Brown traded to Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking only for myself, I would trade for AB in a heartbeat at his current age and under his current contract, if those were the only 2 variables that mattered. The factors against making that move and have been discussed over and over, have nothing to do with his age. Those factors are also the reason the Steelers are getting rid of a guy that is one of the best WR's in the game, a fan favorite and playing on a very favorable contract and probably doing so at a major cost to their organization in money and talent.
Exactly, age and contract make this almost a no brainer of a deal. But there are more factors at play and the only reason this contract is favorable to a trading partner is because the Steelers are eating 20+ million of that they already paid. and one has to take into account Brown appears to be looking for more anyway, so how favorable is his contract for a player of his caliber? I guess that's yet to TBD'd

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not sure how good of an analogy this is, but imagine if Aaron Rodgers suddenly went "Full Metal Antonio Brown" on the Packers. Became such a distraction that the Packers didn't want him anymore. Would you be a team wanting to trade for him, even if Rodgers said "oh I am going to want some guarantees with my new team"?

D

Deleted member 6794

Considering when we signed him and how old he was at the time (around 31-32) based on how "old" that is according to some of you, hell yeah that's a risk. If you really want to get technical about signing any FA is a risk. If I'm not mistaken you, some of you expressed that same concern when we signed Peppers, at the time we did. B/c he was up there in age, and yet he played relatively well.

And considering how some of you guys are expressing concern with AB regarding his age 30 and yet he is arguably one of the best in his position if not the best, I was trying to make that point.

There's absolutely no doubt that the risk of signing of White was significantly lower than trading for Brown would be.

Not sure how good of an analogy this is, but imagine if Aaron Rodgers suddenly went "Full Metal Antonio Brown" on the Packers. Became such a distraction that the Packers didn't want him anymore. Would you be a team wanting to trade for him, even if Rodgers said "oh I am going to want some guarantees with my new team"?

I'm convinced teams would still be interested in trading for a franchise quarterback. There will also be teams inquiring about Brown this offseason.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm convinced teams would still be interested in trading for a franchise quarterback. There will also be teams inquiring about Brown this offseason.

Certainly will be teams inquiring about Brown, but the comparison between a franchise QB to an elite WR is silly. an elite WR is not going to make the Packers a super bowl contending team. But you throw Rodgers on the Jags, possibly even the Browns with their talent and that franchise is a legit threat. So you are 100% correct, a team will be 100% interested because that position alone can put you over the hump.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly will be teams inquiring about Brown, but the comparison between a franchise QB to an elite WR is silly. an elite WR is not going to make the Packers a super bowl contending team. But you throw Rodgers on the Jags, possibly even the Browns with their talent and that franchise is a legit threat. So you are 100% correct, a team will be 100% interested because that position alone can put you over the hump.
I beg to differ. You add Brown on one side and Adams to another side and with MVS coming into his own along with the other rookies from this year, and Graham being a red zone threat, you go to having one of the deadliest receiving corps in the league in one fell swoop. Also two headed monster in Jones/Williams. I'd say we'd be right back in the hunt. So I disagree with the addition of an elite WR would make us a contending team as I still see this team as contenders.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

To put it in perspective, the Packers were able to only get a 3rd round pick for Brett Favre. I consider the Favre situation a lot less riskier than the Brown one. My point was that if Rodgers became as big of a headache as Brown has become for the Steelers, not so sure there would be a lot of teams lining up to take that on or if there were, pay much to do it.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Khalil Mack is worth that. Did you not watch the Bears last year? I'm assuming you didn't.

I did. And now I see q team that capped out and is going to need to continue to force 3+ turnovers a game the next few years to sustain what they did last year

(Not very likely)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-_-

Considering when we signed him and how old he was at the time (around 31-32) based on how "old" that is according to some of you, hell yeah that's a risk. If you really want to get technical about signing any FA is a risk. If I'm not mistaken you, some of you expressed that same concern when we signed Peppers, at the time we did. B/c he was up there in age, and yet he played relatively well.

And considering how some of you guys are expressing concern with AB regarding his age 30 and yet he is arguably one of the best in his position if not the best, I was trying to make that point.

Aside from his character problems.
As has been pointed out already .... no it was not a risk. The money is the only thing that would have been lost and there was no cap so no consequence. just because there is no guarantee that he would have still been the great player that he was does not make it a risk. On the other Hand signing an older player to a big contract now carries quite a bit of risk because of the salary cap.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-_-

Aside from his character problems.

I mean that's pretty much the entire crux of the matter and why the Steelers are going to trade him in the first place

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The newest mock at cbs sports has us trading #30 for Brown. They have us taking Ed Oliver at #12.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
For what it is worth. In my part of the country we are constantly bombarded with Steeler news and commentary. There has been considerable disfunction in the locker room for several years now. I'm like the others who would be very very cautious about signing a guy who raises a ruckus just when the playoffs are close. But Brown is only venting the discontent that others have within the organization.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well - there are the people that amplify the problems and those that seek to be the problem solvers. Brown does not seem to be the latter.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I beg to differ. You add Brown on one side and Adams to another side and with MVS coming into his own along with the other rookies from this year, and Graham being a red zone threat, you go to having one of the deadliest receiving corps in the league in one fell swoop. Also two headed monster in Jones/Williams. I'd say we'd be right back in the hunt. So I disagree with the addition of an elite WR would make us a contending team as I still see this team as contenders.

So now that you have looked at the most optimistic scenario of trading for Brown, should we look at all of the possible pessimistic scenarios of the trade? ;)

I understand why people are excited about the possibility of AB on the Packers, I mean what team wouldn't want a WR of his caliber....I mean besides the Steelers? :whistling:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I'd post this hear since this is relevant to this topic. And when you listen to him he does make some good points, especially with the Brady/Moss thing.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, the Steelers had better players surronding Brown than the Packers currently have yet it wasn't enough to make them a contender last season.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, the Steelers had better players surronding Brown than the Packers currently have yet it wasn't enough to make them a contender last season.
The Steelers imploded from the inside. It all started with Bell, and then it dragged on throughout the season. Plus they lost games they easily should've won, plus this is just me but Big Ben is a decent qb but he's not a QB like Rodgers when healthy.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The newest mock at cbs sports has us trading #30 for Brown. They have us taking Ed Oliver at #12.

I love Oliver if he falls to 12 but not sure how you pass on White for him at 12. If we trade #30 for Brown I'm going to be sooooo pissed.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Steelers imploded from the inside. It all started with Bell, and then it dragged on throughout the season. Plus they lost games they easily should've won, plus this is just me but Big Ben is a decent qb but he's not a QB like Rodgers when healthy.
I agree with most of that. I still don’t think Brown would be a good risk for the Packers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I'd post this hear since this is relevant to this topic. And when you listen to him he does make some good points, especially with the Brady/Moss thing.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I think its funny how he starts the broadcast talking about a player who perhaps is the one who most wants to leave his team and ends up talking about how players don't want to leave.

Reactions: Do7

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I love how all these talking heads are pitching Brown as a perfect fit for the Packers, yet don't bother to talk about the potential negatives of such a deal. In a complete bubble, AB could potentially improve any team.

Reaction score
Yeah, Khalil Mack is worth that. Did you not watch the Bears last year? I'm assuming you didn't.
IMO we won’t know the true answer to the Khalil move until after another season or two. It’s a Cap vs Production argument and we’re early in the results of one side of a two sided equation.
We’re about to find out how the Chicago Cap comes into play over the next couple of years. Will Chicago improve? Will Chicago regress?
Will Mack improve? Will Mack regress?

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IMO we won’t know the true answer to the Khalil move until after another season or two. It’s a Cap vs Production argument and we’re early in the results of one side of a two sided equation.
We’re about to find out how the Chicago Cap comes into play over the next couple of years. Will Chicago improve? Will Chicago regress?
Will Mack improve? Will Mack regress?

While I agree with all of this, I would add 2 things. First, we probably will never know what it would have taken for the Packers to trade for Mack. Second, we will never know how Mack would have played as a Packer. The Bears had a very solid defense before they got Mack, not sure Mack has quite the same level of impact as a Packer.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with all of this, I would add 2 things. First, we probably will never know what it would have taken for the Packers to trade for Mack. Second, will never know how Mack would have played as a Packer. The Bears had a very solid defense before they got Mack, not sure Mack has quite the same level of impact as a Packer.

Dollars to donuts Mack would be great anywhere.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with all of this, I would add 2 things. First, we probably will never know what it would have taken for the Packers to trade for Mack. Second, will never know how Mack would have played as a Packer. The Bears had a very solid defense before they got Mack, not sure Mack has quite the same level of impact as a Packer.
I disagree completely. Mack would've boosted our defense significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online