Vikings at Packers 9/29/24 Pregame Thoughts

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect Iron Pyrite with our purple cohorts. Houston is not as good as we thought. Magically the NFC North is turning into one of the strongest divisions.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not looking forward to Aaron Jones screen passes, at all. If Stokes or JA can keep up with Jefferson for 3 seconds the pass rush may get home more often than not. Minny's OLB's look strong, so our OT's will need to be sharp. Love plays, well, but penalties (again!!) derail a few drives.
GB 37-Vikes 34 in OT. Narvy bangs a game winning 50 yarder.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Aaron Jones is going to have a field day but I think/hope that we will also keep our run-oriented offense in gear no matter who is at quarterback.

GB 24 - Vikings 24 in OT. :D

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I'm feeling a little optimistic here.
Obviously credit where credit is due. 3-0 is 3-0. It's too early to tell too much, but I can't help but wonder about the opposition here. You have the Giants, who are going to be a contender for the #1 draft pick if I had to guess. And on paper, the 49ers and Texans SHOULD be great teams, ones that many had penciled in as super bowl contenders. Maybe that will hold true, and those will remain quality wins. But if you're assessing solely based on this season thus far....those wins lose a little luster all the sudden. The Texans other two games were them barely winning against the Colts and Bears...both of whom are not good. The 49ers beat up on the Jets, but also lost to whoever the Rams could dress that wasn't already out injured.

And to be fair to the Vikings they are playing very well, and you can only beat whoever's scheduled in front of you. But I don't know...I think if I were a Vikings fan, I'd still have a hard time fully trusting Darnold. It seemed like heading into the season he was at best going to be viewed as a "bridge" QB for McCarthy to develop behind. And prior to this season has a career passer rating of 80.7 and a career QBR of 44.0 - this season those numbers are 117.3 and 73.5, respectively. Is that sustainable, or should we expect to see some regression there at some point? Hopefully it's this week, if so.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I rarely feel that the other team has the better coach. IMO this is a toss-up. The MN guy is pretty good and seems to scheme open guys even better than MLF. I hope AJ has a nice game (not too nice). I am confident the Pack has the better overall roster. Pack in a tight one with home field being the difference.

P.S- If Love starts and is rusty and GB offense is struggling does anyone think there is any chance MLF turns to Malik late in the game?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P.S- If Love starts and is rusty and GB offense is struggling does anyone think there is any chance MLF turns to Malik late in the game?
No, Love offers more offensive capability, imho. IF he's struggling that's on MLF for not adjusting his playcalls &/or scheme properly.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Also the the Vikings Run Defense is like Chicago last year , very good. Except they just played the Texans, who were missing RB1 AND RB2. I’m not suggesting we will put up our customary 200 rushing. I am suggesting GB is an easy Top 5 Rushing team operating near full strength. As good as MN Defense is? I still think we can Rush 30X4.0 for 125 yards or so. That does not make us 1-dimensional like Houston.

The Vikings Pass Defense is underwhelming. I’m really hoping Jordan is back because THAT needs to be challenged. We have a good enough Run game to not abandon it. The GB Offense production is ranked #5, we are not some slouches Minnesota. GB also has a better DB group and better pass Rush than Houston to combat their Air attack. If the Vikes are expecting a Houston rematch they are going to be dismayed.

I’m mainly hoping Jordan plays. He will burn them for being greedy in the Pass Rush.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind our league leading rushing offense includes 114 yards from Malik Willis. Somehow I doubt Love would have that many. If Love starts our rushing offense takes a hit. Certain teams run near the top of the rushing category every year because they have running QBs. If a mobile QB breaks a long one on a busted play or simply takes off the teams rushing offense benefits where teams with a statue at QB rely solely on their RBs.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As usual, the Vikings fans are shooting off their mouths about the game already. I’m envisioning a close game and probably be a shootout at the end. I hope JLove has the great game he is capable of and both, the defense and offense play well. Go Pack!!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I'm feeling a little optimistic here.
Obviously credit where credit is due. 3-0 is 3-0. It's too early to tell too much, but I can't help but wonder about the opposition here. You have the Giants, who are going to be a contender for the #1 draft pick if I had to guess. And on paper, the 49ers and Texans SHOULD be great teams, ones that many had penciled in as super bowl contenders. Maybe that will hold true, and those will remain quality wins. But if you're assessing solely based on this season thus far....those wins lose a little luster all the sudden. The Texans other two games were them barely winning against the Colts and Bears...both of whom are not good. The 49ers beat up on the Jets, but also lost to whoever the Rams could dress that wasn't already out injured.

And to be fair to the Vikings they are playing very well, and you can only beat whoever's scheduled in front of you. But I don't know...I think if I were a Vikings fan, I'd still have a hard time fully trusting Darnold. It seemed like heading into the season he was at best going to be viewed as a "bridge" QB for McCarthy to develop behind. And prior to this season has a career passer rating of 80.7 and a career QBR of 44.0 - this season those numbers are 117.3 and 73.5, respectively. Is that sustainable, or should we expect to see some regression there at some point? Hopefully it's this week, if so.
He can throw the ball very well and we better cover the minihaha receivers accordingly. Both short and long. There have been so many passes to the flat this year. And it's been working real well. That's where McDuffie and Nixon can step in. Of course, our Aaron Jones is a wild card both receiving and running. He gets through the line so fast. Q will need to step up there if Jones gets through the line.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I rarely feel that the other team has the better coach. IMO this is a toss-up. The MN guy is pretty good and seems to scheme open guys even better than MLF. I hope AJ has a nice game (not too nice). I am confident the Pack has the better overall roster. Pack in a tight one with home field being the difference.

I doubt it. But I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of Malik for a few series. Or even some plays. It's a tough thing to do for a coach.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Keep in mind our league leading rushing offense includes 114 yards from Malik Willis. Somehow I doubt Love would have that many. If Love starts our rushing offense takes a hit. Certain teams run near the top of the rushing category every year because they have running QBs. If a mobile QB breaks a long one on a busted play or simply takes off the teams rushing offense benefits where teams with a statue at QB rely solely on their RBs.
I agree and I think this will sound almost contradictory to what I’ve been saying about wanting Love. The more I ponder this game the more I think we should go in with Malik. The Vikings can’t stop the #1 Rushing Offense and it’s not because they can’t just throw 9 in the box. Malik Willis proved last week that if you do that? He’ll punish you in the intermediate Pass. Tennessee was one of the best ranked Run Defenses just last week. They dropped hard after we demolished them. It was an embarrassment level beating. I heard all week about TN Defense this TN Defense that and I almost bought into it. We didn’t just win. We manhandled the Tennessee Run Defense. I think we’re #1 by a mile with Malik.
The Pass is an area that Minnesota has NOT faired well. IF they commit to the Run? They will be ultra susceptible to getting burned. Its not a gamble I would want to make if I were MN. IF they overcommit to either Run or Pass? I think we beat them by 2 scores.

Malik Willis has earned this Start. 2-0 was not a fluke. It should’ve been 2-0 with 2-3 Score wins. We gifted 10 points to Indy and that Titans game was over after our last FG. We coasted and We still beat them by 16

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
A big reason Houston lost is they were 1-dimensional and couldn’t use RPO. they lost both RB’s. Josh Jacobs has rushed for more yards in 2022 than Cam Akers (3.9 career avg) has in 6 seasons combined.

SF rushed 24 for 102 yards or 4.1 per. I think we can top that. 35X4.3 150+ area. I’d say higher yardage but I’m keeping it reasonable as the Vikings are in that top 5 range Run D

Who else did MN play? The Giants, Devin Singletary has never cracked 900 yards in his career. Him and Daniel Jones are nowhere close to Jacobs, Wilson and Malik. If they rushed for 75 we can crack 150

Last edited: