Vikings studs n duds

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm aware of that.

Obviously.

So we're speculating. You're just speculating the opposite I am. Guess we'll find out later this week.
I wasn’t speculating, there is real fear he didn’t just reinjure but new.

Speculating would be saying he’s done or he isn’t. I texted my contact immediately upon the game closing to see if he knew if new or not, real fear exists it is new and not just aggravating the existing further.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carlson was the 1 dud I saw. MAYBE the training staff. We've had a lot of injuries lately on both sides of the ball.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Stud Darnell Savage. The DBs played like horse:poop: the games he missed. I heard earlier this season he was the one that set them up and called out the plays.
-- I don’t think it’s a coincidence that from an operation standpoint, things looked a bit more smooth in the secondary with Darnell Savage back in the lineup. Matt LaFleur has complemented him previously on his leadership and communication on the back end

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud Darnell Savage. The DBs played like horse:poop: the games he missed. I heard earlier this season he was the one that set them up and called out the plays.
I like this take. Been following a pod that dives into PFF grades which have not always been kind to Savage. But, I could see where those can be deceiving for a position like Safety.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I like this take. Been following a pod that dives into PFF grades which have not always been kind to Savage. But, I could see where those can be deceiving for a position like Safety.
AJ Hawk didn't play up to his draft slot but he was very good at getting the defensive alignments set. That's why he hung around so long with so-so play.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Barry - credit where credit was due. But where is the consistency? Carolina gets shut out a week after hanging 30 on us.

Love: there were some elite passes last night. There was a command of the offense seemingly going to the right receiver every play (I will have to rewatch). Great understanding of the defense - which was a top 10 defense.

MLF - I had worries there was some team issues brewing, but it seems they played great together as a team. He is holding them together.

Bo Melton - what a great story.

Duds. NONE was a great overall game

We’ve got ourselves a QB! He might not be Aaron Rodgers, but Jordan is plenty good enough to lead this team deep into the Postseason.
Thank goodness he is not Rodgers. Love is playing better now than Rodgers did last season. If Rodgers played for us this year I think we would have less wins and some folks would be complaining we hadn't provided any weapons for Rodgers. Love's leadership and playing within the system has had a huge impact.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank goodness he is not Rodgers. Love is playing better now than Rodgers did last season. If Rodgers played for us this year I think we would have less wins and some folks would be complaining we hadn't provided any weapons for Rodgers. Love's leadership and playing within the system has had a huge impact.

I really appreciate how Love distributes the ball. Rodgers seemed like he wasn't as concerned about getting the ball to an open man as much as going to guys who ran their route the right way. He had zero tolerance for Watson, and some tolerance for Doubs. Otherwise, the ball was going to Lazard or Cobb or Jones out of the backfield.

Reaction score
I actually think Reed playing through his issue finally hit the breaking point tonight and he will be out.
Yeah. During that Scramble into the Paint he took some shots to the upper body. I think he sits out next week, but I suspect (my guess) IF we make the postseason he’ll be back for Wildcard weekend. If Watson or Wicks is back against Chicago we should hold him out precautionary either way. Let him heal up for an extra week.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is this Rodgers person? Sounds made up. LOL You mean that guy that moved to NY to fleece a team and get all of his close friends to flock there only to blame every person involved and accept little to no responsibility? Good Riddence!!!

Reaction score
Stud:

Packers Offense
#10 Points For
#11 Yards For
#3 TD’s

Jordan Love
of QB’s with the same or more TD passes scored, only Dak Prescott
(8 INT) have less INT than Love(11)
Dak Prescott 32/8
Brock Purdy 31/11
Jordan Love 30/11

This was the fundamental argument of anti-Love posters coming out of college and his first couple of years in the NFL. We now have an adequate sample size to put that concern to rest. His Junior year in College was arguably a reflection of being stripped of 9 players from his Offense and his entire Coaching staff.

The secondary “anti-Love” argument was his MW Conference being inferior to the FBS. Thus Jordan wouldn’t translate to an even higher, NFL competition level. That concern has also been debunked and proven false. Top FCS players DO translate to the NFL with a high degree of success. Although that shouldn’t have come as a surprise. Many Good FCS players have transferee to the FBS all the time with great results.

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn’t speculating, there is real fear he didn’t just reinjure but new.

Speculating would be saying he’s done or he isn’t. I texted my contact immediately upon the game closing to see if he knew if new or not, real fear exists it is new and not just aggravating the existing further.
But "real fear" is not evidence. Hence, by definition, it is, at this point, speculation. I never said there was anything wrong with speculating but at this point, without factual evidence, that's what it is.

EDIT: X-rays were negative. So that's positive evidence.

Last edited:
Reaction score
But "real fear" is not evidence. Hence, by definition, it is, at this point, speculation. I never said there was anything wrong with speculating but at this point, without factual evidence, that's what it is.

