Brown traded to Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said players and coaches, just to clarify.

To respond...you're kidding, right? You really wanna say he's never publicly called out teammates? There was the practice this past fall, there was the game with the squirrel a couple years ago...and then there's his general attitude on the field whenever somebody makes a mistake. I love Rodgers, but he does this plenty.
I don't ever recall Rodgers going on to the podium after the game blaming a player for doing something wrong as to why they lost a game or anything like that during interviews and whatnot. Now if you're referring to when he was ASKED by the media in giving an assessment of where the team was, that's completely different from calling a player out.

I feel this calling the players out is blown way out of proportion. Giving an honest assessment when asked isn't the same as "calling someone out".

What Big Ben did in the lost against Denver at the podium and saying how AB ran the wrong route is calling a player out. Rodgers has never done that to an individual.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't ever recall Rodgers going on to the podium after the game blaming a player for doing something wrong as to why they lost a game or anything like that during interviews and whatnot. Now if you're referring to when he was ASKED by the media in giving an assessment of where the team was, that's completely different from calling a player out.

I feel this calling the players out is blown way out of proportion. Giving an honest assessment when asked isn't the same as "calling someone out".

What Big Ben did in the lost against Denver at the podium and saying how AB ran the wrong route is calling a player out. Rodgers has never done that to an individual.
Hard to take this seriously.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I too do not recall Rodgers ever singling out an individual player, by name, like Big Ben did. That being said, if AB has issues with Ben, I could see an incident occurring down the line with a guy like A-Rodg. AB is a headcase and it's going to take a lot to keep him from exploding.

And Rodgers has been known to rub some players the wrong way.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I get that.

What I'm saying, is that if Brown didn't like Big Ben criticizing teammates and coaches, then he will most likely have the same issue with Rodgers.

Do you see why that could be an issue?

Yes, as i've posted there is risk but there is even more risk that the Packers cannot replace a player such as Brown in the draft with Rodgers nearing the end of his career.

This move would allow certain subsequent moves as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Lets just give the Steelers our #12 pick for Brown, redo his contract so that he will play and is the top paid WR in the NFL while doing so, move Davante to the #2 WR, rework the offense to be centered around AB and Super Bowl here we come! :rolleyes:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or perhaps a simpler offense results in a guy or 2 taking off in year 1 or 2. It's not exactly unheard of and without 3 entrenched guys ahead of them, the way is open for someone to jump ahead without having to beat out Jordy, Cobb or Driver.

regardless of how great Rodgers is or isn't. we need a better team around him. I've seen armless QB's win a super bowl, the better team we have around him, the better chances we have. I'd rather grow a team than try and buy one for this year.

I tend to be an optimist on these things. I think the team can handle Brown's personality. Some seem to think that the Packers can't control him and that he'll tear the team apart (which is exceedingly rare in the NFL). History says that great players help teams win, despite any media/fan driven concerns about locker room chemistry. Yes, the team needs to be better. I just happen to think that having two top-10 WRs is great for the team.

Good news is that, much like the Khalil Mack situation, all those against the signing will be able to to see how he performs next year and we'll discover if he would have been worth it or if those arguing for the trade were wrong. The Mack trade, even if it cost the team a first-round pick, obviously would have been worth it (heck, had the Packers given up a first AND second it would have been worth it). That's the fun part of this whole discussion.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets just give the Steelers our #12 pick for Brown, redo his contract so that he will play and is the top paid WR in the NFL while doing so, move Davante to the #2 WR, rework the offense to be centered around AB and Super Bowl here we come! :rolleyes:

No, I don't think that's a good idea at all. But I too enjoy building strawmen!

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to take this seriously.
Why? Because you distinguish which is which? I'm gonna humor you.

So let me get this straight, when Rodgers was asked how the young receivers are looking in the preseason and basically said they needed to improve, in which they are battle for a roster spot, that's calling out players. Hmm...Got it. So I guess he should've gave some bs answer right? Good lord what is this? Kindergarten? I guess we should give these players pacifiers and bibs as well right?

And that's equivalent to Big Ben saying how AB ran the wrong route as to why they lost a game on that int Big Ben...In other words it's AB's fault that Big Ben threw that int and lost the game?

It's hard to take people seriously when they can't distinguish between the two. It's really not that hard. Rodgers never singled a player out in a defeat on the podium. To say what Rodgers did in regards to giving his assessment about where the receivers were, that were fighting for a roster spot in the preseason when asked and comparing it to Big Ben blaming AB for his bone headed game losing int is asinine.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No, I don't think that's a good idea at all. But I too enjoy building strawmen!

True or False:
  1. Steelers want a first rounder for AB?
  2. AB has called himself the best WR in the NFL?
  3. AB has already said that he won't play unless he gets a new contract?
  4. AB was frustrated that he wasn't getting enough balls his way?
Now tell me where that strawman is?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to be an optimist on these things. I think the team can handle Brown's personality. Some seem to think that the Packers can't control him and that he'll tear the team apart (which is exceedingly rare in the NFL). History says that great players help teams win, despite any media/fan driven concerns about locker room chemistry. Yes, the team needs to be better. I just happen to think that having two top-10 WRs is great for the team.

Good news is that, much like the Khalil Mack situation, all those against the signing will be able to to see how he performs next year and we'll discover if he would have been worth it or if those arguing for the trade were wrong. The Mack trade, even if it cost the team a first-round pick, obviously would have been worth it (heck, had the Packers given up a first AND second it would have been worth it). That's the fun part of this whole discussion.
Sure it would have LOL. We'd have won nothing last year and be cutting guys to get under the cap this year and be out 1st and 2nd round draft picks LOL BRILLIANT

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly from listening to some people on here, why don't we just trade Rodgers for AB and some other players and draft picks. Since he is such a headcase.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, as i've posted there is risk but there is even more risk that the Packers cannot replace a player such as Brown in the draft with Rodgers nearing the end of his career.

This move would allow certain subsequent moves as well.

We've never had AB, thus, we don't need to replace him in the draft. Can't replace what you didn't have. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Mack trade, even if it cost the team a first-round pick, obviously would have been worth it (heck, had the Packers given up a first AND second it would have been worth it). That's the fun part of this whole discussion.

LOL....and you bust my chops for creating a Strawman? Do you know what the Khalil Mack trade cost the Bears?

The Bears gave up first-round picks in 2019 and 2020, a third-round pick in 2020 and a sixth-round pick in 2019.

Also, at the time of the trade, the Bears first round picks were considered more valuable than the 2 the Packers had for 2019.

Edit: I would be remiss if I didn't include this part of the Mack trade....."In return, the Bears also received a second-round pick in 2020 and a conditional fifth-round pick in 2020."

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
True or False:
  1. Steelers want a first rounder for AB?
  2. AB has called himself the best WR in the NFL?
  3. AB has already said that he won't play unless he gets a new contract?
  4. AB was frustrated that he wasn't getting enough balls his way?
Now tell me where that strawman is?

Listen. AB running his mouth is only helping us drive his price down. I hope it gets even crazier and we end up getting him for a 4th.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

See that’s the thing... We don’t even agree with the benefit of hindsight. Yes Mack played great... I don’t recall anyone thinking he wouldn’t. That does not mean making the trade would have been good for the Packers. One thing is certain though... this conversation about Brown would be moot because the Packers would have no money to sign anyone, nor would they have any first round draft picks this year or possibly next.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Listen. AB running his mouth is only helping us drive his price down. I hope it gets even crazier and we end up getting him for a 4th.
WE agree on AB running his mouth to the detriment of both him and the Steelers. I very much doubt the Steelers will get a 1st, but you never know how crazy or desperate some teams are. For those believing that Rooney and AB walked away from the meeting and "all is good", that is nothing but a PR job by both of them to try and repair the value of AB, that he himself has done nothing but destroy the past few months.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We've never had AB, thus, we don't need to replace him in the draft. Can't replace what you didn't have. ;)

Well then we can circle all the way back to the discussion as WR being a need on this team and having a legit no.2.

Doesn't get much better then having two no.1's. I really cant believe the excitement level of getting someone like Brown isn't going through the roof.

Everyone has been talking about "game changer this and game changer that"

This would be the ultimate "GAME CHANGER"

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well then we can circle all the way back to the discussion as WR being a need on this team and having a legit no.2.

Doesn't get much better then having two no.1's. I really cant believe the excitement level of getting someone like Brown isn't going through the roof.

Everyone has been talking about "game changer this and game changer that"

This would be the ultimate "GAME CHANGER"

*throws a carrot onto the trail* :whistling:

I would rather the Packers draft Parris Campbell than trade for AB.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See that’s the thing... We don’t even agree with the benefit of hindsight. Yes Mack played great... I don’t recall anyone thinking he wouldn’t. That does not mean making the trade would have been good for the Packers. One thing is certain though... this conversation about Brown would be moot because the Packers would have no money to sign anyone,he nor would they have any first round draft picks this year or possibly next.
Because first round picks always amount to success right? In all seriousness how well is our track record in first round picks?

Personally for the Mack deal, 1. I know I'm getting a bonafide rusher that's one of the best. He is also a leader on the defensive side, a hard worker, and I believe would've helped guys like Matthews and others. 2. I'd trade for him simply to prevent opposing division rivals from having him. I'd rather him play with us than against us personally. 3. Mack being a pass rusher would've helped the secondary as it would've forced the QB to get rid of the ball quicker. But I digress I've argued these points in the past.

I've said it before I'll say it again, it just baffles me how we've chastised Ted Thompson for sticking with his draft and develop, seeing how well that's done over the past few years, and now we're hesitant on taking chances whether it's trades for a bonafide player, or acquiring them through a different means. Which one is it?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? Because you distinguish which is which? I'm gonna humor you.

So let me get this straight, when Rodgers was asked how the young receivers are looking in the preseason and basically said they needed to improve, in which they are battle for a roster spot, that's calling out players. Hmm...Got it. So I guess he should've gave some bs answer right? Good lord what is this? Kindergarten? I guess we should give these players pacifiers and bibs as well right?

And that's equivalent to Big Ben saying how AB ran the wrong route as to why they lost a game on that int Big Ben...In other words it's AB's fault that Big Ben threw that int and lost the game?

It's hard to take people seriously when they can't distinguish between the two. It's really not that hard. Rodgers never singled a player out in a defeat on the podium. To say what Rodgers did in regards to giving his assessment about where the receivers were, that were fighting for a roster spot in the preseason when asked and comparing it to Big Ben blaming AB for his bone headed game losing int is asinine.
Oh I think most rational people can see a difference. I have to say though... Your constant defense of Rodgers whenever anyone says anything negative about him is eroding your credibility even when you are right. Personally, I actually like Rodgers. Not everything about him of course, but I think he is an intelligent and incredibly talented player. Most of the times he says all the right things, but I also think there is enough circumstantial evidence throughout the years to believe that there is some truth to the criticisms he has been given. I think many are probably exaggerated, but frankly I don’t really care all that much. I just want him to play as well as he has shown that he can. However, to get this back on topic, I do think there is a valid concern that he may have personality conflicts with Brown whether or not he calls him out in public.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've said it before I'll say it again, it just baffles me how we've chastised Ted Thompson for sticking with his draft and develop, seeing how well that's done over the past few years, and now we're hesitant on taking chances whether it's trades for a bonafide player, or acquiring them through a different means. Which one is it?

There isn't just "one" way of doing it. A team can still go after FA's to fill immediate needs and draft and develop to hopefully fill future needs. I don't think Thompson's system is a bad one, but where it falls apart is when you bust out on too many picks, which Thompson did the last several years. Nor do I think signing FA's is bad, but if you have Aaron Rodgers on your books and go out and sign the highest paid defensive player, that sure doesn't leave you much for the other 51+ players.

A healthy balance between the methods is what I like to see and some years you hit and some you don't, but the following year, you may have to double down on either FA's or drafting.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because first round picks always amount to success right?...

Perhaps not... but they also cost very little for the first 4 years you have them to find out and you always get that 5th year option if they do. Or we could have thrown away all those picks .... and bankrupt the team.. oh and Mack is definitely not a sure thing either... what if he blows out his knee this coming preseason?... guess what the Bears are still out the picks... and a lot of Money... he has already gotten that signing bonus and they will not be able to cut him. Personally... I’d rather spread the risk out among several good players on cheaper salaries. So far, I’m pretty happy with last year’s first round pick in Alexander.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plenty of players i'd pay and trade for in this league. I said I could maybe convinced of a 3rd for AB with a condition on playing time that would move it back or void it completely if he holds out.

and as I've said before, the Steelers were better all the way around on offense and brown didn't put them over the top did he? but you're going to guarantee it here? Sure he could, but AB isn't the only path to a super bowl for this team and i'm not sure he's even a likely path to one either.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
*throws a carrot onto the trail* :whistling:

I would rather the Packers draft Parris Campbell than trade for AB.

I'd prefer both but yes Campbell would provide some immediate things that he could do and was a team captain at OSU. Plus we would have him on the rookie contract with no fluffy coats, dyed mustache or helicopter rides to practice.;)

I could get down with Devante and MVS outside and Campbell in the slot. Graham as default at TE.

This would be contingent on rebuilding the right side of the OL of course.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd prefer both but yes Campbell would provide some immediate things that he could do and was a team captain at OSU. Plus we would have him on the rookie contract with no fluffy coats, dyed mustache or helicopter rides to practice.;)

I could get down with Devante and MVS outside and Campbell in the slot. Graham as default at TE.

This would be contingent on rebuilding the right side of the OL of course.
Now there is something I can get on board with lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.