A Jordan Love Contract

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. Verdict does nothing, but the revenue stream from the Sunday ticket going away, reduced or whatever does impact the cap. Plus I imagine that cash strapped teams might not want to spend much more over the floor to recover money.

Granted, this is all worse case scenarios for the NFL. Thing could just as likely be thrown out or the fine greatly reduced. But hey, all the people attached to this can look forward to their settlement check of $1.09 while the lawyers take home the other 12B. Class actions lawsuits are for lawyers to get rich not compensate anyone really wronged by anything.
In my last post I had originally written that the only people who benefit from a class action lawsuit are the lawyers. I deleted it because I didn't want to offend any lawyers who might be present. I'm happy to see you didn't take the cowards way out.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The teams will be just as willing to spend, though they might be less willing to offer guarantees if they end up cash-poor.

There is even a small chance the revenue could increase. If the contract is voided, there could be a fresh round of negotiations or bids. Unlikely, but possible.
That point about cash-on-hand is important and one I didn't consider. Whether it counts against the cap or not, cash is cash and has to be paid at some point, to a player or as a fine. If a team, especially a small-market team, finds itself with negative cash flow, they may not be able to offer large guarantees, which are all the thing in these deals.

I still think it would be rare. Winning is everything and my guess is that the owners and/or BODs would be willing to go cash poor for a few years to keep a prized player. (Just look at the Bucks for a bad example.....). And it's all a matter of degree. Does a player walk because he is offered $100 mil guaranteed versus $80 mil from his current team?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my last post I had originally written that the only people who benefit from a class action lawsuit are the lawyers. I deleted it because I didn't want to offend any lawyers who might be present. I'm happy to see you didn't take the cowards way out.
Your consideration is commendable sschind! I'm not a lawyer but doubt I would be offended if I found a profession that allowed me to make that kind of money. But yeah, these lawsuits end up being Full Employment Acts for lawyers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your consideration is commendable sschind! I'm not a lawyer but doubt I would be offended if I found a profession that allowed me to make that kind of money. But yeah, these lawsuits end up being Full Employment Acts for lawyers.
I heard something the other day that made me laugh out loud. I was working and the subject of high retail prices came up. One customer jokingly said "with these prices how do you sleep at night" My boss replied "on a mattress stuffed with your money"

Edit: if you are into reading and want to read a couple of books sort of related to this (big cases for lawyers) read The Appeal and The King of Torts by John Grisham.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard something the other day that made me laugh out loud. I was working and the subject of high retail prices came up. One customer jokingly said "with these prices how do you sleep at night" My boss replied "on a mattress stuffed with your money"

Edit: if you are into reading and want to read a couple of books sort of related to this (big cases for lawyers) read The Appeal and The King of Torts by John Grisham.
Thanks sschind. I'm a Grisham fan but haven't read these books yet. I'll add em to my list!

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That point about cash-on-hand is important and one I didn't consider. Whether it counts against the cap or not, cash is cash and has to be paid at some point, to a player or as a fine. If a team, especially a small-market team, finds itself with negative cash flow, they may not be able to offer large guarantees, which are all the thing in these deals.

Typically, the issue is needing to escrow guarantees that are not immediately paid.
Does a player walk because he is offered $100 mil guaranteed versus $80 mil from his current team?

100% they would and twice on Sunday. A 20%/20m raise? Money in hand now? Just the lost money from investments on the at 20m would astronomical. They would be foolish not to take that money.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typically, the issue is needing to escrow guarantees that are not immediately paid.

100% they would and twice on Sunday. A 20%/20m raise? Money in hand now? Just the lost money from investments on the at 20m would astronomical. They would be foolish not to take that money.
Good point on escrow. They could also do that by getting a bank to guarantee a bond, but it's not necessarily an immediate cash outlay.

