2024 Olympics

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The US is doing a fantastic job in the Paris Olympics. I keep hearing how the Chinese are close to us in Gold Medals, and it's almost like a panic, as if that's the only thing that counted. That's hogwash! All medals have relative value. Back in the old days.... over 50 years ago, they used a points basis to determine who was the best overall team in a given Olympics. A gold medal was worth 4 points, a silver was 2, and the bronze was 1.

This year's Olympic Medal count is as follows.

US - 27 gold, 35 silver, and 32 bronze.
China - 25 gold, 23 silver 17 bronze.
Australia - 18 gold, 12 silver, 11 bronze.
France - 13 gold, 17 silver, 21 bronze
Great Britain - 12 gold, 17 silver, 20 bronze.

The totals are as follows. I'll show the US broke down, and the that will show you how the counting is done

US 27 gold x 4 points = 108
35 silver x 2 points= 70
32 bronze x 1 point= 32
Total: 210

The standings, using the points, are as follows, top 5.

US 210
China 163
Australia 107
France 107
Great Britain 102

The reality is, it's not even close. The US has dominated the Olympics, as we thought they would. But, we also have gotten a lot of unexpected medals along the way, from athletes who have risen to the occasion. This is a good team, and they deserve praise for what they have done.

When you hear stories, like the one about our water polo team, and how these athletes get so little support from our Olympic committee, it makes me wonder why we allow those leaders to lavish so much attention on themselves with the expensive suites at games, and $300 meals fit for a king, while these athletes have to work full time jobs to support their even competing.

As far as so many of our athletes being pros, let's face it. We were the last ones to the table allowing them to participate. Everyone else had found ways to give their athletes full support, and turned their abilities into full time jobs, long before the US opened the door to pros in competition.

What's sad is that Russia still doesn't understand that doping to win is not the way the games should be played, and their attempts to sabotage these Olympics because they were banned for the Ukraine invasion and past doping should be a message that they shouldn't be allowed in for the next 20 years. If China doesn't straighten out their act as well, they should be sent to the sidelines to reconsider how you need to go about competing.

Anyhow, that's my opinion on the subject. In our family, we're rooting for Kenny Bednarek to light it up in the 200 today (Thursday). Kenny was one of my Brother's grandson's best friends in HS, and they worked out together. Kenny for track, and my kin, because he was on his way to play college football. They're still in communications, and see each other as much as they can.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I just read an article where the Chinese are saying that the US team should be monitored more closely for performance enhancing drugs ... particularly those that are causing positive test results from ingested meat???

That seems to be the go-to excuse this time around.

Perhaps I'm a little more sensitive or aware to it in today's environment but even the statements coming out of Paris by whichever impacted nation sound as though they're written by a political machine - it's the same old dodge and deflect.

One thing is for sure -- I've fallen completely and utterly in love with Gabby Thomas. :) (I may be old, but I'm not dead)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Of the very little I've paid attention to the thing, the most impressive to me is the dude from Turkey in the air pistol event using iron sights. Looked like he was shooting vermin in his yard after he got home from the office. I think he got silver?

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of the very little I've paid attention to the thing, the most impressive to me is the dude from Turkey in the air pistol event using iron sights. Looked like he was shooting vermin in his yard after he got home from the office. I think he got silver?
He did, yes. He was part of a 2-man team, sounds like the other guy lowered the team score a bit (although the article i read was English translated from French, and I think they like to mess with us.)

I haven't watched any of the events. The only summer sports I like are cycling, because I used to race, and boxing because.... well, because boxing. In 1998, I had a business trip tp Atlanta, and took 2 extra days. Rented some gear from a bike shop, and 2 of the guys from the shop drove me out to the Olympic mountain biking course, which was open for the public after the Games.

Man, that was fun, and thank God it was February and not August. Just a brutal course, and I was used to riding the CAMBA trails up around Hayward, Seeley, Cable, etc. I can't imagine riding that race in the first week of August.

Winter games are where I'm glued to the TV round the clock. Hockey, luge, bobsledding, the skiing events, even some of the figure skating events are a joy to watch. Just love the Winter Games.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
May I gurgle about break dancing being an "Olympic sport"?

Granted, I can't do it and I'm sure you'd have to be in fairly good shape (consult your doctor before participating) to do this for any amount of time ... next up ... Olympic Video Gaming? Boy, would I be dumb if that's already an Olympic sport.

Ah well, as Bob Dylan once sang, the times, they are a changin'. {Gurgle OFF}

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just checked, as of this moment China has a 36-33 lead in the gold medals. It keeps going back and forth. The US has a lock on total medals, of course. It's silly, but I'd like to get that gold medal lead too. There are some team medals coming up we should do well in, I think? But I haven't been paying the closest attention.

I think I heard the Australians have done really well in swimming, which has hurt the Americans some.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
May I gurgle about break dancing being an "Olympic sport"?

Granted, I can't do it and I'm sure you'd have to be in fairly good shape (consult your doctor before participating) to do this for any amount of time ... next up ... Olympic Video Gaming? Boy, would I be dumb if that's already an Olympic sport.

Ah well, as Bob Dylan once sang, the times, they are a changin'. {Gurgle OFF}
Sports

Filter by:
All Olympic Games

All Olympic Editions

I swear there used to be ballroom dancing in the Olympics.​

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
China with a 39-38 lead in gold medals, tomorrow is the last day I believe. It will come down to the wire.

I watched the US mens basketball team win gold over France. Steph Curry drained four three pointers in the last two minutes to seal it. Man, what a shooter.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ladies basketball team won gold with a one point win over France. Funny how both gold medal games were the US vs France. Final medal tally leaves both the US and China tied with 40 golds, with the US having the advantage in total medal count. Congratulations to our young athletes.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts