Brayden Narveson

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I posted above, I'm serious when I say his inability to manage special teams is ruining his tenure as GM. Right now, it looks like he can't fix it.
Ouch, but accurate, especially when a game is lost in large part from bad kicking. I think it is very hard to evaluate a K just coming into the league. I won't second guess Gluten, yet, but he has to get someone better and now - and that shouldn't be that hard. Missing inside the 50 at Lambeau on a near perfect day is very close to unforgivable. We all know conditions are likely to get worse from here.

Don crowley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things change fast after cutdowns. Today the Packers released Joseph and picked up rookie Brayden Narveson from the Titans. He had a good camp and PS, but the Titans decided to stay with veteran Nick Folk.

He's a big dude, 5'10" and 215 lbs. I only saw one picture but it looks like he has huge legs.

Gotta give Gluten credit. He's moved on from drafted players who just didn't cut it - Carlson, Clifford, Pratt, Kalen King. He won't let his ego get in the way of improving the team. Then again, with all the draft picks he makes each year (10 or 11) there are gonna be some clunkers. The only stat I saw on Narveson was he made 785 of his kicks in college and all XPs. Gluten liked him enough to jettison Joseph. In Gluten we trust.
Cutting king was a mistake kid is tough unlike# 23 who is softer then baby **** and kickers every team in the league has a guy kicking 50+ yard fg every week and we haven’t found a guy tht can convert from inside 45 consistently special teams is huge part and it costs us the game yesterday would have been a all time comeback held up by a kicker does Crosby have a younger brother?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What game moving forward can't the special teams lose? There are already 1-2 loses this season because of special teams. These "extra" loses are added to other future loses that may not be the fault of the special teams. One or two more "extra" loses and the season will go down the drain. That may sound alarmist but it's true. The division is tough. Right now, I wouldn't bet on the Packers being better than 3-3 in the division which makes the kicking game even more of devastating failure.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it appears once more LaFleur has given his vote of confidence. Just another in a long line of him backing players/staff who we all know will eventually get sent packing.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not a bad idea at all. But Willis hasn't done enough yet to warrant a deal for what he is probably worth. Even though I know you're kidding a bit.

Back to your final point, the kicker dilemma has to be fixed. That cost the team a game yesterday, and it's not too much to ask a pro kicker to hit from inside the 50 most of the time, especially from inside the 40.

All that said I don't know the answer. But finding a street agent or an UDFA on a PS somewhere is one approach. I'll let Gluten figure this out.
And to some extent it hurt us in Week One as well.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And to some extent it hurt us in Week One as well.
Yes that's correct. He has missed FGs in all four games I believe. That's not gonna cut it in the NFL, especially come post-season.

Gluten will have to reach and hope he guesses right. I don't blame him. It's hard to know how college kickers will do in the pros, very hard.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it appears once more LaFleur has given his vote of confidence.
Yes he did. I wouldn't expect him to do anything else. As long as Narveson's on the team, do you think he'd say anything else and ruin whatever little confidence Narveson has left?

Reaction score
Special teams are still a mess. If I'm Gute, I really have to start wondering if my entire tenure will go down as a special teams debacle.
I don’t know. The Punt/Kick coverage and Punting team sure looked pretty good. I think if we just fixed our FG dilemma we’re good. Maybe trade for a Kicker before deadline?

I’d bring in Riley Patterson for competition. I think he’s a FA.
1. more experienced
2. Adequate range 53 Long, 50% over 50 yards 3/6
3. minimal expense
4. He’s got Regional ties. From IL He’s familiar with Minnesota and Detroit.
5. He’s 59/67 FGM (88.1%)
93/97 XPM (95.9%)
40/42 inside 40 yards.
6. Released Aug. 22 and has had regular work recently

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he did. I wouldn't expect him to do anything else. As long as Narveson's on the team, do you think he'd say anything else and ruin whatever little confidence Narveson has left?
Yeah MLF is doing the right thing. If he stays, Narveson just has to suck it up.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know. The Punt/Kick coverage and Punting team sure looked pretty good. I think if we just fixed our FG dilemma we’re good. Maybe trade for a Kicker before deadline?

