Anders Carlson

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I assume you mean PS and sure its possible. Especially now that it is expanded to 16 players. If kicker is that much of a concern I would have no issues with using one of those spots for one if you thought he had the potential and were worried about your starter

From what I gather STs practice pretty much as their own entity. I think that's part of why many teams have long snappers and the punter doing the holding so the regular center and backup QB can participate in the team aspect of practice. I mean how long is practice? If a team can spare the time for 3 kickers to compete during camp I don't see why they would have a problem during the season. Its not like a kicker is lining up kicking 30 kicks during practice. At least I don't think they do. You don't want them wearing out their leg.

We have become THAT team, that Captain and I used to argue back and forth about. Me saying that you don't want to be a team that has no faith in their kicker and are constantly rotating who is kicking, relying on UDFA's and has-beens.

Even if you "stash" one on your Practice Squad, odds are the guy is at best, the 33rd best/worst kicker in the NFL. If that guy ends up kicking for you, than he probably replaced the 32nd best/worst kicker in the NFL.

All we can really hope for at this point is that whomever is the kicker for the Packers at the start of the 2024 season, he exceeds ALL expectations, since I doubt any of us will have high expectations for said player.

Reaction score
I assume you mean PS and sure its possible. Especially now that it is expanded to 16 players. If kicker is that much of a concern I would have no issues with using one of those spots for one if you thought he had the potential and were worried about your starter

From what I gather STs practice pretty much as their own entity. I think that's part of why many teams have long snappers and the punter doing the holding so the regular center and backup QB can participate in the team aspect of practice. I mean how long is practice? If a team can spare the time for 3 kickers to compete during camp I don't see why they would have a problem during the season. It’s not like a kicker is lining up kicking 30 kicks during practice. At least I don't think they do. You don't want them wearing out their leg.
Thanks.
I guess in my mind it takes a minute to get synchronized. IF we don’t keep Joseph on PS, then you start fresh in any scenario where we need a replacement K to step in.
I’m just not sure that’s a good idea to bring in someone completely new at Kicker, during a season that he could cost a game or two.

I don’t think holding Joseph on PS is a bad idea. Our 2 Kickers are already familiar with each other and it’s more subtle than going outside. That I think would mess with Carlson’s head more so than just holding Joseph in the shadows like we already are.

Last edited:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Every now and again, God's finger reaches down and touches an NFL G.M. - I remember that Conway landed 3 or 4 missed field goal attempts at nearly the same exact spot in the end zone. One of the great cartoon "fax" (remember those?) of the period showed Conway, from the back, standing at a bodily fluid release fixture (the filters wouldn't allow me to type ******) in a men's bathroom missing short and wide right.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every now and again, God's finger reaches down and touches an NFL G.M. - I remember that Conway landed 3 or 4 missed field goal attempts at nearly the same exact spot in the end zone. One of the great cartoon "fax" (remember those?) of the period showed Conway, from the back, standing at a bodily fluid release fixture (the filters wouldn't allow me to type ******) in a men's bathroom missing short and wide right.

I don't remember that weeds but it's pretty ****ing funny!

Reaction score
Again. It’s such a tough call. There’s not a huge difference between Joseph and Carlson right now. That said, that Joseph 55 yarder? Right down the middle. Joseph likely would’ve made it from 58 yards etc.
The similar Carlson 54 yarder? Was feet from the right cross bar AND bottom crossbar. Maybe maybe good from 55 yards, best case.
Joseph won the Long Kick yesterday by a slight margin. Then the 32 yard Carlson miss? If it was an anomaly no big deal. It’s not an anomaly! He missed 5 of those XPA last season. 1 or 2 misses would be normal. 3-4 might be acceptable. 5 misses at 33 yards? Thats concerning level. Chalk it up to a Rookie season. But..: Then to come out in Preseason and miss a 32 yarder when all eyes are watching is just frustrating. I’m not sure why they were celebrating like he made it?? It was embarrassing and I wouldn’t be smiling about it

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Again. It’s such a tough call. There’s not a huge difference between Joseph and Carlson right now. That said, that Joseph 55 yarder? Right down the middle. Joseph likely would’ve made it from 58 yards etc.
The similar Carlson 54 yarder? Was feet from the right cross bar AND bottom crossbar. Maybe maybe good from 55 yards, best case.
Joseph won the Long Kick yesterday by a slight margin. Then the 32 yard Carlson miss? If it was an anomaly no big deal. It’s not an anomaly! He missed 5 of those XPA last season. 1 or 2 misses would be normal. 3-4 might be acceptable. 5 misses at 33 yards? Thats concerning level. Chalk it up to a Rookie season. But..: Then to come out in Preseason and miss a 32 yarder when all eyes are watching is just frustrating. I’m not sure why they were celebrating like he made it?? It was embarrassing and I wouldn’t be smiling about it
In my opinion, Joseph strikes the ball better, the flight of the ball looks better, plus he seems to have a stronger leg (61 yd career high FG).
As for Carlson, he is younger, they invested a draft pick in him last year, he's cheaper to employ, and the long term potential is there.
I was on board with Carlson to win this job all the way up to that miss yesterday in the 4th Qtr. It was bad, I mean it didn't have a chance from the start, missed wide right by at least 10 yds.... from 32 yds out. It brought back a lot of bad memories from last year, it felt like groundhog day all over again.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion, Joseph strikes the ball better, the flight of the ball looks better, plus he seems to have a stronger leg (61 yd career high FG).
As for Carlson, he is younger, they invested a draft pick in him last year, he's cheaper to employ, and the long term potential is there.
Joseph costs roughly $300k more than Carlson, not enough to matter, imho. Possible they cut both, bring one back to PS, & sign a Tuesday cut?

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Joseph costs roughly $300k more than Carlson, not enough to matter, imho. Possible they cut both, bring one back to PS, & sign a Tuesday cut?

No question about it right now its going to cost us a playoff game or even worse the big one. Joseph needs to get the nod I think. No one will go after Carlson - stash him on the ps.
They will cut one or both, with neither going on the PS. The international player Hale will be on the PS, and they won't carry 3 kickers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They will cut one or both, with neither going on the PS. The international player Hale will be on the PS, and they won't carry 3 kickers.
Well the "good" news, whomever they cut, will probably still be available for quite awhile.

Between the K and #2 QB, Gute definitely is in a conundrum as to what to do.

If there is a team out there that has a solid #2 K, it won't surprise me to see Gute trade a 6th or 7th rounder on him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

By Jove I think you might be on to something!

Someone call Gute, he just needs to add these to the kickers urinals! They are even made in Packer colors!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Ha! I just looked at that ****** image I posted, is that a wire attached to the football, so when it is hit with a stream, it moves? I hope so, otherwise I wouldn't want to tell you what my second guess as to what it is, was.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was on board with Carlson to win this job all the way up to that miss yesterday in the 4th Qtr. It was bad, I mean it didn't have a chance from the start, missed wide right by at least 10 yds.... from 32 yds out. It brought back a lot of bad memories from last year, it felt like groundhog day all over again.
I was on board with Carlson as well. And while the 33 yard miss was "just one kick", OS points put he's had "just one kick" missed on what is on XPA 5 times now, going back to last year.

But that miss yesterday, and for some reason I was watching, was a slice from the start.

Every kick is important when you're fighting for a job, so I get that there's pressure. But not near the pressure of a walk-off attempt in the playoffs, or in any game that counts.

So my best day-after-the-game quarterbacking says cut Carlson, keep Joseph, and look for cutdowns. If they really want Carlson, they can find him working checkout at Menard's. (That would be a great story!) This is how delusional I've become over the kicking game.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Someone call Gute, he just needs to add these to the kickers urinals! They are even made in Packer colors!

This just my be symbolic of Carlson’s career If he’s not careful

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

How come you could write the word ****** and the filter tagged me? I feel put upon .... I want justice.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Carlson's biggest mistake yesterday wasn't his missed chip shot. It was not walking up to MLF after he made his 54 yarder and saying "I made it coach, but didn't quite get my normal distance. I'm feeling a little sick, probably just the flu, but I better sit out the rest of this preseason game."

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No question about it right now its going to cost us a playoff game or even worse the big one. Joseph needs to get the nod I think. No one will go after Carlson - stash him on the ps.
I think he'll also cost us 2 regular season games, which may turn a home playoff game into a road playoff game. He's had the entire offseason to work on his issues, and they still aren't fixed.

Members online