When or Should We fire TT?

• After this Year

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Give him another Year

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Ha! As if Mark Murphy has the balls to do that?

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • TT until Aaron Rodgers career is wasted away

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I like him, let's keep him

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 6794

Name them.

Last season the Broncos won the Super Bowl with terrible QB play by Manning. In addition the Vikings won the division with Bridgewater playing at a mediocre level at best. The Texans made the playoffs with Hoyer, Mallett, Yates and Weeden starting for them. Roethlisberger and Smith didn't have a great season last year either.

In addition the Seahawks, Ravens and Giants all have won Super Bowls in the last five years without elite QB play.

Buggy, haven't you heard?? The Packers aren't going to make the playoffs this coming year. They will have a worse record than the Jaguars because TT is the absolute worst manager that ever walked the face of the earth. The defense will totally collapse and every team they play will run roughshod over them because Clay Matthews shouldn't be inside. The offense will suck, because there is no veteran free agent tight end who came in to right the sinking ship. All is lost....:cry:

This post perfectly sums up the ridiculous attitude of the Thompson can't do wrong crowd. Within the last few days I haven't seen anybody mention a word about the Packers being in danger of not making the playoffs in 2016. It will be awfully tough to win the Super Bowl with positions of need not being adequately addressed though.

The Patriots are nothing special without Brady.

Just like the Packers aren't anything special without Rodgers.

I am disappointed in Thompson and staff for apparently not contacting the agents for Trevathan and Green. And we are in agreement far more often than not, but IMO you went over the line with the comment I bolded. Thompson obviously cares deeply about doing his job – so much so I consider him the equivalent of a “gym rat”. He's certainly not distracted by his glamorous social life. Thompson is obviously aware of all the UFAs and for whatever reason(s) decided not to attempt to acquire either. Again, I think that was a mistake, a particularly significant one regarding Trevathan but Thompson can make errors in judgement while still caring deeply about his job.

I think that Thompson is deeply invested in scouting college players and spends more time than any other general manager on doing so. But on the other hand he doesn't care that much about evaluating free agent talent.

That's why I'm convinced he's best suited to be an awesome director of college scouting but not an NFL general manager.

Let's stop acting like a majority of the starters on the offense weren't injured in some way:

Rodgers - knee
Lacy - ankle and weight gain
Jordy - ACL
Cobb - Shoulder
Montgomery - ankle
Shields - concussion
Adams - ankle
The whole OL - knees, back, ankle
Quarless - ACL
etc.

Yes, our play calling was suspect and with everyone either slow or suffering from injuries, of course that is going to make everyone seem bad. I think of it as a fluke that happens every now and then to good teams. The injury bug bites everyone and last year was our turn. I expect a return to form next season.

The Packers suffered the ninth fewest adjusted games lost last season. There's no rwason to use injuries as an excuse for the Packers struggles in 2015.

Well the Packers did make the second round of the playoffs last year with mediocre to good QB play so........

Rodgers' stats during the first six games:

124-of-182 (68.13%), 1,491 yards (8.19 YPA), 15 TD, 2 INT, 115.9 rating

Rodgers' stats the rest of the season, including playoffs:

268-of-470 (57.02%), 2,801 yards (5.96 YPA), 20 TD, 7 INT, 82.4 rating

Not surprisingly the Packers went 6-0 during the first six games while losing seven of 12 the rest of the way. If Rodgers had played mediocre the entire season the team wouldn't have made the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take any team and take away the starting QB and his 2 back ups and all teams are 4-12. So by my calculation, the Packers are twice as talented as most teams in the NFL.
That the Packers had no legitimate backup to Rodgers that year can also be layed at Ted Thompson's doorstep.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the Packers did make the second round of the playoffs last year with mediocre to good QB play so........
There was mediocre to good QB play for part of the season due to the talent around him and getting hit so many times. He looked excellent the first 6 games, which is the main reason why we even had the record to get into the playoffs

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That the Packers had no legitimate backup to Rodgers that year can also be layed at Ted Thompson's doorstep.
Yes, TT reversed our gears too late, when coleman did not show any improvement. So, seneca wallace was brought in and with no training camp, he was not ready to go. He got injured and we brought in Scott tolzein. He also got injured and we brought in Flynn. With 3 injured QBs, what were you expecting? TT to carry 4 QBs?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There was mediocre to good QB play for part of the season due to the talent around him and getting hit so many times. He looked excellent the first 6 games, which is the main reason why we even had the record to get into the playoffs
Weeks 7- to playoffs was torn meniscus..

