Packers vs Texans Studs n Duds

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And we all knew (except the amish guys wife) the Texans would TRY TO ice him.
FIFU (2×)

She was angry that they would do that. She was calling for an unsportsmanlike conduct flag and the points should count.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mother - ****ING - Whelan MVP for me of the day. I’ll share more later but this man flipped the field and then that hold on the bad snap was insane….

I literally yelled nooooo when I saw the snap but he saved that thing!!!
Good point. Punters are rarely called out unless they shank a kick. But on Sunday he was booing them and flipping the field. Along with a great effort by the D, that allowed the Packers to overcome giving up 16 points on TOs. Aside from the punt miscues by Nixon and Reed, STs had a very good day.

(But please MLF, take Reed off PR duties. He doesn't play that role very well, and he's arguably the best receiver. Why risk injury on such a dangerous play? Nixon is a little better at fielding the kick and a little better at returning the punt.)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just the kicker who can be iced. Our snapper got iced, but fortunately the holder was clutch.
Good point pac. Yeah it's a three-man operation and all need to execute. A great snapper and a great holder are required. I missed the bad snap on the game winning kick. Nice job by Whelan to assist in the save/win.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Love picks were both bad decisions. He had better options on both those plays. 1st one he threw to the guy who was in double coverage and tight. I saw it before the ball left his hand that a pick was likely. I dont get it.

Special stud is S Williams.

Special dud is the OLine. Pass rush was on Love all day.
I don't think he'll throw any more air balls into the middle of the field, but he does have a tendency to throw into tight coverage. Now that's a necessity at times and Love has the skill to make most of those passes. But he doesn't have the rifle Favre had and not the unnerving accuracy and ease of Rodgers.

Of course he threw into 3-man coverage last week for. huge gain. Gotta live with some TOs, but right now he's throwing too any INTs. That won't work against the Lions and queens, and probably not against the Bears either. The coaches really have to help him make better decisions, and I think that will happen.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs..Offense R Doubs..with great hands holding onto that ball to put us in field goal range. Defense.. E. Williams crushing that two point play...we win by two!. And the KICKERS.
Doubs isn't the best route runner on the team - that would probably be Reed and Wicks. But Doubs has hands like Venus fly traps. The ball just seems to stick to his hands. I haven't checked, but I'm guessing he has large, strong hands.

Anyway Doubs is a critical part of the success of this team. Hopefully he has gotten a handle on personal issues, or is just communicating better with MLF, Gluten and his teammates. I hope he's a Packer for life.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. Punters are rarely called out unless they shank a kick. But on Sunday he was booing them and flipping the field. Along with a great effort by the D, that allowed the Packers to overcome giving up 16 points on TOs. Aside from the punt miscues by Nixon and Reed, STs had a very good day.

(But please MLF, take Reed off PR duties. He doesn't play that role very well, and he's arguably the best receiver. Why risk injury on such a dangerous play? Nixon is a little better at fielding the kick and a little better at returning the punt.)

I would rather have Reed back there, he makes much more sound judgements almost always (first gaff of his was this last game actually) Nixon disregarded his duties of calling off the one which caused the touching by our guy...there was no yelling no screaming of kill AND he could have just fair caught it....but Nixon hates fair catching.....

Truthfully I'd embrace Gute drafting a day 3 guy that has immense returning abilities and that is ALL we ask him to do.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubs isn't the best route runner on the team - that would probably be Reed and Wicks. But Doubs has hands like Venus fly traps. The ball just seems to stick to his hands. I haven't checked, but I'm guessing he has large, strong hands.

Anyway Doubs is a critical part of the success of this team. Hopefully he has gotten a handle on personal issues, or is just communicating better with MLF, Gluten and his teammates. I hope he's a Packer for life.

Agree and disagree....if I had to rank our WRs by just route running abilities overall...

Wicks
Doubs
Reed / Watson
Heath
Melton

BUT if talking just crossing routes Melton and Watson get the cake because of their pure separating speed. I'd actually argue Doubs is better on double deep moves than anyone...

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers only gave up 4.3 yards per carry which is good. The main thing I was alluding to was that Houston had a lot of carries that only went 1 or 2 yards and put them in the hole. Mixon did break off one big run. Outside of that I thought they handled the LOS well. I agree the coverage was excellent today. Hafley has the secondary playing very well.
Yeah I agree with you. Nixon had a very good day with 115 yards and 2 TDs. So give he Texans credit. But considering CJ Stroud threw for all of 86 yards, it was a very good day by the entire D. Nixon is a very good runner and with Stroud, the RPO has to be honored. IMO it was the best all-around day the D has played. Teams like the Texans are hard to hold down, Nico Collins or not. It was a great win.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with you. Nixon had a very good day with 115 yards and 2 TDs. So give he Texans credit. But considering CJ Stroud threw for all of 86 yards, it was a very good day by the entire D. Nixon is a very good runner and with Stroud, the RPO has to be honored. IMO it was the best all-around day the D has played. Teams like the Texans are hard to hold down, Nico Collins or not. It was a great win.
Had it not been for our turnovers the Texans would have been forced to try and throw the ball more and possibly we get a pick or two ourselves. Hafley did a good job of confusing Stroud much like Minnesota did to him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had it not been for our turnovers the Texans would have been forced to try and throw the ball more and possibly we get a pick or two ourselves. Hafley did a good job of confusing Stroud much like Minnesota did to him.
It seems like the players on D have a much better grasp on their assignments on specific plays. Hafley started the year relying on the front four to disrupt. For some reason that just didn't work. Now he's stunting guys, bringing down a safety, dropping into coverage quickly, blitzing and getting sacks.

I don't know how those guys get the play, get their assignments, get lined up and execute with so little time between snaps. These guys have played together for a while now, and that helps. And it helps to have impact players on D like McKinney, E. Williams, LB Wilson, and the veterans on the front. Really a solid defense.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate those white uniforms. It did not take much of an imagination to come up with it. And while showing replays from the league; I had a hard time realizing they were The Green Bay Packers. And I admit that I don't want imagination. I want to see The Pack in Packer colors.
Gee, I thought they looked sharp. I got a kick out of how the fans followed suit. It looked great on TV. The Pack did wear Packers colors, just not as much as they normally do. ;)

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate those white uniforms. It did not take much of an imagination to come up with it. And while showing replays from the league; I had a hard time realizing they were The Green Bay Packers. And I admit that I don't want imagination. I want to see The Pack in Packer colors.
there is always one, did you not see all the fans in white? Can't please everybody, no matter what

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We may be spoiled by Rodgers and his lack of INTs. Mahomes has 8 INTs so far this season. Love has just as many.
I also think it's kind of funny to hear things like "He needs to be more Rodgers and less Favre." I mean, I guess if I had it my way I'd prefer that, too...but it's not like Favre was some slouch, either. If Love "only" ends up like Favre that's still a smash success. He's literally a HoF QB lol.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think it's kind of funny to hear things like "He needs to be more Rodgers and less Favre." I mean, I guess if I had it my way I'd prefer that, too...but it's not like Favre was some slouch, either. If Love "only" ends up like Favre that's still a smash success. He's literally a HoF QB lol.

It's a testament to how out of touch a LOT of our fan base is to just how "lightning striking three times" our current scenario appears to be....our QB play for the fast majority of three decades has been amazing; and this has created out of our fanbase a section that is truly ignorant to just how hard high level QB play in the NFL is.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Am I the only one who noticed how close that long snapper came to blowing the game for us? We're all doing the happy happy dance because Macmanus won the game, but that second snap was absolutely horrible. Everyone's giving credit to Whelan for saving it (and rightfully so), but we were very fortunate he was able to.
They cut Matt Orzech (LS) yesterday. However, it appears to just be a procedural move to activate Jonathan Ford off of IR. Speculation is that they will resign Orzech, cut Ford and hope to put Ford on the PS.

I recall this move in the past by the Packers with a LS. Guessing that LS aren't a highly sought out player, at least not one like Orzech.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As long as Love doesn't end up with either of their off the field personalities, and just plays like the best of both Favre and Rodgers, I would be very happy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Something that's crossed my mind a few times this season, and really really stood out to me yesterday, is that this young team ofen looks as though the spectacular success they all had together the last half of 23 went to their heads, and on some level they're taking it for granted. I think many of them may still be too young and inexperienced to realize how rare an achivement like that was in the NFL, and how disciplined a team has to be and how hard a team usually has to work in order to make that happen.
Agree. Then you have a "vet" like Jaire acting like a total douche bag most of the game. I really wish the guy would just play football and quit all the BS smack talk. I really don't think its a positive example for the young guys, nor do I think it helps JA play any better. Let your play do the talking and be a bit more humble!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree. Then you have a "vet" like Jaire acting like a total douche bag most of the game. I really wish the guy would just play football and quit all the BS smack talk. I really don't think its a positive example for the young guys, nor do I think it helps JA play any better. Let your play do the talking and be a bit more humble!
He comes across like most immature player in the locker room. Time to finally grow up and behave like a true professional.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like the players on D have a much better grasp on their assignments on specific plays. Hafley started the year relying on the front four to disrupt. For some reason that just didn't work. Now he's stunting guys, bringing down a safety, dropping into coverage quickly, blitzing and getting sacks.

I don't know how those guys get the play, get their assignments, get lined up and execute with so little time between snaps. These guys have played together for a while now, and that helps. And it helps to have impact players on D like McKinney, E. Williams, LB Wilson, and the veterans on the front. Really a solid defense.
What will be paramount is our DL. Clark and company cannot get dominated by rushing attacks. They have to force teams to go outside.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He comes across like most immature player in the locker room. Time to finally grow up and behave like a true professional.
Agree. I am guessing that coaches are pretty careful about stepping on players like Jaire's toes, when it comes to their "personalities". However, Alexander could learn a few things by watching his teammate Romeo Doubs. Doubs goes out there, does his job with humility and respect.

I like Jaire for his play, about 90% of the time, but his attitude and taking some plays off, need to improve, especially given the paycheck he gets each week.