Brown traded to Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you sure you want to hitch your pony to THAT wagon? ;)

You 2 better huddle up, Brandon says if Rodgers wants Brown, they will go after him. As you stated, Rodgers wanted to keep Jordy and well.......
Hence why I said I agree with Brandon to an extent. I don't agree that if Rodgers says to go after Brown and the Front Office ignores him that that automatically means that one should lose a job. But I do think the urgency of taking a risk in FA is necessary.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm interested in doing one thing right now and that's putting as much "greatness" as possible around are "Greatness (Aaron Rodgers)" which we should of doing for awhile now.

Im not interested in no 2 year rebuild or the lnsanity of trying to still build some elite defense. We can salvage whats left of Rodgers career and go on a nice run.

GPG!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Hence why I said I agree with Brandon to an extent. I don't agree that if Rodgers says to go after Brown and the Front Office ignores him that that automatically means that one should lose a job. But I do think the urgency of taking a risk in FA is necessary.

The only one that would stop it would be Mark Murphy.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, we don't need no stinkin' whinin' crybaby prima donna Antonio Brown.

No.

We're worried about AR12 being a prima donna and we wish to sign the poster-child for being a prima donna?

No.

Heck yeah, according to recent reports Antonio Brown could cost the team upwards of a third round pick! I mean, geez, can you imagine giving up the chance to draft the next Oren Burks or Ty Montgomery to get one of the top-5 WRs in the NFL for $12m per year over the next three years? It's ridiculous!

Reaction score
Reading this post is giving me Rodel and Josh Mcdaniels flashbacks lmao Except now its brandon2348 and Brown. :roflmao:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Heck yeah, according to recent reports Antonio Brown could cost the team upwards of a third round pick! I mean, geez, can you imagine giving up the chance to draft the next Oren Burks or Ty Montgomery to get one of the top-5 WRs in the NFL for $12m per year over the next three years? It's ridiculous!

Don't forget to leave out the great Montravious Adams. Another gem that we just couldn't give back. :eek:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers wants Cobb back. Should we make that happen too?
I think the Packers should and will try everything in their power to keep Cobb for the 2019 season, but not at his current deal. It will have to make sense for the Packers to entertain it.

If Cobb is willing to agree to a restructure, keeping him is a no brainer in my opinion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cobb is a FA so he’d need a new contract to stay.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers should and will try everything in their power to keep Cobb for the 2019 season, but not at his current deal. It will have to make sense for the Packers to entertain it.
The Packers don't have room on the roster for Cobb unless they plan on PS'ing or cutting J'Mon Moore, EQ, MVS and/or Kumerow. They kept 8 WR's last year which is pretty crazy IMHO. A bonafide NFL slot receiver needs to be found, whether they're on the roster already, FA, draft or waiver pickup.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is getting tired. No amount of logic is going to convince Brandon that AB is bad news. Differences in opinion are what make a forum thrive... to a point. However, Its pretty obvious that Brandon is alone on this one, and all the arguments have been exhausted. At this point all that is left is to start telling him how misguided or worse he is... and he can tell us how stupid and narrow minded we all are.

On the flip side no amount of logic (I used the word because you did even though I don't think it really applies in either case) will convince the anti Brown fans it might be a good thing.

My gut reaction is to say no thank you to a trade but I think my reasoning is a little different from what many have posted. At least I don't recall seeing it. First let me say that I think AB is a tremendous talent and his presence in GB would do a lot of positive things for the team. I'm not as concerned as some others are about the attitude but I admit there is cause for some caution. That is me taking my position firmly on the fence. Now for my analysis. My problem with what I think Brandon is seeing in a Adams/Brown tandem is that he is thinking in the line of individual stats rather than cumulative stats. That may not make sense but let me explain.

In Adams I see a WR with 1500 yards and 14 TD potential.
In Brown I see a WR with 1500 yards and 14 TD potential.

What I don't see is a Tandem with 3000 yard 28 TD potential in Green Bay. I see more of a 2500 yard 23 TD tandem and I honestly think we can get that with Adams and another WR. I'm not saying just any other WR obviously. It has to be the right one. Maybe we have that WR on our roster in MVS, EQ, or JMoore or maybe its a WR we sign in FA (I like John Brown myself) who would probably come cheaper and with less headaches than Brown. My point is even though Brown would add a great deal I don't think it is a as simple as saying we are adding another 1500 yards and 14 TDs to our stat sheet.

I think WR is a bigger need than most on here do but I don't think the way to address that need is by trading a 1st or 2nd round pick (for the Packers that would be 1 of 3 picks possible) for Antonio Brown. That is draft capital that would be better served improving other areas of need. A third rounder would intrigue me and if that were to happen I wouldn't cry about it but my preferred method to deal with what I see as a need at WR would be to continue to develop the 2nd year guys, sign a free agent (Like I said I like John Brown but I'm not sure he would be considered a replacement for Cobb in the slot) and draft a WR early either this year or next year with the idea that he will become our number 1 and not simply with the hope that maybe one day he will become a decent compliment to our number 1.

Side note I love the part of your post in bold but would only say its not time to start it, its been going on pretty much since the thread was started.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Interesting......are the Steelers posturing for a better draft pick in a trade?

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 13m13 minutes ago
Sources: #Steelers owner Art Rooney II is down in Florida, where has a place, and he hoped to meet with frustrated WR Antonio Brown to clear the air. Brown has no plans to meet with Rooney, as he’s stated his intentions publicly. Talks on AB’s future will ramp up in Indy.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You changed the context of the question. The question was do we give up our first round pick (#12 overall) for Antonio Brown.

Now for our third round pick, sure, we can probably stand the stinkin', whinin' crybaby Antonio Brown for the next three years.

But why would anyone think his attitude would be better in GB than in Pittsburgh?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the flip side no amount of logic (I used the word because you did even though I don't think it really applies in either case) will convince the anti Brown fans it might be a good thing.

My gut reaction is to say no thank you to a trade but I think my reasoning is a little different from what many have posted. At least I don't recall seeing it. First let me say that I think AB is a tremendous talent and his presence in GB would do a lot of positive things for the team. I'm not as concerned as some others are about the attitude but I admit there is cause for some caution. That is me taking my position firmly on the fence. Now for my analysis. My problem with what I think Brandon is seeing in a Adams/Brown tandem is that he is thinking in the line of individual stats rather than cumulative stats. That may not make sense but let me explain.

In Adams I see a WR with 1500 yards and 14 TD potential.
In Brown I see a WR with 1500 yards and 14 TD potential.

What I don't see is a Tandem with 3000 yard 28 TD potential in Green Bay. I see more of a 2500 yard 23 TD tandem and I honestly think we can get that with Adams and another WR. I'm not saying just any other WR obviously. It has to be the right one. Maybe we have that WR on our roster in MVS, EQ, or JMoore or maybe its a WR we sign in FA (I like John Brown myself) who would probably come cheaper and with less headaches than Brown. My point is even though Brown would add a great deal I don't think it is a as simple as saying we are adding another 1500 yards and 14 TDs to our stat sheet.

I think WR is a bigger need than most on here do but I don't think the way to address that need is by trading a 1st or 2nd round pick (for the Packers that would be 1 of 3 picks possible) for Antonio Brown. That is draft capital that would be better served improving other areas of need. A third rounder would intrigue me and if that were to happen I wouldn't cry about it but my preferred method to deal with what I see as a need at WR would be to continue to develop the 2nd year guys, sign a free agent (Like I said I like John Brown but I'm not sure he would be considered a replacement for Cobb in the slot) and draft a WR early either this year or next year with the idea that he will become our number 1 and not simply with the hope that maybe one day he will become a decent compliment to our number 1.

Side note I love the part of your post in bold but would only say its not time to start it, its been going on pretty much since the thread was started.
I don't think your analysis is that far off of anyones actually. I've said I might be inclinded to give a 3rd if they really really felt his head was on straight I wouldn't have to have as many assurances to just try for a 4th. I wouldn't give a 1st or 2nd for what would be an at best 2 years with him before I think he wears out his welcome and this first year is going to have growing pains still for this team at the very least.

I also think we have our "star" WR and while adding another would be nice, when we have OT, OG, DL, ILB, OLB, Safety and potentially another DB spot that need pretty quick attention, i'm not fond of sending a high pick for a luxury WR that could be a locker room cancer on a young team. We can have a very high fucntioning offense without AB. and having AB assures nothing. he's been with a HOF QB and solid team for almost a decade and has brought them zero titles. I don't think he just needs AR to get one. Its so much more than that and this team needs help in those other areas.

There is 1 football to go around and we already have our 1 player that it must go thru, that is Rodgers. I don't feel it is a must have to get a WR who think "he's the franchise" to make this offense work. Nobody is denying what he has physically. It can be debated just how much it would help us though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Were a 6-9-1 team so I am sure we can find a way to survive it.

The Packers want to improve though and trading for Brown could hinder the possibility if he quits once again.

I have a lot more respect for what Bell did than Brown.

I don't have any respect for either of their actions.

I'm a little surprised very few people (including the media) have mentioned the possibility of Beckham getting traded here. Glazer predicted Beckham will be traded. HOWEVER DO NOT CRITICIZE GLAZER ON TWITTER ABOUT THIS RUMOR!!!!!!!!

The Giants would only save $5 million in cap space by trading OBJ. Not gonna happen.

Of course you conventinently ignore the $39 million price tag included in trading for Brown.

D

Deleted member 6794

Uhmmm, when did I ignore it? I flatly stated that you would get him for about $12m a year for three years.

Well, so what should the Packers do to improve their more dire pressing needs this offseason after allocating more than $15 million in cap space towards Brown in your opinion???

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, so what should the Packers do to improve their more dire pressing needs this offseason after allocating more than $15 million in cap space towards Brown in your opinion???

Having two top-10 WRs on offense fixes a LOT of issues on offense. And, if the Packers were looking to sign a veteran WR for the slot, that would probably cost in the neighborhood of $7-8m per year, so really you're looking at upgrading from Adam Humphries to Antonio Brown for an extra $4-5 million a year. That's a freaking steal.

There are some (overblown in my opinion) concerns about his locker room fit but the financial cost of signing him is one of the major positives. There's no way to spin Antonio Brown for $12m a year as bad in ANY way for the cap.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are some (overblown in my opinion) concerns about his locker room fit but the financial cost of signing him is one of the major positives. There's no way to spin Antonio Brown for $12m a year as bad in ANY way for the cap.

I disagree that the concerns about Brown being a quitter are overblown though.

Reaction score
If the Antonio Brown locker room fit is overblown, then my lord I would hate to see what a real locker room issue would look like

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If the Antonio Brown locker room fit is overblown, then my lord I would hate to see what a real locker room issue would look like

See the "Seattle Seahawks" and they still won a Super Bowl with guys punching each other out before the big game.

This Antonio Brown thing is nothing.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's middle ground between saying Antonio Brown will wreck your chemistry, and saying that the Antonio Brown thing is nothing. It's clearly not nothing. It also not might be the worst thing ever.

The Packers have to consider whether Brown at a high salary is worth the risk of his antics that are progressively getting worse. And that is undeniable, they are getting worse. He's also a great talent. If he were on a cheap contract, this wouldn't even be a discussion, go get him, but he's not, so the risk is undoubtedly higher.

I'll say this. If we got him, and he got the ball, and we were winning, I think the players would be fine with his antics. Start losing...and there will be issues. Serious issues. Anybody acting like this is an easy decision when we have a first time HC, a GM who's been on the job for two years, and a practically new owner is crazy. We aren't the Patriots. We know BB could probably handle this. We don't know if LaFleur could. It's a big risk.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To go off the subject of the thread, a #1 pick no.

I do not even know if getting him for a third is really worth the risk of possible locker room headache. There is already the Rodgers vs McCarthy drama and now "How is Rodgers going to get along with a new coach? How long that does honeymoon last?" They already have to make it through that period and putting AB in the middle of that could very possibly spoil that relationship even quicker than it already may. But I digress. Another real fear I have with AB is how much longer is he going to put up these numbers? He will be 31 by the time the season starts, he is NOT a big guy. 5'10" 180lbs. I don't want to discredit him by any means, I do not get to catch a lot of Pittsburgh games, but as soon as he slows down, how effective is he going to be? How fast do those numbers drop off? He isn't the size of Julio, AJ, Fitz, Hopkins, hell even Adams. So attitude aside, his age and lack of size to me is another factor to play into the already big risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.