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We haven't put a Damn good team on the field since 2010. When most of the other playoff teams have a better defense than you, you really don't have a shot.
In 2014 we were 4.5 mins from the superbowl, having made the perceived most dominant team in the NFL at the time, seahawks, our ***** for 55.5 mins. Inexplicably, we had 6 players make 6 stupid plays and we lost it. In their house, which was considered the best home field advantage in the NFL at the time.

That took a ton of talent, and a great team.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, TT reversed our gears too late, when coleman did not show any improvement. So, seneca wallace was brought in and with no training camp, he was not ready to go. He got injured and we brought in Scott tolzein. He also got injured and we brought in Flynn. With 3 injured QBs, what were you expecting? TT to carry 4 QBs?

Not really the point but IIRC Tolzien was never injured. He was just benched for Flynn.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wimm does games lost to injuries count guys who were hurt before the year started like Nelson and Barrington?

D

Deleted member 6794

Thompson and McCarthy should have been well aware entering the 2013 offseason that neither Harrell nor Graham were legitimate backup QBs and addressed the position long before the end of training camp.

Wimm does games lost to injuries count guys who were hurt before the year started like Nelson and Barrington?

Yes, it does. Barrington was injured in week 1 though.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you doubt me type in "packers receivers are slow and can't create separation" into google and look at the columns and many videos discussing it.
How about this, google top receiving corps 2014. Packers are probably in the top 5. Now, how did they go from best to horrible in one season? Is the loss of Jordy that big? I dont think so. The talent is there, but there is an issue on performance. My theory is that it had more to do with the coaching changes.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the blame can be spread across so many things, so equally last year that it made everything seem a lot worse than it is. When one part would show signs of being "fixed" something else broke. Players playing injury, players that couldn't play with an injury, drop in production for all sorts of reasons to lack of concentration to physical in jury affecting the player. Coaching, a change in the overall approach, poor line play, poor running back play, poor wide receiver play, a few bad turnovers, some miscommunications and on and on.

The good news, I think as groups and individually, a lot of guys pushed thru when nothing was working and things were coming around. These guys and coaches have put it together more often than not, I have no reason to think they won't again this year.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about this, google top receiving corps 2014. Packers are probably in the top 5. Now, how did they go from best to horrible in one season? Is the loss of Jordy that big? I dont think so. The talent is there, but there is an issue on performance. My theory is that it had more to do with the coaching changes.

Perhaps semantics, but the Packers' "receiving corps" in 2014 wasn't near the top. Jordy and Cobb were pretty much it, so, yes, the loss of Jordy was that big. Nelson/Cobb accounted for 54% of the receptions, RBs for another 18.5%, so the receiving corps behind the top two guys accounted for a little over 1/4 of the team's catches.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps semantics, but the Packers' "receiving corps" in 2014 wasn't near the top. Jordy and Cobb were pretty much it, so, yes, the loss of Jordy was that big. Nelson/Cobb accounted for 54% of the receptions, RBs for another 18.5%, so the receiving corps behind the top two guys accounted for a little over 1/4 of the team's catches.
I swear this is the first one that popped up in my google search. Bucky Brooks says they were #1 going into the season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-colts-boast-top-receiving-units-in-nfl-today

On another thread someone was actually criticizing TT for the mess at WR for the last few years.

The % of impact Jordy's loss is debatable, but there is no denying he was a very significant loss.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I am disappointed in Thompson and staff for apparently not contacting the agents for Trevathan and Green. And we are in agreement far more often than not, but IMO you went over the line with the comment I bolded. Thompson obviously cares deeply about doing his job – so much so I consider him the equivalent of a “gym rat”. He's certainly not distracted by his glamorous social life. Thompson is obviously aware of all the UFAs and for whatever reason(s) decided not to attempt to acquire either. Again, I think that was a mistake, a particularly significant one regarding Trevathan but Thompson can make errors in judgement while still caring deeply about his job.

Having said that, I do think it’s also disappointing that some here refuse to criticize Thompson at all some going so far as encouraging all to 'just trust him'. And some make what I consider outlandish excuses for him. For example, posting ‘perhaps he was waiting for the price tag on Trevathan and/or Green to go down’. The only way such an excuse would make any sense is if he or his staff were monitoring those price tags.

BTW, I think some should keep in mind that Thompson certainly and demonstrably makes mistakes. And others should keep in mind the Packers will likely put a pretty damn good team on the field this season. ;)
I've stated the things that I disagree with Thompson about. I do tend to trust him in regards to player evaluations. He knows much more about that than myself or any poster in here. He and Ball have all the inside info and both have earned my trust and admiration for the job they do.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No he didn't look excellent the first 6 weeks. He didn't look excellent at all this year after week 3.

In past years you could easily make the argument we needed Rodgers at an elite level to be successful. But using this past season as a reference to make that point is being biased due to previous conceptions. If anything using this past season as reference actually would prove the opposite.

Or is it that people just can't wrap their mind around the fact Rodgers wasn't anywhere close to elite this year?

Don't give me the lack of talent excuse. Sure its a factor but I saw him completely bypass or miss wide open recievers way to many times to say it was the sole factor

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No he didn't look excellent the first 6 weeks. He didn't look excellent at all this year after week 3.

In past years you could easily make the argument we needed Rodgers at an elite level to be successful. But using this past season as a reference to make that point is being biased due to previous conceptions. If anything using this past season as reference actually would prove the opposite.

Or is it that people just can't wrap their mind around the fact Rodgers wasn't anywhere close to elite this year?

Don't give me the lack of talent excuse. Sure its a factor but I saw him completely bypass or miss wide open recievers way to many times to say it was the sole factor

http://thesportsdaily.com/power-ranking-the-top-nfl-mvp-candidates-ahead-of-week-4/

That's after week 4

And week 5 as well

http://www.footballinsiders.com/week-5-nfl-mvp-rankings/

Rodgers was considered mvp all way up till Ram game..

And his accuracy was off from Ram game as well...

Think about it- Rodgers..weeks 1-6 mvp... Weeks 7-playoffs very average or below..

Then season ends, surgery within days on knee..

I'm confident in my sources that his meniscus was torn and he couldn't plant to throw..

2016 we will have a healthy Rodgers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've stated the things that I disagree with Thompson about. I do tend to trust him in regards to player evaluations. He knows much more about that than myself or any poster in here. He and Ball have all the inside info and both have earned my trust and admiration for the job they do.

Yet Thompson hasn't been able to adequately address inside linebacker for four years running and tight end since Finley got injured. As I've said repeatedly he has done a marvelous job building the core of the team but a terrible one of using free agency to selectively address positions of need.

With the uncertainty of how a draft will work out nearly two months in advance sometimes teams have to take a calculated risk on a veteran player from another team with Trevathan and Green being prime examples of players that could have improved positions lacking in talent during this offseason.

Rodgers was ranked second in the league in passer rating after six weeks, so while he struggled against the Rams he mostly played on an elite level before the bye week.

After that he ranked 28th in passer rating the rest of the regular and not surprisingly the Packers went 4-6 (they actually would have gone 3-7 if not for the hail mary at Detroit).

IMO that serves as proof the Packers need elite play from their QB to be a Super Bowl contender.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet Thompson hasn't been able to adequately address inside linebacker for four years running and tight end since Finley got injured. As I've said repeatedly he has done a marvelous job building the core of the team but a terrible one of using free agency to selectively address positions of need.

With the uncertainty of how a draft will work out nearly two months in advance sometimes teams have to take a calculated risk on a veteran player from another team with Trevathan and Green being prime examples of players that could have improved positions lacking in talent during this offseason.

Rodgers was ranked second in the league in passer rating after six weeks, so while he struggled against the Rams he mostly played on an elite level before the bye week.

After that he ranked 28th in passer rating the rest of the regular and not surprisingly the Packers went 4-6 (they actually would have gone 3-7 if not for the hail mary at Detroit).

IMO that serves as proof the Packers need elite play from their QB to be a Super Bowl contender.
4-6 with the 28th ranked passer and a running game that went to crap out of nowhere. 3 of the losses by 1 score in games the defense allowed 20 or less. How many games do they win with say the 12th ranked passer. I would say they generally need good QB play but wouldn't crank it up to elite. Even back in 2013 when Rodgers got hurt they went 2-2-1 with Flynn who is not even good at all.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, I don't always agree with what they do, but I do trust them to do a good job and they haven't disappointed in that regard. WE may not be able to figure out why he never contacted Trevathan's agent, but I doubt it was because he wasn't doing his job. I'm sure he had a reason and if I was a betting man, it would probably have more to do with them evaluating him as a player he didn't figure into their plans.

I know every publication from here to there and all the rating sites and everyone else says he's the best since sliced bread at the ILB. I've said it before, their impressions and mine were almost the exact opposite, though I've admittedly seen few Bronco's games. To me, looked like a guy that was quick to react or diagnose a play in the run game and could slice thru and hit with authority. I saw a guy, not good in coverage. The experts tell me i'm wrong, that's ok.

I asked this before too, what if he turns out to be Sam Barrington that played on a great defense? Or what if he's nothing more than Jake Ryan with some experience? will everyone still be mad? I guess we'll have a front row seat at least twice a year to see what we missed out on. What if we get someone better in the draft? He was afterall a 6th rounder and what do we have, 9 picks this upcoming draft?

I'm not even concerned about TE. I think it's a lot of hot air. I think RR YPC will be up over 10, probably 11 YPC again this year and any TE that is giving you 50-60 catches and 8TD's is filling the TE position nicely in this league. Big body, great hands. He made some nice catches for us last year. I don't think these other guys were going to offer any more. SOmething different maybe, but not more. and i'm done wondering why SD let Green go, i've already come to the conclusion he wasn't worth it. Young ascending players aren't jettisoned in favor of old declining players in this league very often. Maybe they just misjudged, maybe they know something? Maybe Ted knew something? If we can agree he can evaluate talent, well, he should have a pretty good idea who and what these guys are right?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, I don't always agree with what they do, but I do trust them to do a good job and they haven't disappointed in that regard. WE may not be able to figure out why he never contacted Trevathan's agent, but I doubt it was because he wasn't doing his job. I'm sure he had a reason and if I was a betting man, it would probably have more to do with them evaluating him as a player he didn't figure into their plans.

I know every publication from here to there and all the rating sites and everyone else says he's the best since sliced bread at the ILB. I've said it before, their impressions and mine were almost the exact opposite, though I've admittedly seen few Bronco's games. To me, looked like a guy that was quick to react or diagnose a play in the run game and could slice thru and hit with authority. I saw a guy, not good in coverage. The experts tell me i'm wrong, that's ok.

I asked this before too, what if he turns out to be Sam Barrington that played on a great defense? Or what if he's nothing more than Jake Ryan with some experience? will everyone still be mad? I guess we'll have a front row seat at least twice a year to see what we missed out on. What if we get someone better in the draft? He was afterall a 6th rounder and what do we have, 9 picks this upcoming draft?

I'm not even concerned about TE. I think it's a lot of hot air. I think RR YPC will be up over 10, probably 11 YPC again this year and any TE that is giving you 50-60 catches and 8TD's is filling the TE position nicely in this league. Big body, great hands. He made some nice catches for us last year. I don't think these other guys were going to offer any more. SOmething different maybe, but not more. and i'm done wondering why SD let Green go, i've already come to the conclusion he wasn't worth it. Young ascending players aren't jettisoned in favor of old declining players in this league very often. Maybe they just misjudged, maybe they know something? Maybe Ted knew something? If we can agree he can evaluate talent, well, he should have a pretty good idea who and what these guys are right?
That's the way it goes, guys on great units look better than they would on worse teams. Receivers like Jennings and Cobb are examples, but they all elevate their level of play and that could translate to their next job.

You were talking about Trevathan being a role player, while complimenting Rodgers, who is a 3rd string caliber talent thrust into the starting line-up. It's clear that his lack of speed to get open and blocking skills were hurting the team. And you can reference the number of catches all you want, when in reality about 20% of those were for that stupid 1 yard TE screen, which is why his YPC are horrendous.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://thesportsdaily.com/power-ranking-the-top-nfl-mvp-candidates-ahead-of-week-4/

That's after week 4

And week 5 as well

http://www.footballinsiders.com/week-5-nfl-mvp-rankings/

Rodgers was considered mvp all way up till Ram game..

And his accuracy was off from Ram game as well...

Think about it- Rodgers..weeks 1-6 mvp... Weeks 7-playoffs very average or below..

Then season ends, surgery within days on knee..

I'm confident in my sources that his meniscus was torn and he couldn't plant to throw..

2016 we will have a healthy Rodgers.

We've had an injured Rodgers the past few years. Maybe all those sacks are catching up to him

Members online

Latest posts