Brown traded to Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admittedly flip flop with this candidate. One part of me sais he’s that dynamic and the attitude comes with the type personality. The other part of me sais.. he may very set a terrible precedent for the unforeseeable future with his ego.

I’m not afraid to talk with him, what he’s done in the past is the past. I’m going to make him aware that wherever he ends up he’ll need to change or his career is over and then he IS just a guy, and not even a nice one at that. I’d lay it on the line and tell him we want him but we can win with him or without him. I mean that too. If he’s offended it wasn’t meant to be.. if he respects me for telling the truth? He’s already changed. Welcome aboard.

I’m also not afraid to pay the man. But I’m 100% not afraid to walk away from a deal in a second. There’s a program and everybody needs to be on it. That’s what we pay you for, just ask Monty.

I 100% believe we can win without him. That makes a meeting with him real short and to the point. I’m not afraid to forgive him for his past and have a dignified conversation, but he needs to know he represents our entire organization and we’re not interested in him sinking our ship. He comes to play lights out and keep his tongue in check or he’s gone before the first practice.
He's making it clear he's not playing for his contract. So now you've traded for him, now what? he's holding out. You're going to give him a new one? How much? How far down this hole do you want him to take you, with the hope that a guy that has shown he is as selfish as they come, will abide by a new contract and play for the team? Because unlike Monty, he's going to be asking for guarantees and a lot of money. You think he's playing for 12 million? How big of a bonus are you giving him? How long? It might just be a deal you can't walk away from in a second, not without big ramifications to the rest of the team and cap.

He's just a WR. He wasn't even the most productive one on his team last year and he didn't take them to any Playoff game, let alone a Super Bowl. While he has nice stats, I'm sure he played a pretty good role in distracting that locker room. Anyone thinking that adding brown automatically means anything, just look at the Steelers. Look at that offense. ZERO reason for that offense to be home during the playoffs, yet they were. Our offense isn't as good, even with Rodgers and you think Brown is going to be the difference? He wasn't there and they have a better Oline, better RB's and much better WR's and TE's with a HOF QB. Yet our Lesser offense will make it because of Rodgers right?

I'll take my shot on drafting another Adams. I know when things get tough, and 70+ thousand are booing you and tens of thousands are calling in to sports radio and chiming in on every social media site and sports blog and forum about "cutting" you and your paddlehands, but you gut it out, thru injury and come back stronger. Give me that guy every ****ing day of the week. AB can go count his millions with all of his friends. Don't need that anywhere near me.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think this is where your disconnect from the situation occurs. Your assumption is that Brown will play like a HOF receiver, inside of a bubble. Football is a team sport, Brown will not be playing by himself and his actions influence the other 52 guys. If you don't understand the term "poison pill", than you will keep ignoring all the red flags and think this is only about "fluffy coats, dye his mustache, take helicopters to practice".

Also, if Brown's latest comments about the situation of only wanting to play on a Super Bowl contender and only for guaranteed money don't give you pause about the guy, nothing short of him being arrested for murder is going to change your opinion and not sure that even would.

Its just talk. He wants to put on a show and I don't care. I don't understand how were getting even close to "MURDER" here. I understand that football is a team sport as I played for 12 years but it is also a game within a game. Brown can win that game over and over and over so when you have a chance to get someone like that you explore all the options.

We keep getting back to the "RISK" and this is something Gute will feel good about or not after doing his due diligence and doing what OLD SCHOOL suggests which is picking up the phone and TALKING TO HIM.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if the Packers were to go completely against the perception of them and trade for an elite wr...i'd prefer they go for OBJ. he's an oddball but not a cancer. he's a good guy on and off the field.

Reaction score
I'll take my shot on drafting another Adams
That’s fine. Nothing at all wrong with that either. Then you need to be realistic with waiting at least 3 years +. Davante Adams wasn’t made overnight my friend. There’s no guarantee ANY receiver from college plays like Davante. Certainly not a bunch of day 3 prospects that didn’t even have enough sense to come back to the ball when their prize QB bought 8 + seconds to scramble. They largely gave up and that was clear to even the layman announcers.