And yeah, you're right of course - anyone would walk for another $20 mil. Poor example. Then again, when a team is cap rich and they want a guy, they'll overpay. Certainly the Packers overpaid for McKinney. Doesn't make it a bad move. It was a good move considering the situation at S and they paid what it took to get him. But the Giants didn't match, maybe due to their own cap constraints.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly the Packers overpaid for McKinney. Doesn't make it a bad move. It was a good move considering the situation at S and they paid what it took to get him. But the Giants didn't match, maybe due to their own cap constraints.
Watched Netflix Receivers over the weekend... after watching Savage get roasted (again) against San Fran Gute did a GREAT job of improving the DB room, imho.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watched Netflix Receivers over the weekend... after watching Savage get roasted (again) against San Fran Gute did a GREAT job of improving the DB room, imho.
Yeah the safety position has been almost completely remade through FA (McKinney) and the draft (Bullard). It looks like Stokes is finally healthy again, and I think JA has finally matured. Hopefully Valentine's solid rookie play continues. I'm expecting more coverage sacks this year, and more INTs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the safety position has been almost completely remade through FA (McKinney) and the draft (Bullard). It looks like Stokes is finally healthy again, and I think JA has finally matured. Hopefully Valentine's solid rookie play continues. I'm expecting more coverage sacks this year, and more INTs.

Anthony Johnson Jr, Evan Williams and Kitan Oladapo as well.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anthony Johnson Jr, Evan Williams and Kitan Oladapo as well.
The word from reporters who attended the OTAs is that Williams is playing like a man on a mission; a "chip on the shoulder" kind of guy. I remember a few years back when we had a young quarterback who wanted to show the world he'd been drafted way too late.

Turned out rather well for us.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But at the of the day, it all comes down to the two parties agreeing on a package that both feel is fair. And for whatever reason or reasons, that hasn't happened yet.
I really, really hate turning out to be wrong about something, so whenever I start to think maybe I was, I like to come right out and say it. And I think there's a pretty good chance today that I was wrong about this.

I think there's a strong chance that this deal is already done.

Thursday, Love was at an event, and there was a small gaggle of reporters clustered around him afterward - along with 2 or 3 team officials "shepherding" Love. One of the staff firmly told the reporters straight out at the start, "do NOT ask any questions about the contract. If anyone asks about the contract, this is over, and there won't be any further questions."

So the second reporter to ask a question (WISN's Stephanie Sutton)) chirped up, "Jordan, is there anything you can share with us about your contract extension?" Of course.

Love rolled his eyes, grinned, and started shaking his head, and one of the staff chaperones said "Nope, sorry sorry sorry... nope... nope..." Questions were over, and Jordan and the team staff started walking away.

But at that moment, one of the Packer PR guys said in a cheerful voice, "news to come." Love nodded, grinned a big, sly grin, and repeated "news to come". And walked away with a big smile.

Love did not look in the least bit like a man who's under any stress at all, or who has a worry in the world. His demeanor, facial expressions, and body language were completely opposite the way he's reacted every other time he was asked about the contract over the last few months. Instead of tensing up, biting his lower lip, frowning, and looking at the floor, he's not only totally relaxed, but evidently quite happy and very pleased with the secret he can't tell.

I think it's done, and will be announced shortly before camp opens - maybe at the shareholders' meeting. I mean, he almost specifically came right out and said there is news - some new development. And the only news I can think of that relates to his contract situation, and would make him grin like that is that he just became a very wealthy young man.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really, really hate turning out to be wrong about something, so whenever I start to think maybe I was, I like to come right out and say it. And I think there's a pretty good chance today that I was wrong about this.

I think there's a strong chance that this deal is already done.

Thursday, Love was at an event, and there was a small gaggle of reporters clustered around him afterward - along with 2 or 3 team officials "shepherding" Love. One of the staff firmly told the reporters straight out at the start, "do NOT ask any questions about the contract. If anyone asks about the contract, this is over, and there won't be any further questions."

So the second reporter to ask a question (WISN's Stephanie Sutton)) chirped up, "Jordan, is there anything you can share with us about your contract extension?" Of course.

Love rolled his eyes, grinned, and started shaking his head, and one of the staff chaperones said "Nope, sorry sorry sorry... nope... nope..." Questions were over, and Jordan and the team staff started walking away.

But at that moment, one of the Packer PR guys said in a cheerful voice, "news to come." Love nodded, grinned a big, sly grin, and repeated "news to come". And walked away with a big smile.

Love did not look in the least bit like a man who's under any stress at all, or who has a worry in the world. His demeanor, facial expressions, and body language were completely opposite the way he's reacted every other time he was asked about the contract over the last few months. Instead of tensing up, biting his lower lip, frowning, and looking at the floor, he's not only totally relaxed, but evidently quite happy and very pleased with the secret he can't tell.

