Pierce as his #3 receiver in the draft. Ahead of Burks, London, Wilson, and Olave.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hearing a lot of Tonyon and how he is "ready to go". He is not, has a bad injury that will require a long recovery. Julio has lost 12 steps and I just don't see him returning to form of even 3 years ago. The wild card may be Antonio Brown. Never thought I'd say it but he would change things over night, but has obvious mememe issues. Keelan Cole is definitely worth a kick of the tires. The trade winds cannot be blowing too hard due to cap issues.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's going to have to be a trade for a veteran, because this isn't getting fixed just through the draft.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chris Simms has Pierce as his #3 receiver in the draft. Ahead of Burks, London, Wilson, and Olave.
I have Pierce ahead of London for sure.

The other 4?? I get it... you could certainly make the argument he's better than all those guys.

Somewhat different skill sets for those guys though.

Reaction score
If I'm OBJ I'm waiting until I'm ready to come back and will take the highest bidder at that point out of the SB contenders. He has no value right now given his injury.
I always liked taking someone mid season. You prorate a $10-$15m deal and it becomes affordable at 5-7.5M.

Plus they’ll be several teams that are conceivably out of playoffs that might unload a good veteran at the end of his contract.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hope Gute has assembled a solid, cohesive receiving group playing extremely well together by mid-season.
I'm not onboard with OBJ, anytime in '22, due to his 2nd ACL surgery on same knee and less than a year into rehab. That's an IR waste of money just waiting to happen, IMHO.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about the still-available FA WRs. My two highest preferences would be Julio and TY Hilton, and both may well be spent.

Can never rule out trade targets. My #1 target by far would have been Calvin Ridley had it not been for the suspension. Other guys like Corey Davis, DeVante Parker, Brandin Cooks, Robby Anderson, or Diontae Johnson could make sense.
Miami sent Parker to NE for a 3rd round pick.

Edit: I see others have beat me to the punch.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to predict that Gute has already named his price draft pick wise he is willing to give for Metcalf and/or Cooks - with those teams waiting to see if they can get more. IF Gute is going to increase his offering, it will be dependent on how the draft progresses Day 1...folks just gotta chill.
I get the feeling Seattle isn't interested in trading Metcalf.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There really aren't any free agent WR's available that can step in and be a #1 target. Julio is 34 and on the way down though he could possibly make a good #2 IMO. Same for the other older WR's that are available. Not going after Parker indicates Gute will likely load up at WR in the draft. He can then tell AR to trust rookies and throw them the ball or sh** in his hat. Gute resigned AR and contrary to his wishes is transforming the team with a gradual rebuild. It makes sense that after the dust settles, Gute will bring in a veteren WR who is desperate at a bargain rate. That approach will add depth but probably won't have the turn out to be a legit #1 or #2 WR.
Rebuild? It seems to me Gute is trying to keep as much of the team we had last year together. Our D should be pretty darn good and the ST can only get better (it couldn't be any worse). The only real obvious hole is in the WR room and that can be addressed in the draft and FA afterwards.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've been hearing OBJ might not play in 2022. He isn't getting any younger and has to overcome a serious injury.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign Julio...trade for Cooks and draft 2 wrs (jameson williams and christian watson) within the first 60 picks and youve completely rehabbed the wr room

Cooks 593 7917 13.8 46
Adams 669 8121 12.1 66

Catches, yards, avg, tds since being drafted #20 and #53 respectively during the 2014 draft
Is Houston thinking of trading Cooks? He might be rather costly, however.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at the stats, the most successful teams throw the ball substantially more than they do run it. The Packers are close to the middle in the NFL in their decision, even though it leans towards pass substantially.

When we talk about running the ball more, it sounds good, but the reality is that sustained drive on the ground don't pan out as well as those that get chunks via the air, because there are more plays involved, and more opportunities to make mistakes.

Does that mean air the ball out deep? Not at all. It just means you need to lean towards the pass to keep defenses honest, and gain chunks of yards at times, so you get closer to the goal line just a little faster.

The stats will tell you an interesting story.

Pass vs Run in NFL, 2021