Brown traded to Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There's middle ground between saying Antonio Brown will wreck your chemistry, and saying that the Antonio Brown thing is nothing. It's clearly not nothing. It also not might be the worst thing ever.

The Packers have to consider whether Brown at a high salary is worth the risk of his antics that are progressively getting worse. And that is undeniable, they are getting worse. He's also a great talent. If he were on a cheap contract, this wouldn't even be a discussion, go get him, but he's not, so the risk is undoubtedly higher.

I'll say this. If we got him, and he got the ball, and we were winning, I think the players would be fine with his antics. Start losing...and there will be issues. Serious issues. Anybody acting like this is an easy decision when we have a first time HC, a GM who's been on the job for two years, and a practically new owner is crazy. We aren't the Patriots. We know BB could probably handle this. We don't know if LaFleur could. It's a big risk.

There are so many dynamics to this. If we start losing again the team is going to fall apart regardless if Antonio Brown is here or not. Aaron Rodgers and Losing don't mix and we had guys quitting in 2017 when that season was over so the ship is going to sink regardless.

There is also the other theory I have heard that deep down inside Antonio Brown really wants discipline and to have tough boundaries set for him and Tomlin and the Steelers have completely just gone about the whole thing the wrong way sinking in quick sand with how they have handled it. Expectations need to be managed and controlled up front and not after the fact.

There will be any risk in anyone the Packers bring in and once again risk will be necessary for the Packers to get back to contending.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is really hard to have a firm opinion on. Without knowing the story behind all his recent erratic behavior, how can we really say if it would be a good idea? People who want him will say it's nothing without really knowing that. People who don't want him will say it's a problem that will dog him here without really knowing that.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Interesting......are the Steelers posturing for a better draft pick in a trade?

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 13m13 minutes ago
Sources: #Steelers owner Art Rooney II is down in Florida, where has a place, and he hoped to meet with frustrated WR Antonio Brown to clear the air. Brown has no plans to meet with Rooney, as he’s stated his intentions publicly. Talks on AB’s future will ramp up in Indy.

More like the reality is settling in on what there getting ready to lose and an attempt to smooth things over which now apparently Brown has agreed to meet with Rooney. Steeler Nation overall doesn't want to lose Brown either.

The problem is Brown hates R-Burger and this has been building for years. Brown wants out but this meeting very well could include something like "You can stay here Antonio and work things out or we've arranged a trade deal with team X and we wont be trading you to San Francisco so were giving you this opportunity to work things out here before we make this trade etc etc."

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Narcissists work extremely well with other Narcissists which equals Antonio Brown is coming to Green Bay..

Aaron Rodgers + Antonio Brown = match made in heaven

D

Deleted member 6794

See the "Seattle Seahawks" and they still won a Super Bowl with guys punching each other out before the big game.

This Antonio Brown thing is nothing.

I rather have players punching each other than a guy quitting on his team.

If we start losing again the team is going to fall apart regardless if Antonio Brown is here or not.

The difference being that in case the Packers would have $15 million less cap space to rebuild the roster going forward.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having two top-10 WRs on offense fixes a LOT of issues on offense. And, if the Packers were looking to sign a veteran WR for the slot, that would probably cost in the neighborhood of $7-8m per year, so really you're looking at upgrading from Adam Humphries to Antonio Brown for an extra $4-5 million a year. That's a freaking steal.

There are some (overblown in my opinion) concerns about his locker room fit but the financial cost of signing him is one of the major positives. There's no way to spin Antonio Brown for $12m a year as bad in ANY way for the cap.
What makes you believe he will agree to play anywhere for that? Yes I know that he is under contract, but it doesn’t sound like he is happy with it and I’m doubtful that he will show up and play unless he gets a new deal as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My brother and I had some interesting go rounds when we were younger. Neither of us quit and walked out on each other though

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is really hard to have a firm opinion on. Without knowing the story behind all his recent erratic behavior, how can we really say if it would be a good idea? People who want him will say it's nothing without really knowing that. People who don't want him will say it's a problem that will dog him here without really knowing that.

So now you are expecting us to know things when we argue about them. That should slow things down on here.:D

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Vegas is about gambling and what people are betting on. It has nothing to do with what is a good idea or not a good idea.

I've been waiting months for anyone to give me a "better idea" and all i've heard badically is drafting Safety, Edge and possibly a TE in the first round. Then sign some high priced defensive free agent who is never gonna come here. :sleep:

Its clear to me that most people have become conditioned to build a roster how Ted Thompson did and if Gute is then were in huge huge trouble.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't always agree with these guys but they did predict 90-95 percent of where big name free agents landed last year. They are actually all in "agreement" in regards to Antonio Brown.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

The difference being that in case the Packers would have $15 million less cap space to rebuild the roster going forward.

