Anders Carlson

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some parts of that article don't sound very carefully written; some of the language seems a little sloppy. I wonder if those six plays were not in Green Bay's playbook at all, so Rodgers wouldn't have been able to audible into them at the line of scrimmage?

Maybe Rodgers wanted them added to the playbook and practiced during the week, but McCarthy refused to do it? But then again, how would that explain the part about "McCarthy called only a few of them one time each"?

That just doesn't add up. Rodgers pretty much audibled into whatever the hell he wanted to run by that point in his career, whenever he felt like it. McCarthy said once that he was audibling out of every 5 or 6 called plays in those last few years, and it frustrated the hell out of him. In fact, they looked like they were close to throwing hands a couple of times in that game, when Rodgers went back to the sideline.

I'd be curious to learn more about this one, because other Packer players said after that game that the two were just screaming at each other over the playcalling. I'm always ready for some fresh McCarthy/Rodgers gossip!
I was thinking the same thing. In 2014 he most certainly had the ability to audible. A lot of things went wrong in that game. What stands out to me were two "three and outs" after the huge INT in Q4. That seemed to be MM playing not to lose. I doubt that Rodgers ran any audibles in those two series, but who knows?

Actually, it seems like Rodgers was one of the few players not to blame for that epic collapse. They were so likely to win midway through Q4, Rodgers may have been ok running whatever MM called. Without all the other mistakes, too many to mention, two "three and outs" would still have been enough to win.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some parts of that article don't sound very carefully written; some of the language seems a little sloppy. I wonder if those six plays were not in Green Bay's playbook at all, so Rodgers wouldn't have been able to audible into them at the line of scrimmage?

Maybe Rodgers wanted them added to the playbook and practiced during the week, but McCarthy refused to do it? But then again, how would that explain the part about "McCarthy called only a few of them one time each"?

That just doesn't add up. Rodgers pretty much audibled into whatever the hell he wanted to run by that point in his career, whenever he felt like it. McCarthy said once that he was audibling out of every 5 or 6 called plays in those last few years, and it frustrated the hell out of him. In fact, they looked like they were close to throwing hands a couple of times in that game, when Rodgers went back to the sideline.

I'd be curious to learn more about this one, because other Packer players said after that game that the two were just screaming at each other over the playcalling. I'm always ready for some fresh McCarthy/Rodgers gossip!
Does anyone think that this ever happened with Brady and Belichick or Peyton or Drew Brees with their coaches. Favre had his run ins with Holmgren. Sherman let Favre do whatever he wanted.

Reaction score
Yeah Crosby won’t go into the HOF but I recall him being a very reliable kicker. Not a huge leg, he certainly was accurate. And he could deal with pressure.
I agree. He became better with pressure. The Dallas Divisional comes to mind. Look at his Postseason. He was 33/35 on Postseason Kicks and the 2021 blocked Kick I don’t pout in him. He has guys penetrating into the holder before he could get there. I don’t credit a K for never getting to the holder without interference.

97.0% Postseason inside 50
2/4 50+
70/70 100% XPM

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. He became better with pressure. The Dallas Divisional comes to mind. Look at his Postseason. He was 33/35 on Postseason Kicks and the 2021 blocked Kick I don’t pout in him. He has guys penetrating into the holder before he could get there. I don’t credit a K for never getting to the holder without interference.

2/4 50+
70/70 100% XPM
Interesting, actually amazing stats, and for once, from someone not trying to prove what an average kicker Crosby was. Thanks for the info OS. It just felt to me like he could be counted on in big situations and these numbers back it up, although even I am surprised at the consistency in the post-season.

I never once felt like I had to pray or sacrifice a goat or something when he was making a big kick. Carlson? Not so much.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone think that this ever happened with Brady and Belichick or Peyton or Drew Brees with their coaches. Favre had his run ins with Holmgren. Sherman let Favre do whatever he wanted.
Again I think Rodgers had pretty much free rein to audible by around 2009. To your point, the same had to be true with other HOF guys like Brady and Brees. Doesn't mean they didn't disagree or argue, but probably in private most of the time.

And FWIW, a smart coach will put a lot of trust into a QB as smart as Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning, and on.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Cowboys definitely found themselves a kicker last July (2023) when they signed Brandon Aubrey.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting point. I don't recall MM going for FGs a lot from 45+. Then again, it's easy to believe. MM was extremely risk averse.
That terrible (2012?) season for Crosby was actually marred by a whole bunch of times that MM trotted Crosby out for 50yd+ field goals, including a couple around 55yds. It seemed to me at the time that those messed with Crosby's confidence on the short ones and vice versa. It was all in his head.

2/4 50+
70/70 100% XPM
This is where CaptainWM would be going hog wild. He HATED Crosby and his marginal season stats. However, Crosby was clutch when it counted.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is where CaptainWM would be going hog wild. He HATED Crosby and his marginal season stats. However, Crosby was clutch when it counted.
Captain always complained about Crosby being way overpaid for what he called was "an average" kickers.

No kicker is ever perfect, but I've never understood the philosophy of how teams can pay marginal players at other positions more than what the highest paid kicker in the NFL makes. If I was an NFL GM, I would do everything I could to have a Justin Tucker kicking for me. You never know when that XP or FG is going to win you a game, but probably more times than that so-so TE or backup QB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree. I'm not intimidated by much but that's something I'd have to pay someone to do.
I consider myself to be pretty handy, but one thing I will never mess with are garage door springs. I will install my own furnace or water heater, but keep me away from those damn torsion springs!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I consider myself to be pretty handy, but one thing I will never mess with are garage door springs. I will install my own furnace or water heater, but keep me away from those damn torsion springs!

I purposely chose the extension springs. In my house garage I have and hate the torsion springs. I had to set them once with the bars. I've heard the newer designs are set with a drill or so the guy that sold me the door says. I didn't allot head room for that design.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That terrible (2012?) season for Crosby was actually marred by a whole bunch of times that MM trotted Crosby out for 50yd+ field goals, including a couple around 55yds. It seemed to me at the time that those messed with Crosby's confidence on the short ones and vice versa. It was all in his head.

Thanks EG. I didn't recall 2012 as Crosby's forgotten season, thought it was later, but no matter. And yeah, he was never terrific much beyond 50. As you say, he was clutch. I never sweated when he had to rekick that 51 yarder against Dallas in the playoffs in, 2016 I think or 2017. And CW really did have a bug up his *** for Crosby. That didn't line up well with the fanbase. I still miss Crosby.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I'm not intimidated by much but that's something I'd have to pay someone to do.
I learned the hard way. I actually made things worse whenever I tried DIY stuff. I can change a door lock, but my older brother completely finished his basement with a little help from my Dad. Not me. That's what contractors are for - and older brothers.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks EG. I didn't recall 2012 as Crosby's forgotten season, thought it was later, but no matter. And yeah, he was never terrific much beyond 50. As you say, he was clutch. I never sweated when he had to rekick that 51 yarder against Dallas in the playoffs in, 2016 I think or 2017. And CW really did have a bug up his *** for Crosby. That didn't line up well with the fanbase. I still miss Crosby.
He also made a crucial one from 49 or 50 against Seattle in the NFC Championship that sent it into OT.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He also made a crucial one from 49 or 50 against Seattle in the NFC Championship that sent it into OT.
Was that the 2014 game - the colossal collapse against the Hags? I know that game went into OT, but recall Seattle came back to tie it and not the other way around. Was there another NFCCG with Seattle? Just can't remember. Thanks milani.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was that the 2014 game - the colossal collapse against the Hags? I know that game went into OT, but recall Seattle came back to tie it and not the other way around. Was there another NFCCG with Seattle? Just can't remember. Thanks milani.
No. We had the sizeable lead and the INT should have put it away. But Wilson led them to 2 TDs and a 2 point conversion. And with barely a minute left we trailed 22-19. Hobbling Rodgers got us across midfield. And Crosby tied it 22-22. Wilson tossed a long TD pass to win it on the opening drive of OT.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of the problem with stats involving relatively low numbers such as FG% is that just a few of misses can mean the difference of 10 places in the leaderboard. You go 31/35 you are in the top 10 you miss 3 more and you are in the bottom 10. When evaluating a kicker its very important to look beyond just the numbers. Maybe all those misses were over 50 yards. Maybe all those misses came in cold windy games. Maybe the guy was perfect from under 40 yards or even 45. Certain people looked just at the % and determined Crosby was an average kicker and wasn't worth the money. Its like looking at Josh Allen and saying with all those INTs he is not worthy of a top 5 QB rating but then you look at his 44 TDs and remember that INT's are not the only stat by which to judge QBs

I never worried about Crosby. When he came onto the field I never thought "he's going to miss this" other than maybe a few times when it just didn't seem to be going the Packers way that day. Never because I doubted his ability.

