A Jordan Love Contract

Reaction score
I think Goff’s resume warrants a top level contract, considering how difficult or in the Bears case…how impossible it is, to find a franchise quarterback.
Hey @Calebs Revenge hope your Sunday is restful.
This would apply to Love also. What’s the alternative? Jordan walks and starts over while he goes and gets basically the same deal in Minnesota? Thats a nightmare
With Caleb we are in a much better cap situation for 4 years maybe 5 or 6.
We’re already into 2024.
The clock is already ticking and he’s got 3 more years and gets paid or is sent packing. GB essentially shortened the 4 year difference to 3 by extending Love and not restructuring. 1 year likely gets lost in a learning curve for Caleb. It’s really 2 seasons of financial benefit between Love and Williams, not 6 years
.if Love regresses like Kap, or Carson Wentz or RG III, Daniel Jones or any other of a dozen guys who looked amazing for a bit but then fizzled out.
You could really say that about any QB that gets paid. You can extend that concern past QB also. DL and WR are getting paid huge money also.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Martin slam dunked McMahon because Ditka ran up the score on a Bart Star coached team in 1980 to the tune of 61-7. When Gregg took over as the Packers coach in 1975, it was pay back time. Martin wasn't the only guy to go extracurricular. If Ditka isn't a complete jerk I doubt Forrest Gregg would've called out the dogs.

Hello, Benjamin Button! Nice to meet you. So to clarify, Gregg was hired in 1975, then Starr replaced him sometime later, then was embarrassed 61-7 in 1980, then Gregg time traveled to 1986, poked his head out of a wormhole, and told Martin to perform a dirty hit?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, fair. But I do find the Packer fans' sentiment of Love to be strange. Love finished out the season with 18 TD 1 INT, and he's worth a billion dollars. Goff did the exact same thing in 2022, then follows it up with a deep playoff run in 2023, and yet he's overpaid and mid talent. Love was the reason that the Packers' season ended, and the Lions gave up 24-7 for every reason except Goff. Hmm.
Not even a quarter of a billion actually. :D Now you are talking like caleb. I guess the difference is we know you are exaggerating for humor's sake.

Evaluations of Goff go back over his entire career. He was supposed to be that guy from day one. It not unreasonable to wonder why it took him so long to hit his stride? Why couldn't he do it with the Rams? After all they won it all not long after he left. Is his recent success the result of his abilities or the result of the team and coaching staff around him?

Jordan Loves slow start could reasonably be attributed to simple growing pains once he got the starting gig. He struggled at first but once he figured it out he took off.

The question becomes will one or both or neither continue their success. I realize that Love could flame out but I'm confident that he will continue to improve. I'm not sure Goff will get any better but he might. Thats not saying at all that what he is right now isn't good enough. Personally I think he found the right match.

Reaction score
Oh I think The Lions did good with Goff. That contract gets B+ for me.

I think other teams’ fans are in denial about Love. I get it though, Packer fans are the first to witness and experience greatness and its natural. Then the other fans kinda get the information late and in snippets. So it takes those concentric circles a little longer to witness him.

I know what I saw. Those lockerroom celebration were largely because of Jordan. Something special there past just Wins. There’s a strong bond between these players and coaches and that energy carried them some. Something I haven’t witnessed in a long time. These guys were genuinely having fun. Magical like and we’ve all been around long enough to witness magical moments in life. Really “Pants on the Ground” type stuff. Good athletes having fun and carrying that energy forward.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martin slam dunked McMahon because Ditka ran up the score on a Bart Star coached team in 1980 to the tune of 61-7. When Gregg took over as the Packers coach in 1975, it was pay back time. Martin wasn't the only guy to go extracurricular. If Ditka isn't a complete jerk I doubt Forrest Gregg would've called out the dogs.
No excuse for what Martin did.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don’t care if he ran it up 161-7. Woody Hayes and OSU were beating a team by 50 or something. They scored a touchdown and they still went for the two point conversion. He was asked why he went for two and he replied “because they wouldn’t let me go for three”.
Just bc he’s run up the score…..unless Jim was unkind to a female family member there’s no excuse.
He robbed us of a potential dynasty. Past is the past, but have some class and disavow this cowards heinous crime.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey @Calebs Revenge hope your Sunday is restful.
This would apply to Love also. What’s the alternative? Jordan walks and starts over while he goes and gets basically the same deal in Minnesota? Thats a nightmare

