2024 Training Camp Thread

Reaction score
I think Bullard and even Cooper are late first round picks if there hadn't been so many QBs, WRs, and OL taken early. gluten scored some value with these guys.
I agree.
I didn’t realize this but here’s some anomalies.
-A record 6 QB’s were taken in the 1st Round of the 2024 Draft. That ties a record that stood for 40 years (1983)

-A record 7 WR’s were taken in the 1st Round. Tying the # selected 20 years ago (2004)

- A record 23 Offensive players were selected in Round 1. Including every consecutive selection from 1-14 being Offense.

So I think you are accurate. There were some exceptional Defenders that fell and I believe we were waiting with open arms

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slow that receiver down .5 sec inside 5 yards where it’s allowed to tussle a little bit. That should be where an aggressive Defense plays to its strength and frustrates the Offense.
I think you and I are going to be very happy with what we see on D this season. Everything Hafley has said on this topic just screams that this is going to be his core philosophy - hit the guy across the line as hard as you can the instant the ball is snapped. Punch him in the face, impede his route, make him change direction, disrupt the timing, take away the QB's first option... make the offense adjust and play from behind right from the beginning of the play, don't let even a sinlge second of the play go the way they planned it.

Considerably different than the football we've been watching the last few years.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you and I have both said this a number of times - this was an absolutely perfect year to not need a WR of a QB, or a Top 10 pick OL, but do need safety and LB. This draft coiuld not have worked out better; even if Gute had planned it out a year earlier, I doubt he could have lined it up more perfectly.

And as far as OL is concerned, we did still get a tackle who would been one of the first half dozen OL off the board most years. He might have gone Top Ten some years, or at least close to it. And in most other years, Cooper and Bullard could easily have gone 1st Round, maybe even both.

I love othese last 2 drafts!!!
Yeah the last two drafts were really terrific. They both have yet to play out, but it's hard to argue with the selections. And depending on how Bullard and Cooper turn out, this might be a year where we easily forget who was taken in the first round.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree.
I didn’t realize this but here’s some anomalies.
-A record 6 QB’s were taken in the 1st Round of the 2024 Draft. That ties a record that stood for 40 years (1983)

-A record 7 WR’s were taken in the 1st Round. Tying the # selected 20 years ago (2004)

- A record 23 Offensive players were selected in Round 1. Including every consecutive selection from 1-14 being Offense.

So I think you are accurate. There were some exceptional Defenders that fell and I believe we were waiting with open arms
Thanks for the stats. Puts an exclamation point on a unique draft and one that fell so well for the Packers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it before - I firmly believe Myers will not be our starting Center this year and I pose we trade him now. Jenkins or Tom is going to be our starting center.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it before - I firmly believe Myers will not be our starting Center this year and I pose we trade him now. Jenkins or Tom is going to be our starting center.
I don't specifically recall you saying this Ty, but I totally agree. I hear Tom has healed from the pec injury. There is enough depth and versatility to do this. That said, I think Myers has very little trade value. If they do make this move, Gluten will take what he can get. They may just cut him. Anyway, agree that Myers is a weak link in an otherwise talented group of OLinemen. And the sooner Love has a long-term C, the better.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't specifically recall you saying this Ty, but I totally agree. I hear Tom has healed from the pec injury. There is enough depth and versatility to do this. That said, I think Myers has very little trade value. If they do make this move, Gluten will take what he can get. They may just cut him. Anyway, agree that Myers is a weak link in an otherwise talented group of OLinemen. And the sooner Love has a long-term C, the better.

Myers 100% has trade value. I'm not talking a Day2 level type pick but you're talking about an above average center that's still very affordable for a team to test run one year before deciding what to do. Likely if I'm Gute I'm wanting to net a 5th round pick or better in some capacity. Likely some team is going to face a center going down in camp or before the trade deadline...if you have a team with promise need a Center I could easily see us do say packages like one of these:

Packers get - 4th rounder
'Other Team' get - Myers and 7th rounder or a 6th perhaps

