When or Should We fire TT?

• After this Year

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Give him another Year

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Ha! As if Mark Murphy has the balls to do that?

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • TT until Aaron Rodgers career is wasted away

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I like him, let's keep him

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully expect the Packer to be in the playoffs this year, but that's not really the point. I expect that as long as Aaron Rodgers is on the 53 regardless of who the other 52 are.

The lack of free agency activity isn't really the point either. I'd be much less bothered if A) We hadn't spent 'stupid' money (IMO) on Crosby, Perry, Taylor, and to a minor extent, Guion, and B) We had at least expressed our interest and communicated with the top free agents at our weakest positions. That bothers me a LOT. Imagine going out and shopping for a major purchase. In this case, millions of dollars worth of capital are at stake. But instead of shopping around and talking to dealers, you just go to your favorite store and pay sticker price for items you don't really need. That's what is going on in Green Bay.
Now if we didnt sign Crosby (all time leading scorer for the Greenbay Packers). Then we would have another hole in the roster. I think its good we locked him up for another few years. He is stable if anything else. And Im still waiting to see that 70 yd fg...

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Broncos have a far superior overall talent level than the Packers. Who would have guessed they used all methods available to achieve that???

BTW it's kind of strange you come up with a perfect example and yet come to the conclusion the argument is flawed.

Elway went all-in for a ring. It worked. Now, as others have alluded to, they don't even look like division favorites next year. He took a huge gamble and it paid off. Can't even tell if you're serious anymore.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now if we didnt sign Crosby (all time leading scorer for the Greenbay Packers). Then we would have another hole in the roster. I think its good we locked him up for another few years. He is stable if anything else. And Im still waiting to see that 70 yd fg...

I'm not going to get into the numbers for the millionth time other than to say they consistently show Mason in the middle-bottom of the NFL.

And the all time leading scorer is code for 'any kicker who has been in Green Bay a long time.' Before Mason it was Longwell. Chris Jacke is 4th on the list. You get the picture.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Take Aaron Rodgers out of the equation and Thompson has built an 8-8 team.
We have seen that.
Belicheck is 8-8 without Brady too.

Why take Rodgers out of the equation? Thompson is responsible for him being here.

The NFL is designed to bring everyone back to 8-8. Draft, salary cap, scheduling. We're defying all the odds, that's not a fluke or by accident.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Belicheck is 8-8 without Brady too.

Why take Rodgers out of the equation? Thompson is responsible for him being here.

The NFL is designed to bring everyone back to 8-8. Draft, salary cap, scheduling. We're defying all the odds, that's not a fluke or by accident.
They went 11-5 in 2008 without him...

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If Green puts up RR numbers or less and Trevathan turns out to have been nothing more than Sam Barrington on a very good defense with the truly talented people playing in front of him and behind him, will Ted Thompson still be an idiot?
Of course!

We've got a pretty fair number of people here that think they know more than Ted Thompson.

We've also got a few here that want him gone because they don't like his public persona.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I offer my opinion whenever I disagree with TT. The biggest difference is I don't arrogantly demean TT. I don't think for a second I have more information on players, draftees, or more experience and knowledge of the GM position than TT and his team of scouts and coaches. I don't read a few websites, watch a few youtube videos and then an deluded into thinking to criticize one of the most respected NFL GMs around.

And yet the Packers are considered to have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL.

Again, the Packers are often considered to have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. How does that happen if TT doesn't do his job?
Who in the world considers them to have one of the most talented rosters in the league?

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who in the world considers them to have one of the most talented rosters in the league?

- Best QB in the league
- One of the best and deepest WR corps in the league
- One of the best OL in the league
- A quickly rising secondary that can make a push for one of the best groups in the league

I think that's why.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I've heard a number of the so-called NFL experts hold the Packers roster in high regard.

Do you people really think that fans & experts around the country think we have an average or lousy team? We're seen nationally as one of the elite NFL teams.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB has more talent than Denver? The team that just won a championship with statistically the worst QB ever in a SB? Dallas and Buffalo are in the top 5, as well. As reputable as Cheetsheat.com sounds, you really have to question their credibility.

I know my question was pretty broad and pertained to anybody who considered them the most talented, but we are all intelligent beings. You knew what I meant.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard a number of the so-called NFL experts hold the Packers roster in high regard.

Do you people really think that fans & experts around the country think we have an average or lousy team? We're seen nationally as one of the elite NFL teams.

That is odd, all i heard all last year is that the Packers were a joke and everyone knows how to beat them, the receivers are slow and can't get separation, the are completely incapable of covering a tight end, etc...

The overall theme of this past season was not that of a talented team...

The overall deficiencies of this team have been very well hidden by the talent of Rodgers, Jordy Nelson & Clay Matthews for quite a few years now which is why they always crumble in the spotlight. It takes more than 3 guys to win a Super Bowl.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had a pretty good #2 that year. We lost Rodgers after our established #2 left town. The Patriots are nothing special without Brady.
They had the #2 pass rush next to Denver, a better secondary than we have, and perhaps the best TE in NFL history. If that's nothing special, I would love to be special.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is odd, all i heard all last year is that the Packers were a joke and everyone knows how to beat them, the receivers are slow and can't get separation, the are completely incapable of covering a tight end, etc...

The overall theme of this past season was not that of a talented team...

The overall deficiencies of this team have been very well hidden by the talent of Rodgers, Jordy Nelson & Clay Matthews for quite a few years now which is why they always crumble in the spotlight. It takes more than 3 guys to win a Super Bowl.
Agreed.

The receivers were peppered every single week by analysts and secondaries alike. It wasn't completely due to talent, but predictable play-calling that just didn't work against good defenses and without a stud receiver like Nelson.

