Bakhtiari to Jets?

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I’m reading way too much into it but LaFleur’s “I’ll leave it to Dave to talk about that” kinda to me seemed more or less like “he’s done (maybe with pro football in general, definitely in GB either way), but I’m gonna give him the chance to deliver that message on his terms”

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hoping against hope that you're wrong, but all things considered the odds are that you're right.

Yes, I'd love to be wrong about this.

The guy is a true warrior and will forever be a football hero in Green Bay.

I wish him and his nothing but the best in whatever comes next.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I heard on the radio on the way into work that Bakh is holding his press conference today. I don't remember a non quarterback randomly holding a press conference on his situation. A couple of people have said it, but it smells of a retirement announcement. Yes, he leaves millions on the table, but he's also made millions. At some point money gets thrown out of big decisions. He may also feel like he is just stealing from the Packers by not retiring. Might be a morality thing where he feels guilty not playing and knows it's over. Guess we find out today.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard on the radio on the way into work that Bakh is holding his press conference today. I don't remember a non quarterback randomly holding a press conference on his situation. A couple of people have said it, but it smells of a retirement announcement. Yes, he leaves millions on the table, but he's also made millions. At some point money gets thrown out of big decisions. He may also feel like he is just stealing from the Packers by not retiring. Might be a morality thing where he feels guilty not playing and knows it's over. Guess we find out today.

So if I understand it a retirement is truly not going to save the Packers much outside of gameday checks which someone said they found he is less than $30,000 a game...which I get is nothing to bypass because that is still over $250,000.

If Captain was here I'd assume he could break down financially what this means if anything different than say an in season cut of him right now...or what fiscal levers could be played with some for the team fiscally with retirement...someone I'm sure will do a write up at some point.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So if I understand it a retirement is truly not going to save the Packers much outside of gameday checks which someone said they found he is less than $30,000 a game...which I get is nothing to bypass because that is still over $250,000.
I could be wrong, but Bahk retiring will only save the Packers whatever is left of his per game roster bonus's (Max $500K) and anything he would have made (by playing) in 2024, which would be $21,593,481.

What I have always wondered about is if a team is able to recapture any of the signing bonus or guaranteed money, when a players contract is terminated early, by the player. I doubt it, but IMO, since retirement would mean he didn't fulfil his entire contract, 1/4 of that money should be in question.

If nothing else, just another cautionary tale when it comes to giving a player a 4 year deal with a $30,000,000 signing bonus & $61,500,000 guaranteed.

Krabs

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but Bahk retiring will only save the Packers whatever is left of his per game roster bonus's (Max $500K) and anything he would have made (by playing) in 2024, which would be $21,593,481.

What I have always wondered about is if a team is able to recapture any of the signing bonus or guaranteed money, when a players contract is terminated early, by the player. I doubt it, but IMO, since retirement would mean he didn't fulfil his entire contract, 1/4 of that money should be in question.

If nothing else, just another cautionary tale when it comes to giving a player a 4 year deal with a $30,000,000 signing bonus & $61,500,000 guaranteed.
This is what I found from a few place. If the Packers release or trade Bakhtiari next offseason, they would save $21.5 million in cap space by wiping out his nonguaranteed base salary ($20.2 million) and bonuses ($1.3 million) for 2024. The Packers would take another big hit against the cap with $19.065 million in dead money. Still a savings though. I couldn't find too much about this season, so I'm assuming you're right. Not much savings there this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is what I found from a few place. If the Packers release or trade Bakhtiari next offseason, they would save $21.5 million in cap space by wiping out his nonguaranteed base salary ($20.2 million) and bonuses ($1.3 million) for 2024. The Packers would take another big hit against the cap with $19.065 million in dead money. Still a savings though. I couldn't find too much about this season, so I'm assuming you're right. Not much savings there this season.
His Roster bonus for 2023 is a bit confusing. Originally, it was scheduled to be $9.5M (due 3/17/2023) but appears to have been converted (in part or in whole) to a signing bonus, which would allow the Packers to spread it out over the remainder of his deal. Possibly only $323,521 of that was set aside for game bonuses.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see them doing it, but a retired player "technically" could still be contractually cut post-June 1st IF they wanted to spread the damage into 2025 and not all of the swallow occur in 2024.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't see them doing it, but a retired player "technically" could still be contractually cut post-June 1st IF they wanted to spread the damage into 2025 and not all of the swallow occur in 2024.
I'm not so sure about that, since his contract only runs through the 2024 season, they might have to take the full dead cap hit in 2024. Here is what Spotrac.com says for a post 6/1 cut or trade:

POST-6/1 RELEASE

2024 Dead Cap: $19,065,514
2025 Dead Cap: $0
2024 Cap Savings: $21,400,000

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that, since his contract only runs through the 2024 season, they might have to take the full dead cap hit in 2024. Here is what Spotrac.com says for a post 6/1 cut or trade:

POST-6/1 RELEASE

2024 Dead Cap: $19,065,514
2025 Dead Cap: $0
2024 Cap Savings: $21,400,000

Yup, just realized it - zero post June option due to 2024 being his last year.

Now they could add void years in a restructure if Ball and Gute saw it worth pushing but I don't think that happens...not only are we working through growing pains, but we are also working through the fiscal pain of swallowing all the debt we've pushed.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I have always wondered about is if a team is able to recapture any of the signing bonus or guaranteed money, when a players contract is terminated early, by the player.

My understanding is you cannot claw back money if a player has to medically retire. Pretty sure Bhak can point to his imploded knee as his being medically necessary.

This is different if a player just doesn't want to play anymore.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My understanding is you cannot claw back money if a player has to medically retire. Pretty sure Bhak can point to his imploded knee as his being medically necessary.

This is different if a player just doesn't want to play anymore.

Correct I have never heard of, yet at least, of any player having a clause of early retirement rescinding money if for medical reasons.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, $21,593,48. Which represents his 2024 roster bonus and salary.

However, given his status, nobody is going to pay him that, not even the Green Bay Packers.

He wasnt gonna get that from the Packers either way considering his 40 M cap number for 2024 and the nearly 20 M in cap savings to be had

Really is a shame that he couldn't provide Love one spot on the OL he doesnt have to worry about the rush coming from

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes...in some cases they are. However outside of the most extreme cases. The guy goes to prison or something no Nfl team outside of the Detroit Lions would operate that way.

They tried to do that to both Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson. Probably the two best players in their franchise history. Barry just reconciled with the team within the last few years. And Calvin Johnson still wants absolutely nothing to do with the Lions

Especially in a case where injury is the cause of retirement that would be a horrible look for the Packers. Would probably lead to Bakh feeling like Johnson as well as other players on the team looking at it like...oh damn we put our health on the line and thats how theyre gonna do us if we get injured and can no longer play

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Especially in a case where injury is the cause of retirement that would be a horrible look for the Packers. Would probably lead to Bakh feeling like Johnson as well as other players on the team looking at it like...oh damn we put our health on the line and thats how theyre gonna do us if we get injured and can no longer play
Yeah and I don't know if I would care either way.

Would I side with the Billion dollar company or the guy that was guaranteed $61M and made much more than that, while barely playing under the contract?

I understand "taking care of your own", but one of the talking points of these guaranteed contracts was "what if a player gets injured and his career ends suddenly?" Sort of a built in insurance policy. Fine, but what if the Player barely plays under that new contract? I know, the team didn't have to offer him the deal. I would much rather see the NFL "guarantee" players income against injury, by each team paying a second party an insurance premium on every player. A player gets injured, the team can part ways and the players gets his insurance pay.

No doubt Bahk's career may be over, but if it is, he will walk away from the NFL at the age of 32 a very rich man, with the ability to do just about anything.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He wasnt gonna get that from the Packers either way considering his 40 M cap number for 2024 and the nearly 20 M in cap savings to be had

Really is a shame that he couldn't provide Love one spot on the OL he doesnt have to worry about the rush coming from
I think the Packers might have considered keeping Bahk around, under a restructured deal, had he been able to play and play at a high level. That window has all but closed and yeah, he's done in GB, very little doubt in my mind on that.

Only way I see Bahk sticking around is saying to the team "look, I have no clue how I will be after all these surgeries, but here is what I am willing to do. You guys gave me a ton of money, which I didn't earn, redo my contract to a 4 year deal at vet minimum, no guarantees. I'll give you as much as my health will allow me to."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Except play driveway basketball with his kids. Bounce his grandchildren on his knees. Quality of life stuff.
Exactly

I would add "chug beers non-stop" to his future.

Yeah, it sucks that Bahk's knee may end his career, a few years earlier than he would have liked to retire. However, he has the rest of his life ahead of him and a bank account that will allow him to live just about any lifestyle that he wants. No doubt that he will probably have some long term issues with his body, due to the pounding it took playing football, but I know truck drivers, bus drivers, builders, etc. that have issues as well.

Side Note: I would love to see the yearly medical bills that NFL teams fork out. I assume that every outside surgery, consultation, etc. that a player under contract has, the team pick up the bill.

Krabs

Reaction score
I did not see a press conference yesterday as the local radio station reported. Maybe I had the day wrong, but I know they said Bakh was going to hold one.

Anyone else hear anything?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I did not see a press conference yesterday as the local radio station reported. Maybe I had the day wrong, but I know they said Bakh was going to hold one.

Anyone else hear anything?
He was probably chugging beer at the Brewer game?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming David's season is basically over do you move Tom to LT after the bye? He is a notch better than Walker ATM and a decent LT going forward is a high priority.
Also next game start Rhyan instead of Newman? Barring injury a 2nd rd pick should get playing time by middle of season two.
Could we then move Walker to RT?

Members online

No members online now.