Brown traded to Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether he's a "quitter" who will continue to do stuff like this remains to be seen, but you can't really deny that he did quit in this instances here a couple months ago. It's a fact that it happened.

He used the only leverage he had. I'd take his entire career as evidence he's willing to actually sacrifice for the team to play special teams (how many #1 receivers do that?) over him missing one game. He obviously doesn't like the Steelers (or at least Big Ben) so, he did what he could. It's also the reason he's so cheap. You know it would take more to trade for AJ Green for example, and Brown is the better receiver (marginally).

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
He used the only leverage he had. I'd take his entire career as evidence he's willing to actually sacrifice for the team to play special teams (how many #1 receivers do that?) over him missing one game. He obviously doesn't like the Steelers (or at least Big Ben) so, he did what he could.

Yep, it is definitely Ben. Local papers said Brown doesn't like how Ben acts like an owner over everyone, including the coaches.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Even Pittsburgh fans know whats coming. I love the "denial" around here.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Whether he's a "quitter" who will continue to do stuff like this remains to be seen, but you can't really deny that he did quit in this instances here a couple months ago. It's a fact that it happened.

We also can't deny that he would by leaps and bounds help this team more then Irv Smith who you have mocked to us at 30. :eek:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He used the only leverage he had. I'd take his entire career as evidence he's willing to actually sacrifice for the team to play special teams (how many #1 receivers do that?) over him missing one game. He obviously doesn't like the Steelers (or at least Big Ben) so, he did what he could. It's also the reason he's so cheap. You know it would take more to trade for AJ Green for example, and Brown is the better receiver (marginally).

I'm not going to claim to understand what all went on there. But he decided to quit showing up on a team that was in the PO hunt. That, and his other strange behavior of recent months, shouldn't just be shrugged off as insignificant.

But neither am I saying that his long track record of excellence should be disregarded over it.

This is a boring take, but realistically we can't know whether this is a good or bad idea without having the kind of inside information that we don't have access to.

Some of the rumors floating around could be nothing, or they could be the initial hints of him coming unraveled.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to claim to understand what all went on there. But he decided to quit showing up on a team that was in the PO hunt. That, and his other strange behavior of recent months, shouldn't just be shrugged off as insignificant.

But neither am I saying that his long track record of excellence should be disregarded over it.

This is a boring take, but realistically we can't know whether this is a good or bad idea without having the kind of inside information that we don't have access to.

Some of the rumors floating around could be nothing, or they could be the initial hints of him coming unraveled.

Nobody is saying it's insignificant. I think it's a very valid concern. I also think that that's why you're getting a top 5 WR for $2m more than Randall Cobb got paid last year. Keep in mind, he's freaking CHEAP if a team trades for him. There is literally no combination of any other TWO moves you could make on offense that would have the upside of Antonio Brown being added to the offense; there is CERTAINLY no combination of moves that would cost only $12m against the cap that has that kind of upside.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nobody is saying it's insignificant. I think it's a very valid concern. I also think that that's why you're getting a top 5 WR for $2m more than Randall Cobb got paid last year. Keep in mind, he's freaking CHEAP if a team trades for him. There is literally no combination of any other TWO moves you could make on offense that would have the upside of Antonio Brown being added to the offense; there is CERTAINLY no combination of moves that would cost only $12m against the cap that has that kind of upside.

I understand. If they can vet the situation and are confident that he's going to be stable, then cool. I don't think it's a crazy idea. But they have to be pretty confident that he isn't starting to unravel. The upheaval around PIT at the end of the season, the weird behavior, and the legal run-ins are unsettling.

Reaction score
Well he’s been saying farewell to fans in the last few days and said it’s time to move on so unless this is all some act? He’s already gone in spirit.

There would have to be a thorough evaluation and openly address our concern but maybe what he needs is a new scenery. I tell you one thing Aaron Rodgers and him would be lethal if they get any sort of Rythm whatsoever

It’s also amazing what winning does to solve those woes Him and Davante would be one of the best 1-2 punches in the league. Best have two #1 Cornerbacks or your getting punished.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I understand. If they can vet the situation and are confident that he's going to be stable, then cool. I don't think it's a crazy idea. But they have to be pretty confident that he isn't starting to unravel. The upheaval around PIT at the end of the season, the weird behavior, and the legal run-ins are unsettling.

6-9-1 is unsettling and we got to get rid of this curse Ted Thompson has left us.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The deal is we wouldn't be in this situation if not for all the Ted Thomposn fruit cakes that kept him around so long so now we have to make this move.

The same fruit cakes that wanted Thompson longer are the ones that dont want Brown. Go figure.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well he’s been saying farewell to fans in the last few days and said it’s time to move on so unless this is all some act? He’s already gone in spirit.

There would have to be a thorough evaluation and openly address our concern but maybe what he needs is a new scenery. I tell you one thing Aaron Rodgers and him would be lethal if they get any sort of Rythm whatsoever

It’s also amazing what winning does to solve those woes Him and Davante would be one of the best 1-2 punches in the league. Best have two #1 Cornerbacks or your getting punished.

