When or Should We fire TT?

• After this Year

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Give him another Year

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Ha! As if Mark Murphy has the balls to do that?

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • TT until Aaron Rodgers career is wasted away

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I like him, let's keep him

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The past two Super Bowl winners have been teams that hit FA hard. The patriots had Brandon Browner, Akeem Ayers and Darrell Revis on one year contracts the year they won. Also picked up Lafell that season. Denver had Demarcus Ware, Talib, etc. We needed to enter FA to win the Super Bowl.

D

Deleted member 6794

The past two Super Bowl winners have been teams that hit FA hard. The patriots had Brandon Browner, Akeem Ayers and Darrell Revis on one year contracts the year they won. Also picked up Lafell that season. Denver had Demarcus Ware, Talib, etc. We needed to enter FA to win the Super Bowl.

As long as Rodgers is the Packers QB the team will be a Super Bowl contender. Using free agency to address obvious positions of need would improve the chances though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

While I am in the camp of TT under uses FA's, your post makes it sound as if hitting the FA Market "hard" is the only way to win a Super Bowl. Actually, much of the information points the opposite direction. You are quick to point out a few of the scattered successes of teams that won SB's but how about all the teams that also hit the FA market "hard" and didn't?

As Captain WIIM states often, TT has a lot of options available to him to build a quality team, FA's just seem to be one he under utilizes.

These are the types of articles you find all over the net, so it seems to be the majority view:

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/03/10/building-free-agency-doesnt-work/

This sums up my feelings on the FA gamble:

"The reality is that while teams already have film of free agents playing against NFL talent, each team is different. Every team runs a different scheme, with different talent, and different coaches. A player could be dominant in one system, and completely worthless in another. As a result, film on free agents can be either very insightful, or completely irrelevant. Free agency is ultimately a crap shoot."

OP
OP
RyanO4

RyanO4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Belichick just further proved my point on why using trades and FA can put you over the top. It's genius what he did yesterday. It was a low risk high-reward situation by trading for Bennett. If Bennett has a a great year they could get a high compensatory pick for him leaving in FA and gain back the 4th they gave away, so in reality they get a one year rental, a 6th rounder this year, and a potential high compensatory pick next year and at worst a 5th or 6th round compensatory pick. I understand it was unlikely that the Bears would trade him away to a division rival, but this is what separates the Packers and Patriots come playoff time. TT needs to be a little bit more aggressive in FA. I am not saying sign everyone, but why not Jared Cook or Karlos Dansby?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Belichick just further proved my point on why using trades and FA can put you over the top. It's genius what he did yesterday. It was a low risk high-reward situation by trading for Bennett. If Bennett has a a great year they could get a high compensatory pick for him leaving in FA and gain back the 4th they gave away, so in reality they get a one year rental, a 6th rounder this year, and a potential high compensatory pick next year and at worst a 5th or 6th round compensatory pick. I understand it was unlikely that the Bears would trade him away to a division rival, but this is what separates the Packers and Patriots come playoff time. TT needs to be a little bit more aggressive in FA. I am not saying sign everyone, but why not Jared Cook or Karlos Dansby?

There's a lot of "ifs" and assumptions there. Probably too many for you to say it "proves" your point that it can put you over the top especially concidering there's about zero guarantee that it will

OP
OP
RyanO4

RyanO4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a lot of "ifs" and assumptions there. Probably too many for you to say it "proves" your point that it can put you over the top especially concidering there's about zero guarantee that it will

While I agree there are ifs.... If Bennett does not get injured, I am 90 percent sure this will happen in my opinion. We will wait and see, but it has the potential to prove my point. Is that better, haha? Also, I never said they would win the Super Bowl, only that they will be more competitive come playoff time.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree there are ifs.... If Bennett does not get injured, I am 90 percent sure this will happen in my opinion. We will wait and see, but it has the potential to prove my point. Is that better, haha? Also, I never said they would win the Super Bowl, only that they will be more competitive come playoff time.

Fair enough. I tend to take the phrase "put them over the top" just a different way I guess.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers connecting on a few more passes wouldn´t have resulted in the Packers winning against Denver, Carolina or Arizona in the regular season. While #12 for sure didn´t play up to his potential I don´t think it´s fair to solely blame him for his below average performance as the receivers had trouble getting open, the running game wasn´t working and pass protection was terrible at times.

Also I´m not sure why you´re confident we could have done any better than the Panthers vs. the Broncos in the Super Bowl after the way Denver outplayed us in the regular season.

Raji decided to take a hiatus from the NFL for at least the 2016 season, there´s an entire thread about it:

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/raji-to-retire-from-nfl.65901/page-2#post-657233

There´s no reason for the Packers to be interested in Okung.
I think it's safe to say the lack of interest in Raji from the rest of the league contributed to his decision to take a hiatus.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it's safe to say the lack of interest in Raji from the rest of the league contributed to his decision to take a hiatus.

According to him he had a nice offer from the Packers on the table as well as some playoffs team interested in him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why? He said there was a very nice offer from GB, do you think he was lying? He's a big guy, has close to 30 million in the bank, from reports and said his heart wasn't in it. Maybe he was telling the truth?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
PAck offered a deal over two weeks ago.. Carolina was bringing him in for a visit

He has a sick mom and aunt.. Wants to be home.. His drive wasn't there and he would have came back only for the money..

That takes a lot of courage

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Seems like everyone likes to look for a smoking gun, when in many cases there isn't one. Unless its unloaded and sitting on top of a large pile of money and weed.

RepStar15

Reaction score
With the exit of Raji there are 3 positions that need to be addressed. Dline, TE and ILB. The draft is not going to address all three of these positions in a way that will get GB into the Super Bowl next year. Ted blew it in free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With the exit of Raji there are 3 positions that need to be addressed. Dline, TE and ILB. The draft is not going to address all three of these positions in a way that will get GB into the Super Bowl next year. Ted blew it in free agency.

I didn't know the FA period had ended?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it looks like TT was asleep at the wheel. It appears like he didnt even know Raji was a FA. This one trick pony who refuses to sign his own FAs has got to go. He is now down to only doing 25% of his job, drafting players.

RepStar15

Reaction score
I didn't know the FA period had ended?
It hasn't, but there is no one worthwhile left to sign at these positions. Unless you can name me someone that is a realistic possibility that would actually improve our current situation at the position, yes FA is over. It has been wasted.
If your someone that thinks that Nick Perry is actually worth 5 million and can't see past the fact that TT only signed him to a contract that big to make it look like he didn't waste a second round pick, then maybe you don't think FA was wasted. If you can't read between the lines and truly evaluate a player's worth, then yes I guess you can think TT did not waste free agency for the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It hasn't, but there is no one worthwhile left to sign at these positions. Unless you can name me someone that is a realistic possibility that would actually improve our current situation at the position, yes FA is over. It has been wasted.

Dansby, Cook and Starks. All 3 are still available FA's that in many peoples opinions are being considered by GB and could potentially improve the Packers.

RepStar15

Reaction score
Sorry I must not know enough about football. Please explain to me how a 34 year old linebacker, a running back who was already a part of our team (that we actually have to re-sign because there is no way we can address a TE, DT, DE, ILB and RB in the draft) and a TE that came for a visit and walked away (always a good indication no deal in imminent) is probable OR possible to make the Green Bay Packers a better team?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sorry I must not know enough about football. Please explain to me how a 34 year old linebacker, a running back who was already a part of our team (that we actually have to re-sign because there is no way we can address a TE, DT, DE, ILB and RB in the draft) and a TE that came for a visit and walked away (always a good indication no deal in imminent) is probable OR possible to make the Green Bay Packers a better team?

Ask Julius Peppers what a 34 year old linebacker is capable of.

Starks, currently a FA, is not on the Packer roster at the moment, signing him would help the team IMO.

Your needs list almost doubled between posts, did you check with TT on this?

So your theory is that Cook left GB and has zero chance of returning? Interesting.

I don't think I need to try and convince you that there are ways that the Packers can improve their roster (besides the draft) between now and the start of the season, it seems like your mind is already made up. All I was trying to tell you was the FA signing period actually is not over. But I get it, you have given up and are ready to fire TT.

Last edited:

RepStar15

Reaction score
Ask Julius Peppers what a 34 year old linebacker is capable of.

Starks, currently a FA, is not on the Packer roster at the moment, signing him would help the team IMO.