Reaction score

Captain always complained about Crosby being way overpaid for what he called was "an average" kickers.

No kicker is ever perfect, but I've never understood the philosophy of how teams can pay marginal players at other positions more than what the highest paid kicker in the NFL makes. If I was an NFL GM, I would do everything I could to have a Justin Tucker kicking for me. You never know when that XP or FG is going to win you a game, but probably more times than that so-so TE or backup QB.
I 100% agree. I also agree with what KC just did lock him down at $6m per. Placekickers are typically the leading scoring position in each franchise. When you get an exceptional one lock him down. The difference between $3 or $5mil etc.. annual is almost trivial if you’ve got a 90% Kicker. I’d rather overpay a 90% guy 1.5Mil than be dinkering around with a guy who’s shanking XPA’s or who pushes a 45 yarder 5+ yards wide

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. We had the sizeable lead and the INT should have put it away. But Wilson led them to 2 TDs and a 2 point conversion. And with barely a minute left we trailed 22-19. Hobbling Rodgers got us across midfield. And Crosby tied it 22-22. Wilson tossed a long TD pass to win it on the opening drive of OT.
Thanks milani. That game was sooooo in the bag, until it wasn't. I recall reading somewhere that with 4 minutes left, the Seahawks had a 1% probability of winning or tying.

I did not recall that Seattle had taken the lead in regulation. Before that game it was "4th and 26" - but the Seattle loss put that game against the Eagles to shame. The Seattle loss had about ten "4th and 26" moments.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Part of the problem with stats involving relatively low numbers such as FG% is that just a few of misses can mean the difference of 10 places in the leaderboard. You go 31/35 you are in the top 10 you miss 3 more and you are in the bottom 10. When evaluating a kicker its very important to look beyond just the numbers. Maybe all those misses were over 50 yards. Maybe all those misses came in cold windy games. Maybe the guy was perfect from under 40 yards or even 45. Certain people looked just at the % and determined Crosby was an average kicker and wasn't worth the money. Its like looking at Josh Allen and saying with all those INTs he is not worthy of a top 5 QB rating but then you look at his 44 TDs and remember that INT's are not the only stat by which to judge QBs

I never worried about Crosby. When he came onto the field I never thought "he's going to miss this" other than maybe a few times when it just didn't seem to be going the Packers way that day. Never because I doubted his ability.
Exactly.

I will also throw in this:

There are 4 parts to a FG/XP. The snap, the hold, the blocking and the kick. All it takes is 1 of those 4 things, by 1 of 11 players, to be off and a kick is missed. Who gets blamed by most fans? The Kicker usually.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks milani. That game was sooooo in the bag, until it wasn't. I recall reading somewhere that with 4 minutes left, the Seahawks had a 1% probability of winning or tying.

I did not recall that Seattle had taken the lead in regulation. Before that game it was "4th and 26" - but the Seattle loss put that game against the Eagles to shame. The Seattle loss had about ten "4th and 26" moments.
Horrific. Yes, you can put it on the botched onside kick or Peppers telling his teammate to go down during the INT return or McCarthy playing it too safe after that or letting the Seahawks score a TD on a fake FG or allowing a 2 point conversion on a Hail Mary. The 12th man prevailed like the 4th and 26 did 11 years earlier. Lot of sad season endings. I ask myself how Lombardi prevailed in these postseason classics 9 of 10 times even when it looked bleak.

Reaction score
Exactly.

I will also throw in this:

There are 4 parts to a FG/XP. The snap, the hold, the blocking and the kick. All it takes is 1 of those 4 things, by 1 of 11 players, to be off and a kick is missed. Who gets blamed by most fans? The Kicker usually.
Exactly. We saw that even a long tenured Kicker like Crosby could suffer from any 1 of those being weak. So it takes a minute to get synchronized.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching tapes of the kickers in action, both at practice, in game environment, I'd say we don't have someone we can trust to make the crucial kick the vast majority of time. People judged Crosby on one kick in the end, after bemoaning is league below average percentage, and threw him under the bus. Yet, I'd sure as hell take him over anyone I've seen them trot out there since then.

Hope for a free agent being out there who knows which direction to kick the ball without GPS, so the Packers can grab him.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. We saw that even a long tenured Kicker like Crosby could suffer from any 1 of those being weak. So it takes a minute to get synchronized.
Too bad last Sunday we could not get a number of attempts for our kickers. This makes the decision even tougher.

Members online