I think it's done, and will be announced shortly before camp opens - maybe at the shareholders' meeting. I mean, he almost specifically came right out and said there is news - some new development. And the only news I can think of that relates to his contract situation, and would make him grin like that is that he just became a very wealthy young man.

I think reporters like that should be banned from further events and I wish more press conferences and even more informal events would be run like this. Tell them up front no questions about ??? And if they ask, boom, its over.

It wouldn't hurt to throw in an "are you hard of hearing Stephanie? Sorry everybody, some people can't follow the rules so we are done here. You can thank Stephanie later."

In case its not clear I don't have much respect for reporters. Most are fine but too many are just obnoxious jerks. I was about 7 or 8 when I had my first experience with negative reporting and I have not gotten over it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think reporters like that should be banned from further events and I wish more press conferences and even more informal events would be run like this. Tell them up front no questions about ??? And if they ask, boom, its over.

It wouldn't hurt to throw in an "are you hard of hearing Stephanie? Sorry everybody, some people can't follow the rules so we are done here. You can thank Stephanie later."

In case its not clear I don't have much respect for reporters. Most are fine but too many are just obnoxious jerks. I was about 7 or 8 when I had my first experience with negative reporting and I have not gotten over it.
Interesting comments by you and 13.

13 - I appreciate your honesty, but I hardly took your initial comment to mean a deal with Love was gonna be a drag. Even so, thanks, and the story you shared is interesting and optimistic. These deals take so long and are so complex - once the big things are decided, it still takes weeks for the lawyers to earn their money and finish it. Until then - mum is the word.

sschind - yeah reporters in general are obnoxious and frequently stupid, or certainly come across that way. Their bosses are watching, and they won't stay on the beat long if they don't ask the obvious questions.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder if GB needs to do an extension for Clark before Love's deal gets inked? If yes, may be around 3yr/$100mil extension (+/- some to deal with his $13mil '25 void money) thru '27?

Burrow has top deal so Love's would be (imho) 5 yr, $300mil. Cap #'s would be expected to be roughly: $25mil - '24, $37mil-'25, $52mil, $56mil, $60mil, & $70mil.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder if GB needs to do an extension for Clark before Love's deal gets inked? If yes, may be around 3yr/$100mil extension (+/- some to deal with his $13mil '25 void money) thru '27?

Burrow has top deal so Love's would be (imho) 5 yr, $300mil. Cap #'s would be expected to be roughly: $25mil - '24, $37mil-'25, $52mil, $56mil, $60mil, & $70mil.
PK, do you think Love's offer will top Borrows? That is the trend. Out of all these recent mega deals, only Hurts and Burrows have actually gotten to a SB.

Then again, Lawrence got a massive deal for three years of mediocrity. I guess that's the disconnect in pro sports, where pay and performance don't seem correlated. I have a hunch though that your numbers are correct.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sschind - yeah reporters in general are obnoxious and frequently stupid, or certainly come across that way. Their bosses are watching, and they won't stay on the beat long if they don't ask the obvious questions.
Thats true but I still don't care for the profession.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PK, do you think Love's offer will top Borrows? That is the trend. Out of all these recent mega deals, only Hurts and Burrows have actually gotten to a SB.

Then again, Lawrence got a massive deal for three years of mediocrity. I guess that's the disconnect in pro sports, where pay and performance don't seem correlated. I have a hunch though that your numbers are correct.
Only way Love's deal wouldn't eclipse Burrow's is if GB fully guaranteed a $250mil deal OR the signing bonus was crazy high putting $150mil or more in Love's account at signing.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats true but I still don't care for the profession.
Agree with that. And who wants a job like that anyway? A job where you have to constantly ask stupid questions, even the ones you're told not to ask? It's like a door-to-door sales job. Well, the media guys get paid more I'm sure.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only way Love's deal wouldn't eclipse Burrow's is if GB fully guaranteed a $250mil deal OR the signing bonus was crazy high putting $150mil or more in Love's account at signing.
There was an article in CBS Sports yesterday that Love's team and the Packers are "far apart" on a deal. FWIW. Love will still show up for camp and something will get done.

I'd be ok if he got paid more than Goff and Lawrence. Those two guys did not deserve such rich contracts IMO and neither is as good as Love. But $300 mil and 5 years is probably a bridge too far and I'm not ok with him getting a bigger deal than Burrows, although he most certainly will. These contracts are like a ratchet going in one direction - up.