It went far far deeper then guys punching each other out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First. You’re likely aware I’ve been advocating for an established veteran presence at WR. I’m never in favor of negotiating from a position of weakness. Bargaining with a #12 is near desperation.

Our #12 selection is the best pick we’ve had in a decade and should get us a stellar athlete for the next 5 years minimum which overlaps Rodgers contract nicely. If we end up with a formidable player at #12 minimal cost we would regret this short sided thinking.
I would at best negotiate pick #30 (and possibly a 3rd day pick) That should be enough leverage and if someone wants to trade a #20 overall or whatever? Let them. That trade in 2018 (to set up our future) was for us to do exactly this kind of move but without the major risk.
I guess I’m saying I want both (#12 AND Antonio) or I’m out. One time offer.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I’m 100% in agreement with GB needing an established veteran presence at WR.

The #12 selection should get us a stellar athlete for the next 5 years at a minimal cost. While it sounds exciting, It’s not worth the trade off. I would at best negotiate pick #30.
Then I’m going out and hammering on O Line with a FA plus additional draft picks

This FA class sucks on the OL though.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
First. You’re likely aware I’ve been advocating for an established veteran presence at WR. I’m never in favor of negotiating from a position of weakness. Bargaining with a #12 is near desperation.

Our #12 selection is the best pick we’ve had in a decade and should get us a stellar athlete for the next 5 years minimum which overlaps Rodgers contract nicely. If we end up with a formidable player at #12 minimal cost we would regret this short sided thinking.
I would at best negotiate pick #30 (and possibly a 3rd day pick) That should be enough leverage and if someone wants to trade a #20 overall or whatever? Let them. That trade in 2018 (to set up our future) was for us to do exactly this kind of of move but without the major risk.
I guess I’m saying I want both (#12 AND Antonio) or I’m out.

Were not gonna have to give up pick #12. That'rs the beauty of it. A couple day 2's or pick 30 should get it done.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Let's say we give pick 30 for Brown. We in a sense have Jaire Alexander and Antonio Brown locked up for 3 years on a good deal instead of Derwin james.

I call that "Winning"

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's say we give pick 30 for Brown. We in a sense have Jaire Alexander and Antonio Brown locked up for 3 years on a good deal instead of Derwin james.

I call that "Winning"

I think it's become clear that nobody is giving up a 1 for brown. I hear it's more likely a 3rd at this point. That's why Rooney is reaching they need to get back some leverage. But since you gotta pay not only a pick but probably sign him to an extension.

Now if you get him to agree to just play out his contract. I think it was 3 years 39 m left, then it's fine for pick 30 I think. And I'd do it for the 3rd even if you have to add a year and make that 13 m a year 16 m per. So thatd be adding a year and 25 m to his deal. I believe you could do this with limited determent to the future sakry cap depending on how you paid that 25. Benefitting greatly from the Steelers paying the signing bonus originally

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes you believe he will agree to play anywhere for that? Yes I know that he is under contract, but it doesn’t sound like he is happy with it and I’m doubtful that he will show up and play unless he gets a new deal as well.

It's not like he's LOSING any money when he gets traded, he still keeps his signing bonus, the Steelers are just stuck paying it all at once.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think it's become clear that nobody is giving up a 1 for brown. I hear it's more likely a 3rd at this point. That's why Rooney is reaching they need to get back some leverage. But since you gotta pay not only a pick but probably sign him to an extension.

Now if you get him to agree to just play out his contract. I think it was 3 years 39 m left, then it's fine for pick 30 I think. And I'd do it for the 3rd even if you have to add a year and make that 13 m a year 16 m per. So thatd be adding a year and 25 m to his deal. I believe you could do this with limited determent to the future sakry cap depending on how you paid that 25. Benefitting greatly from the Steelers paying the signing bonus originally

It's possible that Rooney is reaching out to try to claw back some leverage, but it's also possible that they aren't serious about trading him. They tried to put a scare into Roethlisberger with trade rumors a few years back as well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"Quitting"... Best receiver in the NFL over the last four years, barely missed any time, played hurt, was willing to play special teams to help the team, but he skips one game and he's a quitter....

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
"Quitting"... Best receiver in the NFL over the last four years, barely missed any time, played hurt, was willing to play special teams to help the team, but he skips one game and he's a quitter....

Whether he's a "quitter" who will continue to do stuff like this remains to be seen, but you can't really deny that he did quit in this instances here a couple months ago. It's a fact that it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.