A.J. Dillon tests positive for COVID-19 [OP from 11/2020]

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Shutting down, in the truest sense (home for weeks) would rid the planet of COVID-19 transmission. There is no question. Eliminate the transmission, eliminate the virus (within humans).

You believe that we could rid the planet of viral diseases if we all stayed home for a month?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You believe that we could rid the planet of viral diseases if we all stayed home for a month?

No, read my statement and don't extrapolate. Staying at home would not rid us of HPV, HIV, ******, chicken pox, etc.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No, read my statement and don't extrapolate. Staying at home would not rid us of HPV, HIV, ******, chicken pox, etc.

I have my doubts. But there's literally no way to test the hypothesis.

Where stringent lockdown measures have been employed, as in the EU, cases are dramatically blowing up. The WHO has even acknowledged that they don't work at this point.

And a pretty significant portion of excess deaths in the US this year are not Covid-19 related-- meaning they're likely a result of lockdown collateral damage.

Unless you're going to overwhelm your hospitals and have people dying unnecessarily because they can't access medical care, there's no good use for a lockdown.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We actually do know that they would not have worked. Several countries in Europe locked down hard, and they are getting crushed right now.

Lockdowns are a delay tactic, not a solution. If you lock down hard, you buy time. But the wave will catch up when you release the lock down.

Hence why the U.S. was criticized for not following the tactics common in the E.U. until fairly recently, when the cases in the E.U. started to sky rocket.

Similarly, the states in the U.S. that avoided big waves in the early stages are being hit harder now. The states that got hit the hardest earlier are not.

essentially nothing we do/ could’ve done would’ve worked short of a law mandating everyone stay in their house unless absolutely essential workers with an n95 mask on at all times. The spread was/is inevitable in a large, functioning society.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can lockdown all you want, I’m living in a free nation, and yes there are viruses everywhere. Expert Dr’s carry malpractice insurance because there are around 250k deaths caused by those experts.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They and other teams have actually impressed me. I thought this would be a train wreck. My Badgers are more like what I expected to hit the NFL. But NFL players also aren't living on college campuses with as much of the "gotta get out and party" mentality that some college players probably have.
I figured colleges would be a mess and that many teams seasons would be disrupted. The NFL imo has much better control over player movement and I assumed the season would go pretty much like mlb and nba have gone. College kids don’t care much imo because they are in extremely low risk age group. I think the professors are the ones at high risk for the most part. I’m also impressed with how the players and the league have handled this.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can this **** show of a thread be locked already

It's funny how many people will contribute to a **** show under the guise of complaining about a **** show.

The hide thread feature is your friend.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
College kids don’t care much imo because they are in extremely low risk age group. I think the professors are the ones at high risk for the most part.

In a nutshell, you have hit the nail on the head and not just in regards to football, as to why this rages on.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
essentially nothing we do/ could’ve done would’ve worked short of a law mandating everyone stay in their house unless absolutely essential workers with an n95 mask on at all times. The spread was/is inevitable in a large, functioning society.

Pretty much.

You can use targeted lock downs to spread waves of infection out over longer periods of time so as to not push the hospital systems beyond their capacity.

Otherwise, you work on better therapeutics, work on a vaccine, and deal with the reality that viruses exist. After that, the policy ought to be leaving people free to make their own choices and live with the consequences.

Not only do stringent lockdowns and universal masking not actually accomplish their goal, but it's immoral to cram down policy on citizens for a virus with an estimated recovery rate of 99.98%.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In a nutshell, you have hit the nail on the head and not just in regards to football, as to why this rages on.

That's nonsense. It's raged on basically everywhere in the world. People are just flailing around looking for something to blame.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much.

You can use targeted lock downs to spread waves of infection out over longer periods of time so as to not push the hospital systems beyond their capacity.

Otherwise, you work on better therapeutics, work on a vaccine, and deal with the reality that viruses exist. After that, the policy ought to be leaving people free to make their own choices and live with the consequences.

Not only do stringent lockdowns and universal masking not actually accomplish their goal, but it's immoral to cram down policy on citizens for a virus with an estimated recovery rate of 99.98%.
I didnt want to get involved in this discussion, but in all honesty, why is it immoral to mandate people to wear a mask in public places? I understand that lockdowns can weigh tough on people and should be used as a last resort, but surely wearing a mask cant be too much of an ask?

Even in the worst case scenario that it will only stop close to a negligible amount of transmissions, it is totally worth it if it would mean less frequent and milder periods of lockdown. And surely people loving of this great nation should be thankful enough to be able to muster the amount of solidarity to wear something over their face if it would result less fellow Americans dying? It's not like we're being asked to storm the beaches of Normandy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that I'm in the minority here, but let's keep this on the team impact. Whatever we think or don't think about the virus, at least one player is confirmed to have it and others may have it. The league is going through its protocols and it will impact the Thursday night game one way or another.

There is a high infection rate reported in the Green Bay area (the upper Midwest in general) so this isn't very surprising. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I wish the best for AJ, and that both the short and long term impacts to him are minimal.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams and kamal Martin have been added to the injury report as non injury related

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright guys.

If you wanna talk about this, make a thread on the off topic board.

As this is the football board, let’s keep it to football. If anybody cares to disagree with that and continue the conversation here, they may take a short time out.

I will leave this thread here, but if it continues, you are under warning of a short suspension? Is this all understood? Keep it to football.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I didnt want to get involved in this discussion, but in all honesty, why is it immoral to mandate people to wear a mask in public places?

Maybe they removed it, but the original "NFL COVID Rules" called for players to wear a mask during the coin flip, I haven't noticed that occurring. I also think it asked (voluntarily) players to wear masks on the sidelines and I believe in some cities, if there are fans in the stands, they too are required to wear masks. I haven't seen a lot of players wearing a mask on the sidelines, I hope Dillon was, but I doubt it. I can see this hitting more than just him, based on the timing.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe they removed it, but the original "NFL COVID Rules" called for players to wear a mask during the coin flip, I haven't noticed that occurring. I also think it asked (voluntarily) players to wear masks on the sidelines and I believe in some cities, if there are fans in the stands, they too are required to wear masks. I haven't seen a lot of players wearing a mask on the sidelines, I hope Dillon was, but I doubt it. I can see this hitting more than just him, based on the timing.

I believe Poker still has me blocked. Could somebody relay my message to him?

Also, not sure how he’s able to have a moderator blocked, but in cases like this, that doesn’t work very well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I didnt want to get involved in this discussion, but in all honesty, why is it immoral to mandate people to wear a mask in public places? I understand that lockdowns can weigh tough on people and should be used as a last resort, but surely wearing a mask cant be too much of an ask?

Even in the worst case scenario that it will only stop close to a negligible amount of transmissions, it is totally worth it if it would mean less frequent and milder periods of lockdown. And surely people loving of this great nation should be thankful enough to be able to muster the amount of solidarity to wear something over their face if it would result less fellow Americans dying? It's not like we're being asked to storm the beaches of Normandy.

It's not too much to ask. Not at all. It's too much to force on people against their will under threat of government punishment. Especially when the evidence that they actually work is mixed at best.

Pre-mandate in my state, I was willing to wear a mask if a business required it or if it made people more comfortable. Post-mandate, I've obeyed the order and worn a mask wherever required. I'm not "anti-mask" as such. I'm anti the government using a virus with a 99.98% recovery rate as an excuse to violate constitutional rights.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand why players aren't wearing the masks. I was in the hardware store this summer, looking for a specific drill bit and for the one and only time got mask anxiety. I felt like I couldn't breath. These guys are trying to catch their breath on the sidelines, which seems like the worst time to put a mask over your face. I could see strongly encouraging it though, and even stating that players -- once they have caught their breath -- should take every opportunity to put on a mask.

If the NFL wants to make money out of this, they should sew masks into the front neck of each jersey. Players can tuck it in when they run onto the field, and then pull it out when on the sidelines. They can sell these Covid jerseys to fans, who would undoubtedly want a keepsake from the craziest season in recent history.

To me it's like life jackets, make them comfortable and second-nature and people will wear them. Nobody wants to wear the big orange life jackets and most people don't want to slip on the medical masks.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Alright guys.

If you wanna talk about this, make a thread on the off topic board.

As this is the football board, let’s keep it to football. If anybody cares to disagree with that and continue the conversation here, they may take a short time out.

I will leave this thread here, but if it continues, you are under warning of a short suspension? Is this all understood? Keep it to football.

Saw your post after I replied. Can do.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Back on topic-- Williams and Martin are out on Thursday because they've been deemed "high risk."

This is such utter nonsense. Now players without a positive test or symptoms can't play because they were near to a guy who tested positive, and are considered high risk to catch a virus that isn't dangerous to them.

They are at a higher risk to die in a car accident on their way to the game. What ********.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Poker still has me blocked. Could somebody relay my message to him?

Also, not sure how he’s able to have a moderator blocked, but in cases like this, that doesn’t work very well.
Blocked or not... his comment was entirely related to The NFL....

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back on topic-- Williams and Martin are out on Thursday because they've been deemed "high risk."

This is such utter nonsense. Now players without a positive test or symptoms can't play because they were near to a guy who tested positive, and are considered high risk to catch a virus that isn't dangerous to them.

They are at a higher risk to die in a car accident on their way to the game. What ********.

It's because they can be asymptomatic carriers and unwittingly pass it on to someone vulnerable (or the rest of the lockerroom). The tests take days to come back, holding them out is their protocol. Further, we don't know their medical history to the full extent so saying it's not dangerous to them in a cavalier manner is naive. I won't even respond to the car accident line. The trouble with the internet is exactly posts like this, people trying to come across as confident when their posts are full of falsehoods and no easy means of fact-checking.

I've said my peace, it was NFL related until the last line. I'll move on mods.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All this Dillon, Williams and Martin are out potentially with COVID news has completely taken my focus off the trade deadline, which I believe is in 2 hrs?

I am predicting that much like previous years, 3 pm goes by with no Packer trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts