Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut Bahk next year and we have nearly $56M in cap space. That will get us 2 studs.

That's according to over the cap.

Not sure if they factor in a salary cap increase or not.
Interesting. I thought cutting Bakh would create $40 mil in dead cap. I admit I’ve lost track of his cap hit after all the missed playing time.

This has to be his last year. Great guy, incredible LT. Just had an awful run of injury bad luck.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut Bahk next year and we have nearly $56M in cap space. That will get us 2 studs.

That's according to over the cap.

Not sure if they factor in a salary cap increase or not.
Don't know about the overall situation. Just was responding to a post about Rodgers' dead cap being off the books and mentioned that Bahk's is considerable.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
And of course, pad level! (That was for Poker, who is fanatical about pad level.)
:roflmao:

That was another poster, many moons ago and I can't remember who. I just brought back the old phrase in a post today.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Epitom of stupidity. How did the owners agree to this nonsense. O wait they are locking after the potential star players as high prized Stalions that will bring in the crowds, sell a lot of tickets and merchandise and fill there pockets.

The more you look in to theunderlying mechanisms of sports I guess you realize it's just another corrupt greed driver cancer that humanity is suffering ftom.

The entire financial economic system is so rigged, manipulated, broken that is psyphoning all joy out of life.

"Money is Cancer and the whole world is sick"

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I see plenty of physicality in our defense. Besides, a defense full of big hitters isn't necessarily a good defense either. Technique and scheme to me are far more important than big hits. The goal is to get the guy with the ball on the ground ASAP. That's it.
Big hitters doesn't equal physical to me.

We get pushed around and ran on. Opposing Offense is more physical in my eyes

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big hitters doesn't equal physical to me.

We get pushed around and ran on. Opposing Offense is more physical in my eyes
It often seems to me that the better offensive lines are bigger and stronger than us, or that maybe we need to spend more time in the weight room. Especially true on the offensive line. The better lines like the 49ers, Eagles, and now the Lions thoroughly kick our ***** on a regular basis. The organizations focus needs to be more on the lines. Games are won and lost in the pits.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Epitom of stupidity. How did the owners agree to this nonsense. O wait they are locking after the potential star players as high prized Stalions that will bring in the crowds, sell a lot of tickets and merchandise and fill there pockets.

The more you look in to theunderlying mechanisms of sports I guess you realize it's just another corrupt greed driver cancer that humanity is suffering ftom.

The entire financial economic system is so rigged, manipulated, broken that is psyphoning all joy out of life.

"Money is Cancer and the whole world is sick"
I'm recalling the top Olympians in ancient Greece as well as the top gladiators of the original colosseum were treated as celebrities also and earned a good life for the era. It is not a new thing. Babe Ruth could do no wrong. Boxers in the late 19th century. Heck I think I read that Abe Lincoln was a renowned runner in his youth.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It often seems to me that the better offensive lines are bigger and stronger than us, or that maybe we need to spend more time in the weight room. Especially true on the offensive line. The better lines like the 49ers, Eagles, and now the Lions thoroughly kick our ***** on a regular basis. The organizations focus needs to be more on the lines. Games are won and lost in the pits.

All true...but the biggest difference between the current oline and the other great olines is that the majority of the Packers' oline is injured. The Packers' oline was built for pass protection and, when healthy, has been and is one of the 5 best in the NFL.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm recalling the top Olympians in ancient Greece as well as the top gladiators of the original colosseum were treated as celebrities also and earned a good life for the era. It is not a new thing. Babe Ruth could do no wrong. Boxers in the late 19th century. Heck I think I read that Abe Lincoln was a renowned runner in his youth.
Honest Abe was a top level wrestler.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For some reason this topic always makes me think about Super Bowl XXXII, where Denver's OL was smaller than our DL, but they were big cut blockers. Anyway, it always seems like our OL is injured, every season.

I agree that the lines should be a priority, especially if we don't have a HOF quarterback anymore. Problem is, picking surefire linemen is not something that is easy to do. Then they have to work together well, and stay healthy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced it's pure strength as much as it is technique and desire. All these guys lift a lot of weights. They're all very strong. A guy looks stronger when he has the will and the technique to take it to his guy on the other side.

On Thursday night, the Lions looked like they wanted to win and expected to win. At least in the 1H, the Packers did not. I'll put most of that on coaching and not getting their guys ready, short week or not. It was a short week for both teams.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced it's pure strength as much as it is technique and desire. All these guys lift a lot of weights. They're all very strong. A guy looks stronger when he has the will and the technique to take it to his guy on the other side.

On Thursday night, the Lions looked like they wanted to win and expected to win. At least in the 1H, the Packers did not. I'll put most of that on coaching and not getting their guys ready, short week or not. It was a short week for both teams.

Short week, but the Lions had to travel, and Green Bay did not. They should have been the team more ready to play...It sure didn't look like it.

Hopefully both the players and the coaches learn from this and do a better job next time. This is still a very young team, and I do believe the arrow is pointing up for them.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Short week, but the Lions had to travel, and Green Bay did not. They should have been the team more ready to play...It sure didn't look like it.

Hopefully both the players and the coaches learn from this and do a better job next time. This is still a very young team, and I do believe the arrow is pointing up for them.
At least they definitely now know what intensity a playoff game has. Hopefully that registered.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, upset about a rule that doesn't allow the owners/teams to beat the heck out of players during the week, keep them healthier so they have potentially longer careers and hopefully improve the quality of play on the field because hopefully players won't get injured as much in practice and be on the field.

Seems like a weird flex

The NFL is a big business with a lot of money going into it. No one is going to do this for free, for the love of the game or go back to 2 a day practices in full pads to practice muh' tacklin'

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good points Curly, especially the home advantage.

One other thing that came to mind is just how well the Lions have handled the draft capital from the Stafford trade. There was a graphic at one point with four guys drafted this year who were all starting and contributing - Gibbs, La Porta and two other guys I can't remember.

And as bad as the 1H was, I agree the arrow is pointing up for the Packers. Maybe a wake up call wasn't the worst thing to happen, if they respond accordingly, starting with the R8DRS.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's only a 45-50 minute flight.
That's true but it's not the length of the flight. Anyone who travels for work knows what a hassle it is. And it's tiring. Now pro sports players do adapt, but the advantage always goes to the guys who sleep in their own beds.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true but it's not the length of the flight. Anyone who travels for work knows what a hassle it is. And it's tiring. Now pro sports players do adapt, but the advantage always goes to the guys who sleep in their own beds.
I don't know how it is now but I do remember years ago that when we played in Detroit, Chicago or MN for a noon game our guys would leave KGRB about 7:30 am and get to the stadium around 9:00 am. Don't they still do that?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure the coaching could be better, but the Lions were noticeably taller and bigger than our guys. Sometimes there's no substitute for size. The bigger they are the harder they fall they say, but if you're going to overcome that sort of disadvantage, you better have flawless technique.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what are the odds that the Jets are so bad that Robert Saleh becomes available and he becomes our DC next year? That's a buddy hire I could get on board with.

Status
Not open for further replies.