AJ Dillon

Reaction score
I really wish him the best. He’s really good guy and player.
Hope he can spend time with those kiddos

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised they just straight IR-ed him w/o the return designation. With only a 1 year contract, I have to wonder if there is something more serious than they are letting on.

Or if an injury settlement is coming. Or if there is weird verbiage in the qualifying offer that prevents a settlement?

Or if they legitimately like him and want the option of making another qualifying offer next year.

Reaction score
I know he had a Stinger. I think it was more serious than they first let on. He got continually clobbered in the Browns game.
Those neck injuries can be dangerous if not taken seriously. This might be just proceeding with supreme caution so as not to put him in worse condition.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He also got a stinger in the Vikings game last year, so that is two neck injuries in 9mo. It's not hard to imagine that the doctors waved a red flag about something.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dang… I just came across this. I’m def not looking forward to playing against Aaron Jones in Minn, but I thought it was the right move to pick AJ Dillon over him as to which back you should’ve kept. Also seemed to be a genuinely good human being.

Hate to see a young guy injured….especially at RB the way the position is as under-valued as it’s ever been in the history of the game….
Hope he can get healed up and come back with a vengeance.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dang… I just came across this. I’m def not looking forward to playing against Aaron Jones in Minn, but I thought it was the right move to pick AJ Dillon over him as to which back you should’ve kept. Also seemed to be a genuinely good human being.

Hate to see a young guy injured….especially at RB the way the position is as under-valued as it’s ever been in the history of the game….
Hope he can get healed up and come back with a vengeance.
Just to clarify, they didn't pick Dillon over Jones. It basically came down to Jones or Jacobs and each player's age and contract demands. THAT was the either/or.

Reaction score
They really paid Dillon like he was the #3 RB. I think they would’ve almost preferred to move on after a pretty tough statistical season. However at his minimal contract it was basically giving the team an open option to move on at any juncture. Which is what they did.

I dont think it helped Dillon’s cause that several other RB’s looked good in Preseason. Particularly Wilson’s upwards trend put him in conversation as a feasible #2 option in a pinch and a definitive RB3.
The Packers didn’t spend an #88 overall on a RB unless they thought he was going to be part of a 1-2 punch. Someone is going to be the odd man out and an injury is the perfect excuse to do so. It’s a tough business but that’s why these guys get paid.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think Jacob’s and Lloyd are going to be an absolute monster Duo once Marshawn heals up. I’m about positive that GB thinks Lloyd is an upper echelon RB2 worst case, with a good chance of RB1 before Jacob stares at his 30th B-day (before the 2027 season)

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They really paid Dillon like he was the #3 RB. I think they would’ve almost preferred to move on after a pretty tough statistical season. However at his minimal contract it was basically giving the team an open option to move on at any juncture. Which is what they did.

I dont think it helped Dillon’s cause that several other RB’s looked good in Preseason. Particularly Wilson’s upwards trend put him in conversation as a feasible #2 option in a pinch and a definitive RB3.
The Packers didn’t spend an #88 overall on a RB unless they thought he was going to be part of a 1-2 punch. Someone is going to be the odd man out and an injury is the perfect excuse to do so. It’s a tough business but that’s why these guys get paid.
I don't see it this way at all. Stats aside, I believe staff and mgmt wanted the continuity and comfort level in Dillon's knowledge, blocking and pass receiving skills in the RB room. No one else provides those aspects. The fact that they found a way to sign him at a reduced cost for two years speaks to me in how interested they were in keeping Dillon. Also, it seems that they like the way he fits the team's culture and could provide steady leadership for the young guys is an added bonus.

Reaction score
I don't see it this way at all. Stats aside, I believe staff and mgmt wanted the continuity and comfort level in Dillon's knowledge, blocking and pass receiving skills in the RB room. No one else provides those aspects. The fact that they found a way to sign him at a reduced cost for two years speaks to me in how interested they were in keeping Dillon. Also, it seems that they like the way he fits the team's culture and could provide steady leadership for the young guys is an added bonus.
So I’d agree with you those other things are importantly also. However I was speaking to the economics of a decision. That doesn’t infer I don’t like a players full character or array of positive attributes. Almost Different arguments. But thank you for defending Dillon he probably deserves some of that! It’s always sad to lose a player like this, I get it.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So I’d agree with you those other things are importantly also. However I was speaking to the economics of a decision. That doesn’t infer I don’t like a players full character or array of positive attributes. Almost Different arguments. But thank you for defending Dillon he probably deserves some of that! It’s always sad to lose a player like this, I get it.
Yeah, I'm happy to defend Dillon. The fantasy football warriors have already soundly spoken regularly on why he's not worthy of being here.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s always sad to lose a player like this, I get it.

We haven't lost him yet, just this season. I am pessimistic with this injury, there is a reasonable case that this is career ending. If it is, then I'll be sad.

Assuming he is in good health, wants to play, can pass a physical next year, AND the Packers want his him, they could once again make him a qualifying offer (getting the salary cap benefit they received this year yet again). Using him as a 3rd down back/utility player, which I presume was the plan for this year, is probably worth the 1.3M cap hit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts