Anders Carlson

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching tapes of the kickers in action, both at practice, in game environment, I'd say we don't have someone we can trust to make the crucial kick the vast majority of time. People judged Crosby on one kick in the end, after bemoaning is league below average percentage, and threw him under the bus. Yet, I'd sure as hell take him over anyone I've seen them trot out there since then.

Hope for a free agent being out there who knows which direction to kick the ball without GPS, so the Packers can grab him.
Crosby was a good example, IMO, of where statistics don't help much. I'm just going by my experience, but he was very reliable from 40 in, even 50 in. I don't recall feeling like praying when he came on the field. I'm sure stats can be used to prove even that isn't correct, but the decision to pray or not is based on feeling and that can't be quantified.

Well that still doesn't solve the current problem. Milani accurately points out that there were few kicking opportunities Sunday night. Whatever Gluten decides, I'm more likely than not to be praying when a FG attempt is pending. Maybe instead of praying I need to sacrifice a goat or sheep. Oh wait, Vikings' fans have ritual sacrifice as part of their culture. Back to praying, just not to Odin and Thor.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Too bad last Sunday we could not get a number of attempts for our kickers. This makes the decision even tougher.

They could have attempted plenty of FG's on Sunday, odds are though, neither of them would have made 80-100 yarders ;)

The Packers also missed out on evaluating how each kicker did on kickoffs. The Packers only kicked off once the entire game.

While I do think attempts during a "game situation" is important, I doubt the atmosphere that is provided during a preseason game, adds anymore pressure to both of these guys possibly kicking for their NFL careers in practice. With final cutdowns now less than a week away, each kick in practice gets more important.

Speaking of kickoffs, that actually might be what decides who they keep between Anders and Joseph. Possibly, they keep the guy that can do what they want under these new kickoff rules, were accuracy seems to be much more important than just booming a long kick out of the EZ.

If I had to place odds on who the Packers kicker will be, it would be this:

Anders: 35% chance

Joseph: 30%

Another Guy: 35%

Last edited:
Reaction score
They could have attempted plenty of FG's on Sunday, odds are though, neither of them would have made 80-100 yarders ;)

The Packers also missed out on evaluating how each kicker did on kickoffs. The Packers only kicked off once the entire game.

While I do think attempts during a "game situation" is important, I doubt the atmosphere that is provided during a preseason game, adds anymore pressure to both of these guys possibly kicking for their NFL careers in practice. With final cutdowns now less than a week away, each kick in practice gets more important.

Speaking of kickoffs, that actually might be what decides who they keep between Anders and Joseph. Possibly, they keep the guy that can do what they want under these new kickoff rules, were accuracy seems to be much more important than just booming a long kick out of the EZ.

I’m going Anders 65%
Another guy 20%
Joseph 15%

Anders was 4/5 yesterday
Joseph was 2/5 but 1 went wide right and another went wide left, which is more troubling for me than a close miss at the same spot.

As of now Carlson looks like he is respectable. Floating around low 80’s% throughout camp and PS
The other 2 Kickers brought in are not doing anything to help their cause

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One difference between Anders and Crosby was that Crosby was a very good college kicker. Anders not so much.

Reaction score
From Sports Illustrated today

“At that point, between practices and games, Joseph was 51-of-63 and incumbent Anders Carlson was 49-of-61.
On Tuesday, it all fell apart.

All three kickers got their shot. During the first series, Carlson was good from 41 and 45 yards, rookie Alex Hale was good from 43 and 45 and Joseph was wide right from 43 and good from 41.

During the second series, Carlson hit the right upright from 47 but made the 33-yard extra point. Hale made the extra point but was wide left from 49. Joseph was wide right from 49 and wide left from 47.

Finally, it was the 2-minute drill. After Jordan Love’s drive stalled at the 28, all three kickers got their shot from 46. Carlson was good, Hale was wide right and Joseph was good.

Added together, Carlson was 4-of-5, Hale was 3-of-5 and Joseph was 2-of-5.

On the practice field this summer, Carlson is 53-of-66 (80.3 percent) and Joseph is 53-of-67 (79.1 percent). With preseason added, Carlson is 55-of-68 (80.9 percent) and Joseph is 54-of-69 (78.3 percent).

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think when they are so close % wise you have to look at mechanics and who is at least comfortably making them when he makes them. If the percentages are unacceptable; they need to start looking hard at the kickers that are going to be released. If they have been really looking; they should have a good idea who.

Reaction score
I think when they are so close % wise you have to look at mechanics and who is at least comfortably making them when he makes them. If the percentages are unacceptable; they need to start looking hard at the kickers that are going to be released. If they have been really looking; they should have a good idea who.
I noticed Carlson hit from 33,41,43, and 46
Otherwise, he won the day with 4/5 and that one 47 yard miss being very close (hit the post)

At Denver Joseph missed Wide Right. I read somewhere it was so wide it even missed the net. For me anyway, big difference between missing a 47 yarder by deflection off the Post and missing heck n gone from the target posts. If I recall properly, in Denver they were playing in the rain, the adds a little wrinkle there.

So far this season, Carlson (80.9%)is close to pacing Crosby’s career FG area (81.8%) He just needs to make slight improvement and keep hitting those XPA and he’d be ok.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed Carlson’s only miss yesterday was a 47 yarder that hit the post. Otherwise he won the day with 4/5

At Denver Joseph missed Wide Right. I read somewhere it was so wide it even missed the net. For me anyway, big difference between missing a 47 yarder by deflection off the Post and missing hard out of bounds. Although if I recall in Denver they were playing in the rain, the adds a little wrinkle there.
After all the back and forth we've had on this topic, the basic problem hasn't changed. GB has an average to below-average kicker to start the season (and I'm going with Carlson). Sure they can bring in other guys, but to what end?

Give Carlson this year to prove himself. I know, I know, this team aspires to great things and an average kicker hardly fits. There just aren't other options right now, and better options are unlikely to occur before the team flies to São Paulo.

Roll with it and hope the O and D are improved enough that not many games will be decided by kicks.

On with the season. And besides, I think the question of who will back up Love is much more interesting.

Reaction score
After all the back and forth we've had on this topic, the basic problem hasn't changed. GB has an average to below-average kicker to start the season (and I'm going with Carlson). Sure they can bring in other guys, but to what end?

Give Carlson this year to prove himself. I know, I know, this team aspires to great things and an average kicker hardly fits. There just aren't other options right now, and better options are unlikely to occur before the team flies to São Paulo.

Roll with it and hope the O and D are improved enough that not many games will be decided by kicks.

On with the season. And besides, I think the question of who will back up Love is much more interesting.
That’s kinda where I’m at. Upon review, he’s a hair above last season so there’s some progression. As someone else mentioned. Just 2 or 3 more makes off last seasons numbers and he’s good.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby was a good example, IMO, of where statistics don't help much. I'm just going by my experience, but he was very reliable from 40 in, even 50 in. I don't recall feeling like praying when he came on the field. I'm sure stats can be used to prove even that isn't correct, but the decision to pray or not is based on feeling and that can't be quantified.

Well that still doesn't solve the current problem. Milani accurately points out that there were few kicking opportunities Sunday night. Whatever Gluten decides, I'm more likely than not to be praying when a FG attempt is pending. Maybe instead of praying I need to sacrifice a goat or sheep. Oh wait, Vikings' fans have ritual sacrifice as part of their culture. Back to praying, just not to Odin and Thor.
Teams go into the preseason looking to put players to the test. E.G. 4th downs, 2 point conversions, Going for the win instead of the tie. And here we wonder that maybe this week we should get across midfield somewhere. Stop the drive and attempt as many FGs as possible. LOL!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Practice is a good test but you cannot replicate the mental aspect of a crucial long range kick whether it be on a nice afternoon in September or the NFC Championship in January.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since Hale is a foreign player, they released the DT from Africa, and designated Hale as the foreign exemption player. That might indicate that they see some potential in developing Hale, and will stash him and work with him, to see if he reaches a point that they can release Carlson. At this point, that's the only I can see as to why they would keep him around. Could be raw talent, needing a lot of repetitions with a good coach, who can develop that accuracy in him. Time will tell.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since Hale is a foreign player, they released the DT from Africa, and designated Hale as the foreign exemption player. That might indicate that they see some potential in developing Hale, and will stash him and work with him, to see if he reaches a point that they can release Carlson. At this point, that's the only I can see as to why they would keep him around. Could be raw talent, needing a lot of repetitions with a good coach, who can develop that accuracy in him. Time will tell.
If you are going to have the roster exemption it kind of makes sense to use it on a position of weakness.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If he's the IPP I think he can only be on the PS for this season. He can't be activated. Since Joseph did not clearly outkick Anders, I think he's done. Unless someone gets cut or Missin Crosby makes a return I think the job is Anders'.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's the IPP I think he can only be on the PS for this season. He can't be activated. Since Joseph did not clearly outkick Anders, I think he's done. Unless someone gets cut or Missin Crosby makes a return I think the job is Anders'.
Agreed.

Then there's the resigning of Pearson, who is strictly a FB. I know they have been working their #3 TE at that spot, but I haven't heard good things about it. Also, I believe that was the role that would save Dillon's job, if he doesn't get #2 as the RB. Being able to swing over to FB as well, was job security.

With Dillon having a minor injury, it makes me wonder where that goes. Signing Pearson could be another indication that Dillon could be let go at cut down. Just throwing it out, not confident of anything regarding it. But, Gute & LeFleur do like having multiple usage tools in their belt, rather than too many players dedicated to one spot on the roster.

I also think that we won't have any free agents we brought in for tryouts make this team. There's just too much experienced and drafted talent that there won't be room for them, except on the practice squad. I think they're going to play it tight to the vest this year, because it's going to take one more draft to fill those depth needs.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another rule change I just stumbled across. In 2024 a player on the PS with the IPP designation can't be signed to an active roster but he can be elevated for up to 3 games.

I think they end up rolling with Anders again this season and I'm not as up in arms about it as most fans seem to be. I do think that Gute will be paying a lot closer attention to who is available though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see where Washington just traded a 7th round pick for a kicker. And the kicker's history didn't look very good. Still, I'm hoping there is a kicker in a competition that looks good. Maybe we could get him for a 6th rounder today. It would be worth it imho. The sooner the better. Maybe there just isn't anybody. And I'll just be leaning like everyone else as the Swede's ball approaches the goalposts.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that Joseph hasn't looked better than Carlson ends the conversation. One of them could rise to the top this week/weekend, but the wind doesn't appear to be blowing in that direction. Carlson will be our PK until/unless a better option is released by another team at cut-downs.

One thing that I can't see during camp is how well the snaps and holds are this season. The snaps were atrocious last season and absolutely part of Carlson's problem. Anyone disputing that needs to go back and watch all of the snaps. Quite a few came in whobbly, off target, or skipping on the ground. Whelan did incredible working covering up mistakes, but don't underestimate what seeing a bad snap does to a kicker the split second before they make contact with the ball. I think that crossed up Carlson most of the season, leading to his mental focus issues. It would be like giving a rookie QB and center who routinely steps on the QB's foot after the exchange. It eventually gets into the QB's head whether he gets stepped on or not.

That said, I'm surprised that they haven't searched the world for a better long snapper. Maybe they've found their Rob Davis of the future already but they need to make sure that any young kicker has the right snapping/holding team setting him up for success.

Reaction score
The fact that Joseph hasn't looked better than Carlson ends the conversation. One of them could rise to the top this week/weekend, but the wind doesn't appear to be blowing in that direction. Carlson will be our PK until/unless a better option is released by another team at cut-downs.

One thing that I can't see during camp is how well the snaps and holds are this season. The snaps were atrocious last season and absolutely part of Carlson's problem. Anyone disputing that needs to go back and watch all of the snaps. Quite a few came in whobbly, off target, or skipping on the ground. Whelan did incredible working covering up mistakes, but don't underestimate what seeing a bad snap does to a kicker the split second before they make contact with the ball. I think that crossed up Carlson most of the season, leading to his mental focus issues. It would be like giving a rookie QB and center who routinely steps on the QB's foot after the exchange. It eventually gets into the QB's head whether he gets stepped on or not.

That said, I'm surprised that they haven't searched the world for a better long snapper. Maybe they've found their Rob Davis of the future already but they need to make sure that any young kicker has the right snapping/holding team setting him up for success.
This might be a dumb question, but if we found a K that misses the cut elsewhere, can’t we stash 1 on ST? I suppose that’s unusual, but these are unusual times. Would that take away time from our starting trio? idk

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but if we found a K that misses the cut elsewhere, can’t we stash 1 on ST? I suppose that’s unusual, but these are unusual times. Would that take away time from our starting trio? idk
I assume you mean PS and sure its possible. Especially now that it is expanded to 16 players. If kicker is that much of a concern I would have no issues with using one of those spots for one if you thought he had the potential and were worried about your starter

From what I gather STs practice pretty much as their own entity. I think that's part of why many teams have long snappers and the punter doing the holding so the regular center and backup QB can participate in the team aspect of practice. I mean how long is practice? If a team can spare the time for 3 kickers to compete during camp I don't see why they would have a problem during the season. Its not like a kicker is lining up kicking 30 kicks during practice. At least I don't think they do. You don't want them wearing out their leg.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Was Rob Davis the long snapper for the Packers? I remember they had a v good snapper and now have been struggling to replace.

You make a good point - a successful XPA or FG is a total team effort, especially the snapper and holder. A very good holder can make up for a lot of bad snaps, but it's just better if the ball gets there as intended.

Other than a block, when a kick is missed, everyone looks to the kicker. So any missed kick is probably gonna mess with a rookie kicker. And these guys read the news. I'm sure Carlson has been thinking of that missed kick in Santa Clara all offseason, fair or not. The seasoned kickers shrug it off and go on.

On that topic, who is the Packers's LS this season? I'm assuming Clifford holds, just not sure.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PositionPlayerPlayerPlayer
K17 Anders Carlson2 Greg Joseph16 Alex Hale
P19 Daniel Whelan
H19 Daniel Whelan
PR25 Keisean Nixon11 Jayden Reed
KR25 Keisean Nixon11 Jayden Reed
LS42 Matt Orzech

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was Rob Davis the long snapper for the Packers? I remember they had a v good snapper and now have been struggling to replace.

Rob was in the 90s and early 2000s. Brett Goode was his long term replacement, though there were a few false starts here and there. He retired in 2018 and we've been up and down since then.

On that topic, who is the Packers's LS this season?

I honestly think our LS is on shakier ground that Anders is.

I'm assuming Clifford holds, just not sure.

It's almost always the punter in the modern league. All three specialist can wander off to the side and practice as a unit. Taking your no.2 QB means he can't take his already limited snaps in team sessions.

Members online