Studs & Duds - Indianapolis

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: Willis and the first half running game.

Dud: The D. Sure they got 3 INTs, but turnovers are never predictable. They're not going to get 3 picks every game. The opposing WRs also aren't going to be falling down and dropping passes every game.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The propensity for Gary to disappear in games is alarming for a guy making 25 million per year. He won't get sacks every week but you need to be in the backfield and disrupt. Excuses are running out for him.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B

Dud: The D. Sure they got 3 INTs, but turnovers are never predictable. They're not going to get 3 picks every game. The opposing WRs also aren't going to be falling down and dropping passes every game.
Besides Xavier and Wyatt, I think the rest of the defense was poor. The run defense is a real problem. I'm getting worried that the d line is underperforming to the point where it could be a season long liability. Not much production so far from Gary, LVN and Clark for a very large investment. If the offense hadn't had the ball for 40 minutes, the run states would've been even worse.

Reaction score

?? Disagree.
Those INT were NOT lucky.
I watched that game 2X and that was largely a combo of our LB or DL applying pocket pressure. The final one is the only one where you could even say that, because it was a team effort to control the ball. Yet didn’t we hold them to 10 points? That D performance + O purposeful churning of the game clock indirectly forced that Hail Mary. Thats 5 logged INT in 2 contests. Those guys deserve at minimum an A- for that show today. The - only for not closing out a dominant performance earlier.

Not to mention we had 2-3 more that were arguably INT worthy. Last week Nixon and J’aire both dropped passes that hit their hands. This week Walker had one that literally hit his face. Popped up and was caught by Alec Pierce. THAT was lucky

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
?? Disagree.
Those INT were NOT lucky.
I watched that game 2X and that was largely a combo of our LB or DL applying pocket pressure. The final one is the only one where you could even say that, because it was a team effort to control the ball. Yet didn’t we hold them to 10 points? That D performance indirectly forced that Hail Mary. Thats 5 logged INT in 2 contests. Those guys deserve at minimum an A- for that show today.

Not to mention we had 2-3 more that were arguably INT worthy. Last week Nixon and J’aire both dropped passes that hit their hands. This week Walker had one that literally hit his face. Popped up and was caught by Alec Pierce

As far as falling down and dropping passes. That happens to both teams from week to week. If you recall last week it was GB.

Wait what??? How does pocket pressure happen when so much suck is happening on the front seven as some are telling us?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B

Besides Xavier and Wyatt, I think the rest of the defense was poor. The run defense is a real problem. I'm getting worried that the d line is underperforming to the point where it could be a season long liability. Not much production so far from Gary, LVN and Clark for a very large investment. If the offense hadn't had the ball for 40 minutes, the run states would've been even worse.

I’m sorry but I must be in the wrong game thread. What game are we talking about?

Reaction score
I’m sorry but I must be in the wrong game thread. What game are we talking about?
IdK. But we dialed up quite a few Blatz packages I noticed. That did allow a few more Big runs up the gut, but I think ultimately it was a trade off. Richardson was not comfortable at all. Last week it was more contain, this week more balanced.
17/34 (50%)
204 yards
1 TD 3 INT
41.8% Passer (not QB passer!)

Lots of Defenders stepped up. Xavier McKinney was a total Stud that guy. In 2nd replay McDuff gets honorable mention. Great hustle. Pretty good pick there in what Rd5?

Last edited:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs - Willis stayed with the game plan. Didn't try to do too much, no turnovers. 12-14, 122 YDS, 1 TD, 1st NFL win as a starter.
Pass Defense - 3 Interceptions
1st half Running game

Duds - Josh Myers, twice penalized for being illegally downfield.
Run Defense - 7.8 yds/att
2nd Half running game
Did Myers get sick? I heard he vomited on the field....?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
B

1st two games were against QBs renowned for their running ability. A controlled collapsing the pocket but staying in their lane is what I'd expect. My one question is why did KC97 drop into coverage on the 4th qtr scramble on their TD drive? He was the one that didn't quite have the speed to push Richardson out a few yards sooner.

Reaction score
Did Myers get sick? I heard he vomited on the field....?
I feel bad for talking about Myers. I think he played through some pain there si he deserved some offset to those 2 flags. He literally vomited onto the ball pre snap. Thats why Malik didn’t throw it with time running out in 3rd down. True story per MLF post game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs - Willis stayed with the game plan. Didn't try to do too much, no turnovers. 12-14, 122 YDS, 1 TD, 1st NFL win as a starter.
Pass Defense - 3 Interceptions
1st half Running game

Duds - Josh Myers, twice penalized for being illegally downfield.
Run Defense - 7.8 yds/att
2nd Half running game
I don't like the down field flag..I wasn't able to watch the game but listened Wayne and Larry.

But I do know the line man have a internal clock and are suppose to time their release if engaged at a certain point.

I like to see the reply of those if possible

It could be a couple of factors and not just a mental lapse

Reaction score
They had zero sacks, no forced fumbles and few if any tackles for loss. That's not getting done. The Colts averaged 7.8 yards per rush. That hurts! What game did you watch?
?? Wyatt got a sack 2 TFL and 2 QB hits. Wilson/Mckinney combined for 1 TFL and LVN had smothering TFL. McDuffie had a QB hit also.

I will say Gary and Enagbare did not have a good day in general. Yet we’re talking about one of the better Running teams and we welcomed them to run. That was our plan to speed this clock up.

In the first 30 minutes (HALF) the Colts had 5 rushes for 39 yards. This resulted in
Punt
INT #1
Punt
Punt

During the 3rd/4th QTR these are the Colts next 4 possessions
Turnover on Downs
FG
Missed FG
INT #2

In those above sequences combined that resulted in
3 Defensive Turnovers
3 Punts
1 FG
1 missed FG
THAT is what resulted in 14 runs for 104 yards rushing.

The final 4 runs of 36 yards started at 2:06 on the game clock when the entire objective is to let them run. It did result in a TD inside the 2 minute warning. It also resulted in eating precious time and using 2 Timeouts

104 yards of rushing across the first 8 drives resulted in exactly.. 3 points. Thats 13 yards rushing “per Drive” across a hair shy of 58 minutes of a 60 minute gameclock.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean shouldn't it be obvious the last two weeks the pass rush has mostly been concerned with staying in their rush lanes and NOT simply pinning their ears back?

After years of running QBs gash us on D you'd think more people wouldn't jump to "mo sack mo betta and they no sack so they bad"

Reaction score
I just think it was a remarkable performance overall. The key to winning is mitigating opponent points scored. How you get there idc. Last week our Offense spotted the Eagles the ball immediately after change of possession at our 24 yard line and it resulted in a TD. Other than that our D played ok considering the Eagles are a Playoff caliber Offense (top 7 rated last season)

This week we played an Indy team that just last year was Offensively:
13th Yards
11th in TD’s
10th in Scoring

We just manhandled them. We handed the Colts almost the exact same Time of Possession as the Texans did last week (20 minutes). The Texans held Indy to 27 points. The Packers held Indy to 10 points

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Overall the back 8 on Defense. Yes there were a couple issues in the linebacking corps but let's be honest when you're playing McDuffie you're gonna have that, and even HE had a play or two that stood out on the positive side today.

Duds: Josh Myers....TWO ineligible downfields, AND he allegedly puked on the football during the game.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you mean 2018 2nd rd draft pick Josh Jackson?

As a decent coach once said
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Which they did. They didn't play to win a different one.

Yeah this will happen a lot when the QB double pumps before passing the ball on a screen.
I think it must be a point of emphasis by the officials as well. I'm seeing it called in other games as well. They are watching screens closely it seems.