Vikings at Packers 9/29/24 Pregame Thoughts

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess your memory is better than mine. I don't remember many people calling for Clifford over Malik. More of we won't win with either type of posts. I do remember a bunch (me included) thought Clifford was a reach in the draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I guess your memory is better than mine. I don't remember many people calling for Clifford over Malik. More of we won't win with either type of posts. I do remember a bunch (me included) thought Clifford was a reach in the draft.
I'm not going to go back and look, because it was in several threads. My thought was "It will be Clifford, if the Packers don't think Willis has absorbed enough of the playbook, but they obviously traded for Willis to be there #2."

As far as Clifford goes, I had higher hopes for him and I didn't hate the draft pick. But yeah, after seeing him in Preseason #2 for him, I think he's a longer term project, if not an eventual bust.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how Justin Jefferson does this week. Interestingly it's been somewhat feast or famine for him vs the Packers for his career. By my count he has faced us 7 times...

9/13/2020 (43-34 Packers) - 3 targets, 2 receptions, 26 yards, 0TD
11/1/2020 (28-22 Vikings) - 4 targets, 3 receptions, 26 yards, 0 TD
11/21/2021 (34-31 Vikings) - 10 targets, 8 receptions, 169 yards, 2 TD
1/2/2022 (37-10 Packers) - 11 targets, 6 receptions, 58 yards, 0 TD
9/11/2022 (23-7 Vikings) - 11 targets, 9 receptions, 184 yards, 2 TD
1/1/2023 (41-17 Packers) - 5 targets, 1 reception, 15 yards, 0 TD
12/31/2023 (33-10 Packers) - 10 targets, 5 receptions, 59 yards, 0 TD

More or less two monster games, two "meh" games, and three games as basically a non-factor...

This year though he's averaging through three games 7 targets, 5 rec, 90 yards, and 1TD per game... (of course, these "averages" at this point in the season are going to be preeeeeetty heavily skewed by him having a 97-yard TD rec, lol)

As long as we can avoid him bagging another 97-yd TD against us or having one of those "monster" games like above, I'd feel decent..

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
MN is 3rd in the league in scoring at 28.3 ppg. If they score 28 on the Pack I think they win. In the same respect, Green Bay is at 25 ppg, which is nothing to sneeze at. Some might say it is a push here. 3 points goes to the home team and last I looked the Pack is -2.5. So, again, push on the total points. I believe it is going to come down to the defensive side of the ball. I'm not sure how MN is doing it with their roster, but they are ranked #2 in the league only giving up 10 ppg. The Pack is giving up 19.3. The one thing I would say is that MN is in the middle of the league for yards given up. Meaning, you can move the ball on them. Redzone TD's will be big. As much as I want the Narv Dawg to eat, we can't settle for Redzone FGs. Lastly, Green bay is #1 in the league right now at takeaways. Now, MN is leading the league in sacks and they are right behind GB in INTs.

Everything I'm reading says this is going to be a close game. I'm hopeful that Green Bay can have a good showing at home, but MN does travel well to this game. It will probably be 1/3 MN fans at this game. Hard to predict, but I don't see the Pack pulling this one off. As much as I thought MN was smoke and mirrors I actually think they are legit. I don't think Super Bowl worthy, but definitely a playoff team. I'm saying MN 27 Pack 18.
I know you guys will think I’m nuts (or maybe that’s already established!).
MN is ranked too high. Except a few sites I see them at #11 or #12? I think that’s pretty accurate.

Yes, they are playing above expectations I’d agree. We have to look closer at those games.
-They caught a stumbling SF49ers at US Bank by 6 points
- They caught the Texans with absolutely ZERO Running game missing both RB’s and just T’d up against the Pass.
-their most impressive Win was against the lackluster Giants performance with Daniel Jones multiple INT’s. It was a solid Win, but hardly enough to overthrow GB beating Indy with a backup that’s been here 2 weeks. IF anything that’s more impressive especially after we backed it up on the Road and pummeled TN.

I’m not saying the Vikings are bad, so don’t spin this. I’m saying the Vikings are Not a top 3 Team like I’m seeing some say. They are more 2-1 strength early on. I do give them respect for capitalizing on others mistakes earlier in the season. They are a top 12 team. GB is easily a Top 10 team playing with Malik or a top 6-8 Team With Love.

The only thing that gives me reservations about predicting a solid win is Love’s possible lack of mobility. It almost makes me want to rest him 1 more week. Plus we need to reduce the double digit flags it’s costing us
3-7 points per contest.

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again a win is a win but I remember talking to a buddy shortly after that MIN-SF game and talking about how if you just looked at the stats you'd have a real hard time believing SF lost, too.

SF had 24 first downs, MIN had 17. Dead even in total yards. Even in turnovers. MIN was penalized more. SF had nearly 10 more minutes TOP (34:48 - 25:12). But MIN 7/12 on 3rd down while SF 2/10.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But MIN 7/12 on 3rd down while SF 2/10.

Hard to win games when you only convert 20% of your 3rd downs. That was one area on Sunday, at least in the 1st half, that the Packers offense was pretty special. Even on some long 3rd downs, they found a way to get a 1st down.

Right now the Packers are 8th in the NFL in 3rd down conversions (42.86%). Not much of a surprise, Aaron Rodgers and the Jets are 1st, converting 56.76% of their 3rd downs. The Queens are 3rd @ 45.71%.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as we can avoid him bagging another 97-yd TD against us or having one of those "monster" games like above, I'd feel decent..
I'm torn as he is on my fantasy team.
I’m saying the Vikings are Not a top 3 Team like I’m seeing some say.
You've been watching Grossi's top 10?

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to win games when you only convert 20% of your 3rd downs. That was one area on Sunday, at least in the 1st half, that the Packers offense was pretty special. Even on some long 3rd downs, they found a way to get a 1st down.

Right now the Packers are 8th in the NFL in 3rd down conversions (42.86%). Not much of a surprise, Aaron Rodgers and the Jets are 1st, converting 56.76% of their 3rd downs. The Queens are 3rd @ 45.71%.
I wonder how many 3rd down failures were ruined by penalties - a holding call or illegal man downfield turning a manageable 3rd and short into a difficult 3rd and long. The hidden cost of the total number of penalties is the way in which it subtly affects many other statistics.

As for the game, I just hope Aaron is classy enough to not try the Lambeau Leap.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I wonder how many 3rd down failures were ruined by penalties
The only one I saw was an incomplete pass on 3rd down and the Titans declined and made it 4th down. It was 4th down either way.

The most hurtful Penalties were actually on 1st n 2nd Downs. Jenkins had one that erased a Jacobs 23 yard scamper to just shy of 1st n Goal outside the TN10. It came back and ended up resulting in a FG.

There were at least 3-4 more that we gained 5 or 6 yards on 1st or 2nd down to create manageable distances, but went backwards 5-10 yards. So there the minimum loss was 10 yards of Field position. Some were 16 yards backwards counting the lost forward progress. We had a ST illegal formation that caused a Re Kick that lost a net 20 yards.

All in all the 75 yards in flags cost us at minimum 150 yards of production. Thats not an exaggeration. Just the 2 flags on Jacobs long Run and ST blunder alone cost 53 yards. There were 7 more flags accepted
(At minimum 1 declined that could find scanning through)

The Titans. 2 penalties for 15 yards but Simmons 5 yard flag on our FGA gave us a 1st down. That resulted in Wilson’s 30 yard screen TD so that hurt TN bad.

PS. We actually had 9 Sacks 1 -3 Gary Sack was negated by a neutral zone petty foul

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Not that I am admitting defeat. But just covering all scenarios. IF The Vikings were to show up and win, we’d go 2-2. I can still see is splitting games with Detroit and MN. I can also see sweeping Chicago. That could really turn into a 3-3 Division record, which isn’t that out of the ordinary as far as everyone predicting before Regular season.

We are currently 2-1 if we added 3-3
That’s 5-4 with these other 8 outside NFC North games ahead.
@ Rams L
Cardinal at Home W
Texans at Home W
@ Jacksonville W
49ers @ Home L
Dolphins @ Home W

@ Seahawks Split Win between these
Saints @ Home Split W between these

I can still see projecting a 10-7 record and likely Postseason Visit

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how many 3rd down failures were ruined by penalties - a holding call or illegal man downfield turning a manageable 3rd and short into a difficult 3rd and long. The hidden cost of the total number of penalties is the way in which it subtly affects many other statistics.

As for the game, I just hope Aaron is classy enough to not try the Lambeau Leap.
I love Aaron Jones and it wouldn't bother me at all if he did the leap. Especially if they lose. Personally I'm hoping he doesn't score.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MN is ranked too high. Except a few sites I see them at #11 or #12? I think that’s pretty accurate.

Yes, they are playing above expectations I’d agree. We have to look closer at those games.
- They caught the Texans with absolutely ZERO Running game missing both RB’s and just T’d up against the Pass.
-their most impressive Win was against the lackluster Giants performance with Daniel Jones multiple INT’s. It was a solid Win, but hardly enough to overthrow GB beating Indy with a backup that’s been here 2 weeks. IF anything that’s more impressive especially after we backed it up on the Road and pummeled TN.

I’m not saying the Vikings are bad, so don’t spin this. I’m saying the Vikings are Not a top 3 Team like I’m seeing some say. They are more 2-1 strength early on. I do give them respect for capitalizing on others mistakes earlier in the season. They are a top 12 team. GB is easily a Top 10 team playing with Malik or a top 6-8 Team With Love.

The only thing that gives me reservations about predicting a solid win is Love’s possible lack of mobility. It almost makes me want to rest him 1 more week. Plus we need to reduce the double digit flags it’s costing us
3-7 points per contest.
They did beat 2 of the top teams in their building. But Frisco without McCaffrey is just not as dangerous. Without McCaffrey we may have beaten the 9ers or got them to OT. In week one the 9ers were impressive but also used 6 FGs to beat the Jets. We must continue to force turnovers to win this game.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They did beat 2 of the top teams in their building. But Frisco without McCaffrey is just not as dangerous. Without McCaffrey we may have beaten the 9ers or got them to OT. In week one the 9ers were impressive but also used 6 FGs to beat the Jets. We must continue to force turnovers to win this game.

Hafley's defense has been great at that so far, but I don't know how sustainable that is. In order to get turnovers, the other team must cooperate to some degree - That's probably not going to happen every week.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Don't disagree.
MN's most impressive win was last week. I watched the game and they dominated from start to finish. Sure, Texans didn't have their RBs, but they got to the playoffs last year. They are not a bad team. They made them look horrible.
Again, don't disagree. I think some of this is the element of surprise early in the season. As the weeks go by more film will be out there on MN's gameplan. I'm sure MLF and his staff are going to come in with ideas on how to slow them down. I do think that their success has been their pass rush. They have gotten up early on teams and have been able to just pin their ears back and not worry about the running game. The Pack have been pounding the rock. If that continues it will be a game.
3-7 points per contest.
I don't think his mobility will be lacking. I think it will be more of shaking off the rust. It's hard to come back after only getting one game in and no preseason. He's going to be cold.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't disagree.

MN's most impressive win was last week. I watched the game and they dominated from start to finish. Sure, Texans didn't have their RBs, but they got to the playoffs last year. They are not a bad team. They made them look horrible.

Again, don't disagree. I think some of this is the element of surprise early in the season. As the weeks go by more film will be out there on MN's gameplan. I'm sure MLF and his staff are going to come in with ideas on how to slow them down. I do think that their success has been their pass rush. They have gotten up early on teams and have been able to just pin their ears back and not worry about the running game. The Pack have been pounding the rock. If that continues it will be a game.

I don't think his mobility will be lacking. I think it will be more of shaking off the rust. It's hard to come back after only getting one game in and no preseason. He's going to be cold.

That last is a point worth consideration. Malik Willis did get to play in the preseason, albeit as a Tennessee Titan. Love only had one three or four play drive before suiting up against the Eagles.

Hopefully, this turns into a non-issue.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can understand that based on his results with the Jets and Panthers. However, remember that he had a great career at USC and was the #3 pick in the draft for a reason. He went to two franchises that couldn't be winners even if Aaron Rodgers showed up.....

Darnold has skills and Kevin O'Connell seems to get the best out of whomever plays QB for his team. We all better be prepared for when Darnold actually gets his three best pass-catchers on the field at the same time: Justin Jefferson, Jordan Addison, and TJ Hockenson.
Wasn't Darnald a productive collegiate player and high pick? Sometimes a change of venue does wonders for some. Just look at Willis.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's kinda my thing - I'd say they beat two of the preseason top teams - in that both the 49ers and Texans were pretty highly rated heading into this season. Of course it is still early on, but so far neither them have actually looked like particularly top teams, to my eye. Reputation can carry you a long way...

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Discuss…
If the Vikings win Sunday they go up 2 games on the Packers and at least 1 on the Lions. It is early but we know how critical these games are later in the race. I am sure that both teams know that. It is the first divisional game in the NFC North. Last year the Vikings were well favored when they came to Lambeau. They did everything to hand us a victory and we would not take it. It is also the game that ended Kirk Cousins Viking career. Play 60 minutes and then some.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won't have to spy Darnold I don't think but still can't give him lanes or outside to run. So that should help us some with blitz and/or coverage. On the flip side; we might need to keep someone with quick eyes in the backfield to pick up their blitz. Getting excited about the game.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won't have to spy Darnold I don't think but still can't give him lanes or outside to run. So that should help us some with blitz and/or coverage. On the flip side; we might need to keep someone with quick eyes in the backfield to pick up their blitz. Getting excited about the game.
MLF is very familiar with the Vikings blitz packages. He just has to make his QB and the rest of the offense aware of it including the TEs and the wideouts.

Members online

No members online now.