Brayden Narveson

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Half serious, half joking - would we be any worse off if we'd just kept Anders?

Small sample size, sure, so I guess you could try and convince yourself there's more possible upside with Narveson, but I don't know...

FWIW:
Narveson this year is sitting at 69% overall field goals made. 100% 20-29 yards, 66% 30-39 yards, 50% 40-49 yards, and hasn't attempted any over 50 yards.

Last season Carlson was 82% overall on field goals. 100% 20-29 yards, 100% 30-39 yards, 50% 40-49 yards, and 60% at 50+ yards.

Narveson does have the advantage of being 100% on XPs while Carlson last year finished at 87%.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I believe it will be difficult finding anyone who can come in cold and automatically make us better. It takes time to develop continuity between the kicker, holder, and snapper.

Would I favor looking for someone else? Who's left but more castoffs? Not certain we'd do better. It's up to the coaching staff.
That is basically the problem in a nutshell. Much like Gute had to do with Anders Carlson, he might have to ride this season out with Narveson or perhaps another JAG kicker. Basically, this isn't a problem that will likely just fix itself in 1 game.

Each non-bye week, there are 32 guys kicking in the NFL, only about half of them are consistent for the entire season. We had that consistency with Mason Crosby, yet fans still wanted him gone.

If we end the 2024 season in search of a K, I hope Gute decides to go after the best available one in Free Agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So we stand at 2-2 with 5 more games before trade deadline.
Rams Cardinals Texans Lions Jaguars
A Definitive number would be going
4-1 on that stretch.
Another possibility would be going 3-2
(5-4) but beating the Lions and closing the Gap on The Vikings by 1 game or more. So we’re either tied even or 1 game out if the Division Lead

I’ll just say that the more I peak at our schedule the more I think we can go 3-2 or 4-1 by deadline

Right now we can’t even make a FG so we’ve got our work cut out.
I guess you have to look at more than just record, but where the team seems to be heading. For example, yesterday the Vikings only won by 2 points, but I think on the field, at least yesterday, the Vikings were the much better team across the board. Maybe that changes and we get lucky on our own injuries, as well as catch a few teams on our schedule during their bigger injuries.

I guess I just don't see this young team going very far in the playoffs, they need to get better and more consistent.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I've never been on board as to his being the "savior." But I felt the kid has a strong enough leg, and could develop the consistency we need. I'm not convinced at this point it's a lost cause, even though he's caused people to be skeptical. I'm on board with that. He's proving he's inconsistent at this point, so it's obviously a mechanical issue. Fixable? I don't know. It depends on his mental state.

I believe it will be difficult finding anyone who can come in cold and automatically make us better. It takes time to develop continuity between the kicker, holder, and snapper.

Would I favor looking for someone else? Who's left but more castoffs? Not certain we'd do better. It's up to the coaching staff.
I'm thinking it's more mental right now.

OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's more mental right now.
This more than likely is a big factor at this point. He has to be on the edge every day, wondering if he's going to have a job or not. For a Packer kicker, for over two years now, it's been living out of a suitcase, because you don't know if you're going to have a job next week or not.

That's a problem created by management. Nobody knows from day to day what they will do. LeFleur keeps saying he believes in Narvy, but we have Gute up there in the tower, making decisions. Not showing any support for the guy. Always looking to bring another candidate in to kick a few times in practice to impress him, and hopefully LeFleur.

But, based on a comment LeFleur made a while back, the decision who will be kicking off the tee next week has been Gute's decision. That, by the way, concerns me. Does that mean Gute makes the roster decisions, and Mike just gets to run whatever he tells him he has, or does Mike have some decision level in who stays and who goes?

There always seems to be some little burr under the saddle that makes each season risky.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the issue though fellas....good kickers don't grow on trees....

Currently with McManus announcement coming out that he will not be disciplined and able to sign with folks people are screaming for him....

In his 10 years folks guess how many times he broke 85% on FGs.....

Guess how many times he broke 86%??

ZERO

Crazy thing is he is the most experienced that seems to be out there looking for a job...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bullock of the veterans out there makes the most sense....he's only had one year under 80% (rookie year) his last 5 have been 87, 81, 84, 85 and 83.

Not a massive upgrade by anymeans...but against kicker is that position that it seems folks expect near perfection with...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ironically, as it turns out, Narveson is presently the ONLY kicker in the league to miss a sub-40 yard FG this year thus far. Leaguewide is 115/116.

Nine league wide extra points have been missed though - which is what 33 yarder?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Half serious, half joking - would we be any worse off if we'd just kept Anders?

Small sample size, sure, so I guess you could try and convince yourself there's more possible upside with Narveson, but I don't know...

FWIW:
Narveson this year is sitting at 69% overall field goals made. 100% 20-29 yards, 66% 30-39 yards, 50% 40-49 yards, and hasn't attempted any over 50 yards.

Last season Carlson was 82% overall on field goals. 100% 20-29 yards, 100% 30-39 yards, 50% 40-49 yards, and 60% at 50+ yards.

Narveson does have the advantage of being 100% on XPs while Carlson last year finished at 87%.

Anders was oddly a roller coaster on XPs way more than field goals...I mean truthfully his field goals he was 20 for 20 under 40 yards. BUT was 7 for 13 over 40...

Anders and Narveson are truly it seems VERY similar young kickers when it comes to field goal attempts...but one thing Narveson has been pure on is XPs it seems.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Currently with McManus announcement coming out that he will not be disciplined and able to sign with folks people are screaming for him....

ZERO

Crazy thing is he is the most experienced that seems to be out there looking for a job...
Good point - good kickers don't grow on trees. But with Gluten unceremoniously dumping Carlson and Joseph and going with a completely new guy, Narvesson - well the message is "keep your bags packed". I understand that, I really do. It just adds more pressure to the kickers to perform. Then again, if they're gonna make it in the NFL, they better know how to deal with pressure.

So for now, stick with Narvesson. He's missing because of his head, not his leg and foot. Did Gluten stick with the wrong guy? Maybe. But I won't second guess him. Well, not now......

McManus? Name sounds familiar. Who did he play for and what is the problem with him? Thanks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nine league wide extra points have been missed though - which is what 33 yarder?
It's somewhere around there. I thought it was 35 yards for an XP. And wow, nine missed this year. The league made it so it wasn't a gimme, and added the two-point conversion. Guys will miss from this distance. But it should be like 1% of the time, or just very low.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point - good kickers don't grow on trees. But with Gluten unceremoniously dumping Carlson and Joseph and going with a completely new guy, Narvesson - well the message is "keep your bags packed". I understand that, I really do. It just adds more pressure to the kickers to perform. Then again, if they're gonna make it in the NFL, they better know how to deal with pressure.

So for now, stick with Narvesson. He's missing because of his head, not his leg and foot. Did Gluten stick with the wrong guy? Maybe. But I won't second guess him. Well, not now......

McManus? Name sounds familiar. Who did he play for and what is the problem with him? Thanks.
Last question first - McManus was Denver's kicker for years.

The biggest issue is we had Anders who struggled migthedly at XPs but was pure under 40 yards....Joseph who had only two seasons over 83% (87 and 85) so wasn't exactly some amazing prodigy and a promising rookie.... My hunch is Gute and Co said we essentially have three guys all similar - one that shows promise but has one year of experience and had XP issues...another guy who has been in the league and nerves aren't his issue he is just inconsistent....and a new young kid that shows promise but is an unknown and appears solid on XPs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's somewhere around there. I thought it was 35 yards for an XP. And wow, nine missed this year. The league made it so it wasn't a gimme, and added the two-point conversion. Guys will miss from this distance. But it should be like 1% of the time, or just very low.

League wide we are presently at (Pro Football Reference) 257 for 266 on extra points. I believe that includes Monday night games last night.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last question first - McManus was Denver's kicker for years.

The biggest issue is we had Anders who struggled migthedly at XPs but was pure under 40 yards....Joseph who had only two seasons over 83% (87 and 85) so wasn't exactly some amazing prodigy and a promising rookie.... My hunch is Gute and Co said we essentially have three guys all similar - one that shows promise but has one year of experience and had XP issues...another guy who has been in the league and nerves aren't his issue he is just inconsistent....and a new young kid that shows promise but is an unknown and appears solid on XPs.
Yeah that's a good summary, and it was a calculated risk by Gluten, meaning there was/is probably a better than 50% chance that Narvesson plays at least as well as Joseph. I don't know why Carlson missed so many XPs, but that did become a non-starter. He didn't look like a bag of nerves, quite the opposite. I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually makes it in the NFL.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah that's a good summary, and it was a calculated risk by Gluten, meaning there was/is probably a better than 50% chance that Narvesson plays at least as well as Joseph. I don't know why Carlson missed so many XPs, but that did become a non-starter. He didn't look like a bag of nerves, quite the opposite. I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually makes it in the NFL.

My biggest issue with Anders was his inconsistent ball striking. That dude rarely missed two ways the same. Narveson strikes very consistent....again doesn't mean much until we see a large sample size and if improvement happens.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest issue with Anders was his inconsistent ball striking. That dude rarely missed two ways the same. Narveson strikes very consistent....again doesn't mean much until we see a large sample size and if improvement happens.
Carlson was wild with his strike. And that's hard to correct. I agree Narvesson strikes the ball consistently. Hey these guys come out of college and all of a sudden, face moments where they are the most important person on the team. Everyone, millions sometimes, are watching.

So I get it if he's working through some nerves. A lot of people are calling for his head but that makes no sense to me, at least not now.

And if anyone wants to wonder why the Packers lost Sunday, I'd start with five turnovers before I got to the kicking game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carlson was wild with his strike. And that's hard to correct. I agree Narvesson strikes the ball consistently. Hey these guys come out of college and all of a sudden, face moments where they are the most important person on the team. Everyone, millions sometimes, are watching.

So I get it if he's working through some nerves. A lot of people are calling for his head but that makes no sense to me, at least not now.

And if anyone wants to wonder why the Packers lost Sunday, I'd start with five turnovers before I got to the kicking game.

Truthfully it makes sense if we have someone else wanting to come in or a clear vet to take over. I mean at this point I'm not opposed if Crosby did want a curtain call to come back and put Narveson on the PS for a year....but truthfully I'm a ride the kicker through and make changes in off season if we must.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ZERO

Right now, an 80-85% kicker looks like a huge upgrade over Narveson. The kicker situation is a mess and could easily derail the season. Getting a veteran has risks but they aren't as big as sticking with Narveson.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now, an 80-85% kicker looks like a huge upgrade over Narveson. The kicker situation is a mess and could easily derail the season. Getting a veteran has risks but they aren't as big as sticking with Narveson.

Until last game he was. And if he goes out there in week 5 and goes say 3 for 3 he's at 81.25% Which FTR he's kicked 4, 4, 3 and 2 so going 3 for 3 as he did against Tenn is quite possible.

Sample size is still tiny on him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also there isn't a veteran out their available that consistently hits over 80% by much...these are the guys many bring up:

McManus - career is at 81.1% (54% over 50 yards)
Bullock - 16 year career is at 83.4% (51.7% from 50+)
Riley Patterson - 88.1% (50% from 50+) autrociously rough preseason in Washington but only three years in he is still young
Matthew Knight - Career is 85.1% (just 6 of 9 from 50+) *has never been a teams' full time starter with only one season being active over 10 games the last six years.
Brett Maher - 79.9% career (64.7% at 50+) His last three years he's hit 84.9% but last year he hit just 73.9% and struggled with XPs
Anders - 81.8% (60% from 50+)...dude had a sub 90% in extra points though - seriously if he'd just hit those consistently I firmly believe Anders would still be here.

Even Crosby I'll toss in - 81.3% for career (55% from 50+)

That's it really....of notable kickers with experience.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would like to know how much the chemistry between the LS, holder and kicker matters. I know at one point, it was an "excuse" being thrown around during one of Crosby's cold streaks. While I don't know the answer, I have to guess, it matters, to what extent, I don't know.

So if the chemistry does matter, changing kickers every month isn't helping that. I wouldn't be surprised if ST coach Rich Bisaccia has been sticking up for his kickers and saying "gotta give them a chance and some time".

Now if Gute and the Packers have had it with Narveson, McManus is about the best FA K out there, but I don't see the Packers wanting to take on his baggage. Otherwise you got Riley Patterson, Matthew Wright, Randy Bullock and *gulp*, Anders Carlson as being probably the 4 best other options.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to know how much the chemistry between the LS, holder and kicker matters. I know at one point, it was an "excuse" being thrown around during one of Crosby's cold streaks. While I don't know the answer, I have to guess, it matters, to what extent, I don't know.

So if the chemistry does matter, changing kickers every month isn't helping that. I wouldn't be surprised if ST coach Rich Bisaccia has been sticking up for his kickers and saying "gotta give them a chance and some time".

Now if Gute and the Packers have had it with Narveson, McManus is about the best FA K out there, but I don't see the Packers wanting to take on his baggage. Otherwise you got Riley Patterson, Matthew Wright, Randy Bullock and *gulp*, Anders Carlson as being probably the 4 best other options.
Just broke them all down along with Maher and old man Crosby.

Maher has the highest coin flip potential and least amount of baggage...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts