Studs and Duds vs The Vikings

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love's 3rd INT was extremely bad though, not going to give a really big pass on the others also, as he was throwing into double, sometimes triple coverage there.
One of the int's passed thru the hands of 2 Packer receivers before a Vike caught it. That's not on Love...poor play design and/or execution, but the ball hit 4 packer hands enroute to the pick.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: kicker, slow start on defense and offense and turnovers. Is this a possible RELAX game?
With young teams failure is just as contagious as success. Our first drive set the tone. We let them break serve. A false start, a dropped potential TD, and a missed FG. A veteran team can brush that off and respond. Instead it is demoralizing to youngsters. FG territory becomes 4 down territory. Suddenly, everyone tries to be a hero.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: The entire team, that includes the organization. The kicker should be unemployed and, we rushed our QB. This, is us being lucky.

Studs: absolutely nobody.
Although we only punted a few times I will give a stud to our punter. Because he knocked one so long and high into the wind the return man lost it in the sun and it led to a thankful score.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that was a stupid throw either way. Those 2 drives with back to back turnovers were killers.
Not sure why MLF had Love go long so much. With Willis we were just trying to move chains and only take a few shots.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the int's passed thru the hands of 2 Packer receivers before a Vike caught it. That's not on Love...poor play design and/or execution, but the ball hit 4 packer hands enroute to the pick.
That is what I mean by contagious performance. In that Cowboy game in January we make that play. Today just about every close play did not go our way.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. Well guess what I mean is he threw the ball 54 times after missing 2 games. Thats a lot of forcing it. I think we’d both agree that 1 less INT and he put us squarely in crosshairs of a W.

Eventually clock is an issue. Yet that quick INT after the big Wicks catch in MN territory (MN34)really hurt. We had plenty of time really could’ve even killed the 2 minute drill with a Run there. A score outside 4 minutes and it’s 0-2 score with 3 Clock stops. 6:13 on the clock should’ve switched gears back to a traditional playset. I get it though it was working. Just didn’t need it all in 1 chunk. Practice living to see another down there.
Trying to bite off more than they could chew. Have to get back to moving the chains. Then take the shots at a more opportune time.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest bust is that kicker. It got so bad MLF didn't let him try an onside kick. WRs dropping passes. Love rustier than hell.

But we can't just dismiss the fact they came from the dead and made a game of it. Xavier looks like a keeper. We bottled them up some in the second half. Had our crappy kicker made one of those FGs we are having a different conversation.
Right. If you are going to lose make the other team beat you. Losing because of missed FGs is horrific.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds:
In a first game back I don’t blame Love as much. He had to shake that rust monkey off, but once he did he lit up the scoreboard. 22 unanswered points in ~20 minutes of gameclock to get us 28-22. I’ll give him a mini Dud for forcing it a little too much.

Dud: Narveson. Not sure if the game isn’t too big for him. At best we should bring in a Kicker to compete. If he has 1 more game like that without stringing a few clean games, he’s gone.

Sloppy Flags everywhere. We had 6 flags in the first half alone.
And why do we get more false starts at home instead of the road?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Washington picked up their kicker Seibert after week 1..he has not missed a kick fg or pat in 51 attempts. Hopefully they can find a guy like that!
He is perfect, but he's only kicked 19 FGs and XPs. No kicker is anywhere close to 51 attempts at this point in the season.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m afraid Love was a little more than “rusty”. His decision making was not good and passing was not that good. Granted, some passes were dropped when the should have been caught. I can’t even talk about the kicker as I break out to speaking in tongues. The Vikings played well but I feel we still gave them a gift. Let’s regroup and plan for next week.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m afraid Love was a little more than “rusty”. His decision making was not good and passing was not that good. Granted, some passes were dropped when the should have been caught. I can’t even talk about the kicker as I break out to speaking in tongues. The Vikings played well but I feel we still gave them a gift. Let’s regroup and plan for next week.
He should not have had to throw 54 times. Willis only threw 14 times 2 weeks ago. We did give them more than they gave us.

Reaction score
I really didn’t get to see the 1st half until now.
I can’t recall a game where we had more “close” catches or drops. I counted 8 and not 1 went our direction. Every last 9 of 9 resulted in reversed call in field, lost challenge, tipped INT, uncontested drop for likely 7 points, unsportsmanlike conduct -15 and 3 more that were 0/4 in contested catches. Yet it didn’t look nearly as bad on film as radio. That first half could’ve swung 7-14 points easy. I’m giving MN full credit for the Kraft drop and Sack to try a FG.
Then combine that with multiple O self inflicted. I remembered at least 4 on us.

The score didn’t really apply here. It could’ve easily been 14-21 or 7-14 or at minimum 13-28 or 10-21 something like that. Jordan was literally just inches off target on many passes. Any 2 or 3 of which resulted in lost points.

When the second half started the game settled into more reality. We actually dominated them to a degree but not because of their self inflicted errors. We just pure outplayed them. Looked like 2 completely different halves.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely, this should be what everyone should realistically saying. He looked bad today, that doesn't mean he's a bad QB, but his play today was bad. JL played badly, did he almost bring us back, yes, but even if we won it today, it won't erase that. Don't give him excuses, we lost because of our kicker AND because of what he did. I don't really like "what ifs", he messed up. But it's one game, I don't know if he was worth $55 million, but to quote a future HOF QB, relax.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true. Also, Love took a beating today, we couldn’t block anybody.
They were teeing off. When you get into throw, throw, throw against a heavy blitz team you have to prepare for it. Last week we sacked Levis 8 times. HE took a beating. MLF knows this Viking defense. Should have had a better offensive game plan. Had we been playing another weak offense like maybe New England I believe we would have sat Love one more week.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve said numerous times I like to watch the All22 before christening duds or studs but I have an issue…

How do we get this far with zero nods to Kraft for a stud?

Maybe I missed a bad game all the other snaps I only saw good things from him in assignments, routes, blocking and production….

Reaction score
Yeah. On Watsons INT. injury play. That ball was threaded through 2-3 Defenders and was actually a beauty. It was just like .1 seconds too late. Either Watson needs to be the aggressor and come back a little (like Doubs is good at) or Love just maybe takes the 3rd read dump off. There was a play might have been that one? Where Kraft was open -2 shy of the 1st down marker with a little room Defender 3 yards behind him. At worst it was like 4th n 1 but he might’ve picked that up with some forward lean. Instead it was an INT (ouch)

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve said numerous times I like to watch the All22 before christening duds or studs but I have an issue…

Maybe I missed a bad game all the other snaps I only saw good things from him in assignments, routes, blocking and production….
DARNIT tynimiller! I should have logged in 30min ago.

Tucker Kraft had a really good game. It was almost a great game until he fumbled. Before his TD in the 4th, he made a great block on a 7yd run by Jacobs. Kraft was lined up on the left side. At the snap, he came back across the line and obliterated the guy who was about to stop Jacobs straight up the middle for -3yds. Instead, Jacobs cut left of Kraft's block and rumbled for that 7yd gain. On the next play, Kraft caught the pass and scored a TD. Then he sandbagged his way to a 2PT conversion. Great series after a number of good blocks earlier in the game.

Studs: Kraft, McDuffie, Whelan
1/2 Stud: O-line for protecting Love reasonably well against a ferocious defense

Dud: Gutekunst for saying that he needs to be more patient with kickers!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not down about this game. Yes we should have played better. But I saw a team that fought and began to gel. It's still clunky and not pretty but I am excited for the future. I'm not sitting here thinking that we don't have the right pieces.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did MLF abandon the run after we got behind (I didn't see the game, only high and low lights)?
He abandoned the run at the coin toss. He forgot about everything that worked the past two weeks. If there was ever a game and a team to use misdirection and running, it was today against a confusing Vikings defense when we had a clearly gimpy QB.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He abandoned the run at the coin toss. He forgot about everything that worked the past two weeks. If there was ever a game and a team to use misdirection and running, it was today against a confusing Vikings defense when we had a clearly gimpy QB.
Then Matt deserves a huge DUD. Just because Love is in there why in the hell would you just chuck what was working for 2 weeks?? :tdown::poop:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I’m a Kraft fan and I think his overall game was pretty good, but he literally fumbled the ball in a crucial point… I cant give him stud after that.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did MLF abandon the run after we got behind (I didn't see the game, only high and low lights)?
I believe we only had 19 runs and 54 passes. Now had Willis been QB he would have been part of the running game. It went from bad to worse.