EDIT: X-rays were negative. So that's positive evidence.
Normally within about 24-48 hours the public is informed of the severity of a season ending injury with about 90% accuracy or so (few exceptions even for #12)
We shall know soon enough but until then “no news is good news”

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to admit that I questioned that one myself - was that the play that set up the kerfuffle where Aaron Jones got whacked upside the head? The long ball at that point just seemed a little out of character for the LaFleur Packers at that point.

Still, if it was the Packers poking the Vikies in the eye for their after the whistle stuff -- I love it.
I have no qualms and an opponent can do the same to us. Good to see our backup get a shot.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Hawk didn't play up to his draft slot but he was very good at getting the defensive alignments set. That's why he hung around so long with so-so play.
And he was on the field maybe more than any Packer D player of that era.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Hawk was a second rounder - his hate groups would be nearly non-existent. Shoot even late first round and he isn't thought of with as much ill. Dude was solid and consistent.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Hawk was a second rounder - his hate groups would be nearly non-existent. Shoot even late first round and he isn't thought of with as much ill. Dude was solid and consistent.
He was. I am not certain but somehow I think Capers failed to leverage him to be the disruptive force he was in college. On the other hand Capers tried to make all that happen exclusively with Matthews. I think both players could have achieved more with a better DC and another player or two on the defense. I think of the Pittsburgh Steelers and over the last 2 decades Troy Polamalu and TJ Watt have certainly been game changers although they were injured often.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud:

Packers Offense
#10 Points For
#11 Yards For
#3 TD’s

Jordan Love
of QB’s with the same or more TD passes scored, only Dak Prescott
(8 INT) have less INT than Love(11)
Dak Prescott 32/8
Brock Purdy 31/11
Jordan Love 30/11

This was the fundamental argument of anti-Love posters coming out of college and his first couple of years in the NFL. We now have an adequate sample size to put that concern to rest. His Junior year in College was arguably a reflection of being stripped of 9 players from his Offense and his entire Coaching staff.

The secondary “anti-Love” argument was his MW Conference being inferior to the FBS. Thus Jordan wouldn’t translate to an even higher, NFL competition level. That concern has also been debunked and proven false. Top FCS players DO translate to the NFL with a high degree of success. Although that shouldn’t have come as a surprise. Many Good FCS players have transferee to the FBS all the time with great results.

Matt LeFleur and Jordan Love look like they were made for one another.

If Green Bay can ever become consistently good on defense, they can be a dominant force in the NFL.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
What a crazy game. Love played great. Here's the crazy part. He missed wide open guys on 4th downs. It could have been an even better day for him. Jones killed it. Reed killed it. Melton killed it. Preston Smith killed it. Just an all around win and great to see it against MN.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Bo Melton is no slouch in terms of talent. He's a former 5 star recruit. When he came out of Rutgers, he was 5'11" 190 and put up:

-4.34 Forty (94th%)
-1.50 Split (87th%)
-38" Vert (80th%)
-10'1" Broad (50th%)
-6.98 Three Cone (47th%)
-RAS of 9.24

He's only 24 years old.

Christian Watson, Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks, Romeo Doubs, Malik Heath, Bo Melton plus the tight ends. The group that Gutekunst has put together and the job that Petals, Vrable, and Dunn have done coaching them is outstanding. What an exciting group. Add some more help on the OL and in the backfield and COOK.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bo Melton is no slouch in terms of talent. He's a former 5 star recruit. When he came out of Rutgers, he was 5'11" 190 and put up:

-4.34 Forty (94th%)
-1.50 Split (87th%)
-38" Vert (80th%)
-10'1" Broad (50th%)
-6.98 Three Cone (47th%)
-RAS of 9.24

He's only 24 years old.

Christian Watson, Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks, Romeo Doubs, Malik Heath, Bo Melton plus the tight ends. The group that Gutekunst has put together and the job that Petals, Vrable, and Dunn have done coaching them is outstanding. What an exciting group. Add some more help on the OL and in the backfield and COOK.

Yup I remember quite a few of us brought his athletic profile up in that draft cycle...bonus knowledge is that he and Christian Watson were training partners in advance for the draft and pushed eachother hard and each in their own right excelled at the combine.

Many slept on Bo merely because this was his college production:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

One key though is he was at Rutgers....enough said LOL.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was. I am not certain but somehow I think Capers failed to leverage him to be the disruptive force he was in college. On the other hand Capers tried to make all that happen exclusively with Matthews.

I don't think Hawk is the kind of player that could have been so impactful at the Pro Level. Off-the-ball linebackers need to be coverage players most of the time, not blitzers. By the time we'd got Capers, Hawk was already a touch slower than he was in college. Or he was just faster than most college players and was slightly exposed at the Pro level, I'm not sure.

Quay has the potential to be a bigger impact player, just because of his physical attributes. Still has to get better at the other parts, he he's fast enough to match up with the Reggie Bushes of the world.