Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is everyone so convinced a DC change will turn around the defense? I heard the same exact talk after we canned Dom, then again when we canned Pettine. Your coordinator isn't the reason you're giving up 200+ yards on the ground.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is everyone so convinced a DC change will turn around the defense? I heard the same exact talk after we canned Dom, then again when we canned Pettine. Your coordinator isn't the reason you're giving up 200+ yards on the ground.
At least for me, it's because I hate bend but don't break. I hate linebackers or DEs covering people when it is 3rd down. I hate playing the corners off too far on 3rd down. Even when it is late in the game and we need the ball back. I hate giving up too many long drives. And it isn't like there aren't a bunch of 3rd downs. Early on we do good against the run.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If you look at the individual talent of each defensive player as a unit of measurement, add them all up and compare that to the defense as a whole, you will see why nobody is happy with Joe Barry.

Barry has been given quite a lot of talent to work with and yet here we are. Will a new DC be able to improve upon what Barry has done in his 2+ years in Green Bay? Maybe, maybe not, but most of us would be open to trying.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't just fire Barry, fire Lafleur and Barry both along with most of the assistant coaches, and take a long hard look at the strength&conditioning program.

This team is soft. They are playing like a bunch of metrosexual premadonnas not man.

We need to hire a tough, hard nosed no nonsense coach who can get in there faces and turn this girls in to man.

Lafleur ain't it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Well now that expectations have been (re)set, maybe we can enjoy some good football when it happens. This is an 8-9 or 9-8 team. There will be good moments, and not so good moments.
And what was your prediction before the season? Mine was in the 8-9 wins range IIRC. Games like this were factored in. I expected <.500 going into December. A much better and hopeful 4-1 over the last 5 weeks. Quite similar to last season.
Well..they did hire the cheapest guy they could find. You get what you pay for. Heck even Brian Flores is making a mediocre viqueens defense look competent!
I wonder the true reason, not the stated one, as to why Jim Leonhard didn't accept the job. Is he coaching anywhere right now?
It seems like we're all piling on Barry. IMO, it's deserved. And it causes me to doubt MLF's judgement for keeping him around.
You're in the Fire Barry thread. Piling on is to be expected.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he thought he would get the head coach job in Madison..if Chryst quit or got fired. Guess that blew up in his face.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to hire a tough, hard nosed no nonsense coach who can get in there faces and turn this girls in to man.

Lafleur ain't it.
Who are you suggesting? Do you have someone specific in mind or are you just throwing out your wish list?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And what was your prediction before the season? Mine was in the 8-9 wins range IIRC. Games like this were factored in. I expected <.500 going into December. A much better and hopeful 4-1 over the last 5 weeks. Quite similar to last season.

I wonder the true reason, not the stated one, as to why Jim Leonhard didn't accept the job. Is he coaching anywhere right now?

You're in the Fire Barry thread. Piling on is to be expected.
Yeah I think most fans, including me, saw this as an 8-9, 9-8 team coming in. I agree that a loss, or losses, to the Lions were expected. I did not expect the complete failure to compete that was on display in the 1H. They saved some face in the 2H, but the damage had been done. No matter where they finish, that was an embarrassing display of football.

As for firing Barry, yeah I was on board with that when last season ended. MLF didn't see it that way and we've got the same defense. I don't think MLF will make a change this season, so piling on just means - ok most of us don't like Barry, we're mad he wasn't fired last year, and we're sick of what we're seeing this year. Maybe it's not piling on. Maybe it's just calling Barry's abilities as a DC for what they are - non-existent.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at the individual talent of each defensive player as a unit of measurement, add them all up and compare that to the defense as a whole, you will see why nobody is happy with Joe Barry.

Barry has been given quite a lot of talent to work with and yet here we are. Will a new DC be able to improve upon what Barry has done in his 2+ years in Green Bay? Maybe, maybe not, but most of us would be open to trying.
You guys are flat out overrating the "talent" we have on defense. Gary is the only guy on defense I trust to show up. Alexander is usually quite good as well. It's meh every where else. The DL is bottom of the barrel bad.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who are you suggesting? Do you have someone specific in mind or are you just throwing out your wish list?
Good point. MLF's public persona is as a nice guy, and I guess people would rather see someone who chews coffee beans like Dan Campbell.

A HC can be a nice guy and still demand and get the best effort from his players. Considering how young this team is, I'm fine giving MLF two or three years, post Rodgers, to see what he can do. Finding a new DC in the off season would be a move in the right direction, as would an immediate switch to a physical brand of football. This team plays too soft, or at least it looks that way.

Outsider99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the NFL REDZONE Network today, it looks like the Packers are going to have trouble with most teams.
That being said, there are still allot of bad teams including the Raiders.
So that is a must win game. I understand the packers are rebuilding, but we can rebuild and still keep our dignity.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the NFL REDZONE Network today, it looks like the Packers are going to have trouble with most teams.
So that is a must win game. I understand the packers are rebuilding, but we can rebuild and still keep our dignity.
We have one of the softest schedules in the league. Not sure when the last one was.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I didn't watch the NFL Redzone, but if the last 4 games were setting the stage for the rest of the season, The Packers will win some more games, against the weaker teams and probably get blown out by some of the better teams.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We have one of the softest schedules in the league. Not sure when the last one was.
Finishing 3rd in your division helps, gives us Giants, Rams, Steelers. As does facing the NFC South and the AFC West. Not to mention we get the Bears and Queens twice.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well so much for chasing guys. The best way is to find a young, up and coming guy who has excelled at coaching more than one unit. I don't know any names off hand, but they must be out there. Coaching in the NFL is becoming a very young person's job.
Jim Lenord

BTW

The Def since 2012? has always been an issue...no matter who is the coach or players.

No matter the head coach for that matter.

So why?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Def since 2012? has always been an issue...no matter who is the coach or players.

No matter the head coach for that matter.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't watch the NFL Redzone, but if the last 4 games were setting the stage for the rest of the season, The Packers will win some more games, against the weaker teams and probably get blown out by some of the better teams.
If you watch the 9ers you see why their QB has it pretty good. They put on a blocking clinic. Maybe the best in the league. Makes us look like a HS team.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finishing 3rd in your division helps, gives us Giants, Rams, Steelers. As does facing the NFC South and the AFC West. Not to mention we get the Bears and Queens twice.
And the mighty Raiders!

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched. I did not find it encouraging as the Bears, Falcons and Saints all looked pretty bad. Thank goodness for this years schedule. On the other hand a tough schedule could sure help with draft position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts