Anders Carlson

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll also cost us 2 regular season games, which may turn a home playoff game into a road playoff game. He's had the entire offseason to work on his issues, and they still aren't fixed.
Yeah you and lambeau state it simply. No improvement, none. Hit a long one, miss a gimme. Not a formula for success.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that the prospects on any other team would be any better. We are facing a cutdown day decision because neither of our kickers has stepped up but neither one has folded either. Any other team that will be making a similar decision at this point will be in the same boat. Will the guy they decide to cut, be any better than the one we decide to keep? I doubt it. Kickers are like starting QBs. 1/3 are firmly entrenched. Another 1/3 are safe from scrutiny ( at least in the short term) and the final third are a bad performance or two away from being replaced. The difference is a starting QB will be demoted with a chance to possibly win his job back while the kicker will be unemployed. Any of our choices at this point are in the final 1/3 category.

Lets face it, when our choices at this point are Carlson, Joseph, or some other team's castoff no matter who we choose he is probably going to cost us a game or two.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that the prospects on any other team would be any better. We are facing a cutdown day decision because neither of our kickers has stepped up but neither one has folded either. Any other team that will be making a similar decision at this point will be in the same boat. Will the guy they decide to cut, be any better than the one we decide to keep? I doubt it. Kickers are like starting QBs. 1/3 are firmly entrenched. Another 1/3 are safe from scrutiny ( at least in the short term) and the final third are a bad performance or two away from being replaced. The difference is a starting QB will be demoted with a chance to possibly win his job back while the kicker will be unemployed. Any of our choices at this point are in the final 1/3 category.

Lets face it, when our choices at this point are Carlson, Joseph, or some other team's castoff no matter who we choose he is probably going to cost us a game or two.

Not at all...Crosby was less than good his young career and then when it clicked it clicked in a big way - especially with clutch moments. I think folks would be shocked to see that Anders hit a higher percentage of his FGs attempts than Crosby did.

The biggest part that is tough to compare is of course how CRosby PATs were chipshots most of his career...and PATs is the area Anders for sure has to clean up if he is going to be on the roster as our kicker.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing for me with Carlson is that an entire off season it doesn't seem that he's improved on anything or fixed any of his problems from last season. At this point I've got to think it's not going to happen.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not at all...Crosby was less than good his young career and then when it clicked it clicked in a big way - especially with clutch moments. I think folks would be shocked to see that Anders hit a higher percentage of his FGs attempts than Crosby did.

The biggest part that is tough to compare is of course how CRosby PATs were chipshots most of his career...and PATs is the area Anders for sure has to clean up if he is going to be on the roster as our kicker.
Had Gute not rotated in so many K's this offseason, I would have more faith in the idea that the Packers are confident that Anders will work out the kinks. However, it was pretty obvious that the confidence level of that happening has dwindled quite a bit. Heck, just keeping Hale as their IPP player tells you something. Although I guess that also tells us that Odumegwu probably was viewed as someone with no chance of ever playing.

I have no idea who will be kicking for the Packers in Brazil, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is a guy that isn't currently on the roster.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing for me with Carlson is that an entire off season it doesn't seem that he's improved on anything or fixed any of his problems from last season. At this point I've got to think it's not going to happen.

I actually personally do see a better form and kicking out of him - Anders of last year wouldn't even have made it a competition with Joseph IMO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had Gute not rotated in so many K's this offseason, I would have more faith in the idea that the Packers are confident that Anders will work out the kinks. However, it was pretty obvious that the confidence level of that happening has dwindled quite a bit. Heck, just keeping Hale as their IPP player tells you something. Although I guess that also tells us that Odumegwu probably was viewed as someone with no chance of ever playing.

I have no idea who will be kicking for the Packers in Brazil, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is a guy that isn't currently on the roster.

The tactic of exposing both Anders and Joseph to waivers - likely reclaiming one to PS and could elevate for gameday while searching for an additional is a very valid option/game to play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The tactic of exposing both Anders and Joseph to waivers - likely reclaiming one to PS and could elevate for gameday while searching for an additional is a very valid option/game to play.
Yup. I just don't see another team grabbing either of them. Gives you the ability to keep a 7th WR or extra RB, OL, etc.

While I like the new PS rules, I wish that initially getting players to it, was easier and less risky. Like "Here is our 53 man roster and here is the 16 man PS, for now."

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. I just don't see another team grabbing either of them. Gives you the ability to keep a 7th WR or extra RB, OL, etc.

While I like the new PS rules, I wish that initially getting players to it, was easier and less risky. Like "Here is our 53 man roster and here is the 16 man PS, for now."

Player's union likely would want PS contracts to be higher if that were the case..which I wouldn't be opposed to depending on what that meant.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If someone did take one of them; i'd bet it would be Joseph. And then we would have Anders. Who has never been very good in college or the pros. The naysayers have so far been proven right in thinking that was a weird draft pick.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If someone did take one of them; i'd bet it would be Joseph. And then we would have Anders. Who has never been very good in college or the pros. The naysayers have so far been proven right in thinking that was a weird draft pick.
Agreed that Carlson doesn't seem to be taking the next step.

However, IIRC that's not true about him not being good in college. I thought that he was good and then hurt his knee. He was drafted on the potential he displayed prior to injury.

Checking my draft files, I stand corrected:

Strengths​

Lance Zerlein, NFL.com — Brother is an NFL kicker. Possesses good size and has made kicks in high-pressure situations. Was 4 of 4 from 40-plus yards in dramatic 2019 Iron Bowl win over Alabama.

CBS Sports — Never missed an attempt inside 30 yards outside of three extra point attempts. Brother, Daniel, is an NFL kicker. Auburn trusted his leg to make long attempts.

Weaknesses​

Lance Zerlein, NFL.com — Career make rate of just 71.8 percent. Struggled to find consistent kickoff depth in 2022. Made just 5 of 17 field goals from 50-plus yards, going 0 for 4 since 2021. Highly inconsistent on mid-range kicks. Slow operation time leads to blocked kicks.

CBS Sports — Successfully converted just 53.6% of 40-plus-yard field goal attempts Accuracy on field goal and kickoff attempts

Overall​

Lance Zerlein, NFL.com — Carlson has made kicks in big moments and appeared to be tracking in a good direction back in 2020. However, he has struggled to establish consistency on mid-range kicks and has been poor on kicks from 50 yards and beyond. He’s had too many kicks blocked during his career and doesn’t sport a booming leg on kickoffs.

The 33rd Team — Older brother Daniel Carlson was an All-American kicker at Auburn and is now with the Las Vegas Raiders. Anders Carlson was the starting kicker for the past five seasons at Auburn. He made 71 percent of his kicks with a career-long of 53. He had five kicks blocked in his career.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Let me ask you this, how satisfied will you be if the starting kicker in Brazil is Joseph or Carlson? Sticking with either one is a total crap shoot and could end up being a total crap show. I'd roll the dice, cut both, know 1 or both will be available on Wed, if not a better option.

No matter what happens, I think between now and Feb. the Packers kicking game could end up being a weakness.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If someone did take one of them; i'd bet it would be Joseph.
Hasn't he been in the league long enough to not be on waivers but a FA?
Agreed that Carlson doesn't seem to be taking the next step.
I just hope he needs a shot of confidence like Gute and Rich calling him in and saying "You're our guy for the next few months. Don't disappoint us."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hasn't he been in the league long enough to not be on waivers but a FA?
Yeah, I think if he is cut, he is free to sign with any team that he wants to, but will anyone offer him a contract?

Players with less than four accrued NFL seasons are subject to waivers, while those with four or more accrued seasons are cut/released and considered unrestricted free agents. They are free to sign with any team immediately.

Any player with fewer than four accrued NFL seasons becomes subject to waivers for 24 hours and can not sign with a team unless they go unclaimed.

Any player who is awarded to a team off of waivers is required to be placed on the 53-man roster (initially).

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I seem to recall a 2-3 game minimum.
Not sure on that. The PS rules to get onto and off, the pay, protection, etc. have gotten kind of complicated and I haven't set them to memory.

I think I posted this site already, but was one of the better explanations I have read.

The Packers are 25th on the waiver claim order, so slim pickings once again.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me ask you this, how satisfied will you be if the starting kicker in Brazil is Joseph or Carlson? Sticking with either one is a total crap shoot and could end up being a total crap show. I'd roll the dice, cut both, know 1 or both will be available on Wed, if not a better option.

No matter what happens, I think between now and Feb. the Packers kicking game could end up being a weakness.
You didn't ask me but I will answer your question bridge keeper. I am not afraid.

I would probably be equally satisfied with Joseph, Carlson or whoever else might be available. Equally satisfied does not mean satisfied however. I would prefer a better option than any of the above but I'm afraid it just isn't there. Obviously Gute/coaches aren't sold on either of our two guys being the answer or the other one would have been cut. Any kicker battling for a position on any other team will be in the same spot. Good enough to still be battling but not good enough to have won the position. If they end up getting cut that means at least one GM thought they were the lesser of two not really good options.

I agree very much with your last statement. That's why I said no matter who we choose at this point there is a very good chance he will cost us a game or two.

What helps me sleep at night is the fact that it is possible that whoever we choose will be much better than he appears to be right now and my fears of a blown game or two do not come to fruition.

totally unrelated but kind of related my bold prediction for this season is Brandon Aubrey does not finish in the top 10 in FG accuracy. I'd still take him though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You didn't ask me but I will answer your question bridge keeper. I am not afraid.

I would probably be equally satisfied with Joseph, Carlson or whoever else might be available. Equally satisfied does not mean satisfied however. I would prefer a better option than any of the above but I'm afraid it just isn't there. Obviously Gute/coaches aren't sold on either of our two guys being the answer or the other one would have been cut. Any kicker battling for a position on any other team will be in the same spot. Good enough to still be battling but not good enough to have won the position. If they end up getting cut that means at least one GM thought they were the lesser of two not really good options.

I agree very much with your last statement. That's why I said no matter who we choose at this point there is a very good chance he will cost us a game or two.

What helps me sleep at night is the fact that it is possible that whoever we choose will be much better than he appears to be right now and my fears of a blown game or two do not come to fruition.

totally unrelated but kind of related my bold prediction for this season is Brandon Aubrey does not finish in the top 10 in FG accuracy. I'd still take him though.

We are on the same page. Given how I feel about whether it ends up being Carlson, Joseph or JAG, I am feeling stronger about cutting both of our current kickers and then bringing back whomever they feel is best and still available.

Unless a miracle happens, I don't think a great option is going to fall into Gute's lap. Given that it takes time to get a LS, holder and kicker in sync, probably bringing back one of the current kickers is the smart move for now. However, I wouldn't waste one of the initial 53 spots on him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are on the same page. Given how I feel about whether it ends up being Carlson, Joseph or JAG, I am feeling stronger about cutting both of our current kickers and then bringing back whomever they feel is best and still available.

Unless a miracle happens, I don't think a great option is going to fall into Gute's lap. Given that it takes time to get a LS, holder and kicker in sync, probably bringing back one of the current kickers is the smart move for now. However, I wouldn't waste one of the initial 53 spots on him.
I wouldn't be opposed to your strategy but I just don't see them doing that. The advantage would be to have one less guy to have to cut for 2 more days. I don't see that as much of an advantage.

our choices at the moment besides Carlson and Joseph seem to be Lucas Havrisik and Spencer Schrader. It looks like they are the only two kickers cut so far.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't be opposed to your strategy but I just don't see them doing that. The advantage would be to have one less guy to have to cut for 2 more days. I don't see that as much of an advantage.

our choices at the moment besides Carlson and Joseph seem to be Lucas Havrisik and Spencer Schrader. It looks like they are the only two kickers cut so far.

I could be wrong, but a player doesn't have to clear waivers to be put on the Practice Squad from the 53. You also can protect 4 players that are on the PS. So lets just say that the Packers are trying to choose between Cox or Mosby. But if they cut both kickers, they can keep both of those DE's. So they cut both kickers, keep both DE's and before the Brazil game, put Cox, Mosby or another player on the PS and activate the kicker they went with.

Shrader was perfect in the preseason with Indy. Granted only 2-2 on FG's and 4-4 on XP', but I am seeing the average distance of the 2 FG's was 48 yards. However, his college kicking really sucked!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but a player doesn't have to clear waivers to be put on the Practice Squad from the 53. You also can protect 4 players that are on the PS. So lets just say that the Packers are trying to choose between Cox or Mosby. But if they cut both kickers, they can keep both of those DE's. So they cut both kickers, keep both DE's and before the Brazil game, put Cox, Mosby or another player on the PS and activate the kicker they went with.

Shrader was perfect in the preseason with Indy. Granted only 2-2 on FG's and 4-4 on XP', but I am seeing the average distance of the 2 FG's was 48 yards. However, his college kicking really sucked!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Cade York I think got released too no? I wouldn't be against us just starting fresh with another young leg and see if Anders wants to be on our PS should he clear....I got to see Schrader in person in Notre Dame...he isn't a bomber but he is consistent from about 40 in.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Members online