Packers get - 5th and 6th rounders
'Other Team' get - Myers

While many would overlook and even argue this isn't smart move...I would vehemently disagree. Let's be real honest for a minute. We have three guys with center experience and/or are better centers than Myers in Jenkins, Tom and then of course the lowest and untested at NFL in Monk. BUT that is a lot of options. Myers isn't coming back this offseason...he is going elsewhere and sure while he may get you a 4th or 5th round in compensatory....that isn't UNTIL 2026 draft. A 5th in 2025 draft is more valuable than a 4th in 2026 given the surge we are entering and having just paid and likely about to have to face some decisions in the next two off seasons. Keep churning the youth and finding the next ups.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Myers 100% has trade value. I'm not talking a Day2 level type pick but you're talking about an above average center that's still very affordable for a team to test run one year before deciding what to do. Likely if I'm Gute I'm wanting to net a 5th round pick or better in some capacity. Likely some team is going to face a center going down in camp or before the trade deadline...if you have a team with promise need a Center I could easily see us do say packages like one of these:

Packers get - 4th rounder
'Other Team' get - Myers and 7th rounder or a 6th perhaps

Packers get - 5th and 6th rounders
'Other Team' get - Myers

While many would overlook and even argue this isn't smart move...I would vehemently disagree. Let's be real honest for a minute. We have three guys with center experience and/or are better centers than Myers in Jenkins, Tom and then of course the lowest and untested at NFL in Monk. BUT that is a lot of options. Myers isn't coming back this offseason...he is going elsewhere and sure while he may get you a 4th or 5th round in compensatory....that isn't UNTIL 2026 draft. A 5th in 2025 draft is more valuable than a 4th in 2026 given the surge we are entering and having just paid and likely about to have to face some decisions in the next two off seasons. Keep churning the youth and finding the next ups.
I agree. I'd be ecstatic if Gluten could get a 2025 5th rounder for him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers sign QB Jacob Eason today as another camp arm while Love sits. Released LS Peter Bowden to make room. Looks like Love deal won't be finalized anytime soon. :(

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers sign QB Jacob Eason today as another camp arm while Love sits. Released LS Peter Bowden to make room. Looks like Love deal won't be finalized anytime soon. :(
Hard to say. I didn't realize that Lawrence and Burrows are the highest paid QBs. Lawrence is an average QB IMO. I can see where Love would want a better deal.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few weeks back, you mentioned several times that the team is very, very excited in what they see so far with Monk. Those were early days, though - has there been any more word leaking out on Monk?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few weeks back, you mentioned several times that the team is very, very excited in what they see so far with Monk. Those were early days, though - has there been any more word leaking out on Monk?

Yes, but you have to understand the process and expectations factor what that means. They were hoping they had a guy to push but likely not really fight to win a spot until 2025. The crazy thing is of late is how well it seems he is doing at guard...

Reaction score
That right there in bold is the case why I think Myers stays. Hes cheap on a Rookie contract first and foremost.
Conversely, I understand anything can happen and we have pretty good options behind him, so I can see a trade scenario not out of question. That said, I just don’t think it’s probable % wise. I do think GB is prepared to move on without Myers in 2025 though.
The fact that Myers is in a contract year and hadn’t lived up to his 2nd Round status? I see his obvious replacement being Jacob Monk.

While Monk logged an amazing 58 starts and came in as a starting Freshman. He got overshadowed in this draft by his fellow OL, Graham Barton.. for good reason. I think Monk playing half RG half Center and a little concern there handling a bull rush partly due to size.. puts him in a class where they might want to develop his role as Center for a year.

Reaction score
My biggest reason for keeping Myers is that we had a nice roll end of last season. Just getting comfortable on OL with relative inexperience overall. We can’t deny we looked good down that stretch last season and I’m thinking picking up where we left off. Note that Love functioned best for Utah State when he had continuity. When that was shaken up? He regressed. I think it’s dangerous to expect even a good player in Tom to just come in and beat out Myers in a position switch. Just my opinion there.

Not to mention I value a good RT more and pulling Tom away leaves another new position switch at RT. So maybe I’m not as worried about Tom at Center as I am who’s getting their first start at RT. Normally I’m more liberal on my approach to switching positions, but I don’t think a 5th is worth that right now. Not considering we likely get a 6th or 7th comp pick either way.

So far Myers has won a starting role going into season 4. He’s bested quite a few options. That’ll get sorted out in Camp and Preseason. I would agree with this much in a hypothetical. Myers would get 5th Round value in a trade and if someone offered a 4th straight up? I might sniff that.

