Free Agent Signings for Packers or Elsewhere...

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry missed 5 games the past 3 seasons.
Perry graded out as the best run stopping Olb in football last year
Perry lead the team in sacks

We don't know the money yet but it doesn't matter if he was once considered a bust because he isn't one anymore

Perry played 6 games in 2012, 11 in 2013, 15 in 2014, then missed two games the last two years. He's never had more than 4 sacks in a season before last year. I want to see the numbers, but if we paid him around $12 million a year, it's too much.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry played 6 games in 2012, 11 in 2013, 15 in 2014, then missed two games the last two years. He's never had more than 4 sacks in a season before last year. I want to see the numbers, but if we paid him around $12 million a year, it's too much.

Sacks are only part of the story. Being the best run stopping Olb is important too

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always liked Hyde too, because he's a football player, but in the grand scheme of things, he's not worth a big contract either. To me, he's great for depth and #3 or so DB or safety. He's versatile and adequate at least, but he's not worth a big contract either

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a js piece on signing perry

In the meantime, it is looking less and less likely they'll pay up for guard T.J. Lang. Several sources familiar with his situation said they doubted whether the Packers would pay the price it will cost to keep him. It's possible they could change their minds at the last minute and pay what Lang is asking, but time is running out on them.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...nick-perry-close-re-signing-packers/98944480/

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Eagles have released Connor Barwin.

I just saw that. There was talk about the Packers and Barwin if he became available and wondering if his availability will have any bearing on closing the deal with Perry. Perry is probably the better player, but a lot more expensive! I would be interested in Barwin either way.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, I think even with Perry, there's a place for Barwin. At the right price of course :)

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree, I think even with Perry, there's a place for Barwin. At the right price of course :)

People will point to Barwin's numbers being "down" last year, but the Eagles switched to a 4-3 and Barwin is better suited to play in a 3-4. There was even talk of trading for Barwin, now he is "free" and no loss of a compensatory pick, as well as being able to negotiate a new contract with him.

Get Busy TT.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...ase-or-trade-pass-rush-3-4-outside-linebacker

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Restructure Matthews and play him at ilb/olb and sign barwin. You could be set up fairly well at lb. Now could they do that and resign lang cook and cb? Probably unlikely

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
At this point I don't think the Packers are going to land one of the top FA CB's. Will TT "settle" and go after Prince Amukamara or Davon House (or both)? I would take that over doing absolutely nothing to address a position of great need.

If they would sign both, the Loss of Hyde could be negated by moving Rollins into his position.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
At this point I don't think the Packers are going to land one of the top FA CB's. Will TT "settle" and go after Prince Amukamara or Davon House (or both)? I would take that over doing absolutely nothing to address a position of great need.

If they would sign both, the Loss of Hyde could be negated by moving Rollins into his position.
Unfortunately I have absolutely zero faith that Thompson will address cornerback in free agency, although I hope that I am very, very wrong about that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Barwin would be a nice guy to bring in as a compliment to Perry and mentor to Fackrell. Wouldn't impact comp picks either. I'd be in favor. 2 years 12M?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have absolutely zero faith that Thompson will address cornerback in free agency, although I hope that I am very, very wrong about that.

Will be interesting for sure. From a fans view it's a no brainer, a #1 CB is needed. But something TT said during an interview before the combine made me step back and think that TT believes that the poor CB play was more due to injuries than talent. If that is his and the coaching staffs belief, than TT may very well do nothing.

My guess is once Hyde is gone, TT will go after guys like House or Prince A. and Rollins will be used to replace what Hyde was doing in the secondary.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To the bench where he belongs would be great.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Barwin would be a nice guy to bring in as a compliment to Perry and mentor to Fackrell. Wouldn't impact comp picks either. I'd be in favor. 2 years 12M?

I agree. As well as closing the door on Peppers and probably Jones AND removing the immediate need on using our #1 on an OLB. It's also a move that would bode well for beyond next year, if Clay continues to underwhelm, the Packers will shed themselves of the remainder of his contract after this coming season, without taking such a big cap hit.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not expecting a big name FA CB. maybe someone like House. It depends on what happens with Lang and Cook I think. It will dictate money to be spent and plans moving forward. I think the backfield was greatly affected by injury last season too. Those guys have a lot more talent than they showed last year.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
i'm not expecting a big name FA CB. maybe someone like House. It depends on what happens with Lang and Cook I think. It will dictate money to be spent and plans moving forward. I think the backfield was greatly affected by injury last season too. Those guys have a lot more talent than they showed last year.

From the sounds of it, you may be in TT's mindset on this. As a fan, it would be a big leap of faith to trust that kind of mindset though, after watching those CB's last season.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Are you kidding? I'd be ecstatic if we signed both Prince and House. That would definitely beef up the secondary. Add another pass rusher in the draft with a corner and possibly a DL, we're set.

Members online

No members online now.