Studs & Duds - Indianapolis

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it hilarious that you just blow by the fact they literally took an entire phase of the game out of it for Indy and for the first half nearly the entire offense including the rush. You cannot expect what they did the first half to continue the entire game against the run - especially when arguably you are going against one of the best young backs in the entire league - JT is legit special, the way he sets up cuts before making them is insane.

There are numerous ways for a front to win the play, series, drive, quarter, half and game. Sometimes that is to control the pocket and edges more so than get to the passer...other times it is all about pinning ears back and going to get him....folks look to the sack column way way way too much...it's like a dog when a squirrel runs by....

That front made two of those three picks with pressure - I'll have to watch the All22 here soon and see if it was all three.
Cannot forget to notice the difference in plays ran and time of possession. MLF had the right game plan for this game.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh we agreed, I just used your comment to build off of, not contradict.
The fumble was devastating but fortunately, the Colts were not good enough to turn the game around. I believe Jacobs saw daylight and thought he had the TD and the defender came out of nowhere. He has to learn especially inside the 10 yard line to put two hands on the ball and put the head down. Hornung and Taylor instinctively did that for Lombardi.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fumble was devastating but fortunately, the Colts were not good enough to turn the game around. I believe Jacobs saw daylight and thought he had the TD and the defender came out of nowhere. He has to learn especially inside the 10 yard line to put two hands on the ball and put the head down. Hornung and Taylor instinctively did that for Lombardi.

Oh if you watch the replays he was starting to reach I think as he was partially going down when he noticed the incoming hit and he didn't get his arm back to tucked.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
A lot of us called for Watson to stop getting the ball on Jet sweeps or any other runs. We seemed to think the hamstring was more of an issue after he was used on running plays. Just a guess.

I agree. I would rather they use Reed on those and save Watson for catching the ball. He has been super quiet thus far though. 3 catches, 13 yds and 1 TD.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Myers - he only barfed on the ball once.

Jacobs - wow he is a good addition to the offense and burned some clock. Most rush attempts since 78!

Duds:

Quay Walker - he is just bewildered out there. New D and he is not reacting.

MLF really did a good job w this game plan. On to the Titans where our backup may have an extra payback something in store.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
On to the Titans where our backup may have an extra payback something in store.

Yup, was thinking about that last night while watching the Bears -Titan game. Willis will be working OT this week continuing to learn the Packer offense, while teaching the Packer defense all he knows about the Titans offense. Wonder if he can be mic'd up still when the defense is out there, might be helpful.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Jacobs - wow he is a good addition to the offense and burned some clock. Most rush attempts since 78!

Duds:

MLF really did a good job w this game plan. On to the Titans where our backup may have an extra payback something in store.
Wishing we could spell Jacobs some. Lloyd just cannot seem to stay on the field. One carry and he gets hurt. If the Packers are going to run the ball a ton while Love is out one back cannot do it all.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Wishing we could spell Jacobs some. Lloyd just cannot seem to stay on the field. One carry and he gets hurt. If the Packers are going to run the ball a ton while Love is out one back cannot do it all.
Good thing Jacobs is a bell cow back, something we haven't had for awhile. Lloyd had 6 carries, and Wilson had 5, but they weren't overly successful. ( Although Lloyd did have a nice run called back on a penalty)

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, was thinking about that last night while watching the Bears -Titan game. Willis will be working OT this week continuing to learn the Packer offense, while teaching the Packer defense all he knows about the Titans offense. Wonder if he can be mic'd up still when the defense is out there, might be helpful.
That coin has 2 sides. The TN. staff and players most likely will have a good handle on his strengths and weaknesses.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why I said they left points on the field. ;)

Also, the missed FG. While I like Narveson so far, I hope he starts making the 40+ yarders more consistently. Might have been as issue elsewhere, but he has now missed 2 between 40-50 yards. At least he is 3-3 on XP's.

I watched more football yesterday than I normally do and watching some of these kickers appear to be automatic from 55 yards on in, as a Packer fan, was frustrating.
Austin Siebert was 7-7 yesterday. I hope we didn't pick up the wrong guy.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Duds:

Maybe Quay will be better after he learns the defense and uses his athletic ability instead of thinking too much?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we have another RB on the PS to lighten the load while Love is sidelined?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Quay will be better after he learns the defense and uses his athletic ability instead of thinking too much?

It's the only shred of hope we have. I have no doubt Isaiah McDuffie goes to bed praying for a body switch...if his drive and headstrong mentality could be attached to a better physical specimen we would have a clear starting level offball #2

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Quay Walker doesn't know the defense yet, why the F would he be wearing the Green Dot? That really wouldn't be smart IMO. Yes, I know he is in the center of the field, but give it to Xavier McKinney. He has played that role before and probably knows the defense well enough to do a better job. Again, that is if Quay doesn't know the defense and/or not doing a good job relaying what the coaches want to do.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Quay Walker doesn't know the defense yet, why the F would he be wearing the Green Dot? That really wouldn't be smart IMO. Yes, I know he is in the center of the field, but give it to Xavier McKinney. He has played that role before and probably knows the defense well enough to do a better job. Again, that is if Quay doesn't know the defense and/or not doing a good job relaying what the coaches want to do.

I'm removing it less about play but more about let him worry about ONLY what happens after breaking the huddle or call...not having to relay it and to an extent folks know....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm removing it less about play but more about let him worry about ONLY what happens after breaking the huddle or call...not having to relay it and to an extent folks know....
I see that Quay scored a 9 on the Wonderlic.

Some players are meant to lead and some were meant to follow. If Quay's football IQ isn't great or even just a bit slow, I just don't see him as the guy I want out there making calls on the field.

Maybe they go one step further and move him outside and let McDuffie, Wilson or Cooper play inside.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here is what 2 Scouts said before the drat about Quay. Starting to ring true.

NFC scout: “I didn’t see much there. All those other guys (at Georgia) go 100 miles an hour. He looks like he’s going about 60. Not a great athlete. Not very physical. Not very productive. He moved around to different spots. They used him (to cover) but I don’t think he’s very good. He’s very similar to Lorenzo Carter (Giants) who came out of there a few years ago (2018). Something’s missing with him.”

AFC scout: “He probably wouldn’t wear the green dot.”

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Duds:

Quay did have a rough day, but really the whole linebacker unit wasn't great Sunday.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Stud: Willis and the first half running game.

Dud: The D. Sure they got 3 INTs, but turnovers are never predictable. They're not going to get 3 picks every game. The opposing WRs also aren't going to be falling down and dropping passes every game.
Rewatching the game, I kind of forgot about those drops. The Colts had a couple key drops that cost them first downs and forced them to punt. And I agree, that's not happening every game. On top of it, they were not drops forced by the defense. They were wide open flubs by the WRs.

Members online