As of this minute I REALLY like the idea of Morgan competing behind Rhyan at RG. I think Morgan could be a Rookie of the year candidate at RG with Love slinging it and this backfield. I think our Run game would be Stout. Then we have Monk who played RG. We’re pretty deep at OL

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but you have to understand the process and expectations factor what that means. They were hoping they had a guy to push but likely not really fight to win a spot until 2025. The crazy thing is of late is how well it seems he is doing at guard...
Of all the problems any team could face, having too many good offensiive linemen is probably as good a problem as you could have.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Word from camp yesterday was that with a backup QB, no Zach Tom, and torrential rains....the offensive line was completely and utterly dominated by the defense. Day 2 of camp - first day of actual practicing - still without pads. I don't read too much into it, except that you can never have too many good offensive linemen.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Word from camp yesterday was that with a backup QB, no Zach Tom, and torrential rains....the offensive line was completely and utterly dominated by the defense. Day 2 of camp - first day of actual practicing - still without pads. I don't read too much into it, except that you can never have too many good offensive linemen.
Might be exciting opportunity for a young OL to step up and make an impression....

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely. When everyone else takes a step back, it's not that hard to take step forward and distinguish yourself.

It will be interesting to see how Sean Clifford closes out camp. One would have hoped that he would have looked good out of the gates, but hopefully he finishes on a high note. If not, then the Packers will have even more riding on Jordan Love this season.

Reaction score
It seems like more often than not the D gets a fast start over the O. Some exceptions but it can even roll into regular seasons for a few weeks. Then it levels off.

Wraith09

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you and I are going to be very happy with what we see on D this season. Everything Hafley has said on this topic just screams that this is going to be his core philosophy - hit the guy across the line as hard as you can the instant the ball is snapped. Punch him in the face, impede his route, make him change direction, disrupt the timing, take away the QB's first option... make the offense adjust and play from behind right from the beginning of the play, don't let even a sinlge second of the play go the way they planned it.

Considerably different than the football we've been watching the last few years.
Hopefully. The key philosophy on either side of the ball should be attack, not sit back and watch. All those draft choices, especially in the first round, to lay an egg on defense.

Wraith09

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to say. I didn't realize that Lawrence and Burrows are the highest paid QBs. Lawrence is an average QB IMO. I can see where Love would want a better deal.
Well, if you count the signing bonus, maybe it is a better deal, but I think Jordan will outperform Lawrence this year. I think Jordan should have been paid more. We know the future contracts will probably outstrip the current highs quickly. Maybe the structure of the contract will be progressive in nature. As in make more per year in the back end of the contract.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have not heard anything about Pratt. I read the synopsis on the day and no mention of him. Is he hurt? I have a feeling that he will be the 2nd stringer. Don't know about his deep passing but they had been talking about his accuracy being good and that he seemed to pick up the playbook.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have not heard anything about Pratt. I read the synopsis on the day and no mention of him. Is he hurt? I have a feeling that he will be the 2nd stringer. Don't know about his deep passing but they had been talking about his accuracy being good and that he seemed to pick up the playbook.
Pratt has had a quieter camp than Clifford but then again Cliff has really had some black eye moments so quiet may not be a bad thing. I’ve not heard from any contacts of him being bad - my one contact said he is approach the days exactly as you’d hope - rarely distracted, was constantly listening or chatting with Love, MLF or anyone else in those moments between reps and rarely just standing watching like many.

Reaction score
Seems early on that Evan Williams has been making a case for why we moved up hard in early Rd4. He’s at minimum challenging Bullard for a prominent role in this Defense. The thing I like about Bullard is he’s position versatile, so it’s not a bad if we have another Safety challenge Bullard. He’s a very good athlete he can play multiple positions in the DB backfield.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the podcasts talked about how bad Clifford has been consistently in 2024. He's really kind of stunk up the off-season programs and now training camp, having several multi-interception days and no real bright spots to think of. Believe it or not, the guy did say that he wants Clifford to do well.

On the flip side, he said that Pratt hasn't had many opportunities. In the only main one, he drove down the field for a score. He suggested that Pratt should start the week as the #2 QB to see how he responds, and send a message to Clifford.

That's all that I know....and that it's only the first week of camp.