Trading for Malik Willis

Reaction score
I once made a replica of Lambeau Field with an erector set.
I once had a piece of sheet metal from an erectir set slide off a shelf above me, down my forehead and cut into the top of my nose. Still have the scar to prove it. I wasn’t fond of those after that!

What I see is what could be a good backup QB in the making. I love how he uses his legs to supplement the passing game. While running is not a long term solution for a QB, it sure helps in the meantime while he’s learning other aspects of our system.

61 yards rushing, but the best part??

ZERO sacks !!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The 800th win by the Green Bay Packers and this young fella was at the helm.

I saw a comment that the Titans should trade for him. :roflmao:
Will be fun to hear the crowd reaction to Willis Sunday. Would be even more fun to see him beat his old team, if Love can't play that is.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Next 6 Packer opponents:
Colts - toss up (win w/Love)
@ Tennessee - Win
Vikings - Win
@ Rams - Loss (regardless of QB)
Cardinals - Win
Texans - Loss (win w/ Love)

This would put GB at 3-4 or 4-3 if/when Love returns. I can live with that.
Viks not so sure

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We're catching them at a great time week 5 with Puka, Kupp & 3/4 of their O-Line out injured right now.

I know I am stating the obvious, but injuries with your own team, as well as those of your opponent, can really make or break a season. I guess you would call that "luck" of scheduling and luck of injuries, but it definitely plays into a teams final record.

While it sucked that Jordan was injured in the first game of the season, I think the Packers schedule helped soften the severity of its impact on the team.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who knows me knows I appreciate JT O and his thoughts on QB play...

His work through of Malik's day was impressive and illustrates why I'm so mad my 8 leg parlay didn't hit SOLELY because Malik didn't break 150 yards....three plays are the reason why:

- The long run off the right side down to the 5 yard or so marker had Watson blown wide upon coming across his front but he had already tucked.
- The wide read throw to Wicks was a BULLET and perfect ball...defender just got his hand in their...
- The vomit play had Reed WIDE open and Malik had him but he had to wipe his hand and even tried spinning the ball on the play before tucking and running due to his grip being gone.

JT's full video
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Anyone who knows me knows I appreciate JT O and his thoughts on QB play...

His work through of Malik's day was impressive and illustrates why I'm so mad my 8 leg parlay didn't hit SOLELY because Malik didn't break 150 yards....three plays are the reason why:

- The long run off the right side down to the 5 yard or so marker had Watson blown wide upon coming across his front but he had already tucked.
- The wide read throw to Wicks was a BULLET and perfect ball...defender just got his hand in their...
- The vomit play had Reed WIDE open and Malik had him but he had to wipe his hand and even tried spinning the ball on the play before tucking and running due to his grip being gone.

JT's full video

Thanks for sharing. Good break down and fun/informative to watch. I kind of kept my eye on 2 players throughout, Willis and Myers. I have to say, I am impressed by both players. Myers gets a lot of grief from Packer fans, but at least from the clips I watched by JT, he really was doing a good job. Even on the barf ball, he made his blocks.

I don't want to get too overly excited about Malik, but I can see what they Packers traded for him. Between his wheels getting him out of trouble and into positive yardage and his arm strength, he just might be a guy we see excel under MLF's system.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to get too overly excited about Malik, but I can see what they Packers traded for him. Between his wheels getting him out of trouble and into positive yardage and his arm strength, he just might be a guy we see excel under MLF's system.
Same here. Maybe putting the cart before the horse, but in a perfect world I'd like to see him worked in here or there even once Love returns. He's at worst a serviceable passer, and a really dangerous runner - would be nice to see a few plays drawn up with him just to keep the defenses honest, if nothing else.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same here. Maybe putting the cart before the horse, but in a perfect world I'd like to see him worked in here or there even once Love returns. He's at worst a serviceable passer, and a really dangerous runner - would be nice to see a few plays drawn up with him just to keep the defenses honest, if nothing else.

In a perfect scenario he gets us two wins now, and two wins to close out the season when Love doesn't need to play ;)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and a first round pick in 2025 and 2026. ;)

Nah...but let's walk down that hypothetical...let's say he really would lead us to a 4-0 record.

Let's say he stays someone a game manager type but decent let's say in that stretch he puts up like 650 yards / 65%+ completion / 6 TDs and like 2 INTs chipping in like 150 yards on the ground and a tuddy....

Good solid stuff but not great....there is a chance a team sees a guy with one more year of a rookie deal as a low risk try and dump after a year dude...but he's also put up tons of reps in Tenn of NOT being that....you're not getting more than a 2026 conditional likely if you want anything above a 4th rounder.

Now say he comes out and wins a game or two with his arm...that changes some stuff...and Gute could start pushing perhaps the right scenario of where you're telling a team give us a 2nd and we will give you Malik and a 5th or Malik and a 4th depending on the level of their second...

I don't see a scenario that is reasonable to think of where you get more...except for one that I won't even type let alone say out loud.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't see a scenario that is reasonable to think of where you get more...except for one that I won't even type let alone say out loud.
You mean one where Watson goes down and the Browns give us 4 1st rounders for him?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved the 12-14 in Willis' game. (I don't think Aaron even ever completed 86% of his passes in a game) I liked the 1 TD (Would've liked 2-3 more, but I'll take it) We need to work on improving the 122 yards.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved the 12-14 in Willis' game. (I don't think Aaron even ever completed 86% of his passes in a game) I liked the 1 TD (Would've liked 2-3 more, but I'll take it) We need to work on improving the 122 yards.

Wicks outside read play would have given him like twenty more and IMO was the hardest throw of the day and he pinned it perfectly

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Great game plan by LaFleur, perfectly tailored to maximizing Willis's abilities. It will be interesting to see if he opens up the playbook a bit more as Willis gets more comfortable in the system.

Tennessee knows Willis better than anyone, which could make it a bit more challenging...Of course, the reverse is also true.

Sunday should be fun.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

To be fair, the game plan was to run the ball. When you have 14 attempts and you get 122 yards out of it, I would say that is pretty good. Also, factor in Willis's 41 rushing yards and no interceptions or sacks.

What we saw on Sunday might have been too conservative and boring for some fans (see live game thread), but the bottom line is this. Willis had been with the team for 2 1/2 weeks, MLF dialed up THE PERFECT game plan to manage him and set him up for success. Most importantly, the Packers got the W.

Reaction score
Yeah. I think we should still keep it Run centric, but mix in another half dozen pass plays. Also maybe a trick play such as a double reverse to Wicks. Then let him throw a pass if someone is open on that side.

Or even a Dan Campbell Special Fake But NOT at our own 20 yard line, like he does, but between the 45-45 area +- 4th and 2, 4th n 4 something like that.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
31-36 366yds 3 TD's 2010 NFC Championship game vs Atlanta (86.1%)

That being said, Willis did what he was asked to, and led the team to victory.

Members online