Wide Receiver Options

D

Deleted member 6794

TE is a wildcard, but worst case average/dependable/predictable

Unfortunately I believe tight end could end up being worse than average as well.

Well I don’t. I do expect another veteran WR to be brought in that has a realistic chance at ~800 I then expect a Rookie to be given ample opportunity to achieve ~700 yards. Bingo. There’s your Davante production.

Now our 3rd WR needs what, 500 yards? Is that unheard of? Are we saying the group of a #2nd rounder/Cobb/Lazard no one can achieve that? I think that’s a low standard for that group.

It's far from a given that a team drafting two receivers gets that production out of them in their rookie season either.

I’ll go on record that I’m 100% sure that we are already very close to putting a deal together. We’ll spend up to $20M or a Day 1-2 selection if necessary for the right veteran.. before going in to the draft empty shelves.

I truly hope the Packers don't plan on bringing in another wide receiver making $20 million a season.

I agree. I think back to that 2011 season, where AR12 won MVP and was playing out his mind. His receiving corp was insane...

Not to mention the RBs were great pass catchers:
Running backs

Each receiver added a different dimension, each had strengths that accounted for the other's weaknesses, so when you did go 4-5 WR sets, there was always an option that was open.

AR12 used all his skills and just effortlessly played the game, never overextending himself...never focusing on only 1 WR.

This is how you build a WR corp, everyone complementing each other, knowing their strengths and accepting their roles.

This season is the perfect opportunity to really build an elite ensemble instead of looking for superstars.

It's all but guaranteed that if you expect the receiving corps to be as successful next season as it was in 2011 you will be extremely disappointed.

I don't believe Lazard has signed his tender and doubt he will until closer to camp at the earliest. He gives up any leverage to get a long term deal once he does. I know he's an RFA but assuming he will be on the active roster this fall is a bit premature.

I fully expect Lazard to participate in offseason workouts.

Under the CBA a player has until 4:00 pm Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season to sign his tender and still get credit for the season. He would then be a UFA in 2023. I think this is unlikely to happen but is something to consider.

While that's true Lazard definitely wouldn't benefit from not signing the tender.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watkins hasn't put up impressive numbers since 2015. While he still might be a fast player he doesn't seem to be a viable option as a #1 at this point in his career.
He may not be a #1. and we don't need a #1. We just need receivers that can get open and catch, and a guy that can go deep. Let #1 stuff work out as it will. What I remember about Watkins is that I was surprised he did not do much in KC. And then one game I watched he looked really good. And I realized they just had not been throwing to him. He was not on the field very much. I don't follow him but those are my thoughts.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers will create a new #1 receiver based on the routes, and how well he and the WR mesh on options. I expect we will get free agent and draft help in this area, but I'm not going to get my ******* in a bunch over it. I'm more concerned about insuring the offensive line and defensive lines are up to speed, and some help at both inside and outside linebacker.

After grabbing a WR early in the draft, I see the two lines and LB issues being addressed.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shenault still had 58 catches for 600 yards and five touchdowns with a combination of Minshew, Glennon and Luton throwing him the ball in 2020.
Ya, with an ADOT of 6.2, lowest on the Jags that year, 11th lowest in the league. Not just that, they played in a lot of garbage time in 2020 so you gotta think any offensive stats from that year are ridiculously bloated. They opened 2021 using him in the slot because that's where he's suited to play (and out of the backfield). He'd be a cool swiss army knife for the Pack tho.

D

Deleted member 6794

He may not be a #1. and we don't need a #1. We just need receivers that can get open and catch, and a guy that can go deep. Let #1 stuff work out as it will. What I remember about Watkins is that I was surprised he did not do much in KC. And then one game I watched he looked really good. And I realized they just had not been throwing to him. He was not on the field very much. I don't follow him but those are my thoughts.

I agree that Watkins most likely would present an upgrade over the receivers currently on the roster but I'm a bit concerned about his lack of production over the past few seasons. As a side note, he played between 70 and 79 percent of the snaps during his three seasons with the Chiefs.

Rodgers will create a new #1 receiver based on the routes, and how well he and the WR mesh on options. I expect we will get free agent and draft help in this area, but I'm not going to get my ******* in a bunch over it. I'm more concerned about insuring the offensive line and defensive lines are up to speed, and some help at both inside and outside linebacker.

As mentioned in another thread there's absolutely no doubt wide receiver is currently by far the biggest need on the roster.

Ya, with an ADOT of 6.2, lowest on the Jags that year, 11th lowest in the league. Not just that, they played in a lot of garbage time in 2020 so you gotta think any offensive stats from that year are ridiculously bloated. They opened 2021 using him in the slot because that's where he's suited to play (and out of the backfield). He'd be a cool swiss army knife for the Pack tho.

I agree that Shenault is best suited to line up in the slot but just wanted to point out that he has played a significant amount of snaps on the outside.

Reaction score
I know that we want to discount “unproven” players. Yet every WR was a Rook at one time or another. This article shows a slew of “recent” draft signings playing at a high level early into their career.

While we can’t expect then all to be Justin Jefferson and average better than Davante Adams numbers day 1… (he’s over 1,500 yards per season for his first 2 seasons and is technically spanking #17) we can absolutely draft 2 WR early that, in some combination, perform very close.
I also don’t see MVS lost production as anything to be scared of. MVS never fully hit his stride in GB. His production was more perceived (keeping Safeties off #17) than actual imo.
I’ll take my chances with a top 7-8 WR contract over MVS at $10m+ Annual. It’s actually not even a decision really. I might even bet on 1 of our current guys or veteran FA stepping up and beating MVS best season ever. Yes year 1

Give me 2 WR inside #59, with 1 being Day 1. Add another Elgton, and find me competition at TE in a Lively or Woods etc.. Add a mid tier “high floor” Veteran WR. Get this running game off stagnant and I’ll show you a top #5 Offense

Last edited:

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about the still-available FA WRs. My two highest preferences would be Julio and TY Hilton, and both may well be spent.

Can never rule out trade targets. My #1 target by far would have been Calvin Ridley had it not been for the suspension. Other guys like Corey Davis, DeVante Parker, Brandin Cooks, Robby Anderson, or Diontae Johnson could make sense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m still in the add Julio or TY

The one of the following concepts:

-Draft Burks and a speed threat
or
-Draft a speedier guy early and trade for Laviska Shenault
or
-Double Dip of two top 100 pick WRs or so.
-Draft two plus another low level FA like John Ross, DeSean Jackson or so

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally have him not as the #1 prospect in draft but he is IMO my #1 for fit with GB and MLF with Rodgers slinging it to him.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
William's or Pickens at 22/29. I could live with Olave or Burks, but prefer the 1st 2.

In the 2nd round, Tolbert or Bo Melton at 53/59.

2 of those 6 guys would go a long way toward fixing WR.

Reaction score
William's or Pickens at 22/29. I could live with Olave or Burks, but prefer the 1st 2.

In the 2nd round, Tolbert or Bo Melton at 53/59.

2 of those 6 guys would go a long way toward fixing WR.
I could see Pickens being very formidable with Rodgers plopping the ball in the cradle (like he did with Davante last year)
Pickens fits what the Packers have liked from a height standpoint. Plus, His footwork and ball tracking are really solid.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Pickens being very formidable with Rodgers plopping the ball in the cradle (like he did with Davante last year)
Pickens fits what the Packers have liked from a height standpoint. Plus, His footwork and ball tracking are really solid.
I don't want wr's back to back in rd 1... unless that duo of Williams and Pickens falls into our laps at each pick - but I don't think that will happen, as I think Williams will be long gone, and we might have to move up to get Pickens.

The wr's in rd 2 are good value. I love Tolbert, and like Melton a lot. Skyy Moore will be gone I think.

I'm not high on Dotson, Bell, or Shakir.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My top choice remains trade for Brandin Cooks and draft 2 WR's. Preferably one in the 1st and one in the 2nd.

My next choice is sign Julio Jones and draft 2 WR's as above.

My third choice is to drink heavily and hope AR can make sub-par WR's a lot better.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they are gonna be a more run/ball control offense, I think signing Julio would make the most sense. He is a good run blocker. I could also see them getting Pickens, who is a bully at the LOS. I do think their top 2 needs are wr and ol.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Devante Parker traded to New England for their 5th rounder...which was pick #170. Not sure if Gute was seriously interested, but GB's 5th round pick is #171, so would've required a late 7th as well to seal the deal.

*** Revised*** Schultz & Oldschool below are correct. Parker & a 5th Rounder to NE for their '23 3rd.

Last edited:

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they're waiting until after the draft to sign anyone. Unless they have some trade going on behind the scenes.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Devante Parker traded to New England for their 5th rounder...which was pick #170. Not sure if Gute was seriously interested, but GB's 5th round pick is #171, so would've required a late 7th as well to seal the deal.
That is not how I read the trade. N.E. gets Parker and a 5th. MIA gets a next year 3rd.

Reaction score
I read it was Parker and a 5th for a NE 3rd Rounder. Not that it matters we likely could’ve had him for that kinda collateral.

I wonder what the final $ of Landry will be? He seems intent on $20 per year but I think that’s 6-8M high

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me guess, with the Parker trade, social media is running around with their hair on fire screaming that Gute isn't doing anything.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to predict that Gute has already named his price draft pick wise he is willing to give for Metcalf and/or Cooks - with those teams waiting to see if they can get more. IF Gute is going to increase his offering, it will be dependent on how the draft progresses Day 1...folks just gotta chill.

Members online

No members online now.