Bakhtiari to Jets?

Reaction score
Right, but no way around the $19M.

yes we lose a good player but we’re already at that juncture.
If we recoup $21.5mil off expectation that’s a substantial amount of Cap space freed up and some should be applied to fix OL

I think we should go out and find a Billy Turner type player in FA +
use 1 of our top 3 draft selections at OL. That means very likely at worst a top 50-something selection or better. Its looking more and more like that Jets selection we recoup could be a top50 overall player.

I wish David all the best. It’s time
to go another direction as this is too much energy spent and LT is now an issue that is distracting at best.

Now I know people want to support Walker, but he’s just not the short term answer. Between Newman and Walker its going to get Jordan killed

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we recoup $21.5mil off expectation that’s a substantial amount of Cap space freed up and some should be applied to fix OL

use 1 of our top 3 draft selections at OL. That means very likely at worst a top 50-something selection or better. Its looking more and more like that Jets selection we recoup could be a top50 overall player.

to go another direction as this is too much energy spent and LT is now an issue that is distracting at best.

Now I know people want to support Walker, but he’s just not the short term answer. Between Newman and Walker its going to get Jordan killed
Our guard play just is not going to get it done. The O Line is the best investment to help Love. He will do the rest.

Reaction score
Our guard play just is not going to get it done. The O Line is the best investment to help Love. He will do the rest.
Yes. Good chance we have Elgton back on 10/22 after the Bye.
From a draft perspective we’ve been pretty frugal at OL the last couple of drafts. Across the last 2 drafts and 24 draft selections we’ve invested a
#92, #140, #249

We should have 10+ selections this draft and I’d like to see us hit OL again with a top 50 selection.
Plus a more proven Veteran added via FA. I’d also like to see what we have with Sean Rhyan (our #92 selection above). While I suppose he had concerns at LT/RT where he achieved 1st-Team PAC-12 honors He’s is a 6’5”X321lb behemoth and can certainly hold anchor at Guard better against Bull Rushes than what we saw with Royce Newman.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Agree

Hindsight is 20/20 but many of us talked about purging Bahk last offseason, before 3/17/23, when his $9.5M roster bonus kicked in (later converted to signing bonus, to spread over 2 years). At that time, the Packers still didn't have a deal with the Jets for Rodgers, but Rodgers had gone public with the fact that he would play for the Jets. I have to wonder if the Jets might have been interested in trading for Bahk.

Anyway, it's a situation that has turned into a not just a cap loss, but leaving a big hole at LT. Hopefully, with more work, Walker will be that LT to finally replace Bahk.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree

Hindsight is 20/20 but many of us talked about purging Bahk last offseason, before 3/17/23, when his $9.5M roster bonus kicked in (later converted to signing bonus, to spread over 2 years). At that time, the Packers still didn't have a deal with the Jets for Rodgers, but Rodgers had gone public with the fact that he would play for the Jets. I have to wonder if the Jets might have been interested in trading for Bahk.

Anyway, it's a situation that has turned into a not just a cap loss, but leaving a big hole at LT. Hopefully, with more work, Walker will be that LT to finally replace Bahk.
Walker has a ways to go. He got baptized versus Detroit. But he can get better.

Reaction score
Walker has a ways to go. He got baptized versus Detroit. But he can get better.
Yeah he got dunked repeatedly!
Some of the stress on that left side will be alleviated with Jenkins returning. Luckily our Bye is coming earlier this year. I think we knew Detroit was going to be good again this year. Rodgers n Co scored 16 pts against the Lions at Lambeau, that said a lot. They are a good team now and especially in the trenches. Suddenly Detroit has 3 Day 1 selections on their OL and that’s contributed to their Offensive rise. We need to get back to similarly strengthening our OL and that includes bringing an upgrade into the fold

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming David's season is basically over do you move Tom to LT after the bye? He is a notch better than Walker ATM and a decent LT going forward is a high priority.
Also next game start Rhyan instead of Newman? Barring injury a 2nd rd pick should get playing time by middle of season two.

Reaction score
Assuming David's season is basically over do you move Tom to LT after the bye? He is a notch better than Walker ATM and a decent LT going forward is a high priority.
Also next game start Rhyan instead of Newman? Barring injury a 2nd rd pick should get playing time by middle of season two.
yes

I know we all realize you want that OL gaining continuity and that takes playing together. However that shouldn’t stop us from protecting our QB with the best 5. At minimum I’d put My more experienced player on Jordan’s blindside this week. This isn’t taking a shot at Walker as he might gradually develop into a starter quality LT. We can‘t afford to experiment as opponents will do what we would all logically do and stress our left side with multiple pressures and multiple stunts.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the season to experiment if there is one. Nothing to lose as long as we can keep our QB in one piece.

Reaction score
This is the season to experiment if there is one. Nothing to lose as long as we can keep our QB in one piece.
So far, When given time Jordan plays pretty good Overall. I suppose that’s true for most QB’s. That left side is paramount to the point we should maybe keep an inline TE like Kraft or Deguara there and either can roll out for a quick dump pass underneath if he’s not covered up. If we plan on mixing more Run in we should put Sean Rhyan at Guard as his strength is zone run block.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are going to keep in another blocker; just put in another lineman. The TEs are not big enough and there is not enough time for them to go out for a pass. We are not fooling anybody with the TEs. It is just wishful thinking on LaFleur's part that he can have a TE who can block like a dam lineman.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a half dozen points made in the post to which you refer. Do you disagree with all of them? If not, which one(s)?
I've said it b4 and so didn't want to just say it again but...for one thing he is very good where he is so why mess with it. He could be there a long time. The left is not really that much more important than the right. There are great pass rushers on both sides. It used to be different. I like the stability he brings to the position and whereas Walker is not as good; he has not been bad at pass protect. He does not run block well but neither does anyone else on the line. I don't think they teach that in GB. Our main problem is the two guards and making weaker a position of strength is not going to help out.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting coming from MLF to the effect that he's basically going to let Bakh address the situation when he's ready. He's had one surgery this week and reportedly has another one to go. We'll see how it goes and how he feels after that.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting coming from MLF to the effect that he's basically going to let Bakh address the situation when he's ready. He's had one surgery this week and reportedly has another one to go. We'll see how it goes and how he feels after that.

Love Bahk, but as we have seen in the past with offensive linemen, at some point the body breaks down...Happened with Sitton, Lang, Bulaga, etc.

Anything GB gets out of him this season should be considered a bonus. Unfortunately, the end of the trail is near.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love Bahk, but as we have seen in the past with offensive linemen, at some point the body breaks down...Happened with Sitton, Lang, Bulaga, etc.

Anything GB gets out of him this season should be considered a bonus. Unfortunately, the end of the trail is near.
Hoping against hope that you're wrong, but all things considered the odds are that you're right.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Retiring

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean shtty situation for everyone involved...I will assume theres going to be some kind of miracle until there's not.

Either way as has been said before theres virtually no way he was going to be a part of the 2024 team. So while it sucks, I guess better to get started on finding the solution now. See if Walker can do it and either way add one high in the draft in 2024 to compete. Tom's best position could be at center

Members online

No members online now.