Studs n duds Brazil edition

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MCL sprain if there’s no tear he might not even miss any time but he’ll be braced for a while.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem I saw was that Nixon did not run it back well. If he's going to run it back; he needs to run full speed ahead. And probably not immediately up the middle. His return looked doom right from the start.
Returning the ball from 6 yards deep rarely has a good result. We don't even know how returns are going to look yet in this new kickoff scheme, which I already hate.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have reported that Love will be out multiple weeks with an MCL sprain. Most likely it's a 3-4 week injury. If that's the case, MLF will really need to earn his salary because if they go 0-5 to start the season, the odds of making the playoffs is miniscule. At a bare minimum, the Packers need to win at least one game during his absence to keep the season on life support.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've all seen bad fields, we live in WI and our team plays at Lambeau. But that was the worst playing field I've ever seen for an NFL game. Even adjusting cleats didn't help. There was no excuse for not knowing in advance how un-NFL ready that field was. Goodell should be docked a few million for allowing that game to be played.
They made the field LOOK clean and pretty but it was inexcusable. Goodell is at fault. Weather can cause field issues but not commissioners. You have to go back decades for a field like this due to NON climatic conditions.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Returning the ball from 6 yards deep rarely has a good result. We don't even know how returns are going to look yet in this new kickoff scheme, which I already hate.
It was desperation. A remote chance of a long return. If we had made our FG and only been down 2 LaFleur knows he only has to go 30 yards to have a chance. But down by 5 your only chance is a Hail Mary or Desmond Howard.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem I saw was that Nixon did not run it back well. If he's going to run it back; he needs to run full speed ahead. And probably not immediately up the middle. His return looked doom right from the start.
I was going to post this after Pokers first post regarding it but I forgot to hit send. Basically I thought the same thing. Part of the problem the way I saw it was that he couldn't field it with momentum. If I recall he had to kind of jump and look up to field it and it not only took his eyes off a potential return lane (not that he shouldn't keep his eyes on the ball) it also ensured he was starting from a full stop. If he was planning on returning it I think he should have been standing at the back of the endzone. He might have ben able to field it on the fly. I may be off on the details but it looked as if the return was compromised from the second it hit the ground.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have reported that Love will be out multiple weeks with an MCL sprain. Most likely it's a 3-4 week injury. If that's the case, MLF will really need to earn his salary because if they go 0-5 to start the season, the odds of making the playoffs is miniscule. At a bare minimum, the Packers need to win at least one game during his absence to keep the season on life support.
If it is "only" a sprain and Love isn't lost for the season we dodged a major bullet IM0. To be honest I was expecting the worst.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love's injury costs the Pack from making the playoffs I will blame Karma. I will blame the bad Karma on those who publicly and others who privately reveled in Rodgers injury last year. Here's to hoping they truly did dodge a major bullet and the season is not lost.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams lose their starting QB all the time and make the playoffs. If youre going to lose all your games when theyre out - you’re not a good football team. Team has got to step up sack up and play football.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love's injury costs the Pack from making the playoffs I will blame Karma. I will blame the bad Karma on those who publicly and others who privately reveled in Rodgers injury last year. Here's to hoping they truly did dodge a major bullet and the season is not lost.
Well blame me and your voodoo doll because I was happy as a clam when Rodgers went down and I hope he sucks this year LOL. Injuries happen - next man up. Gardner Minshew took the Colts to the playoffs last year. If you cant win some games with your backup youre not a good team.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there was such a thing as karma, the Broncos wouldn't have beaten us in SB32 after they violated the salary cap rules.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As we saw last night, Love and the offense were out of sync at times. Not really unexpected, since they are a young and relatively a new group. Also, I don't think it helps that the coaching staff decided to let most of them sit for most of the preseason. That approach might be fine with a veteran QB, with other established players, but I think the wrong approach with this group.

So whenever Love does return, it will be like game 2 for him with this offense. Hardly the situation you want 4 -7 games into the season.

Sure, playing starters during the preseason exposes them to the risk of injuries, but so does putting them out there in Game #1of the regular season, with rust on their tires. On the play that Love got hurt, the OL all collapsed like a cheap tent against a 4 man rush.

Reaction score
Anytime you are +2 in the turnover dept., you should win a game. The Packers got what, 6 points off of turnovers?
Yes. Lots of potential points we left on the table.

I just see it like this. Someone is going to Win the game and if I’m not mistaken the Eagles were a slight favorite? The Eagles were the most experienced team and it’s general reasoning that the younger team is going to need a little more time to get fluid. Last year was a good example, Love was under throwing WR’s every other game until about what? Mid season.

It just sucks that Jordan will miss some games. I still believe the nucleus of the team is pretty good and this one didn’t bother me that much because it’s Week 1. How many times did we see Rodgers blow it Week 1. It was almost regular. Both Brady and Rodgers had season matchups in consecutive years that the LOST
3-38. That’s 2 HOF QB’s we’re talking about.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’m not nearly as worried about losing a close game to a quality football team in Week 1 as I am losing games because we didn’t have a more solid QB plan. In a season like this you just gotta pony up and sign a quality Veteran.
I distinctly recall #12 starting 1-3 or
2-3 and still having a good season. We can’t just throw up our hands as we might not see Jordan for a month.

I’d like to see us make a move for a veteran

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i didnt really see an available Vet that looked compelling unless you’re talking about TRADING for one

Reaction score
Teams lose their starting QB all the time and make the playoffs. If youre going to lose all your games when theyre out - you’re not a good football team. Team has got to step up sack up and play football.
I'm not sold on our backups though, I don't think they are ready/good enough at the moment. I also don't think our backups are as good as most teams' backups.

Even great teams are going to take a step back when losing the starting QB, even most SB contenders if they lost their starting QB are probably hoping to just be a competitive 500 type football team until the starter comes back.

I haven't looked at the records, but I'm guessing most teams that were successful when losing the starting QB signed a veteran free agent like Cleveland did with Joe Flacco last year.

In addition, while I do think we are a good team with talent and not just a good QB like some seem to think (as if you could win with just a QB, I think that's a ridiculous argument), I do think we aren't the type of team built to win primarily with a dominant defense and running game, and a game-manager type QB. I do think we need to have a QB who is at least an average passer.

I tend to think we do need to sign someone like Tannehill, even if it is just for 3-6 weeks, because you don't want to get off to a very bad start.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
But that was the worst playing field I've ever seen for an NFL game.
You don't recall some of the late season Soldier Field after the city high school games?
Alexander's decision on the int was also dumb
He looked to be catching them napping but got run down from behind. Someone picks up the Wr and he had a lot of yards ahead.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not nearly as worried about losing a close game to a quality football team in Week 1 as I am losing games because we didn’t have a more solid QB plan. In a season like this you just gotta pony up and sign a quality Veteran.
I distinctly recall #12 starting 1-3 or
2-3 and still having a good season. We can’t just throw up our hands as we might not see Jordan for a month.

I’d like to see us make a move for a veteran
Outside of Tannehill (and he is 3 years older than God) what other veteran is out there were worth looking at?

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I'm for Clifford starting against the Colts. Not a fan of his overall, but I think he is the better option, at least this coming week. He has been in the system, knows the playbook, and has more continuity with the receivers. Willis hasn't had enough time with the team, to make me think he would give us a better chance to beat the Colts.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
There is no reason Edgerrin Cooper shouldn't start against the Colts. He had a very nice first game, his speed to get to the ball was very evident, and I feel he will make that front 7 better.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not Nixons first time making a decision like that idk that was inexplicable. I can't imagine anyway the coaches told him to do that.

Alexander's decision on the int was also dumb

Actually if you rewatch that, it was GENIUS. If all the DBs around him actually block Smith and he doesn't get him from behind he is easily at the forty or more...guys gotta stop watching and blocking.

Members online

Latest posts