Your needs list grew, did you check with TT on this?

So your theory is that Cook left GB and has zero chance of returning? Interesting.

I don't think I need to try and convince you that there are ways that the Packers can improve their roster (besides the draft) between now and the start of the season, it seems like your mind is already made up. All I was trying to tell you was the FA signing period actually is not over. But I get it, you have given up and are ready to fire TT.

Yes, Cook left GB and has 0 chance of returning. Either TT did not offer him anything or he wanted more that TT was willing to shell. Given the situation of many NFL teams with tons of cap space, Cook will be gone early next week. Karlos Dansby was released from a team with 46 million dollars of cap space (3rd most in the NFL). Given 2016 his salary was 6 million and 3 million garenteed (meaning the Browns have to pay him 3 million dollars reguardless and can clearly afford an extra 2 million) tells me he really is worthless considering the Browns could use a competent veteran on their defense. If the Cleveland Browns don't want him, how would the Green Bay Packers utilize him? As for Starks, your right, he is currently not on our team. I would say address RB in the draft, but since we did absolutely nothing to address the Dline, ILB or TE in FA, that is no longer a possibility.

What you do not understand is that I used to love TT's approach to the off season. But the past two seasons should have taught us something. Two teams that make signficant signings in free agency have been the past two years Super Bowl champions. That is not a coincidence. Do you think the Patriots would have won two years ago without Darrell Revis, Brandon Browner or Ayers? Do you think the Denver Broncos would have won this year without Talib, Ware, or Owen Daniels (you know the guy the Patriots couldn't stop in the AFC championship)? There is a reason the 2015 Denver Broncos and 2014 New England Patriots won a Super Bowl.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Two teams that make signficant signings in free agency have been the past two years Super Bowl champions. That is not a coincidence.

If you have drank the kool aid that that has you believing this, nothing I say will change your mind. Only thing I can say, look at teams that have won the SB without significant FA signings and also at the overwhelming number of teams who lead the spending on FA's and how they fared.

What you do not understand is that I used to love TT's approach to the off season.

Lastly, you said it yourself, this is TT's approach, you expected something different all of a sudden?

What were two significant moves made by TT that helped the Packers a lot? Peppers and Woodson? Be patient, its not over.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do I think the Patriots win? No, do I think the Broncos do? Possibly. You could have given them all those FA's and replaced Von Miller with Julius Peppers, still a very good OLB and they probably wouldn't have won it. They were a buried on the depth chart RB fumble and perfect kicker finding the perfect moment to screw it up away from not winning and none of those guys were close to ahving the impact that Miller did, not even close. and they have done what GB has already done. if they don't make the playoffs this year did they really accomplish anything more than GB? and Daniels? Unstoppable? He had like 2 catches?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Because they'd replace the guys already in those slots? :)

RepStar15

Reaction score
Do I think the Patriots win? No, do I think the Broncos do? Possibly. You could have given them all those FA's and replaced Von Miller with Julius Peppers, still a very good OLB and they probably wouldn't have won it. They were a buried on the depth chart RB fumble and perfect kicker finding the perfect moment to screw it up away from not winning and none of those guys were close to ahving the impact that Miller did, not even close. and they have done what GB has already done. if they don't make the playoffs this year did they really accomplish anything more than GB? and Daniels? Unstoppable? He had like 2 catches?
Daniels had two touchdown catches against the Pats in the AFC Championship. Would Richard Rodgers have made those catches? Maybe, but he would not have gotten down the field in time to catch Jamie Collins off guard, that's for sure.

RepStar15

Reaction score
Because they'd replace the guys already in those slots? :)
Jared Cook would make the team better. Only he's not being signed by the Packers. Karlos Dansby is a waste of time, there is no future there. If a team like the Browns moves on from you, there is something wrong, and it's not a cap space decision. James Starks does his job, but not overwhelmingly well? He can be replaced with, well anyone. But TT does not give anyone else a chance. It is not patience people, it's that there is nobody left that will make the Packers better. There is a short window in FA where a team can truly make some sort of impact to their roster. I think you people drank the TT kool aid. We have the best QB in the NFL and we have only seen one Super Bowl with him. Why is that?

Members online

Latest posts