This offense will be unstoppable with Brown once they shore up the O-Line. I'd still be interested in adding another slot type speed guy for good measure. Don't want to go to a gun fight with not enough amo.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yep, it is definitely Ben. Local papers said Brown doesn't like how Ben acts like an owner over everyone, including the coaches.

That's right. Brown even tweeted today that he was the only one that could stand up for himself regarding Big "******" Ben and anyone else that did would be gone.

Reaction score
This offense will be unstoppable with Brown once they shore up the O-Line. I'd still be interested in adding another slot type speed guy for good measure. Don't want to go to a gun fight with not enough amo.
True. If we drafted an early O line pick. I still think Spriggs could add 15 pounds and move inside. People forget, he was one of the fastest (sub 5.0) and most athletic Oline in his draft. He’d be 6’6” X 316lb and Versatile

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Nobody works harder then Antonio Brown at his craft. The guy kills himself "Jerry Rice Style" training to become a better player in the offseason. This guy is dedicated and earns his $.

Watching him at Lambeau with Rodgers would be a dream scenario. Two HOF's going at it. Not so sure what more we could ask for.

This move would be as significant as when we got Charles Woodson. Maybe more.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not like he's LOSING any money when he gets traded, he still keeps his signing bonus, the Steelers are just stuck paying it all at once.
That’s true... but I have a suspicion that he will see it differently.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That’s true... but I have a suspicion that he will see it differently.

If he comes in here and follows the program and blows it up then pay him more and do it smiling.

I just dont understand the worrying over what he gets paid when we've been paying guys Antonio Brown $ who are mediocre.

Matthews, Perry, Cobb etc etc

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he comes in here and follows the program and blows it up then pay him more and do it smiling.

I just dont understand the worrying over what he gets paid when we've been paying guys Antonio Brown $ who are mediocre.

Matthews, Perry, Cobb etc etc
And Mathews will now need to be replaced along with the upgrade to the offensive line that you yourself said that we need... and another safety. etc... Oh yeah and that new contract they gave Rodgers... Where exactly are you planning to get the money that you are claiming the should give Brown?

Reaction score
I still don't want to count on spriggs as a starter going into season even at G. I want this to happen. Plus drafting amother one.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...chi-osemele-could-be-perfect-fit-for-packers/
No one said immediate starter. He was the #1 OL at the combine with a 115” Broad jump and he was #1 in the Combine 40 time at 4.94, top 5 bench press-31, #2 in the shuttle etc.. the list goes on. He was drafted and we traded multiple picks because he’s a gifted athlete. Those measurables are phenomenal. Theres a reason we traded multiple picks to get him.
There’s no reason he can’t beef up and move inside., he’s already added weight and strength according to several recent articles.
With some work, he’s highly likely got starter potential inside and certainly as depth. He’s easily athletic enough to make this roster with the right tutelage
This is the whole reason I thought he was drafted in the first place. Notice the references to Guard before he even made the pros. It’s time to play to his strengths instead of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jason-spriggs?id=2555197

Interesting tid bit. Both Osemele and Spriggs played RT and both were projected as OG fits in the NFL.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
No one said immediate starter. He was the #1 OL at the combine with a 115” Broad jump, he was #1 in the 40 time 4.94, top 5 bench press-31, #2 in the shuttle etc.. the list goes on. He was drafted and we traded multiple picks because he’s a gifted athlete. Those measurables are phenomenal. There’s no reason he can’t beef up and move inside. With some work, he’s probably got starter potential inside and certainly as as depth. We can’t just keep trying to put square pegs in a round hole. He’s athletic enough to make this roster.

And if that works I'm all for it. I just want the warchest full in case we need to go plan B.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
And Mathews will now need to be replaced along with the upgrade to the offensive line that you yourself said that we need... and another safety. etc... Oh yeah and that new contract they gave Rodgers... Where exactly are you planning to get the money that you are claiming the should give Brown?

Were getting ahead of ourselves. I wouldn't plan on giving him any $ right now other then what he has coming. With his little set of problems(which i believe are minor) he will have to come in and prove and earn everything he gets.

Now after he helps us get another Lombardi thats a different situation and if he blows it up I could potentially see him asking for more then. At that point we have options to pay him or possibly trade him and getting a return. Maybe he loves it here after what he went through with Big Ben. I will take those set of circumstances any day over where were at right now though any way you cut it.

We have to rid ourselves of this "losing mentality"

As far as the defense and replacing Clay, Safety etc etc. Pettine proved he can run a band aid operation on that side of the ball and be somewhat effective.We have a lot of young talent to develop there as well. We probably will be able to pump another 3-4 draft picks on that side of the ball too. I could see signing a stop gap at free safety but getting some big high priced edge rusher was a pipe dream to begin with.

Edit: Also next year Bulaga deal off the books ans we can get out of the Graham deal and more easily on Perry deal so overall we'd be looking good.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I've been waiting months for anyone to give me a "better idea" and all i've heard badically is drafting Safety, Edge and possibly a TE in the first round. Then sign some high priced defensive free agent who is never gonna come here. :sleep:

Its clear to me that most people have become conditioned to build a roster how Ted Thompson did and if Gute is then were in huge huge trouble.

I fully expect Gutekunst to be more aggressive to build a team using free agency and trades significantly more often than Thompson did.

You have to realize that the draft remains the most important method to put together a talented roster though.

"Quitting"... Best receiver in the NFL over the last four years, barely missed any time, played hurt, was willing to play special teams to help the team, but he skips one game and he's a quitter....

Brown quit with the playoffs on the line. I have a hard time relying on a player like that, especially when acquiring him requires to give up significant draft capitals as well as a ton of money.

I still don't want to count on spriggs as a starter going into season even at G. I want this to happen. Plus drafting amother one.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...chi-osemele-could-be-perfect-fit-for-packers/

Osemele is scheduled to make $10 million in 2019. While he might sign for a bit less if the Raiders cut him the Packers would have a hard time addressing any other needs while trading for Brown as well.

No one said immediate starter. He was the #1 OL at the combine with a 115” Broad jump and he was #1 in the Combine 40 time at 4.94, top 5 bench press-31, #2 in the shuttle etc.. the list goes on. He was drafted and we traded multiple picks because he’s a gifted athlete. Those measurables are phenomenal. Theres a reason we traded multiple picks to get him.
There’s no reason he can’t beef up and move inside., he’s already added weight and strength according to several recent articles.
With some work, he’s highly likely got starter potential inside and certainly as depth. He’s easily athletic enough to make this roster with the right tutelage
This is the whole reason I thought he was drafted in the first place. Notice the references to Guard before he even made the pros. It’s time to play to his strengths instead of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

I'm fine with the Packers moving Spriggs to guard but as I don't have a lot of confidence in him developing into a decent starter no matter the position the team needs a backup plan in case it doesn't work.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brown quit with the playoffs on the line. I have a hard time relying on a player like that, especially when acquiring him requires to give up significant draft capitals as well as a ton of money.

"Significant" draft capital isn't a second or third round pick when it's being spent too acquire the inarguable best WR of the past 5 years. Again, I'm not defending what he did in skipping a game, but that's why he's so CHEAP! Yes, you can be concerned about his attitude, but, and I'll always come back to this, you can't tell me any combination of free agent moves this team could make that would close to the upside of acquiring Brown. You're worried about the oline? Not gonna see a lot of blitzes when the defense is trying to cover Adams AND Brown. You worried about the defense? Offense should be putting up enough points to compensate.

Is it guaranteed to work out? Nope, but if it does it's ONE move that immediately makes the Packers a Super Bowl contender next year. No other combination of moves will achieve that same goal. Rodgers is getting older, if the team wants to take advantage then they need to take some risks.

And this isn't even a big risk. If he's a problem there is ZERO cap hit to cutting or treatin him. You give up a second or third and he doesn't work? I GUARANTEE another team will be willing to trade a fourth a fifth to the Packers to get him. So the "downside" to getting Brown? You traded a second rounder and got a fifth rounder. The upside? Best offense in the NFL. That seems like a pretty easy choice.

PS. Pre-emptive apologies for any misspellings, longest post I've ever tried to write from my phone.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
"Significant" draft capital isn't a second or third round pick when it's being spent too acquire the inarguable best WR of the past 5 years. Again, I'm not defending what he did in skipping a game, but that's why he's so CHEAP! Yes, you can be concerned about his attitude, but, and I'll always come back to this, you can't tell me any combination of free agent moves this team could make that would close to the upside of acquiring Brown. You're worried about the oline? Not gonna see a lot of blitzes when the defense is trying to cover Adams AND Brown. You worried about the defense? Offense should be putting up enough points to compensate.

Is it guaranteed to work out? Nope, but if it does it's ONE move that immediately makes the Packers a Super Bowl contender next year. No other combination of moves will achieve that same goal. Rodgers is getting older, if the team wants to take advantage then they need to take some risks.

And this isn't even a big risk. If he's a problem there is ZERO cap hit to cutting or treatin him. You give up a second or third and he doesn't work? I GUARANTEE another team will be willing to trade a fourth a fifth to the Packers to get him. So the "downside" to getting Brown? You traded a second rounder and got a fifth rounder. The upside? Best offense in the NFL. That seems like a pretty easy choice.

PS. Pre-emptive apologies for any misspellings, longest post I've ever tried to write from my phone.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Perfectly explained. Probably why the line is moving and he is now down to 5-1 from 9-1. I really don't see why people don't get this. Obviously the $ understands how big this would be to Green Bay

https://m.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/the-packers-have-51-odds-to-land-antonio-brown-520

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So you think he is gonna like Aaron Rodgers? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.