I'm just as disappointed about them not improving the offensive coaching personnel, but this all trickles down from TT and his stubbornness. Failure shouldn't be accepted if you are to be one of the best franchises in the league, which our record in the playoffs during the past 5 years shows that we are not.

Opposing coaches called us out on the receivers inability to get open due to speed. And speed=athleticism=talent...right?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well you have to stop talking to Cptwimm so much.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of people making random excuses for him even when it's obvious he doesn't even care about doing his job.
I am disappointed in Thompson and staff for apparently not contacting the agents for Trevathan and Green. And we are in agreement far more often than not, but IMO you went over the line with the comment I bolded.

Last edited:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well you have to stop talking to Cptwimm so much.

While I appreciate your attempt at humor, and I assume that is what it was, either that or you literally never watched a single Packer game last year, never watched a single sports news channel, never read a single sports news column in print or on the internet or you would not be saying that, the fact is it was true and everyone one in the world knew it except for homer fans and our coaching staff as they flat our refused to put man beater packages into the offense.

If you doubt me type in "packers receivers are slow and can't create separation" into google and look at the columns and many videos discussing it.

Perhaps being Amish you have no access to any of that, come to think of it, how are you even posting. Are you on Rumspringa?

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams I think have more talent than us minus qb:
Broncos
Seahawks
Bills
Eagles
Dolphins
Chiefs
Jets
Cowboys

Bengals, panthers and Vikings are pretty good too, I dunno about more talented overall than us.

Having the best qb in the game helps us out a bit. Still I think we're one of the more talented rosters in the league even without Rodgers, but a nice free agent addition wouldn't hurt and would provide more draft flexibility considering our olb and oline will be big priorities next offseason. We atleast need to make sure we take care of ilb this season and tight end if we're feeling frisky.

Last edited:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am disappointed in Thompson and staff for apparently not contacting the agents for Trevathan and Green. And we are in agreement far more often than not, but IMO you went over the line with the comment I bolded. Thompson obviously cares deeply about doing his job – so much so I consider him the equivalent of a “gym rat”. He's certainly not distracted by his glamorous social life. Thompson is obviously aware of all the UFAs and for whatever reason(s) decided not to attempt to acquire either. Again, I think that was a mistake, a particularly significant one regarding Trevathan but Thompson can make errors in judgement while still caring deeply about his job.

Having said that, I do think it’s also disappointing that some here refuse to criticize Thompson at all some going so far as encouraging all to 'just trust him'. And some make what I consider outlandish excuses for him. For example, posting ‘perhaps he was waiting for the price tag on Trevathan and/or Green to go down’. The only way such an excuse would make any sense is if he or his staff were monitoring those price tags.

So confused, any time I have even remotely criticized Rodgers, McCarthy or TT, you have flat out used the term Farve licker in referring to me, yet know you are suggesting it is okay to criticize? I am not going to squabble with you at all but reading your comment here is a bit odd, well for me at least anyway.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
So confused, any time I have even remotely criticized Rodgers, McCarthy or TT, you have flat out used the term Farve licker in referring to me, yet know you are suggesting it is okay to criticize? I am not going to squabble with you at all but reading your comment here is a bit odd, well for me at least anyway.
You're confused?? First, the only poster a part of my post was directed to was captainWIMM, I would think it's obvious the rest of my post was directed to the forum in general. IOW, it's not all about you. Second I just did a search for me using the word "licker" on this forum and it came up empty. And last, I have criticized Rodgers, McCarthy and Thompson on this board, but I probably disagreed with your posting like a Favre acolyte (but frankly I don't pay enough attention to you to remember - not intended as a dig - it's just the truth.)

Last edited:

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's stop acting like a majority of the starters on the offense weren't injured in some way:

Rodgers - knee
Lacy - ankle and weight gain
Jordy - ACL
Cobb - Shoulder
Montgomery - ankle
Shields - concussion
Adams - ankle
The whole OL - knees, back, ankle
Quarless - ACL
etc.

Yes, our play calling was suspect and with everyone either slow or suffering from injuries, of course that is going to make everyone seem bad. I think of it as a fluke that happens every now and then to good teams. The injury bug bites everyone and last year was our turn. I expect a return to form next season.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am disappointed in Thompson and staff for apparently not contacting the agents for Trevathan and Green. And we are in agreement far more often than not, but IMO you went over the line with the comment I bolded. Thompson obviously cares deeply about doing his job – so much so I consider him the equivalent of a “gym rat”. He's certainly not distracted by his glamorous social life. Thompson is obviously aware of all the UFAs and for whatever reason(s) decided not to attempt to acquire either. Again, I think that was a mistake, a particularly significant one regarding Trevathan but Thompson can make errors in judgement while still caring deeply about his job.

Having said that, I do think it’s also disappointing that some here refuse to criticize Thompson at all some going so far as encouraging all to 'just trust him'. And some make what I consider outlandish excuses for him. For example, posting ‘perhaps he was waiting for the price tag on Trevathan and/or Green to go down’. The only way such an excuse would make any sense is if he or his staff were monitoring those price tags.

BTW, I think some should keep in mind that Thompson certainly and demonstrably makes mistakes. And others should keep in mind the Packers will likely put a pretty damn good team on the field this season. ;)
We haven't put a Damn good team on the field since 2010. When most of the other playoff teams have a better defense than you, you really don't have a shot.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are several teams in the league capable of playing at a high level with mediocre to good QB play. The Packers need Rodgers to perform at an elite level to do the same.

Well the Packers did make the second round of the playoffs last year with mediocre to good QB play so........

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts