Bakhtiari to Jets?

Outsider99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakt will probably never play another snap. He had 5 surgeries on his knee I believe. I doubt any other team would even want him. He got his bag and Packers need to rebuild the O-line. Hopefully Jenkins will have a healthy season.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakt will probably never play another snap. He had 5 surgeries on his knee I believe. I doubt any other team would even want him. He got his bag and Packers need to rebuild the O-line. Hopefully Jenkins will have a healthy season.
They can start with Joe Alt next year. And if they have to trade up using the Jets' second round pick, do it. But get it done. They MUST replace Bakh and he's the perfect guy to do it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Bahk is yet another cautionary tale when it comes to guaranteed money and big contracts. NFL owners need to get smart and quit giving out guaranteed money. Pay them for what they do, not what they might be able to do.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There should be a few teams out there who would sign him at the lower cost and then deal with him week to week like us.
That ship has sailed. At this point the Packers may have no other choice but to cut him loose after 2023. No way do they or any other team fork out $21,593,480 for a one time Pro Bowl LT, that can't get healthy. Whether they trade him or cut him next year, it will be a dead cap hit of $19,065,514, no way around it. Keep him and no adjustment on his contract, his cap hit is $40,465,514.

Bye bye Bahk and Happy Birthday today.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a very slight possibility that he comes back after 4 or 5 weeks and plays the rest of the season. In that case, he would be tradeable. I can't help but wonder if Bak has done his rehab like Rashon Gary did his. I believe after the operation you can rehab just to get around in your future life or you can rehab very hard in order to do sports. I'll bet Gary was doing rehab all day long. Not just with trainers.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bahk is yet another cautionary tale when it comes to guaranteed money and big contracts. NFL owners need to get smart and quit giving out guaranteed money. Pay them for what they do, not what they might be able to do.
I can understand why we gave Bak the big coin when we did. At the time he didn't have an injury history and played at an elite level at a critical position on O. LTs like him don't grow on trees. It is just unfortunate as hell his knee is now a mess.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That ship has sailed. At this point the Packers may have no other choice but to cut him loose after 2023. No way do they or any other team fork out $21,593,480 for a one time Pro Bowl LT, that can't get healthy. Whether they trade him or cut him next year, it will be a dead cap hit of $19,065,514, no way around it. Keep him and no adjustment on his contract, his cap hit is $40,465,514.

Bye bye Bahk and Happy Birthday today.
19 is better than 40. But it is a killer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can understand why we gave Bak the big coin when we did. At the time he didn't have an injury history and played at an elite level at a critical position on O. LTs like him don't grow on trees. It is just unfortunate as hell his knee is now a mess.
I was against it at the time. They did it with quite a few games left in the season, then he gets hurt. Had they waited until the end of the season or not at all, we might not be in this position.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There is a very slight possibility that he comes back after 4 or 5 weeks and plays the rest of the season. In that case, he would be tradeable. I can't help but wonder if Bak has done his rehab like Rashon Gary did his. I believe after the operation you can rehab just to get around in your future life or you can rehab very hard in order to do sports. I'll bet Gary was doing rehab all day long. Not just with trainers.
Not from what I have read. Sounds like at least one "substantial" surgery and possibly more.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a winning post.
Some of the people blasting the Packers for extending his previous contract are ignorant blowhards who don't know the timeline of events regarding Bakhtiari. However, they don't let facts stand in the way of letting their keyboards run unchecked. Fools.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This is a winning post.
Some of the people blasting the Packers for extending his previous contract are ignorant blowhards who don't know the timeline of events regarding Bakhtiari. However, they don't let facts stand in the way of letting their keyboards run unchecked. Fools.
Yep .. the sequence of events on #69's myriad of injuries and recoveries and more injuries are things that make NFL front offices hit their knees sobbing like a grade schooler. It's almost like the Football Gods saw the ink was sufficiently dried on the extension and with one lightning bolt, brought down the wrath of the thing. As I recall, prior to this on-going knee issue, he had back problems which isn't unusual for a member of the "fat uglies" up front - particularly tackles. Thing for those squawking about his contract - yeah, I get it, but an All-Pro LT when your QB1 has a dominant right throwing arm, or protecting the blind side as the movie tells us, is like, buying an insurance policy on your franchise - in this case, an insurance policy that doesn't pay. If the front office had a functioning crystal ball (given the injuries AND the hi-jinx of our former QB1) , they probably wouldn't have pulled that trigger to be sure. He needs to heal up and get back to work and stay off social media.

As for Jenkins, he blew an ACL last season. A two-time Pro-Bowler, the Pack pulled the trigger on a 4-year $68 Million extension. While he didn't do so well during his attempt to play RT, there is little argument to be made on whether or not he elevates the play of that OL. I've jumped all over our C as being a sieve, but when you're looking at the two interior linemen next to him on either side - well, there's your explanation.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is a winning post.
Since I assume that I was one of the one of the "fools" that you were addressing with this ditty, I'll bite.

My biggest issue with the Bahk new contract back in 2020, wasn't questioning his talents, it was questioning the timing of the whole thing. I felt the Packers should wait until the season ended and then possibly negotiate a new deal. Also, I didn't use hindsight with my arguments. I felt that way before he was resigned, after he was resigned (before his injury) and still feel they jumped the gun.

I will put the timeline of my discussion below. My last thought, you may think I am an "ignorant blowhard" that doesn't "let facts stand in the way of letting their keyboard run unchecked", but almost 3 years later, who was right and who was wrong?

Timeline:

10/18/20: Bahk goes down in the 3rd Q. against TB w/chest injury.

- - - - - Bahk misses the next 3 games (Packers go 2-1)

11/14/20: Packers and Bahk enter into a new contract, with 8 games still remaining in the 2020 season.

12/31/20: Bahk blows his knee out in practice

My Posts:

Ive been wondering the same thing.... The offensive line is definitely not as good without Bakhtiari.... but I think right now a better defense would help a lot more than getting Him back in the lineup.
Yup and obviously the Packers don't need to make this decision immediately and can see how the season plays out. Prior to Bahks injury, I think most people would say "No question you have to resign him at all costs". After the last 3+ weeks, the Packers have some data to look at as to just how important he is to the team. This isn't to say he isn't, because he is, but the $20+ million/year he will probably get, could be more important to spend elsewhere.

Things potentially get very dicey on the O-Line next year if we have neither Linsely or Bakhtiari under contract. The only way I can fathom that happening is if the staff thinks they have an adequate center behind Linsely and either Yosh Nijman is ready to play or Jenkins/Turner can adequately play LT.
I think the recent injury to Bahk and having to play without him, might have been a blessing in disguise. Now granted, the Packers didn't fair so well in that Tampa Bay game when he went out in the 3rd Q, but I don't think they were fairing that well prior to him leaving either. The games since have been a mix bag of results as they have faced less challenging defenses (than the Bucs) and inserting different options along the OL.

If nothing else the Packers are getting a good idea of what life without Bahk might look like. You are correct, it would be tough to lose both Linsley and Bahk at the same time, but we are also talking about a combined $32M probably that the Packers could use to potentially fortify the OL as well as other positions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of re-signing Bakhtiari but it will be difficult to fit his contract under the cap. In addition him being injured last and this season should result in the Packers being hesitant to offer him a huge deal.
If the Packers do resign Bahk, its going to have to be under a contract that shoves a lot of money out into the future. They could do that with a number of players, but they also need to keep an eye on the following year (2022) when Davante and JA will both have expiring contracts. Obviously, they can exercise JA's 5th year, but that won't be cheap either.

The Packers re-signed Bakhtiari with seven games left before he was set to become a free agent. I would hardly classify that move as too early.
Actually, with 8 regular season games + playoffs still left to play on his old contract. ;)

We are going to have to disagree on this one. Again, this is just my philosophy on contracts. I would prefer to finish the current one before entering into the next one.

Have to wonder had that been the case with Bahk, what the new terms would be?

Would you have signed Jones to a new contract on 11/14?

Guaranteed contracts, especially for the amounts that are now being doled out on some of these contracts, are just one aspect of the NFL contract system that I do not like.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Guaranteed contracts, especially for the amounts that are now being doled out on some of these contracts, are just one aspect of the NFL contract system that I do not like.

Yeah, wish into one hand and poop into the other. Which one fills up first?

You had to do a lot of researching, and cuttin' 'n' pasting there buddy. It took me forever to delete all of that before responding to the last paragraph. I feel bad that I have to agree with what you're saying in that last paragraph - but the remainder of your reply was just ... ya know ... DEFENSIVE. :roflmao:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, wish into one hand and poop into the other. Which one fills up first?

You had to do a lot of researching, and cuttin' 'n' pasting there buddy. It took me forever to delete all of that before responding to the last paragraph. I feel bad that I have to agree with what you're saying in that last paragraph - but the remainder of your reply was just ... ya know ... DEFENSIVE. :roflmao:
I did have to do some cutting and pasting, since the thread was closed and I couldn't "quote" posts. The reason I went to those lengths, to shut-down the idea that I didn't understand the timeline or someone saying I was using hindsight.

If you think I was being defensive, you are correct. Read the post I replied to, I took great offense to it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bakhtiari to anyone for a 7th rounder if we can make that deal take it
Doubt another team would do that, unless Bahk would agree to a new contract.

Doesn't cost the Packers anymore to cut or trade him now or in 2024. So they might as well hang on to him, see what the prognosis is for his knee, as well as what he wants to do.

At the age of 32, it won't surprise me one bit if Bahk's career is over.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
It's possible that Bakhtiari has played his last game for the Packers and will have been paid $65.8M for 2021 through 2023. He has been in 13 games over the last three years - that's only a bit more than $5M for each game played. :) Just a little something to cheer everyone up.

I agree but it will take a GM/owner with the courage to trade away high profile players that will command high end contracts and be willing to see them succeed with other teams.

Members online

No members online now.