As you say, the real value of a contract is determined by the signing bonus and guaranteed money, and that's probably where there is some issue. It will get worked out.

Reaction score
Good point on escrow. They could also do that by getting a bank to guarantee a bond, but it's not necessarily an immediate cash outlay.

And yeah, you're right of course - anyone would walk for another $20 mil. Poor example. Then again, when a team is cap rich and they want a guy, they'll overpay. Certainly the Packers overpaid for McKinney. Doesn't make it a bad move. It was a good move considering the situation at S and they paid what it took to get him. But the Giants didn't match, maybe due to their own cap constraints.
Hey Joe.
Another way I look at this that contract is across the 4 years. You’re probably correct in that 2024 is a slight overpay.
I think I saw his market was predicted between $10.4 low and $15Mil high per season. But several things factor, length of contract and projection of said player and guarantee. Also the supply of Safeties could be argued to lower his price. My guess? I think Brian thinks he’s one of the top couple Safeties in the league. In general we might be $2-3mil annually higher. Thats the price to pay to steal him and taking what might be our biggest weakness into a strength

“CBS Sports salary cap analyst Joel Corry, a former sports agent, recently laid out the contract he would target if he were representing McKinney. Corry’s ask. A three-year, $45 million contract ($15 million annually) with $31.5 million fully guaranteed at signing”.
Packers got him for $23Mil guaranteed, so he’s got a “hard” contract out after 1 season. It’s a 2-2 is what Aaron Rodgers would say.

Last point I thought was important was His Transition tag was $13.8mil had the Giants applied that and he made it known that wasn’t happening, he wasn’t signing for anything South of $15Mil on a multi year. I guess he was right!! :laugh:

Last edited:
Reaction score
My guess is Love’s Corner might be asking for too much. GB had often been fair in paying players for their performance. Love put on a clinic, so I have a hard time believing it would be less than $50mil or more than $55mil offer, which is not some insult. I could see negotiations bringing that number as high as $56-57mil but that’s even speculative.

Burrow had a wrist injury last season, has Won 5 playoff games for the Bengals and competed in a SB in his 2nd year as Starter. Joe also completed 68% of his career passes (4% higher than Love) and attained 34 TD+ in each of his 2 FULL seasons. (Both higher than Love). Burrow holds a better Pass %, better TD per game, better Passer rating, better TD/INT ratio. Also More Wins per start or better Win Loss record in both Regular AND Postseason. I don’t get why Jordan would expect $5Mil more yearly and doesn’t have a better resume and certainly not a longer resume either. Also take Pat Mahomes restructure. Just last year they worked out a $52.4Mil annual from last year through 2026. So why is Jordan worth $60mil or more annual?

If that’s the game they want to play. Give him $$70mil annual for 20 years with $40 guaranteed. Bucks not million

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was an article in CBS Sports yesterday that Love's team and the Packers are "far apart" on a deal. FWIW. Love will still show up for camp and something will get done.
I find it hard to believe they'd extend Kenny Clark for $64 million today without knowing what they're paying Love.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is Love’s Corner is asking for $60mil average. GB had often been fair in paying players for their performance. Love put on a clinic, so I have a hard time believing it would be less than $50mil or more than $55mil offer, which is not some insult. I could see negotiations bringing that number as high as $57.5Mil. But someone explain to me why Love’s contract is worth $25m more than Joe Cool?

Burrow had a wrist injury last season, has Won 5 playoff games for the Bengals and competed in a SB in his 2nd year as Starter. Joe also completed 68% of his career passes (4% higher than Love) and attained 34 TD+ in each of his 2 FULL seasons. (Both higher than Love). Burrow holds a better Pass %, better TD per game, better Passer rating, better TD/INT ratio. Also More Wins per start or better Win Loss record in both Regular AND Postseason. I don’t get why Jordan would expect $5Mil more yearly and doesn’t have as good a resume. For me? Statistically looking across the league market I’d put Jordan is in that $50Mil ballpark annual average. Might vary a few million depending on guaranteed but take Mahomes restructure. Just last year they worked out a $52.4Mil annual from last year through 2026. So why is Jordan worth $60mil annual?
He's not but he is the next man up and that's what they get. Whether they are worth it or not has become irrelevant. Personally I envision something between 55 and 60 and I guess I'm fine with that.