If you think waiting until the top 3-4 receivers are offf the board to start sniffing at a Davante Adams you’re just plain out of touch. If we don’t pick receiver by pick #44 it’s nothing more than a reproduction Of Moore, Jmon
Are you willing to go round 1 at Receiver and stand by it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
And lets all quit pretending that IF. Big IF. AB would play he’s not going to play lights out with Aaron Rodgers and a pro Offense HC. . Show me 1 season he wouldn’t be our best receiver.

Not liking the guy is fine. Trying to portray him as an average WR is just trying to make excuses to support your position of not wanting him for other reasons.
What college draftee is a proven superstar in the NFL? AB is s multiple Probowl multiple accolades receiver that’s one of the top couple most consistent receivers in the NFL.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s fine. Nothing at all wrong with that either. Then you need to be realistic with waiting at least 3 years +. Davante Adams wasn’t made overnight my friend. There’s no guarantee ANY receiver from college plays like Davante. Certainly not a bunch of day 3 prospects that didn’t even have enough sense to come back to the ball when their prize QB bought 8 + seconds to scramble. They largely gave up and that was clear to even the layman announcers.

If you think waiting until the top 3-4 receivers are offf the board to start sniffing at a Davante Adams you’re just plain out of touch. If we don’t pick receiver by pick #44 it’s nothing more than a reproduction Of Moore, Jmon
am I? No, I think WR's in rounds 2,3 are easily as talented as any team would need in the NFL. I know Adams wasn't made in a day. Having an offense that may not be as complex might help a young guy out?

1 reason? He holds out because he doesn't want to play for 12 million or the remainder of his contract. Reason enough? and FYI, he's done it already in the past.

So How much are you paying him? length of contract? signing bonus, because he's telling you right now, he's NOT playing for his current contract.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

This is so true and why I wanted them to draft a receiver two years ago(Sutton last year) and here we are in 2019 and were behind the 8 ball all the sudden. Maybe if the Packers didn't jump off the reservation trying to create "THE SECONDARY OF THE AGES" we wouldn't be in this predicament. However, Parris Campbell would provide some dynamic scheme options while he develops which is another reason I have him in my soon to be released mock going to us.

What's done is done but now it's even crazier with people wanting to draft a TE at 12. It's becoming a horror movie that never ends.

Reaction score
am I? No, I think WR's in rounds 2,3 are easily as talented as any team would need in the NFL.

So How much are you paying him? length of contract? signing bonus, because he's telling you right now, he's NOT playing for his current contract.
You’re far too trusting. I don’t take anyone for their word. Especially if it came from the media. You don’t have to be cynical to be skeptical.
I just bought a vehicle yesterday from a guy who was playing hardball on the phone. He said he wouldn’t take less than 27K or he’s out. After meeting him in person and reviewing the history of the vehicle. I bought it for 24.5K last night. Absolutely true story.

Ok! Pay him 13M! Make him feel like he won!

Are you confident that a 2nd or 3rd rounder outplays Davante? That’s what we’re likely looking at with AB.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You’re far too trusting. I don’t take anyone for their word. Especially if it came from the media. You don’t have to be cynical to be skeptical.
I just bought a vehicle yesterday from a guy who was playing hardball on the phone. He said he wouldn’t take less than 27K or he’s out. After meeting him in person and reviewing the history of the vehicle. I bought it for 24.5K last night. Absolutely true story.

Are you confident that a 2nd or 3rd rounder outplays Davante? That’s what we’re likely looking at with AB.

Exactly, if we can play "The Brett Favre, I'm gonna retire every off season game" then we can certainly play "The Antonio Brown, I want more $ game" for awhile.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I understand that football is a team sport as I played for 12 years but it is also a game within a game.

As someone who also played in multiple team sports, I too understand people like AB and played with and against some of them. While maybe you didn't mind having a guy like that on your team, I couldn't stand them, nor did many of my teammates. These are the "me first" guys who are no doubt very talented, but don't really care what coaches say or the fact that there are other people on his team. These are the players that divide a team, because nobody wants to be around them on or off the field.

Blame Tomlin, Roethlisberger or whoever else you want in Pittsburgh, but nothing AB has done or said changes my opinion that he, albeit a very talented player, has become a very self centered guy. You can make all the arguments you want that he will put up great numbers, but sorry he isn't worth the cost or the risks of doing that. Give me a WR that has 400 less yards, costs less and is a team player.

Probably my biggest issue with the whole Brown thing is what precedent he is potentially setting for the future of the NFL. First he throws a fit and gets himself benched in a very important game. Then he demands a trade and now he is hinting that he won't play without a new contract full of guarantees. So will other players take notes and say "Hey, be the biggest A-Hole you can and you get traded and more money in the process".

Please draw the line in the sand Steelers and don't cave in!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, for a 3rd round pick, I'd probably take the chance. There's absolutely no doubt that with his attitude and $$$, it's a risk. I'd still probably do it.

One thing to consider though. AB has said he didn't like how Big Ben called out players and coaches. Rodgers does that, a lot. So let's not act like this is foolproof, ok? This could easily implode. Sure would be fun though, either way. I'm just here for the entertainment.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
As someone who also played in multiple team sports, I too understand people like AB and played with and against some of them. While maybe you didn't mind having a guy like that on your team, I couldn't stand them, nor did many of my teammates. These are the "me first" guys who are no doubt very talented, but don't really care what coaches say or the fact that there are other people on his team. These are the players that divide a team, because nobody wants to be around them on or off the field.

Blame Tomlin, Roethlisberger or whoever else you want in Pittsburgh, but nothing AB has done or said changes my opinion that he, albeit a very talented player, has become a very self centered guy. You can make all the arguments you want that he will put up great numbers, but sorry he isn't worth the cost or the risks of doing that. Give me a WR that has 400 less yards, costs less and is a team player.

Probably my biggest issue with the whole Brown thing is what precedent he is potentially setting for the future of the NFL. First he throws a fit and gets himself benched in a very important game. Then he demands a trade and now he is hinting that he won't play without a new contract full of guarantees. So will other players take notes and say "Hey, be the biggest A-Hole you can and you get traded and more money in the process".

Please draw the line in the sand Steelers and don't cave in!

I just think everyone is getting to wrapped up in the "Big Show" of all of this. The season is over and were in a dead spot so there is nothing else to talk about. I couldn't help but see and hear of similar charades when I lived in Seattle during all that craziness. One thing I will point out is that the Steeler fan base has a huge group of fans that are devastated and still hope they can somehow keep AB through all this. This isn't a situation like Marty B where everyone wanted him gone. Those fans know how hard Brown played and what he meant to there team.

MLB and the NBA guarantee there contracts and most NFL contracts aren't which is whole different discussion. Many see a huge players walk out at the next CBA regarding this.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think everyone is getting to wrapped up in the "Big Show" of all of this. The season is over and were in a dead spot so there is nothing else to talk about. I couldn't help but see and hear of similar charades when I lived in Seattle during all that craziness. One thing I will point out is that the Steeler fan base has a huge group of fans that are devastated and still hope they can somehow keep AB through all this. This isn't a situation like Marty B where everyone wanted him gone. Those fans know how hard Brown played and what he meant to there team.

MLB and the NBA guarantee there contracts and most NFL contracts aren't which is whole different discussion. Many see a huge players walk out at the next CBA regarding this.

Who sees a walkout over guaranteed contracts in the NFL? Theyd literally be arguing over nothing. Theres no rule that prohibits them in the NFL just like theres no rule that mandates them in the NBA

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No i'm not confident a 2nd or 3rd rounder outplays Devante, though I am confident there will be more than a handful of receivers like him taking 2nd and later in this draft alone. But then if we need another WR to come in and outplay DA, then we paid Rodgers way too much money. It shouldn't take another franchise type WR to make this offense function. Nice to have, sure, necessary? didn't seem to work for the Steelers last year and they have a better offensive unit overall.

If we had a solid team, easily I say a 3rd for AB to see what happens. But we don't. We have holes on OL, OLB, ILB,TE, DL, Safety. This offense had so much more potential than it lived up to last season, enough to put it top 10 without much changing and none of it requires Rodgers to be super Man. anyway, I said earlier maybe a 3rd or 4th for him that was my initial impression, though at this point I'd have a clause that turns that 3rd into a 5th if he doesn't play or suit up for 80% of the season for anything other than IR injury.

and plenty of people over value themselves or their possessions. some realize it, some don't. some are more in need, some don't care. AB has already sat out on team a couple times. It will be interesting to see how this works out. If he's not playing for 12, he's probably not playing for 13 either.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One thing I will point out is that the Steeler fan base has a huge group of fans that are devastated and still hope they can somehow keep AB through all this. This isn't a situation like Marty B where everyone wanted him gone. Those fans know how hard Brown played and what he meant to there team.

Really?

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburg...de-Steelers-fans-react-129025194/#129025194_1

Honestly, I am sure you can find fans on both sides of the fence, either way it really doesn't matter, since the fans aren't the ones who have to pay for or play with the guy. If I had to guess, there are discussions just like this going on among 32 fan bases about Brown. Personally, I would be more interested in how Packer players and coaches feel about the guy.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Honestly, for a 3rd round pick, I'd probably take the chance. There's absolutely no doubt that with his attitude and $$$, it's a risk. I'd still probably do it.

One thing to consider though. AB has said he didn't like how Big Ben called out players and coaches. Rodgers does that, a lot. So let's not act like this is foolproof, ok? This could easily implode. Sure would be fun though, either way. I'm just here for the entertainment.

Yeah but Big Ben did it on his podcast over and over.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read an article on this at www.cbssports.com. He will be traded . Had his meeting with Mr. Rooney and both agreed it's best for all to part ways. Nice photo of them; apparently it's all very amicable.

Reaction score
But we don't. We have holes on OL, OLB, ILB,TE, DL, Safety
It might not be imperative to help our Offense. But we’ve seen the effect of largely ignoring it with personnel in comparison to Defense since at least the SB.

Ive said it before on several occasions. I believe the top priority is keeping Aaron Rodgers on his feet. I’m not interested at TE, WR or RB until we can mitigate the number of sacks and pressures. Much of that is the failure of the previous FO to prioritize building a Championship Offense. I’ll give Gute a pass year one because I would’ve picked Defense at CB twice also after ditching Randall etc.. The third pick was a gamble that has not been realized thus far. Personally, I’m:
1. moving Burks to Safety and grabbing another Veteran at S.
2. Going after a Veteran OG if at all possible.
3. I’m using pick #12 on ILB (Devin) to shore up the middle or the best Edge available (Ferrell)
4. I’m resigning Mo if he checks out.
5. I’m leaning 2 of these 3 positions pick #30,#44.. TE, WR, OLB (I prefer TE if it’s someone who can at minimum hold his own blocking) I’ll trade up several spots with one of these 2 picks if my guy is there. Hockenson at #25 etc..)
6. I’m going best OL again #75.
7. The position that doesn’t hit during move #5 above? I’m hitting early day 3 OR I’m packaging late round picks to move as high as pick #80 range if someone slips down the board.
8. I’m grabbing a RB early day 3 (Singleterry or Holyfield etc..)
Then I’m hitting DL/OLB depth and maybe a K

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but Big Ben did it on his podcast over and over.

And Rodgers does it on the field, in post game interviews, in mid week interviews, and in the off season.

What's the freaking difference? This isn't really something one can ignore, imo.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Rodgers does it on the field, in post game interviews, in mid week interviews, and in the off season.

What's the freaking difference? This isn't really something one can ignore, imo.
When did Rodgers call out a teammate on a postgame interview? And matter of fact when has he ever called out his teammates?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When did Rodgers call out a teammate on a postgame interview? And matter of fact when has he ever called out his teammates?

I said players and coaches, just to clarify.

To respond...you're kidding, right? You really wanna say he's never publicly called out teammates? There was the practice this past fall, there was the game with the squirrel a couple years ago...and then there's his general attitude on the field whenever somebody makes a mistake. I love Rodgers, but he does this plenty.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I've said from the beginning AR needs to be in on a move of this magnitude regarding a player such as Brown that plays WR. They need to have a plan in place. We can call it "THE BROWN PLAN".

If Rodgers can handle "THE BROWN PLAN" then a 3rd all day long.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said from the beginning AR needs to be in on a move of this magnitude regarding a player such as Brown that plays WR. They need to have a plan in place. We can call it "THE BROWN PLAN".

If Rodgers can handle "THE BROWN PLAN" then a 3rd all day long.

I get that.

What I'm saying, is that if Brown didn't like Big Ben criticizing teammates and coaches, then he will most likely have the same issue with Rodgers.

Do you see why that could be an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online