Have faith in MLF's O

Status
Not open for further replies.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think that while it looks like nothing is working in the passing game, they're very close to a turning point.
I felt before the season it would take 5 games before our offense started to gel. It is expected when you replace many of your weapons with new potential weapons, particularly first and second year players. Of course that does not mean you go out and lose 5 in a row. You find other ways to win.

Reaction score
I felt before the season it would take 5 games before our offense started to gel. It is expected when you replace many of your weapons with new potential weapons, particularly first and second year players. Of course that does not mean you go out and lose 5 in a row. You find other ways to win.
We’re actually fortunate to be 3-2. The positive thing is that the further we get into the season with a winning record the better our chances.
I would also anticipate a game coming up here in the next couple weeks that we put up 30 points.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hornung had Taylor. Unless you have a powerful O Line and TE's teams will stack and stop you.
A little apples-to-oranges there. In those days, a FB was a primary ball carrier. Taylor had more yards that Hornung.

Taylor finished his carrier at 4.4 ypc, 97 yards per game, 1941 total carries.

Hornung finished his carrier at 4.2 ypc, 49 yards per game, 893 total carries.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We’re actually fortunate to be 3-2. The positive thing is that the further we get into the season with a winning record the better our chances.
I would also anticipate a game coming up here in the next couple weeks that we put up 30 points.
We have to sooner or later. Even if we lose 38-35. I figured we would be 3-2 now albeit lucky. Should have lost to Tampa but should have beaten the Giants. If we are to get a 10 or 11 win season we will need more of that luck.

Reaction score
We have to sooner or later. Even if we lose 38-35. I figured we would be 3-2 now albeit lucky. Should have lost to Tampa but should have beaten the Giants. If we are to get a 10 or 11 win season we will need more of that luck.
The importance of the Jets game isnt so much that it’s our Superbowl on the line and it is more it buys us valuable time by providing us a time cushion.

I’m hoping that Sammy gets back into the rotation in 2 weeks. Until proven otherwise he’s probably our 2nd or 3rd best WR right now. Only Allen Lazard (missed week 1) saw more initial snaps by Week 2. Doubs snaps weren’t significantly ramped up until Sammy went down (55 snaps in week 3).

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people are blaming too much on the coach and QB when it's a personnel issue. For another example, just look at how amazing the Bucs offense looked when their 3 starting receivers were all missing time. Minus their top 3 receivers, the Bucs receiving group is fairly comparable to the Packers optimal unit at the moment. It's not coaching, it's not scheme, it's the fact that the receiving options the Packers have are so limited that the entire passing portion of the playbook is a crapshoot based on whether a receiver is going to make a rare play on the ball. Gute's choices in the 2020 draft have crippled this offense and it's going to take time to overcome those choices. Love was a terrible pick, Dillon is proving why a 2nd round pick on a running back is bad value, and do I really need to defend spending a 3rd round pick on a FB/TE hybrid?

MLF is a very good offensive coach. Rodgers is a very good QB. There is not a single player on the team who is a reliable threat to make a play more than 10 yards downfield unless MLF schemes something open to get a guy wide open for a reception.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It wasn't luck that caused us to win in Tampa. That was a stellar defensive performance.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the luck part was the T.B injuries and the Evans suspension. IMO.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't luck that caused us to win in Tampa. That was a stellar defensive performance.
Yes it was. But we caught the Bucs more shorthanded than ourselves. And a delay of game penalty on a 2 point conversion by a HOFer is as big a Christmas present as we could have Santa bring.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little apples-to-oranges there. In those days, a FB was a primary ball carrier. Taylor had more yards that Hornung.

Taylor finished his carrier at 4.4 ypc, 97 yards per game, 1941 total carries.

Hornung finished his carrier at 4.2 ypc, 49 yards per game, 893 total carries.
And Hornung was always considered an excellent blocker

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF is a very good offensive coach. Rodgers is a very good QB. There is not a single player on the team who is a reliable threat to make a play more than 10 yards downfield unless MLF schemes something open to get a guy wide open for a reception.
I was watching NFL Network when Baldy and the Seattle ex fullback were on. They showed two instances where we had rookies pretty much wide open and Rodgers did not run through his progressions. He only focused on Cobb. And Cobb was covered. This trust **** is so imbedded in his mind that he does not give players a chance.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was watching NFL Network when Baldy and the Seattle ex fullback were on. They showed two instances where we had rookies pretty much wide open and Rodgers did not run through his progressions. He only focused on Cobb. And Cobb was covered. This trust **** is so imbedded in his mind that he does not give players a chance.
Replace cobb with adams and could been last year

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did they also show the many times they’ve run incorrect routes or almost run into each other? Rodgers has been off but i don’t think he forgot how to QB in the off-season. When given the choice of A) Best QB ever forgot how to QB or B) late round rookie receiver didn’t run great route I’m going to go with B every time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Que all rodgers apologiziest to say it was wr fault for running wrong route

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is true. The FB position evolved more into a blocking back in the decades ahead. Nevertheless, the versatility of each was vital inside the 10 yard line. Incidentally, it was Jim Taylor who threw the crashing block on MLB Butkus at the goal for 6 points on Paul Hornung's final touchdown of his career in 1966.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers has targeted Doubs more often than any other player this season. It's pure ignorance to proclaim he's just looking Cobb's way because he doesn't trust any players who haven't been around for years.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has targeted Doubs more often than any other player this season. It's pure ignorance to proclaim he's just looking Cobb's way because he doesn't trust any players who haven't been around for years.
but the media has found gold in keeping minds and eyeballs engaged. They're never going to quit. and most times the brains attached to those engaged eyeballs can't figure it out. Media tells the story, they don't report the story anymore.

"oh my gosh, this QB only targets his WR friend on this important 3rd down and not the new guy that hasn't proven much of anything in big moments, he's hurting his team"

meanwhile every other QB in the league, "look at how Stafford/brady/Allen/Mahomes, etc, etc goes to his veteran player in the big moment, great job"

Nobody cares that's he's targeted a rookie more than anybody else on the team this year, because after reviewing a game they found 2 plays he went to someone else and they didn't work, so he won't look for other players, duh. Get with the narrative.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
And Taylor was not considered much as a blocker. I've heard players mention that he lacked interest in blocking because he wouldn't gain personally from it.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, there is a reason that Packer media refers to 3rd down now as " 3rd and Cobb. " And I think even the best QBs in the back of their mind look to that one target. But he should go through the progressions.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In those two plays 3 players were wide open and Cobb was not. And Rodgers did not look over the field and he had time. Ignorant? OK. I try and see what is best for the team. I don't just blindly say well Rodgers is really good and the proof is that he won a super bowl and hasn't thrown a lot of interceptions. Rodgers needs to be looking around more and actually almost all the time. Sometimes I think he is being passive/aggressive. I really don't care how he feels. He should be throwing to the open receiver. It is not all about timing plays. Watch the way Brady surveys the field to look for the open man.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, there is a reason that Packer media refers to 3rd down now as " 3rd and Cobb. " And I think even the best QBs in the back of their mind look to that one target. But he should go through the progressions.
That is weird. My eye test, memory seems to think Lazard is the favored 3rd down target. Or maybe he is just my favorite 3rd down target. Hoping Captain has time after therapy and comes up with some of those annoying stats on targets per WR on 3rd down and 3rd down conversions per WR.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I haven't heard anybody in the media mentioning something like that it should serve as evidence that you shouldn't believe everything said.

Rodgers has targeted Cobb on only seven of 43 attempts on third down. That ranks second on the team behind Lazard with 10 and just ahead of Doubs and Jones with six.

In addition there's nothing wrong about Rodgers looking for Cobb on third down as he has a passer rating of 148.9 in those situations since the start of last season (highest in the NFL).

In those two plays 3 players were wide open and Cobb was not. And Rodgers did not look over the field and he had time. Ignorant? OK. I try and see what is best for the team. I don't just blindly say well Rodgers is really good and the proof is that he won a super bowl and hasn't thrown a lot of interceptions. Rodgers needs to be looking around more and actually almost all the time. Sometimes I think he is being passive/aggressive. I really don't care how he feels. He should be throwing to the open receiver. It is not all about timing plays. Watch the way Brady surveys the field to look for the open man.

It's easy to pick some random plays and conclude that Rodgers isn't going through his progressions. I took a look at all of his incompletions when targeting Cobb against the Giants and was able to come up with a single play on which it would have been smarter to throw the ball to someone else. That happens to every other quarterback in the league as well though.

Nobody is suggesting Rodgers is perfect by any means. There's no doubt in my mind that he needs to play better this season for the offense to work.

I'm getting tired of Packers' fans acting as if he's a terrible player, being the only reason the unit is struggling when in reality he's an elite player surrounded by a below average supporting cast.

As a side note, when taking a look at Rodgers' incompletions to Cobb I took a look at the fourth down play on the Packers last drive which was tipped by a Giants defender. Somehow the Packers managed to leave not one but two defenders rushing the passer unblocked coming from the side Rodgers was targeting Lazard at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.