Brown traded to Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If you want me to get the notification, you have to get my handle spelled correctly.

Now that said, if me taking my ball and going home means that you leave the conversation alone in my thread, then yes absolutely I do.

Thats fine. Thanks for the "Love Letter". Have fun over there at "Unicorns and Fairy Tales"

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NOTHING removes my happy mood quicker than reading that race baiting liar's name.
I’d apologize, but no day is truly complete until I suck the happiness right out of some poor sap’s life.

But I am sorry, I broke my own rule bringing that POS up. It won’t happen again.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wasn't hurt, he took his ball and went home. Actually, he threw a ball, then walked out of practice and left the team. he skipped the walk thru the day before too. he wasn't even hurt. that was the excuse the team gave to take the heat off of him in the first place rather than say it was discipline heading into week 17. he just didn't want to show up, then thought he was just going to show up and play.

I had not read that explanation. Thank you.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With San Fran "cooling" on AB and thinking more seriously about trading for OBJ is it time to create pages of discussion on what GB should trade away for OBJ? (not wishing this, really!)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I’d apologize, but no day is truly complete until I suck the happiness right out of some poor sap’s life.

But I am sorry, I broke my own rule bringing that POS up. It won’t happen again.

I can understand having some PTSD regarding Bennett but the reality is Bennett was a broken down washed up player when we got him.

Brown is not.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
With San Fran "cooling" on AB and thinking more seriously about trading for OBJ is it time to create pages of discussion on what GB should trade away for OBJ? (not wishing this, really!)

I really wouldn't want OBJ for what will most definitely be a 1st or maybe 2 1st's.

Being able to get Brown for a 2nd or 3rd and a manageable contract is what makes it the opportunity that it is.

D

Deleted member 6794

We cannot move in rebuild mode here with a soon to be 36y/o QB with injuries piling up. The Packers can make the necessary moves to be contenders and teams in the past have proven it(example Saints or Colts)

I'm not suggesting the Packers to rebuild this season but to make smart moves using free agency and the draft to improve the roster.

BTW how did the Saints and Colts improve??? Mostly because they hit the ball out of the park with one of their draft classes.

These type of opportunities don't come around "every year" is where your missing the ball.

It was Mack last year who wouldn't have made the Packers a legit Super Bowl contender. Now the team wouldn't have the 12th pick this season, no first rounder next year and significantly less cap space to improve the roster.

The move would also put our younger receivers in a better position to succeed IMO.

Yeah, I can't imagine having a better role model for the young receivers than a guy quitting with the playoffs on the line :rolleyes:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A second round pick is significant draft capital, just consider the Packers drafted Adams in that round.

How did having two elite receivers work out for the Steelers last season??? If memory serves correctly that didn't make them a Super Bowl contender but they missed the playoffs as well.

I guarantee that if the Packers acquire Brown and decide to move on from him there won't be any other team interested in trading for him.

So you give zero chance to Antonio Brown actually being a good WR? Cause you're real adamant about how it will break the team. I happen to think that the Packers coaches and locker room can deal with Brown; why do you think they can't?

And no, history says that LOTS of teams will still trade for him (especially because he's so cheap). Unless you suddenly think that THIS is gonna be the year that teams give up on talented players....

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since 2011 the Packers have had a Top-5 offense 4 times and a Top-10 offense another (2013). They were knocked-out of the playoffs 3 times by a Top-3 Defense, and the other 2 times our Defense was ranked 22 & 25 and couldn't stop a Top-10 offense ('11 NYG & '16 Atl).

Doesn't matter if the offense is loaded and Top-3 if the defense isn't at least in the Top-10 GB won't make noise in the playoffs. Gute needs to use Free Agency AND the draft to shore-up BOTH sides of the ball. Burning 1/3 of the cap AND a day-2 draft pick on AB isn't good use of GB's assets ($ & picks). Gute needs to effectively bring in a few FA's to plug glaring holes and hit on 2/3 of his picks to both play now AND be core players for future years, IMHO.

Really? You think any second round pick is going to be a better use of assets than having a top-5 WR for only $12m? I mean, I can understand the concerns, but c'mon, the upside on this is FAR higher than any second round pick would be. You sign Brown and you can spend every pick on defense because the offense will be improved based on the fact that it will have two of the 10 best WRs in the NFL.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? You think any second round pick is going to be a better use of assets than having a top-5 WR for only $12m? I mean, I can understand the concerns, but c'mon, the upside on this is FAR higher than any second round pick would be. You sign Brown and you can spend every pick on defense because the offense will be improved based on the fact that it will have two of the 10 best WRs in the NFL.
I'd take Jordy, Jennings, Adams for their careers over AB for what will probably only be a year or 2. He doesn't have the mental make up to last anymore. He's drank his own kool aid and thinks "He's" the man, when he's just a football player.

Sure he could work out, we could also give up the next Jennings that would be paired with Adams and Rodgers for the next 5 years giving us a consistent duo for a malcontent that will decide when he wants to show up or not because someone pissed in his wheaties and will be gone in 2 years tops.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I
So you give zero chance to Antonio Brown actually being a good WR? Cause you're real adamant about how it will break the team. I happen to think that the Packers coaches and locker room can deal with Brown; why do you think they can't?

And no, history says that LOTS of teams will still trade for him (especially because he's so cheap). Unless you suddenly think that THIS is gonna be the year that teams give up on talented players....

This is the type of situation where you thank the football gods. They just don't like Brown so there already creating a worse case scenario.

Apparently we have to win a certain way which in 2019 along with all the competing talent around the league just wont work. Not even with Aaron Rodgers.

If the Packers can't make this move in a reasonable trade then I am beginning to understand why so many are saying were finished for good.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take Jordy, Jennings, Adams for their careers over AB for what will probably only be a year or 2. He doesn't have the mental make up to last anymore. He's drank his own kool aid and thinks "He's" the man, when he's just a football player.

Sure he could work out, we could also give up the next Jennings that would be paired with Adams and Rodgers for the next 5 years giving us a consistent duo for a malcontent that will decide when he wants to show up or not because someone pissed in his wheaties and will be gone in 2 years tops.

Great, so we can wait 3-4 years for the second round pick to become a great WR just in time for Aaron Rodgers to start declining. Orrrrrrrrrr, the team could take a chance that carries little risk and maybe take a massive leap while Aaron is still great. I'd rather take the chance while Rodgers is still great; perhaps you think Rodgers will still be great at 39.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They just don't like Brown so there already creating a worse case scenario...

If the Packers can't make this move in a reasonable trade then I am beginning to understand why so many are saying were finished for good.
Gute is seeing/hearing AB's antics and I'm hoping isn't entertaining any deal for this ***clown.

Straight from AB's weekend video "Tell them I ain’t doing no unguarantees. I ain’t even gonna play myself no more for this NFL. . . . I think I done everything. What y’all think? What’s left for me to do? Win a Super Bowl? Gotta be the right team for that, right? . . . If your team got guaranteed money, they want to get to know me and work with me, tell them to call me.”

Not only does Pittsburgh want compensation to unload this tool but AB wants guaranteed money to continue playing. It's all about him, no thanks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Brown will most likely still be a good wide receiver next season if he ends up on a team with a decent quarterback once again. But as the Steelers proved last season having two elite receivers doesn't automatically make a team a Super Bowl contender. As the Packers would have to use $15 million of cap space and a decent draft pick on him I definitely prefer to team to improve the roster a different way.

I agree there will be several teams interested in trading for him now. But, there's no way his new team would be able to receive any compensation in return if he ends up on the trade block again.

Orrrrrrrrrr, the team could take a chance that carries little risk and maybe take a massive leap while Aaron is still great.

Giving up $15 million in cap space and an early draft pick isn't a small risk to acquire a quitter.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brown will most likely still be a good wide receiver next season if he ends up on a team with a decent quarterback once again. But as the Steelers proved last season having two elite receivers doesn't automatically make a team a Super Bowl contender. As the Packers would have to use $15 million of cap space and a decent draft pick on him I definitely prefer to team to improve the roster a different way.

I agree there will be several teams interested in trading for him now. But, there's no way his new team would be able to receive any compensation in return if he ends up on the trade block again.

Giving up $15 million in cap space and an early draft pick isn't a small risk to acquire a quitter.

Remember Lofton and Jefferson?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Gute is seeing/hearing AB's antics and I'm hoping isn't entertaining any deal for this ***clown.

Straight from AB's weekend video "Tell them I ain’t doing no unguarantees. I ain’t even gonna play myself no more for this NFL. . . . I think I done everything. What y’all think? What’s left for me to do? Win a Super Bowl? Gotta be the right team for that, right? . . . If your team got guaranteed money, they want to get to know me and work with me, tell them to call me.”

Not only does Pittsburgh want compensation to unload this tool but AB wants guaranteed money to continue playing. It's all about him, no thanks.

Agreed. For those who haven't read his comments, they are below. Reading what he is now saying firmed up my "NO" on this guy even more. Bad enough that he quit on his team and now he is demanding to be traded AND get guarantees on a new contract. Hell no!

The end of the article is classic:

"Oh, and one more note from Brown's Monday Instagram Live session: He no longer wants to be called "A.B." and instead would like to be referred to as "Mr. Big Chest." So, there is that too."

I would prefer just to call him "Mr Big Head".

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018274/article/antonio-brown-eyes-new-team-guaranteed-money

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. For those who haven't read his comments, they are below. Reading what he is now saying firmed up my "NO" on this guy even more. Bad enough that he quit on his team and now he is demanding to be traded AND get guarantees on a new contract. Hell no!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018274/article/antonio-brown-eyes-new-team-guaranteed-money

I was going to post this this morning. Nope Nope Nope. Trade him to Buffalo so no one will have to deal with him anymore. He has turned into an absolute clown.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Little risk compared to payoff. Yup. As I've pointed out, that "quitter" played hurt and was willing to play special teams for years to help the team.

