When or Should We fire TT?

• After this Year

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Give him another Year

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Ha! As if Mark Murphy has the balls to do that?

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • TT until Aaron Rodgers career is wasted away

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I like him, let's keep him

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 6794

The absolute assumption that we are going to be terrible at ILB next year because Trevathan wasn't signed.
All of our current guys are very young and developing outside of Matthews. We also have 9 draft picks and I feel that one of them will likely be used on an ILB.
I feel that a lot of the posters here almost always assume that the player we saw at the end of last season is the same guy we will see in the second half of next season. These guys aren't static in their development. I fully expect that Thomas, Ryan and Barrington will be better players than we've seen so far.

Like all of the other inside linebackers over the last four years???

Going into this offseason as well as the last two years it was obvious to nearly everyone that the Packers were in dire need of an upgrade at ILB, so desperate the coaching staff was fine with moving their best defensive player out of position to improve the talent level there. Yet Thompson decided to stand pat aside of adding some mid- to late-round picks as well as undrafted rookies.

Nobody capable of evaluating TT in an objective way would agree with his approach regarding the position over the last four years.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Just try to be honest for once, do you really think that Trevathan and Green signed for ridiculous money???
Honest for once????

I've always been very honest about my viewpoints. I think you're acting like a jerk for insinuating otherwise.

No, I don't think either one signed for ridiculous money. Apparently the Packer management didn't think all that highly of either player or maybe they were seeing if their price tag would come down some. The truth is, we have no way of knowing because Thompson probably isn't going to tell us.

I stand by my earlier statement that it's mostly a crowd of fools throwing silly money at guys that their previous team is willing to part with.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The absolute assumption that we are going to be terrible at ILB next year because Trevathan wasn't signed.
All of our current guys are very young and developing outside of Matthews. We also have 9 draft picks and I feel that one of them will likely be used on an ILB.
I feel that a lot of the posters here almost always assume that the player we saw at the end of last season is the same guy we will see in the second half of next season. These guys aren't static in their development. I fully expect that Thomas, Ryan and Barrington will be better players than we've seen so far.

We need to be realistic here. When was the last time TT has signed a real UFA? I am not talking about players who were cut like Peppers or Guion. TT is not going to give up a precious 5th round comp pick by signing a true free agent. Look for players who have been cut because I truly believe these are the only players TT even considers. I am still waiting to be shocked.

Glad I asked. I see no correlation between the post you Disagreed with and an 'absolute assumption that we are going to be terrible at ILB next year because Trevathan wasn't signed'.

D

Deleted member 6794

No, I don't think either one signed for ridiculous money. Apparently the Packer management didn't think all that highly of either player or maybe they were seeing if their price tag would come down some. The truth is, we have no way of knowing because Thompson probably isn't going to tell us.

Thompson didn't even know about Trevathan's price tag because he didn't talk to him or his agent at all. I'm getting tired of people making random excuses for him even when it's obvious he doesn't even care about doing his job.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The huge difference between you and me being that I'm crediting Thompson with doing a fine job overall but you not even being able to question his approach for a second.
I offer my opinion whenever I disagree with TT. The biggest difference is I don't arrogantly demean TT. I don't think for a second I have more information on players, draftees, or more experience and knowledge of the GM position than TT and his team of scouts and coaches. I don't read a few websites, watch a few youtube videos and then an deluded into thinking to criticize one of the most respected NFL GMs around.
Two words, AARON RODGERS!!! As I've mentioned repeatedly Thompson does deserve huge credit for drafting and sticking with him in 2008, that doesn't change that the talent level aside of the QB position hasn't been close to elite for most of TT's tenure though.
And yet the Packers are considered to have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL.
It's ridiculous to only rely on players improving from their rookie to second season and so on to improve the overall talent level of the team. In addition to it not happening with every single player you ignore guys regressing because of age.
Again, the Packers are often considered to have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. How does that happen if TT doesn't do his job?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Consider the young players over recent years that would be considered low end starters, just via inexperience/late round pick/undrafted etc, or just flat out not bein very good, that Ted entrusted with major roles.

Brad Jones, Jerron McMillian, and MD Jennings come to mind; these guys didn't develop, they're just not in the league because they're very bad football players.

Very occasionally, TT has struck gold with a guy like Sam Shields (that's the only real example in this case that I can come up with).

In general when TT entrusts these dark horse players with major roles who none of us have much confidence in, he's been met with disastrous results.

It's getting really frustrating watching him continuing to refuse to adapt because there's clearly enough of a sample size for him to see that the best guy isn't always the guy already on his team.

D

Deleted member 6794

I offer my opinion whenever I disagree with TT.

Amazingly I can't remember that ever happening.

Again, the Packers are often considered to have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. How does that happen if TT doesn't do his job?

The Packers feature one of the best teams in the NFL because of having the best QB in the game and Thompson mostly doing a good job drafting. Without Rodgers as the starter the Packers have compiled a 3-5-1 record since 2008. You decide for yourself if that speaks to having one of the best rosters without considering the QB position.

Thompson would be an awesome director of college scouting but I'm leaning more and more toward him not being a good general manager.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take Aaron Rodgers out of the equation and Thompson has built an 8-8 team.
We have seen that.
Take any team and take away the starting QB and his 2 back ups and all teams are 4-12. So by my calculation, the Packers are twice as talented as most teams in the NFL.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take any team and take away the starting QB and his 2 back ups and all teams are 4-12. So by my calculation, the Packers are twice as talented as most teams in the NFL.

Except for the Broncos last year. That defense was stupid good. But I agree with your point otherwise. The "take away the quarterback" argument is very flawed.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are several teams in the league capable of playing at a high level with mediocre to good QB play. The Packers need Rodgers to perform at an elite level to do the same.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Green puts up RR numbers or less and Trevathan turns out to have been nothing more than Sam Barrington on a very good defense with the truly talented people playing in front of him and behind him, will Ted Thompson still be an idiot?

D

Deleted member 6794

Except for the Broncos last year. That defense was stupid good. But I agree with your point otherwise. The "take away the quarterback" argument is very flawed.

The Broncos have a far superior overall talent level than the Packers. Who would have guessed they used all methods available to achieve that???

BTW it's kind of strange you come up with a perfect example and yet come to the conclusion the argument is flawed.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Since the poll favors by a wide margin that people want to keep Ted, it maybe time to close this thread.

People seem to be having issues in keeping it civil anyways

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Broncos have a far superior overall talent level than the Packers. Who would have guessed they used all methods available to achieve that???

BTW it's kind of strange you come up with a perfect example and yet come to the conclusion the argument is flawed.
One 4th string running back fumble away from not winning anything, and the next week were the benefactors of the most accurate kicker in the nfl missing an extra point from not winning it either. And still, they have won exactly what Ted Thompson and the Green Bay packers have already won. I'm curious to see if they even make the playoffs this next season

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for grins, the playoff QBs this year. Not going to rate them, as the folks on one side will think they're all HOF-eligible, and the other group will figure they're all pond scum.

Brady
Dalton
Rothlisberger (sp?)
Hoyer
Manning/Osweiler
Smith
Cousins
Rodgers
Newton
Palmer
Wilson

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
thank God...lol go in peace

Buggy, haven't you heard?? The Packers aren't going to make the playoffs this coming year. They will have a worse record than the Jaguars because TT is the absolute worst manager that ever walked the face of the earth. The defense will totally collapse and every team they play will run roughshod over them because Clay Matthews shouldn't be inside. The offense will suck, because there is no veteran free agent tight end who came in to right the sinking ship. All is lost....:cry:

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Buggy, haven't you heard?? The Packers aren't going to make the playoffs this coming year. They will have a worse record than the Jaguars because TT is the absolute worst manager that ever walked the face of the earth. The defense will totally collapse and every team they play will run roughshod over them because Clay Matthews shouldn't be inside. The offense will suck, because there is no veteran free agent tight end who came in to right the sinking ship. All is lost....:cry:

:devilish: Corner !!.........Now !!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully expect the Packer to be in the playoffs this year, but that's not really the point. I expect that as long as Aaron Rodgers is on the 53 regardless of who the other 52 are.

The lack of free agency activity isn't really the point either. I'd be much less bothered if A) We hadn't spent 'stupid' money (IMO) on Crosby, Perry, Taylor, and to a minor extent, Guion, and B) We had at least expressed our interest and communicated with the top free agents at our weakest positions. That bothers me a LOT. Imagine going out and shopping for a major purchase. In this case, millions of dollars worth of capital are at stake. But instead of shopping around and talking to dealers, you just go to your favorite store and pay sticker price for items you don't really need. That's what is going on in Green Bay.

Members online