We’re already into 2024.
The clock is already ticking and he’s got 3 more years and gets paid or is sent packing. GB essentially shortened the 4 year difference to 3 by extending Love and not restructuring. 1 year likely gets lost in a learning curve for Caleb. It’s really 2 seasons of financial benefit between Love and Williams, not 6 years

You could really say that about any QB that gets paid. You can extend that concern past QB also. DL and WR are getting paid huge money also.
That’s why everyone tries to win during the rookie window.
I believe Love was under contract this upcoming season and then FA right?
I just don’t like his position….Im not gonna practice or else…..
I’d have told his agent if we want to do this the hard way we have you for 3 more years if you’re not interested in retirement.
I’ll see you at practice. Gotta draw a line and not cave. I’m not saying don’t extend but that’s a lot of money for an unproven guy.
I know everyone is going to hoot and holler that “wow what a year he had….he’s special”(but all of you have completely forgotten what it like to not have a “special QB).
He’s only started one year, that’s not enough for almost a quarter billion dollars guaranteed in my opinion and certainly not to be given bc of a threat to not show up.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont like the not practicing either but Jordan Love is going to have MVP canidate type season

Reaction score
The common sense view is that Love initially struggled, then "figured out the NFL". But the '23 team wasn't much different from the '22 team. Dead in the water by midseason, then went on a streak to finish it out. Had Rodgers beaten the Lions, his team finishes 9-8 and gets bounced by the 49ers. Same as the '23 team.

There are midgame adjustments and there are midseason adjustments. The Packers excel at the latter. Whether under McCarthy or Lafleur, the Packers either go 13-3 or else they have a midseason slump and squeak out a wildcard.

The difference now is that there's tape on Love. Vince Young and Sam Bradford were either ROY or OROY, and they turned out to be trash. Or Love might struggle, but then adjust to the adjustments that defenses throw at him. Or he might be Mahomes and basically never struggle.

What makes the 49ers elite is that Purdy should've been in that middle path that struggles in year 2. The Steelers were talking trash before week 1, saying they knew his tendencies and would feast on him. They lost by double digits, as did everyone else.

My suspicion is that Love will be like Stafford. Carrying a team on his back. Occasionally making the playoffs but having nobody around him. I think Love can win with an elite team around him. The Packers seem to keep striking gold at the most important position, but that by itself puts you in the wildcard zone.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The common sense view is that Love initially struggled, then "figured out the NFL". But the '23 team wasn't much different from the '22 team. Dead in the water by midseason, then went on a streak to finish it out. Had Rodgers beaten the Lions, his team finishes 9-8 and gets bounced by the 49ers. Same as the '23 team.

There are midgame adjustments and there are midseason adjustments. The Packers excel at the latter. Whether under McCarthy or Lafleur, the Packers either go 13-3 or else they have a midseason slump and squeak out a wildcard.

The difference now is that there's tape on Love. Vince Young and Sam Bradford were either ROY or OROY, and they turned out to be trash. Or Love might struggle, but then adjust to the adjustments that defenses throw at him. Or he might be Mahomes and basically never struggle.

What makes the 49ers elite is that Purdy should've been in that middle path that struggles in year 2. The Steelers were talking trash before week 1, saying they knew his tendencies and would feast on him. They lost by double digits, as did everyone else.

My suspicion is that Love will be like Stafford. Carrying a team on his back. Occasionally making the playoffs but having nobody around him. I think Love can win with an elite team around him. The Packers seem to keep striking gold at the most important position, but that by itself puts you in the wildcard zone.
One of my biggest “what if” as a Bears fan is whether we should have kept Kyle Orton and had seen what we could do. I wonder if a few more years of growth with that defense could have led to something special. Maybe in the next go-around.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh man, what gave it away? My name or my avatar? I was trying so hard to hide it.

True, fair. But I do find the Packer fans' sentiment of Love to be strange. Love finished out the season with 18 TD 1 INT, and he's worth a billion dollars. Goff did the exact same thing in 2022, then follows it up with a deep playoff run in 2023, and yet he's overpaid and mid talent. Love was the reason that the Packers' season ended, and the Lions gave up 24-7 for every reason except Goff. Hmm.
I for one don’t think for a second Goff is overpaid. Is he as young or perhaps seem to have the same exact ceiling height arguably no, but that roster is built very well and Goff has a lot of success in his career and is still not old by any means.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one don’t think for a second Goff is overpaid. Is he as young or perhaps seem to have the same exact ceiling height arguably no, but that roster is built very well and Goff has a lot of success in his career and is still not old by any means.
I’ll say that the first half was a thing of beauty to watch. Y’all destroyed S.F. In every aspect for 2 quarters. Too bad y’all couldn’t finish them off but that first half was pure domination. Only fault was 1 FG instead of a tuddy.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody is making such a big deal out of this. Most headlines read Jordan Love is highest paid NFL player ever and its very misleading. They are looking strictly at the average yearly value and he shares that number with 2 others. On top of that anyone with a brain knows this is the least important way to evaluate a contract. Other ways that are more important a total value, fully guaranteed and total guaranteed as well as cap hit.

In total value Love is at #10 at 220 million.
Fully guaranteed he is at #9 at about 101 million
total guaranteed he is also at #9 at about 160 million
and perhaps most importantly on cap hit he is #49

Overall this is not as bad as a lot of people are trying to make it out to be and by the time he is due for his next contract this one will look like a bargain.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello, Benjamin Button! Nice to meet you. So to clarify, Gregg was hired in 1975, then Starr replaced him sometime later, then was embarrassed 61-7 in 1980, then Gregg time traveled to 1986, poked his head out of a wormhole, and told Martin to perform a dirty hit?
Starr was the coach of the Packers in 1980 when Ditka ran the score up to 61-7. Forrest Gregg was hired to replace Starr in 1985. I got that date mixed up by a decade. The dirty shenanigans all happened under Gregg's tenure while Ditka was still coach of the Bears. At least on paper he was the Bear's coach. The Packers didn't retaliate until Gregg took over. Starr didn't retaliate. It's nearly impossible to think Martin's slam dunk and a lot of other extracurricular hits would've happened without Gregg's blessing. He was basically letting Ditka know that his running up the score wasn't going unpunished.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don’t care if he ran it up 161-7. Woody Hayes and OSU were beating a team by 50 or something. They scored a touchdown and they still went for the two point conversion. He was asked why he went for two and he replied “because they wouldn’t let me go for three”.
Just bc he’s run up the score…..unless Jim was unkind to a female family member there’s no excuse.
He robbed us of a potential dynasty. Past is the past, but have some class and disavow this cowards heinous crime.
There are repercussions for running up the score and embarrassing a class act like Bart Starr. If Ditka isn't a jerk none of the later cheap shots would've happened. Maybe Gregg didn't like Ditka from their playing days but you are correct that those shots probably kept the Bears from winning again in 1986. Very likely Gregg knew that and relished it.

Reaction score
If you don't like someone running up the score, then stop them. If you can't stop them, then you suck. This is the NFL, there's no mercy rule. If the score gets to 61-7, that's literally just a measure of how much you suck.

Some Packer fans disavow dirty and illegal cheap shots, but that number is not high enough. 100% is the number that is required. It's not even cheating to win, like what the Patriots were accused of on a regular basis. Cheating to win is at least understandable. Taking cheap shots because you can't stop them between the whistles is the most pathetic thing that can possibly be done. What's next, going full Nancy Kerrigan on the guy if you can't get a cheap shot in during a game?

Whatever, not my forum. If advocation of borderline felony assault is what y'all have going on here, I guess I need to read the rules more closely. I skimmed them and assumed common sense applied.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are repercussions for running up the score and embarrassing a class act like Bart Starr. If Ditka isn't a jerk none of the later cheap shots would've happened. Maybe Gregg didn't like Ditka from their playing days but you are correct that those shots probably kept the Bears from winning again in 1986. Very likely Gregg knew that and relished it.
By your logic, when Rodgers in Soldier yells “I still fn own you” that was with all due respect?
Luckily, we didn’t have to pile drive Aaron Rodgers into the ground and wreck his throwing shoulder in 2011 for him to choke away five NFC Championship Games. We had our opportunity stolen, y’all just waste opportunities.
Glad Love has mastered the game ending cross body/field interception to end the season. Looking forward to seeing it again….and again….and again….and again.

Reaction score
I believe Love was under contract this upcoming season and then FA right?
I just don’t like his position….Im not gonna practice or else…..
He was advised not to practice so he wouldn’t injure just hours before he inked a mega millions win. Nothing more. If he was angry as you are implying.. why was he walking around the practice field and all up in the team facility??
I’d have told his agent if we want to do this the hard way we have you for 3 more years if you’re not interested in retirement.
Thats why you’re not an agent or a GM You’d be the only NFL agent without a client. You’d be the only GM without a team
I’m not saying don’t extend but that’s a lot of money for an unproven guy.
Are you insinuating our staff hasn’t watched Love for the last 7 years? We used a Day1 of course we’ve been watching him.
I know everyone is going to hoot and holler that “wow what a year he had….he’s special”(but all of you have completely forgotten what it like to not have a “special QB).
I haven’t I lived through the entire 70’s and 80’s. We were so bad that our highlights include a Kicker on Cocaine scoring the miraculous deflection. Literally!
He’s only started one year, that’s not enough for almost a quarter billion dollars guaranteed in my opinion
He doesn’t get $250,000,000 guaranteed. You keep saying that to embellish the truth, but his guaranteed is all over the internet so quit exaggerating.
certainly not to be given bc of a threat to not show up.
Nobody made threats to nobody.
I thought everyone was being a very respectful. After also initially jumping to conclusions like you.
I’m convinced that this was simply a wise decision not to pull a Rodgers Achilles until that ink dried.

Jordan Loves these guys we are his family now, he didn’t make threats.

Last edited:
Reaction score
By your logic, when Rodgers in Soldier yells “I still fn own you” that was with all due respect?
Luckily, we didn’t have to pile drive Aaron Rodgers into the ground and wreck his throwing shoulder in 2011 for him to choke away five NFC Championship Games. We had our opportunity stolen, y’all just waste opportunities.
Glad Love has mastered the game ending cross body/field interception to end the season. Looking forward to seeing it again….and again….and again….and again.

What Rodgers did was both disrespectful and true. Two things can be correct at the same time. The Packers do indeed own da Bears. At least when my Lions sucked, they put up a fight against the Packers. Even when we went two decades without winning in GB, the Lions were still doing better against GB than da Bears were. Not sure how it's even possible.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll say that the first half was a thing of beauty to watch. Y’all destroyed S.F. In every aspect for 2 quarters. Too bad y’all couldn’t finish them off but that first half was pure domination. Only fault was 1 FG instead of a tuddy.
I think you quoted the wrong post….i was discussing Goff not the niners or the packers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forest Gregg was a great player, but a clown of a coach. Nothing that the Bears or Ditka did warranted a cheap shot by Martin. It's not even a discussion.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My suspicion is that Love will be like Stafford. Carrying a team on his back. Occasionally making the playoffs but having nobody around him.
Make sure to check back here so we can run this quote past you again, and again, and again.

The problem with your prediction is that Love has a much better team surrounding him than Stafford. Therefore Stafford and Megatron had to do all of the work. The Packers have a solid group of receivers and TEs with a good OL to boot. Barring injury, this team will continue to be a mainstay in the playoffs.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
If you don't like someone running up the score, then stop them. If you can't stop them, then you suck. This is the NFL, there's no mercy rule. If the score gets to 61-7, that's literally just a measure of how much you suck.

Some Packer fans disavow dirty and illegal cheap shots, but that number is not high enough. 100% is the number that is required. It's not even cheating to win, like what the Patriots were accused of on a regular basis. Cheating to win is at least understandable. Taking cheap shots because you can't stop them between the whistles is the most pathetic thing that can possibly be done. What's next, going full Nancy Kerrigan on the guy if you can't get a cheap shot in during a game?

Whatever, not my forum. If advocation of borderline felony assault is what y'all have going on here, I guess I need to read the rules more closely. I skimmed them and assumed common sense applied.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Seems Suh also stepped on TJ Lang's nuts also...

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there are many Packer fans, players or coaches who hold it against Love for not practicing. He was at camp. He was on the sidelines. He participated in every aspect of TC except a few days of practice without pads. I think the deal was 85-90% done and it was just details left to work out. It might have been as much a ploy to speed things up as it was not to not get hurt but I do believe it was his agent's idea and not Love's. Yes, it would have been nice for the distraction to have been taken care of but if JL ends up failing it won't be because he missed 3 days of practice in sweats.

Which brings me to my second point. Why do most non Packer fans seem to expect Love to fail? With most players, if they have a great year, CJ Stroud for one example, everyone is so excited to watch him get better and its look out for Stroud and the Texans. With Love its he had half a great season watch him flame out. Is it that much jealousy and hatred towards the Packers. Does half a season really matter that much.

Maybe its because I am a Packer fan that I notice it more than with players from other teams. To be fair its mainly from fans. Most of the media seems to have high expectations for Love as well. Although I have noticed a change in that since the signing as well. Before they talked about the last half of the season as if it was a big deal and how it looks like the Packers may have caught lightning in a bottle for a third time. Since the signing there has been a lot more of it was only half a season so was it really smart to give him that much money.

Oh well, as you are all probably thinking, I have put way too much effort into this situation that is beyond my control already. Time to sit back and enjoy the show whatever happens.