2023 Division round at the SF

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You know, I just noticed this, both #1 seeds are playing tomorrow. So that means the #1 seed now gets 13 days rest, and goes up against a team that only gets 6 days to prepare. That's a big advantage. So how is it we were the #1 seed two years in a row and couldn't get out of the conference?
:mad::poop:
Texans play tomorrow. They also played last Saturday so they get the full 7 off. They did not know who they play until Monday evening.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
If somehow The Pack win tomorrow the expectations goes through the roof. If they bean San Fran they 1000% have the ability to beat anyone thats left on the table. What would sting if they beat them and then lay a brown log in their pants for NFCCG.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If somehow The Pack win tomorrow the expectations goes through the roof. If they bean San Fran they 1000% have the ability to beat anyone thats left on the table. What would sting if they beat them and then lay a brown log in their pants for NFCCG.
Gosh, when has that ever happened, other than every conf champ game this century, except for the SB year.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
If AJ Dillon does play, I hope to get him going in the short passing game. His hands are exceptional and once he’s in space with a couple yards he’s hard to take down.

Please dear Lord don’t attempt those slow developing screens. This SF49er D is all over those. Baltimore had some success on those quick throw outside, but it has to be hot potatoes Rodgers quick like 0.25 sec or less

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because quite often, rest = rust.
Sometimes. I know historically, the #1 seed has usually advanced to the Super Bowl, although I don't know what recent statistics are on it, since they've gone to the seven team playoff format. Of course any such stats right now would be skewed by Green Bay's failures in the spot.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Texans play tomorrow. They also played last Saturday so they get the full 7 off. They did not know who they play until Monday evening.
Fair point, I stand corrected. But that almost averages out to six days to prepare :)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the experts have been filtering in their predictions and so far unanimously pick the Whiners.
Most people I've seen are picking the 49ers, but they've all hedged their bets by saying the Packers have a chance. But do you know who did pick the Packers? Skip Bayless.

By the way, when the 49ers played the Cowboys this year, they won 42-10.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Most people I've seen are picking the 49ers, but they've all hedged their bets by saying the Packers have a chance. But do you know who did pick the Packers? Skip Bayless.

By the way, when the 49ers played the Cowboys this year, they won 42-10.
It’s interesting but 49ers were up
21-7 at Halftime. Dallas came out and scored 3, but 49ers answered with 7 at 28-10.
Then they just kept their foot on gas for 2 more scores. It was very much like our game at Dallas, except we decided to go soft, prevent D late in the game and allowed the Cowboys a Last breath. That Dallas game was eerily similar to our game with Dallas and aside from a pair of later 4th Quarter scores.. we could’ve switched the team names. Except… we did that AT DALLAS

That SF49 team is loaded with great players. Yet they still have occasional games where they look somewhat suspect. 49ers vs Washington a few weeks ago it was 10-13 at halftime and 10-20 going into the 4th Quarter. This is a team that won 4 of 17 contests and they hung around until later in the game. I’d have to think GB can score more than 10 points across 3 or 4 Quarters.
We’re just playing way better than Washington was right now.

I have us 17-23 or 20-21 4th Qtr.
IF we can get up on SF early? I’d reverse those 2 scores. Also keep in mind when Baltimore beat up on 49ers it didn’t happen until the second half. It was a hard fought physical battle of 13-12 until Tuckers FG with time running out 16-12 halftime
Then it was
Punt
INT
Punt
Downs
TD
INT

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I just noticed this, both #1 seeds are playing tomorrow. So that means the #1 seed now gets 13 days rest, and goes up against a team that only gets 6 days to prepare. That's a big advantage. So how is it we were the #1 seed two years in a row and couldn't get out of the conference?
:mad::poop:
We were also #1 seed in 2011 with a 15-1 record. That was more painful than anything Jerry experienced last Sunday.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes. I know historically, the #1 seed has usually advanced to the Super Bowl, although I don't know what recent statistics are on it, since they've gone to the seven team playoff format. Of course any such stats right now would be skewed by Green Bay's failures in the spot.
Since 1990, exactly 50% of #1 seeds have gone to the SB.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If AJ Dillon does play, I hope to get him going in the short passing game. His hands are exceptional and once he’s in space with a couple yards he’s hard to take down.

Please dear Lord don’t attempt those slow developing screens. This SF49er D is all over those. Baltimore had some success on those quick throw outside, but it has to be hot potatoes Rodgers quick like 0.25 sec or less
I just want to see him spell AJ. The 9ers punish people. Dillon can take some of it for one game and he might be able to lay a hit on a 9er LB.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Skip absolutely loves Love. I have to wonder one thing though. If the result was exactly the opposite, score, stats, QB performances, etc. and the Cowboys won 48-32, would almost nobody be picking the Cowboys to win?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s interesting but Dallas was up
21-7 at Halftime. Dallas came out and scored 3, but 49ers answered with 7 at 28-10.
Then they just kept their foot on gas for 2 more scores. It was very much like our game at Dallas, except we decided to go soft, prevent D late in the game and allowed the Cowboys a Last breath.
if the 49ers won 42-10, how could Dallas have been up 21-7 at halftime?

We were also #1 seed in 2011 with a 15-1 record. That was more painful than anything Jerry experienced last Sunday.
Frigging Giants. At least we know they were a bigger bane to Belichick than us even.
:mad: :poop: :poop: :poop:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having rest going into the Divisional Round is a mixed bag. The advantage is being healthy and rested, but the disadvantage is not being in rhythm. Not being in rhythm has knocked many top seeds out of the playoffs. Pile on top of that the 49ers held their stars out of Week 18, and you've got guys that have only practiced for the past three weeks without playing at full speed. Teams rarely go full-speed in practices anymore, so they may be out of game shape as well.

I'm still expecting a 49ers win, but there are real issues that they will have to overcome in order to live up to the expectations.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Not quite, by that math. They're not necessarily knocked out in the division round. But how many #7 seeds have gone to the Super Bowl? :)
I know. I was just being silly with the math, I should’ve left an emoji.

I edited above I meant 49ers were up 21-7 the Dallas scored a FG on the opening drive of Qtr3. Just like they did with us. But we were scoring TD’s to their FG which doesn’t work very well long term. Our game in Dallas was very similar to Dallas vs 49ers in a lot of ways.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I edited above I meant 49ers were up 21-7 the Dallas scored a FG on the opening drive of Qtr3. Just like they did with us. But we were scoring TD’s to their FG which doesn’t work very well long term. Our game in Dallas was very similar to Dallas vs 49ers in a lot of ways.
Maybe we're evenly matched. Although their prevent defense is probably more stout than ours.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m so excited! Win or lose, just seeing us on the field at Candlestick .. er, Levi Field or whatever it is, lining up against the niners in the playoffs is going to give me chills tomorrow. Unreal.

Who would have thought, this year! Last week I said “win or lose, I’m just glad to see this team play another game.” Well, here it is again. Love it.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Maybe we're evenly matched. Although their prevent defense is probably more stout than ours.
Could be. Now they caught Dallas earlier in the season. Where we caught them late season so plenty of time has evolved.

The biggest factor is we played them at Dallas and I think that should be pointed out. After all, Dallas had won 16 home games in a row and we came in there and hit them like a Mack truck. They were a 7.5 point favorite and we beat them by 16+

Now I totally understand SF being favorites, but 9.5 points is a bit much after factoring the Packers are in a 4 game Win stretch and stomped the p oo p oo out of Dallas.

It’s ok though. But curiosity has me thinking. Let’s say we beat SF by 10 points. Are we still an underdog after that?

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Last week Watson was very quiet. I think we always proceed with caution for a player in his first week back.
I think Watson could become a focus tomorrow. I wouldn’t even be surprised to see us go after a deep kill shot early in. In the past? SF played much faster and more physical than GB. That disparity is largely diminished. I think we forgot what Watson brings ti the table. He’s a legit deep threat that can score in 8 seconds flat. Remember that excluding his 2 first games back this year.. across those 8 contests he has 403 yards and 4 TD. Or basically averaged 50+ per game

Rodgers really got to a point he was asked to not scramble after breaking his collarbone and other misc. injuries. That immobility was a disadvantage as we know because QB’s who can scramble (like Lamar or Kyler) cause Defenses to stay home. Love is also much better equipped to QB sneak it short yardage or roll out on an option play and use his 6’4” 224lb advantage on select plays to take the easy first down using his legs if he’s ignored

Last edited:

Members online