First, that $15m is not true. Brown would count $12.6m against the cap if the team traded for him after March 17, $14.1m if they traded for him before March 17. Second, are we assuming that the team is signing no free agents in the offseason? Because if we are assuming they'll sign someone, then the actual cost is just the difference between who they sign and what Brown cost; and i can guarantee there are no free agents on offense who will help as much as Brown. Some seem to think that bad locker room guys automatically mean terrible players. Suh was a terrible locker room guy, he did really well. Moss and TO were bad locker room guys, they seemed to do well. Some fans just want to punish players for being "divas" and part of that punishment is pretending they're not good players anymore.

Even if he is a quitter, people seem to assume that all draft picks are sure things. It's amazing how positive people are that the Packers will be selecting All-Pros in the draft.

Let's assume he costs a second-round pick. Apparently, in some minds, Antonio Brown will help this team less than Kevin King, Josh Jones, Jason Spriggs (!), Quinten Rollins, Davante Adams (took three years to get good), Eddie Lacy, Jerel Worthy, Casey Hayward, Randall Cobb, Mike Neal, Jordy Nelson, Brian Brohm, Pat Lee, etc.

So, I'd say that five of those players turned out to be good picks and 8 were busts. Of those five good players, one was great as a rookie (Hayward), one was good as a rookie (Lacy) and the others took a few years to become good. Aaron Rodgers is 35 years old. I'm shocked that some seem to think that waiting three years for a second round players to become good (if they even are good) is the best way to make this team a Super Bowl team. Especially since if Brown doesn't work out you can be certain that a team like the Raiders, 49ers, Cardinals, etc., that need a #1 WR, will be willing to give up a draft pick for Brown.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

"Oh, and one more note from Brown's Monday Instagram Live session: He no longer wants to be called "A.B." and instead would like to be referred to as "Mr. Big Chest." So, there is that too."

Like I have posted I don't care about the sideshow. If it gives you guys something to talk about all week then great. I care about wins. He can wear fluffy coats, dye his mustache, take helicopters to practice etc etc. As long as he shows up and plays like a HOF receiver I don't really care.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Like I have posted I don't care about the sideshow. If it gives you guys something to talk about all week then great. I care about wins. He can wear fluffy coats, dye his mustache, take helicopters to practice etc etc. As long as he shows up and plays like a HOF receiver I don't really care.

I think this is where your disconnect from the situation occurs. Your assumption is that Brown will play like a HOF receiver, inside of a bubble. Football is a team sport, Brown will not be playing by himself and his actions influence the other 52 guys. If you don't understand the term "poison pill", than you will keep ignoring all the red flags and think this is only about "fluffy coats, dye his mustache, take helicopters to practice".

Also, if Brown's latest comments about the situation of only wanting to play on a Super Bowl contender and only for guaranteed money don't give you pause about the guy, nothing short of him being arrested for murder is going to change your opinion and not sure that even would.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great, so we can wait 3-4 years for the second round pick to become a great WR just in time for Aaron Rodgers to start declining. Orrrrrrrrrr, the team could take a chance that carries little risk and maybe take a massive leap while Aaron is still great. I'd rather take the chance while Rodgers is still great; perhaps you think Rodgers will still be great at 39.
or perhaps a simpler offense results in a guy or 2 taking off in year 1 or 2. It's not exactly unheard of and without 3 entrenched guys ahead of them, the way is open for someone to jump ahead without having to beat out Jordy, Cobb or Driver.

regardless of how great Rodgers is or isn't. we need a better team around him. I've seen armless QB's win a super bowl, the better team we have around him, the better chances we have. I'd rather grow a team than try and buy one for this year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I had posed the question after his first ******* tweet #newdemands, what do people think that meant? He was challenging himself to do better in the face of a new employers demands? Or going to demand more money? this guy is showing us all who he is.

Reaction score
I admittedly flip flop with this candidate. One part of me sais he’s that dynamic and the attitude comes with the type personality. The other part of me sais.. he may very set a terrible precedent for the unforeseeable future with his ego.

I’m not afraid to talk with him, what he’s done in the past is the past. I’m going to make him aware that wherever he ends up he’ll need to change or his career is over and then he IS just a guy, and not even a nice one at that. I’d lay it on the line and tell him we want him but we can win with him or without him. I mean that too. If he’s offended it wasn’t meant to be.. if he respects me for telling the truth? He’s already changed. Welcome aboard.

I’m also not afraid to pay the man. But I’m 100% not afraid to walk away from a deal in a second. There’s a program and everybody needs to be on it. That’s what we pay you for.

I 100% believe we can win without him. That makes a meeting with him real short and to the point. I’m not afraid to forgive him for his past and have a dignified conversation, but he needs to know he represents our entire organization and we’re not interested in him sinking our ship. He comes to play lights out and keep his tongue in check or he’s gone before the first practice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online