Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he thought he would get the head coach job in Madison..if Chryst quit or got fired. Guess that blew up in his face.
Jim Leonhard got paid $1million to NOT coach the Badgers. DC's in the NFL make $1-1.5mil/yr last I checked...so Jim would've been working for free if he were in GB (after payig back UW). He'll get a decent collegiate HC offer this winter & will have stability & more $$ than as a GB DC.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who are you suggesting? Do you have someone specific in mind or are you just throwing out your wish list?
Money talks so make Holmgrin an offer he can't refuse or Parcells even Urban Meyer and I'm not sure where he currently is and if available. I'm to lazy to Google it. But no matter what you say about Meyer, the man is competitive focused loves ball and tough as f.. exactly what this kids need.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at the individual talent of each defensive player as a unit of measurement, add them all up and compare that to the defense as a whole, you will see why nobody is happy with Joe Barry.

Barry has been given quite a lot of talent to work with and yet here we are. Will a new DC be able to improve upon what Barry has done in his 2+ years in Green Bay? Maybe, maybe not, but most of us would be open to trying.
One big issue might be is that we are so paranoid about injuries that we do not practice properly and as you know, the way you practice is the way you play.

Need to go back to old school hard nose practice, full contact so the tackling and ageessive mentality is an instinct not half assing **** all week then expect them to turn it on on game day.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Money talks so make Holmgrin an offer he can't refuse or Parcells even Urban Meyer and I'm not sure where he currently is and if available. I'm to lazy to Google it. But no matter what you say about Meyer, the man is competitive focused loves ball and tough as f.. exactly what this kids need.
Senior citizens prefer to enjoy the time they have left.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Woah

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the NFL REDZONE Network today, it looks like the Packers are going to have trouble with most teams.
That being said, there are still allot of bad teams including the Raiders.
So that is a must win game. I understand the packers are rebuilding, but we can rebuild and still keep our dignity.
Well said. Games against the Raiders, Broncos, one more with the Bears, Vikings, Panthers, maybe Tampa should all be winnable. That's 7 more winnable games right there. Now they'll lose a game or two on that list, and win probably one where they're an underdog. That's get them close to 9 wins which is where most of us thought they'd end up.

I'm ok with that. But I think an unsaid part of this switch to Love, and all the first round picks on D, and the young but talented receivers, is that this team would then compete deep into the playoffs. Not this year, but certainly starting next year. A lot of things still have to happen - Love has to really be the guy, the receivers need to improve, find a new DC, and please get the OL in line, meaning replacing Bakhtiari - for starters (no pun intended).

Time will tell.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course that has changed the way the game is played. A lot of why Lombardi's teams won was because they were physically tougher than their opponents due to the 2 a days in preseason. And when you are physically tougher you become mentally tougher. John Wooden's great UCLA teams were in better condition than their opponents due to the endless lane drills they would practice.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then why are other teams Def more physical?
I see plenty of physicality in our defense. Besides, a defense full of big hitters isn't necessarily a good defense either. Technique and scheme to me are far more important than big hits. The goal is to get the guy with the ball on the ground ASAP. That's it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I see plenty of physicality in our defense. Besides, a defense full of big hitters isn't necessarily a good defense either. Technique and scheme to me are far more important than big hits. The goal is to get the guy with the ball on the ground ASAP. That's it.
All about proper pad level. :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
After the Lions game, MLF said this about Barry and the defense.

"We're going to have to do something different. It's insane to do the same things over and over again and expect different results."

To that I would respond "Matt, if Barry can only do the same thing, over and over again, isn't Barry the problem?"

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the Lions game, MLF said this about Barry and the defense.

"We're going to have to do something different. It's insane to do the same things over and over again and expect different results."

To that I would respond "Matt, if Barry can only do the same thing, over and over again, isn't Barry the problem?"
That's funny. Or, "Matt, you just admitted that Barry is insane."

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of why Lombardi's teams won was because they were physically tougher than their opponents due to the 2 a days in preseason.
Didn't the rest of the league also do two a days? Plus all the other "build a man" type drills? Lombardi's teams played smart and within the plan. Pursue perfection and along the way achieve excellence type mantra.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be honest, there is no Fritz Shurmur, Buddy Ryan, Phil Bengston, Monte Kiffin, or **** LeBeau that was going to put in a scheme that would have worked last night. Except for Quay Walker and Rashan Gary, it seemed like most of our defensive players were playing at 3/4 speed. The D-line seems to have their own pride that often motivates them, but not last night. Darnell Savage is playing for a contract this season and has played with fire, but not last night. They were pushed out of the way consistently and out of position, trying to play hero ball.

Maybe Buddy Ryan could inspire these guys in a way that Barry can't, but I don't think that the scheme was the big issue.
There are lots of reasons that a defense falters unrelated to talent. Right now the Packers have a lot of talent, I believe.

Bad scheme
No motivation
Lack of belief in the system
Bad game plan
No adjustments
Poor teaching
No cohesion
Predictable or 'tells'
Overly complex

As far as Berry goes, I think it is a good scheme. Where he fails, is poor game plans, no adjustments, and poor teaching. This all leads to lack of belief. Some of the other issues may be true, tough to say from fan perspective. But this is MLFs responsibility. He decided to keep Berry. Not sure what those conversations were or agreements made, but it just isn't workng. I'm not sure if there is someone you can promote on defense to take over. We probably have to wait till next year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if that is the plan?

We knew we were going to stuggle anyway. Both a young QB and young receivers isnt a recipe for sucess. So keep Berry and see what he can do but probably moving on for 2024.

Get some higher picks in 2024.
Get a new DC.
Clear the dead cap from Rodgers.
Sign a key FA or two.
And make a 2 or 3 year superbowl window run.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if that is the plan?

We knew we were going to stuggle anyway. Both a young QB and young receivers isnt a recipe for sucess. So keep Berry and see what he can do but probably moving on for 2024.

Get some higher picks in 2024.
Get a new DC.
Clear the dead cap from Rodgers.
Sign a key FA or two.
And make a 2 or 3 year superbowl window run.
Rogers, gone. Bahk counts next year for about half of what AR cost the team this year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers, gone. Bahk counts next year for about half of what AR cost the team this year.
Cut Bahk next year and we have nearly $56M in cap space. That will get us 2 studs.

That's according to over the cap.

Not sure if they factor in a salary cap increase or not.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't the rest of the league also do two a days? Plus all the other "build a man" type drills? Lombardi's teams played smart and within the plan. Pursue perfection and along the way achieve excellence type mantra.
In weight lifting, form is much more important than weight or reps. So while I’d like the Packers to play a more physical brand of football, it involves playing wisely and with intent. That’s how the Lions played on Thursday.

And of course, pad level! (That was for Poker, who is fanatical about pad level.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online