Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure the coaching could be better, but the Lions were noticeably taller and bigger than our guys. Sometimes there's no substitute for size. The bigger they are the harder they fall they say, but if you're going to overcome that sort of disadvantage, you better have flawless technique.
And speed. It goes a long way back but Bear Bryant had a team that won a national championship with a small offensive line and a small defensive line. But they were so quick off the ball that it just wore the opponent ragged.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, upset about a rule that doesn't allow the owners/teams to beat the heck out of players during the week, keep them healthier so they have potentially longer careers and hopefully improve the quality of play on the field because hopefully players won't get injured as much in practice and be on the field.

Seems like a weird flex

The NFL is a big business with a lot of money going into it. No one is going to do this for free, for the love of the game or go back to 2 a day practices in full pads to practice muh' tacklin'
Something got to change and the way you trained is the way you gonna play. Practices got to soft and it shows on the field.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what are the odds that the Jets are so bad that Robert Saleh becomes available and he becomes our DC next year? That's a buddy hire I could get on board with.

Minimal. Unless he completely loses the locker room over sticking with Zach Wilson and, in that case, do we want another guy that sticks with something that isn't working. We are already full up on that.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something got to change and the way you trained is the way you gonna play. Practices got to soft and it shows on the field.

If you think tackling goes back to just being 'soft', then its not just practice. Rules have changed to do away with many of the hits. Guys are more conscious of their bodies and not trying to kill themselves and the guys they are tackling are, in many cases their friends or at worse 'their past or future co-workers'. The anger/animosity isn't there to want to rip a guys head off now.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And then you get hurt because you are not battle tested. Does anyone think that Ray Nitschke was soft on Paul Hornung in practice? The story goes that Hornung wanted to practice blitz pick up. And Ray broke his nose.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minimal. Unless he completely loses the locker room over sticking with Zach Wilson and, in that case, do we want another guy that sticks with something that isn't working. We are already full up on that.

What are you talking about? He was an excellent DC before going to the Jets.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are you talking about? He was an excellent DC before going to the Jets.

I was joking in that if he is fired for sticking with something that isn't working do we want him to pair up with another head coach that is currently sticking with something that isn't working.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And speed. It goes a long way back but Bear Bryant had a team that won a national championship with a small offensive line and a small defensive line. But they were so quick off the ball that it just wore the opponent ragged.
Unfortunately, our guys seem to be neither.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you think tackling goes back to just being 'soft', then its not just practice. Rules have changed to do away with many of the hits. Guys are more conscious of their bodies and not trying to kill themselves and the guys they are tackling are, in many cases their friends or at worse 'their past or future co-workers'. The anger/animosity isn't there to want to rip a guys head off now.
Watch how the 9ers tackle. It is nearly flawless.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure the coaching could be better, but the Lions were noticeably taller and bigger than our guys. Sometimes there's no substitute for size. The bigger they are the harder they fall they say, but if you're going to overcome that sort of disadvantage, you better have flawless technique.
It did seem that way, good catch. The Lions big men just appeared leaner and certainly meaner and faster than our guys, especially on D. I don't remember the last time I've seen a QB so constantly pressured as was Love. He rarely had more than three seconds, sometimes two, to do anything.

The Lions have done a great job drafting as well. They're for real, and I expect they'll make a deep playoff run. From what I've seen, they're second in the NFC only to the Niners.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how it is now but I do remember years ago that when we played in Detroit, Chicago or MN for a noon game our guys would leave KGRB about 7:30 am and get to the stadium around 9:00 am. Don't they still do that?
Broken, what is KGRB?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Austin Straubel Airport
Thanks Broken. Geez for all the traveling I did in my career, seems I should know.

But on the subject of travel, regardless of actual distance or flight time, it's just an energy-sucking experience. The Packers are actually fortunate to be so close to an airport with having tom play in an opponents' a very short trip from their homes. Even so, it's disruptive - and while I stayed at some very nice places in my travels - nothing beats being home in your own bed.

My guess is that pro sports players develop routines to minimize the impact of travel. At any rate, it's not just having to play in an opponents' location if front of their fans. It's just a pain to travel IMO.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
But the rules changed for all teams. The question is how did
Watch how the 9ers tackle. It is nearly flawless.
this happen? Some teams get it right while following the same CBA.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Broken. Geez for all the traveling I did in my career, seems I should know.
I do a lot of Flight Simulator. Years ago I used to try to do all the Packers flights for all of their away games just for fun.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never put the K in when looking for flights out of GRB. When was this a thing?
The ICAO-compliant FAA identifier for Austin Straubel is KGRB. Technically, GRB is the FAA identifier for the VORTAC at Austin Straubel. But for booking flights those websites accept either one.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll get a pass for this season because of what happened to Rodgers.
Yeah, true. But with the other additions they've made you'd think after winning 7 last year, anything less than 4 wins would still raise questions. And I'm sure GM Rodgers would love to hand pick his own coach. If somehow that were to happen I think MLF would do everything he could to bring him to GB.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, true. But with the other additions they've made you'd think after winning 7 last year, anything less than 4 wins would still raise questions. And I'm sure GM Rodgers would love to hand pick his own coach. If somehow that were to happen I think MLF would do everything he could to bring him to GB.
It's an interesting situation. Right now, at every position but QB, the Jets have a wealth of talent. It shouldn't take a future HOF QB to get that team into the playoffs. But Saleh is very vocal in saying Wilson is the guy, even though most people would say Wilson is a certified bust - IMO!

So just stringing this out - Rodgers becomes unhappy with the way the team, and Saleh, perform even in his absence. We know Rodgers is a QB/GM, so maybe Saleh does get the axe - and if he sticks with Wilson and Wilson doesn't play like a #2 overall draft pick, it's conceivable they could whack Saleh and let Rodgers pick the HC.

This still sounds very unlikely, but I thought the Jets would bring in a veteran QB as soon as Rodgers left for the locker room. If Saleh does become available, he would certainly be welcomed in GB as a DC. Hey, we can dream.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the rules changed for all teams. The question is how did

this happen? Some teams get it right while following the same CBA.
Are we 100% sure that they sell following CBA to the letter?. Could it be that there coaches are much better motivators and players believe in the coaches therefor go above and beyond what the CBS sais some because they are interested in winning just as much as making money and take some pride in what they do?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we 100% sure that they sell following CBA to the letter?. Could it be that there coaches are much better motivators and players believe in the coaches therefor go above and beyond what the CBS sais some because they are interested in winning just as much as making money and take some pride in what they do?
:rolleyes:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You nailed it Packer. We're kinda used to thinking these guys are mainly in it for the cash and to avoid ruining their lives via injury. But football is in their blood, and some have just played on teams where team really did come first, and that is largely a reflection of the coaching staff. Leaders know how to motivate their players.

I'm still in a wait and see mode. I think MLF probably deserves at least 2, maybe 3 years to prove he can succeed without without #12. I think it's fair to say we all want him to succeed. And Gluten is involved here as well. His future will depend on how well his drafts perform and any FA moves he makes.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
On Barry:

It's still very early in the season. With the youth on defense (esp. Wyatt, Walker, Slaton, LVN) and the guys returning or ramping up from injury (Gary, Stokes), there's a scenario where the defense makes a lot of progress over the course of the season.

I think he is getting blamed for a lot that isn't really his fault. For instance, Detroit's first TD drive, LaPorta snags a ball in tight coverage and Rasul just falls off him instead of making the tackle. Then Douglas bites on a pump fake, can't recover, falls down, and St. Brown is wide open for 6. I guarantee you that after that play, there were Packer fans the world over texting each other "fire Barry." But that's not on the coach; it's on the player. But fans, psychologically, really struggle to blame players for anything.

That's not to say it's all good on Barry's end. It isn't. On the second Detroit TD, the alignment basically invited the touchdown. You had Wyatt lined up as a 3T and Smith was a super wide 9. The C gap was a massive canyon even before the ball was snapped. The way the defense was deployed didn't even give them a chance.

My gut is still that they would move on from him after this season. And I think that's for the best. Barry strikes me as a guy who, at his best, can give you back exactly what you put in. He is never going to elevate his players and make them more than the sum of their parts. But it's not a huge deal, given that this is a developmental/assessment season anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.