1. more experienced
3. minimal expense
93/97 XPM (95.9%)
40/42 inside 40 yards.
The kicker is costing games despite other areas of special teams doing OK. Whack-a-mole if I ever saw it. Problem is fixing the kicker debacle mid-season is going to be very tall order. What are the chances you get to the playoffs or make your way through the playoff games that are close with a kicker that you can't trust to make a 37 yard kick? Not very good. That's why the kicker position could easily derail the season. Most games are close in the NFL and you can't afford a Narveson.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, trouble is that we've been through this many times before now.
LaFleur will talk about how he "trusts" or "has confidence" in so-and-so...but then will make decisions that seem to suggest otherwise. With ~ 4 minutes left in the 3rd, down 28-7 and facing 4th and 8th from the MIN 32, is that a situation where you go for it on 4th if you trust and are confident in your kicker? You can argue that we needed more than 3 points there, and that's fair, but in the same situation if you felt confident that your kicker would make it, you'd probably take the points all the same. We saw this last week as well - we had what would have been a 55-yarder, but we took an intentional delay of game and punted. Despite what we've heard about his leg, LaFleur's not even let him attempt anything past 50 yards yet. So I'm not sure how much I buy that confidence.

But at the same time, maybe I do. Like I said - we've also seen before where LaFleur gives someone his vote of confidence and it seems like empty talk...except then they end up staying around for much, much longer - end up costing us time after time - and only end up getting let go when it's simply impossible to keep them.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The kicker is costing games despite other areas of special teams doing OK. Whack-a-mole if I ever saw it. Problem is fixing the kicker debacle mid-season is going to be very tall order. What are the chances you get to the playoffs or make your way through the playoff games that are close with a kicker that you can't trust to make a 37 yard kick? Not very good. That's why the kicker position could easily derail the season. Most games are close in the NFL and you can't afford a Narveson.
Ironically, as it turns out, Narveson is presently the ONLY kicker in the league to miss a sub-40 yard FG this year thus far. Leaguewide is 115/116.

Reaction score
I agree.
Yet I will also offer that these consecutive misses have been somewhat uncharacteristic to his stat line. I think it could be just adjusting to the Pro level. My suggestion would be get a backup plan yesterday. I like this Riley Patterson kid above. I just looked across a few teams that either drafted at K or recently cut a Kicker like we did. He immediately jumped out because he’s got experience in the NFL and actually has performed at a good level. So last year he had 1 game where he missed 2 XPA, Everybody has a bad game. Hes s 96% XPM INCLUDING those. Patterson’s current 88% is like Crosby’s 4th best season across 16 years. Patterson career XPA essentially tied Crosby’s #2 best XPA made across his last 8 seasons. 96.1 vs 95.9
Let’s give Narveson a few more games to prove himself. However I’d bring in competition behind him, so that if we’re 2-3 more games in having this problem we switch up.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate it when the first tackler on a punt gets there and runs by the returner. Yes, sometimes the guy is trying to fake you out and let the ball go over his head. But every time the tackler doesn't slow down and be right there to tackle the guy after he catches the ball; it gives the returner a chance and usually 10 yards. It seems like it would be a simple thing to coach. Just be aware where the returner is while you are fighting off the blocker. I don't get it. It happens all the time on a lot of teams. And then some teams do it right. Gotta be coaching.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Cutting king was a mistake kid is tough unlike# 23 who is softer then baby ****

Not sure where this comment is coming from. Kalen King was cut and resigned to the Practice Squad, which, he is still a member of. Are you proposing that King is better than Jaire?

Maybe you were talking about Kevin King? I hope not, I for one am glad that Kevin King wasn't resigned in 2022.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ironically, as it turns out, Narveson is presently the ONLY kicker in the league to miss a sub-40 yard FG this year thus far. Leaguewide is 115/116.
And it was still in September. If he is still kicking around Xmas he will find it even more. Challenging

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Joseph kick 5 the other night for NY?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1. more experienced
3. minimal expense
93/97 XPM (95.9%)
40/42 inside 40 yards.
Media said that MLF went for it on 4th and 10 because he had less faith in his kicker hitting from 50.

Reaction score
Not sure where this comment is coming from. Kalen King was cut and resigned to the Practice Squad, which, he is still a member of. Are you proposing that King is better than Jaire?

Maybe you were talking about Kevin King? I hope not, I for one am glad that Kevin King wasn't resigned in 2022.
Speaking of which. IF we are in contention before trade deadline? I’m not opposed to perfecting a trade deal in that more medium starter level athlete. CB seems to be an area (it is a high volume usage area) that is affected by injuries more regular. IF there was a player on the level of “Rasul Douglas type” looking for work on a contender? I’m sucking up the prorated $$ parting with a pick swap to get him.
We just seem like past our Starters at CB our depth is a little shaky. IF we had someone like Rasul I’d feel much better. Nixon is ok he makes some plays and gives up some plays, but he’s not a starting perimeter CB. You don’t want him playing outside for much longer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is that Hunch feel now
Well, I've never been on board as to his being the "savior." But I felt the kid has a strong enough leg, and could develop the consistency we need. I'm not convinced at this point it's a lost cause, even though he's caused people to be skeptical. I'm on board with that. He's proving he's inconsistent at this point, so it's obviously a mechanical issue. Fixable? I don't know. It depends on his mental state.

I believe it will be difficult finding anyone who can come in cold and automatically make us better. It takes time to develop continuity between the kicker, holder, and snapper.

Would I favor looking for someone else? Who's left but more castoffs? Not certain we'd do better. It's up to the coaching staff.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Speaking of which. IF we are in contention before trade deadline? I’m not opposed to perfecting a trade deal in that more medium starter level athlete. CB seems to be an area (it is a high volume usage area) that is affected by injuries more regular. IF there was a player on the level of “Rasul Douglas type” looking for work on a contender? I’m sucking up the prorated $$ parting with a pick swap to get him.
We just seem like past our Starters at CB our depth is a little shaky. IF we had someone like Rasul I’d feel much better. Nixon is ok he makes some plays and gives up some plays, but he’s not a starting perimeter CB. You don’t want him playing outside for much longer.
Define "Contention" VS "Hope". ;)

Personally, I think we may be seeing a team that is still trying to find their way, with a very young roster in 2024. While youth isn't a bad thing, I think you see more mistakes and inconsistency. That said, I wouldn't give up too much long term capital for short term gains. Now signing a guy like Douglas off of someone else's practice squad, makes a lot of sense, but you have to find those diamonds.

This teams future is 2025 and beyond. I would try to send as much cap forward as I can. As well as keep looking to improve the roster, but not by trading away draft capital or spending cap on 1/2 season fixes.

Reaction score
Define "Contention" VS "Hope". ;)

Personally, I think we may be seeing a team that is still trying to find their way, with a very young roster in 2024. While youth isn't a bad thing, I think you see more mistakes and inconsistency. That said, I wouldn't give up too much long term capital for short term gains. Now signing a guy like Douglas off of someone else's practice squad, makes a lot of sense, but you have to find those diamonds.

This teams future is 2025 and beyond. I would try to send as much cap forward as I can. As well as keep looking to improve the roster, but not by trading away draft capital or spending cap on 1/2 season fixes.
So we stand at 2-2 with 5 more games before trade deadline.
Rams Cardinals Texans Lions Jaguars
A Definitive number would be going
4-1 on that stretch.
Another possibility would be going 3-2
(5-4) but beating the Lions and closing the Gap on The Vikings by 1 game or more. So we’re either tied even or 1 game out if the Division Lead

I’ll just say that the more I peak at our schedule the more I think we can go 3-2 or 4-1 by deadline

Right now we can’t even make a FG so we’ve got our work cut out.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts